PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build:LPK/Stock

vliberatore
02-13-2012, 5:09 PM
I recently purchased a PSA lower and just picked it up today. Was thinking about a Rock River LPK and a Magpul MOE or CTR stock kit. But I figured I'd ask you more experienced people for some advice before I shell out the cash.

Any reason to spend the extra $ on a "name brand" LPK? Other than trigger, I would imagine they would all be essentially the same.

Any reason to go either way on the MOE or CTR stock?

And lastly, any advice that you more experienced Calgunners could give me is always appreciated.

Thank you!

dieselpower
02-13-2012, 5:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the RRA LPK. Reputable company and all. The MOE just doesn't have a locking collar around the buffer tube. People think this lock locks the release lever, it doesn't. It's more like a clamp that holds the stock more secure to the tube. Its worth the extra money, but isn't needed. The MOE is just like any other stock...most do not have this magpul only locking clamp feature. The MOE should have no more or less wiggle than any other quality stock would.

Tzvia
02-13-2012, 5:47 PM
The typical $70ish LPK from all the brands I have tried are very similar; not too great, rather heavy and gritty. I've tried DPMS, CMMG, Delton, RR, DD, Bushmaster and others I don't even remember. A step up would be the LMT or RR two stage trigger and they are much better and worth the extra IMO. On a budget, I would budget in the better trigger if possible, then the barrel and any optic/sight, then see what is left for the stock.

I've shot killer looking ARs that had horrible stock triggers and so-so optics, and I own some ugly ARs with 40+ year old used A1 stocks that have sweet triggers and good optics, and I prefer the latter.

Specifically on the stocks you mentioned, I did use the MOE in one of my builds (I've assembled 9 ARs and am working on #10 now) and it's not a bad stock considering the price paid.

Kalderis40
02-13-2012, 6:33 PM
I have the RRA LPK and the MOE stock. Just waiting for my Spikes lower to get released. My Spikes upper came in the mail today :)

jrtorres
02-13-2012, 6:35 PM
If it is within the budget i would go with the CRT stock. It truly does take all the play out of the stock. Is it necessary? No. But i'm the type that can't stand any wiggling or play whatsoever. If a little movement doesn't bother you then the MOE will do you just fine and leave you a little extra money to spend on something else.

Arkangel
02-13-2012, 8:36 PM
If you want a CTR stock, this is a great kit. It's what I put in my build.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/premium-lower-build-kit.html

Arkangel
02-13-2012, 8:38 PM
They also have the MOE kit.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/moe-lower-build-kit.html

icenix
02-13-2012, 8:47 PM
I thought about the CTR stock when I put mine together a while ago. I ended up spending more on the gun than I thought I would, so I "compromised" and went with the MOE and couldn't be happier. I have NO movement/play/wiggling with the MOE, which is why the CTR has the locking collar. I wouldn't hesitate buying another MOE over a CTR. Why the CTR is that much more for that one difference is beyond me.

Now, it could be that I just happen to have a tight fit with my buffer tube......maybe it will losen over time......but so far I can't tell any change......still tight as can be.

fmunk
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Two builds with RRA LPK, no issues. A friend did a build with PSA and experienced no problems. All mil-spec kits are pretty much the same. As for the stock, get what you like. Without another rifle to do side by side comparison, you won't know what you're missing.

vliberatore
02-14-2012, 6:57 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really excited getting to build this up myself. Going to be a good way to know how my rifle works in a whole new way.

vliberatore
02-17-2012, 4:21 AM
Update: I went with 2 things that I didn't mention in my OP. A Vltor Imod stock and a Stag LPK. Spent a little more on the stock than the CTR, but the Imod had better reviews and there seems to be quite a few people trying to trade their CTR stocks for Imod stocks. Seemed like the right way to go. As for the Stag LPK, my dad has a Stag AR rifle and I like the way the trigger pull is (granted I have never tried a 2-stage trigger) and it made up for spending more on the stock than I previously anticipated.

Thanks again for the replies.