PDA

View Full Version : How do I defend myself for 10 days?!

Chan
02-13-2012, 5:34 PM
Hey guys, bought my first AR last Friday at RifleGear. $730 OTD for a S&W M&P15 Sport. I think I spent the entire weekend just looking up mods for my rifle. I know, I should get the rifle first and shoot it before I decide on mods. But what else am I supposed to do for 10 days? Hopefully zombie apocalypse doesn't start until after I get my gun.

Anybody in the Orange County area want to take me out shooting when I get this thing?

TNP'R
02-13-2012, 5:44 PM
Such a shame, i was once in your shoes. Waiting 10 days sucks, what I did back then was watch all the youtube vids and read as much as I could about the rifle for those 10 days. Now I live in a free state where I can walk out with it the same day.

As far as defending yourself keep a bat and a knife close and hope you don't get robbed.

slo5oh
02-13-2012, 5:47 PM
Walking dead marathon?

bambam8d1
02-13-2012, 5:50 PM
sleep with a bucket of kerosene next to ur bed. place axe into said bucket. incase of home invasion, jump out of bed naked and light said ax on fire. run swinging flaming ax at intruder.

Dhena81
02-13-2012, 5:51 PM
Do what they want you to do call the cops and then take you to the hospital.

Chan
02-13-2012, 6:04 PM
I think I'm gonna go with the kerosene and axe suggestion for defense. Or maybe some throwing knives lit on fire and obtain some fluffy kittens and puppies as a defense army, nobody wants to rob a house full of fluffy kittens and puppies.

Dazwhoa
02-13-2012, 6:05 PM
Buy an SOG tomahawk from Walmart!

Jason762
02-13-2012, 6:05 PM
Buy a curio and relic face-to-face.

hefedehefe
02-13-2012, 6:06 PM
Wrist rocket, it's the updated version of what killed Goliath

bloodhawke83
02-13-2012, 6:06 PM
Don't bathe or brush teeth.

AS45-70
02-13-2012, 6:07 PM
If they attack before your ten days is up, you can help me fend them off with one of mine.

hefedehefe
02-13-2012, 6:07 PM
Oh and I'll go shoot with you. I am a member at firing line, and I go to On Target for the OC chapter meet to shoot my rifles :D

Johnnyfres
02-13-2012, 6:21 PM
sleep with a bucket of kerosene next to ur bed. place axe into said bucket. incase of home invasion, jump out of bed naked and light said ax on fire. run swinging flaming ax at intruder.

I am so going to try this, lol.

Moonshine
02-13-2012, 6:25 PM
In California the only weaponry available without a waiting period is limited to pepper spray, stun guns, and knives.

There's only one pitfall... zombies appear to be able to sense human flesh without eye sight so the pepper spray is useless, and they don't feel pain so knives and stun guns aren't very effective either. Therefore when it comes to the living dead I recommend fending them off with fire or blunt trauma to the skull... destroying the brain of a zombie is the only way I've ever found that seems to stop them other than burning them.

The other day while I was getting some food at an abandoned grocery store I ran into another forum member who told me that AOWs are pretty much the best solution for zombie issues. You don't need a lot of accuracy to take out zombies because they're slow and AOWs give you the ability to maneuver close in and hit all those craniums should a large group sneak up on you.

The strange thing about the zombie apocolypse is that it appears to have basically had no effect on the California DOJ. Their building is still filled with zombies that seem to wander inefficiently and aimlessly in a sort of bureaucratic manner. Even in their undead form they still don't understand the 2nd amendment and are prone to erratic gun control behavior :TFH:

romeo26
02-13-2012, 6:39 PM
dude...I pick up my stripped lower a day before you pick you new gun up!

I would go for a knife to defend yourself. A big one.

bambam8d1
02-13-2012, 6:49 PM
In California the only weaponry available without a waiting period is limited to pepper spray, stun guns, and knives.

There's only one pitfall... zombies appear to be able to sense human flesh without eye sight so the pepper spray is useless, and they don't feel pain so knives and stun guns aren't very effective either. Therefore when it comes to the living dead I recommend fending them off with fire or blunt trauma to the skull... destroying the brain of a zombie is the only way I've ever found that seems to stop them other than burning them.

:TFH:

see... flaming axe is the way to go im tellin u guys

jigenax
02-13-2012, 7:06 PM
I tried to embed the video but nothing worked so here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnvim4-fQeU

Bigtwin
02-13-2012, 7:10 PM
Use one of the other firearms you already own!DUH!

6mmintl
02-13-2012, 7:28 PM
Brush up on your harsh language.

NYsteveZ
02-13-2012, 7:34 PM
Get a slingshot from Walmart...Seriously, I remember playing with them years ago, they can be vicious! Not to mention-very easy to get in trouble with. The metal BBs have a habit of ricocheing and busting windows.
On the S&W Sport-awesome choice! I think it is a very well built AR, and it was my first AR I purchased after the military. You will be very happy with it.

Chan
02-13-2012, 7:43 PM
Flaming axe definitely seems like the weapon of choice if no firearm is available.

Decided on the M&P15 Sport because I was piecing things together online and came to conclusion that for the price, the M&P is perfect for my needs of just shooting paper zombies at the range. I actually was considering the M&P15T as well, it's definitely over my budget of staying under $800.

Omil
02-13-2012, 7:50 PM
OP, congrats! Great deal.

LovingTheYear1911
02-13-2012, 7:53 PM
Eat garlic and onions.

pat4wd
02-13-2012, 7:53 PM
From the title I figured you were in the dog house with your wife for buying a new rifle.. I just assumed.. LOL I guess I am getting good at hiding my purchases from the old lady and always assume.....:D

RuggedJay
02-13-2012, 9:46 PM
Molotov cocktails. And if youdont use them you can drink them.

waylonrobert
02-13-2012, 9:51 PM
What mods are you thinking of?

Colt-45
02-13-2012, 9:54 PM
Default How do I defend myself for 10 days?!

You don't. You're supposed to bunker yourself in your room, call the cops and hope all goes well. Sadly this method rarely works.

Gnome
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Such a shame, i was once in your shoes. Waiting 10 days sucks, what I did back then was watch all the youtube vids and read as much as I could about the rifle for those 10 days. Now I live in a free state where I can walk out with it the same day.
As far as defending yourself keep a bat and a knife close and hope you don't get robbed.
:ban:

Walking dead marathon?
Good idea. We call it research.:)

Sir,

I like your style! Shock and Awe..! :7:

Divernhunter
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
While waiting for a new firearm I just shoot some of my others.

PrimerDust360
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I think I'm gonna go with the kerosene and axe suggestion for defense. Or maybe some throwing knives lit on fire and obtain some fluffy kittens and puppies as a defense army, nobody wants to rob a house full of fluffy kittens and puppies.

Years before I bought my first gun (Ruger 10/22) I rescued a 120 lb. German Shepherd/Malamute mix. I named him "Torque." He is and will continue to be my first line of home defense, even after I finish my AR build and get a Mossberg 500/590.

Having to wait 10 days only makes every gun purchase here that much more exciting! I am going to keep buying guns!

kotton
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Theres only one logical way of defending yourself without a firearm. It involves cutting your hand off at the wrist, and modding a chainsaw to fit snugly on the stump.

its science

iano1
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM

You forgot muzzle loaders :)

Chan
02-13-2012, 11:48 PM
What mods are you thinking of?

Magpul MOE handguard (I hear the stock S&W are poo)and vertical grip and just decided on the Primary Arms M4 clone blemish. And a couple of pmags.

I figure I should stock up on some ammo, maybe even make some bang sticks (Probably illegal here in good ole California) with them until my rifle is out of jail. :chris:

pacifico23
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
No mods. Just save for that aimpoint or eotech. Every mod you can do can be money to a quality optic. And there isn't one mod you'll need to do to it over getting a good optic.

Chan
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
No mods. Just save for that aimpoint or eotech. Every mod you can do can be money to a quality optic. And there isn't one mod you'll need to do to it over getting a good optic.

Maybe if I were going to war with actual terrorist and not paper zombies and/or the zombie apocalypse I would get a battle proven optic. I don't see the point in putting a $500 optic on a $650 rifle for shooting targets.

Armucat
02-14-2012, 4:18 AM
You'll get through it, I just got mine 2 days ago. Its like a newborn baby, worth it when you bring it home. though much like a baby, there is some mess to clean up, wiping the storage grease off of it. But then you can admire it and learn all about it.

I brought my Mosin-Nagant home sunday, and already I've ordered optics, stripper clips, and a rubber stock pad. However I still have some waiting to do, I can't just go out and pop off a few rounds, I have to wait till I have time to go to a range.

Bobby Ricigliano
02-14-2012, 7:00 AM
Hey guys, bought my first AR last Friday at RifleGear. $730 OTD for a S&W M&P15 Sport. I think I spent the entire weekend just looking up mods for my rifle. I know, I should get the rifle first and shoot it before I decide on mods. But what else am I supposed to do for 10 days? Hopefully zombie apocalypse doesn't start until after I get my gun.

Anybody in the Orange County area want to take me out shooting when I get this thing?

You've stayed alive unarmed this long. Just keep doing what you've been doing.

TwinStick
02-14-2012, 7:39 AM
Buy cleaning gear, find instructions for care and maintenance, buy ammo and the 10 days will be over before you know it.

Armucat
02-14-2012, 7:39 AM
You could also get a bow or crossbow to satisfy any projectile yearnings.

CoyoteHunter555
02-14-2012, 8:20 AM
Sit at a computer with a bat with a nail thru it and youtube on your rifle!

gesundheit
02-14-2012, 8:43 AM
Dig a moat around your house and put sharks with freaking lasers in it.

romeo26
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
how bout a nail gun? it has gun in the name!

Exdc
02-14-2012, 5:06 PM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/111/9/1/Flaming_Zombies_Notice_by_Knickolaus.png
WARNING: FLAMING ZOMBIES ARE STILL DANGEROUS.

'Nuf Said. (:

BobbyZ
02-14-2012, 5:30 PM
My advice is to get a 'grill' in case you fight bite-to-bite (plus you'll be the most efficient zombie if you turn), then buy the puppies and kittens as mentioned above and use them as decoys to give yourself time to reload (ugh, no gun yet), buy some handcuffs and prophylactics in case you come across a super hot zombie, and finally you should eat a little bit of zombie each day to become immune. This is boiler plate stuff though.

ErikTheRed
02-14-2012, 6:04 PM
Cut off the ends of your shoelaces, fray out the little bit of lace that remains and push a sewing needle through it. Then get yourself a drinking straw and BLAM, you have a highly effective, lightweight, easily transportable blow dart gun. Zombies beware!!!

peter95
02-14-2012, 6:05 PM
Walking dead marathon?

This....

+1

IntoForever
02-14-2012, 6:17 PM
Hang out with the brady bunch. If a zombie comes at you, toss it a brady and run while it eats.

Chan
02-14-2012, 6:26 PM
Spent the day learning how to clean an AR on youtube and borrowed my brother's maltipoodle as a guard dog for the day. She got me no attention from the female neighbors, must be an ugly dog.

Moonshine
02-14-2012, 6:28 PM
Doesn't California have regulations on the amount of gun powder you can possess though?

You forgot muzzle loaders :)

RONIN.
02-14-2012, 6:35 PM
op.. here are you step by step instructions to make a home protection weapon..

1. do your laundry
2. end up with half a pair of socks..
3. take said sock..
4. go to the bathroom
5. get a bar of soap
6. insert bar of soap into sock
7. put on nite stand next to bed

then when said intruder enters your home.. take said sock weapon.. and swing it viciously like a crazy bag lady at the intruder's head.. repeat till intruder falls down unconscious, then call police..

ronin

and if you actually do this.. i did not tell you this, i was never here.. lol

10mm
02-14-2012, 8:27 PM

How did you survive before? Once you figure that out repeat.:D

drifter001
02-14-2012, 8:30 PM

i tried this once and it worked :D

Dhena81
02-14-2012, 9:01 PM
4dGOfFbzvq4