PDA

View Full Version : Bought an M1A SOCOM 16

NYsteveZ
02-13-2012, 6:26 PM
It was raining in San Diego today, and after work I decided to go to Turners instead of sitting in traffic. I walked out with a SOCOM 16 in jail. I wanted to add a bigger chamber rifle to my collection, and this looks like it will be a blast at the range, although again, I know very little about it. I also looked at a few Savage Arms snip...um, tactical rifles. There was one that shot 338, and I almost went for it, until I seen the price of ammo! I can see where someone would want to load their own rounds with that one. In the future, if I learn the art of reloading, I will definately consider that one.
I know the Socom scout is the preffered of the two, but how is the 16? I also considered an AR in 308, but they were over the $3000 mark.

Retzius
02-13-2012, 6:33 PM
Congrats! Now learn to reload if you haven't already. The m1a can be a pricey beast to feed. I'm sure youll love it.

epilepticninja
02-13-2012, 6:35 PM
I hate you....not really. Congrats. I've been wanting one too. Just need to sac up and bust out the cash.

BRO
02-13-2012, 6:36 PM
I have the Scout model with the 18" barrel and I really enjoy shooting it. I have a couple of friends with Socom's and they seem to really enjoy shooting theirs as much as I enjoy shooting mine. I think your going to really like it. I would put a few hundred rounds down range before I spent any money on upgrades. The M1A's are great shooters using open sights, even though I'm in the process of scoping mine right now. Good Luck with your Socom.

Guns R Tools
02-13-2012, 7:06 PM
Handling is good, but bystanders say it is loud due to brake design.

NYsteveZ
02-13-2012, 7:06 PM
Thanks! I also picked up a box of ammo for it, which was cheap compared to the $120 a box they wanted for 338. Before I joined the military, I worked with a guy who got me into guns. We worked on school busses, and he use to reload at the yard! That was long ago, and also in New York. I wish he was still around to teach me that stuff. He had a Dragonov, M16s...and I bought my first gun off him-a Norinco Mac-90 (Ak). I wish I still had that! Of all his guns, he always talked about his Swedish Mauser with the leopold scope. I dont know anything about Mausers, but he told me to get one, and a Russian SKS to put away. I paid $150 for a Tula back then, but never got around to the Mauser.

SmokingSam
02-14-2012, 7:54 AM
Be careful with Mausers, once you get one they will multiply like AR's. If you want the best historical bolt action, the Mauser is it..IMHO!

02-14-2012, 8:58 AM
It was raining in San Diego today, and after work I decided to go to Turners instead of sitting in traffic. I walked out with a SOCOM 16 in jail.

I'd say that beats sitting in traffic anyday. Congrats on your new SOCOM 16. :cool:

TurboChrisB
02-14-2012, 8:59 AM
Nice, that's the very next rifle on my wish list....