PDA

View Full Version : Odd Handgun Import question

thatrogue
02-13-2012, 4:30 PM
I am the Operations Manager for a Company that has offices in CA, and NV. Under the President I manage all operations. I am a CA resident.

The type of work we do, puts us in contact with personnel property. We are required by state law to inventory and store this property for 60 days. We charge for this service. During that 60 day hold we send a letter describing the property and disclosing that we will dispose of all property after the hold period.

When we dispose personnel property we have complete desecration as to what we do with the property. Often we donate or throw the items away. Occasionally there are valuable items in the inventory.

In this case the inventory includes a SW 1911pd w/Crimson trace grips.

How do I lawfully import/register this Pistol to CA as it is now expired from the state mandated hold period?

Please excuse me if I missed something big here.

nick
02-13-2012, 4:32 PM
You're paid to desecrate property???

morrcarr67
02-13-2012, 4:39 PM
I may be wrong and believe me someone will be more than happy to correct me.

It sound to me like you have come in to possession via an "operation of law". And, in that case you might be able to use the OP-Law form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf?).

Librarian
02-13-2012, 5:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that would be 'discretion' as viewed through spell-check...

Haven't seen this one before; operation of law might be the one, but it would seem it would be property of the management company.

morrcarr67
02-13-2012, 6:20 PM
Librarian - If the management company owns it couldn't they determine who gets the gun?

I mean isn't that part of the operation of law? The management company determines what to do with the other property.

Librarian
02-13-2012, 8:48 PM
Librarian - If the management company owns it couldn't they determine who gets the gun?

I mean isn't that part of the operation of law? The management company determines what to do with the other property.

Probably, but then it looks like it needs to be a 2-step process, company taking possession and company then disposing of the gun to an individual.

Another thing to toss at the lawyers.

thatrogue
02-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Damn auto correct... Discretion was the word, How funny. So should I let this one idle and see what the concencus determines is the beat path forward. As I see it there is a few issues at hand. Transfer, and then importation/registration. It may need to be a step or two in Nevada and then a transfer to Ca via FFL. I could not be so lucky for it just to be operation of law registration form could I?

Librarian
02-14-2012, 1:00 AM
Damn auto correct... Discretion was the word, How funny. So should I let this one idle and see what the concencus determines is the beat path forward. As I see it there is a few issues at hand. Transfer, and then importation/registration. It may need to be a step or two in Nevada and then a transfer to Ca via FFL. I could not be so lucky for it just to be operation of law registration form could I?

Ah, a note of clarity!

If the property is in Nevada, and becomes company property after expiration of that notice in Nevada, then California doesn't care; quite literally 'what happens in Nevada, stays in Nevada'.

Somehow didn't get that from the first post.

But that does say 'FFL required on interstate transfer, NV to CA resident', which you already have noted. And that says 'handguns must be on the Roster', if there are handguns in question.

But a company can certainly sell/transfer a gun to an individual in CA - some of the FFLs here are corporate entities, and so I expect that happens with some regularity.

morrcarr67
02-14-2012, 6:48 AM
Ah, a note of clarity!

If the property is in Nevada, and becomes company property after expiration of that notice in Nevada, then California doesn't care; quite literally 'what happens in Nevada, stays in Nevada'.

Somehow didn't get that from the first post.

But that does say 'FFL required on interstate transfer, NV to CA resident', which you already have noted. And that says 'handguns must be on the Roster', if there are handguns in question.

But a company can certainly sell/transfer a gun to an individual in CA - some of the FFLs here are corporate entities, and so I expect that happens with some regularity.

Neither did I :(

On the good side it looks like this gun might be roster friendly:

SW 1911 PD SKU 108283 / Alloy, Steel, Stainless Steel Pistol 4.25" .45 ACP 2/17/2013
SW 1911 PD (Desert Tan) Laser Grip SKU 108296 / Alloy, Steel, Stainless Steel Pistol 4.25" .45 ACP 2/17/2013
SW 1911 PD Gunsite SKU 108304 / Stainless Steel, Steel, Alloy Pistol 4.25" .45 ACP 2/27/2013
SW 1911 PD SKU 108286 / Alloy, Steel, Stainless Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 2/24/2013

The Crimson Trace grips might be after market and shouldn't affect it. If they tell it does just take them off and replace them with some cheap standard grips.

If you find that this model is not on the roster again not to worry. The 1911 platform is the easiest to Single Shot Exempt. All that is needed is a long barrel; 9" would be a great size, and two long grip screws to prevent a magazine from being inserted and you have a SSE pistol.

Good luck to you.

thatrogue
02-16-2012, 1:49 PM
As per our corporations property disposal/donation procedures, the firearm along with a load of other expired property(mostly trash and clothing) will be moved to our corporate headquarters in CA this week. That is perfectly acceptable as I understanded the law correct?

Where do you reference the model number on a SW 1911? All the NV staff can find is the serial and (sw1911pd) on the frame near the slide rails. Please advise.