PDA

View Full Version : Loaning Pistols?

pat4wd
02-13-2012, 6:27 PM
All I can Find in the penal code is that it states you can loan a rifle for 30 days if I remember right

But what is the rule with Pistols?

What about My wife and her having it.. She will be getting her CCW permit when I go to reup mine and figured she could have a couple of my pistols on her permit.. Anybody know? Any penal code numbers?

Librarian
02-13-2012, 6:45 PM
Rifles and pistols are the same - 27880. Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm
between persons who are personally known to each other, if all of the
following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(b) The loan is for any lawful purpose.
(c) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration.
(d) If the firearm is a handgun, the individual being loaned the
handgun shall have a valid handgun safety certificate.

Could also transfer some of yours directly to her via the OPLAW form; buy some that are 'hers'; presume that guns purchased with community funds are community property and she owns them anyway.

postal
02-14-2012, 9:58 AM
Librarian,
Is there anything specifically as it pertains to your/her CCW with the same firearm? I thought adding a firearm to CCW had to be "yours", and the same firearm wouldnt be eligable for 2 separate permit holders.

Just looking for clarification.

Thanks

paul0660
02-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Librarian,
Is there anything specifically as it pertains to your/her CCW with the same firearm? I thought adding a firearm to CCW had to be "yours", and the same firearm wouldnt be eligable for 2 separate permit holders.

Just looking for clarification.

Thanks

Depends on the jurisdiction. Some check to whom it is registered, some don't. Call them and ask, and remember to whom you speak. There is usually someone at the office that knows the deal, and the rest do not.

Curtis
02-14-2012, 4:42 PM
DOJ told me that rifles can be loaned for the duration of the hunting season and handguns for 30 days. Longer than 30 days require a DROS. When pushed, they stated DROS does not determine ownership. This may apply to Librarian's statement of "buy some that are hers" statement. Although it goes without saying that I would trust advice Librarian over DOJ.