PDA

View Full Version : Which grade CMP M1 Garand to get....

redster
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Ninety percent done on the paper work I need to send CMP for my order. Now which one should I go with. Looking at the service grade and the service grade special. Harrington Richardson or Springfield? At first I intent on getting the CMP Special with the new barrel and refinished parts. I am planning to shoot it regularly and plan on doing military shoot competition in the near future. I had always wanted the M1 Garand since childhood, just finally gotten around to it.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Orlando
02-13-2012, 1:22 PM
Service Grade, use the money saved for ammo.
HRA or SA, neither is better than the other, a Service Grade is a Service Grade and is luck of the draw

Don the savage
02-13-2012, 1:27 PM
I have two service grades-one SA and one HRA. The SA is an awesome rifle accurate for me with irons out to 300. Do your part and it will serve you well. As for new barrels and the like the HRA I just got had throat and bore measures of 1+. And the date match as original. So I would definitely order the service grade and spend the extra on ammo and reloading equipment.

sephy
02-13-2012, 1:37 PM
I got a service grade HRA and have been very happy. Can't go wrong really.

0321jarhead
02-13-2012, 1:37 PM
I have two service grades-one SA and one HRA. The SA is an awesome rifle accurate for me with irons out to 300. Do your part and it will serve you well. As for new barrels and the like the HRA I just got had throat and bore measures of 1+. And the date match as original. So I would definitely order the service grade and spend the extra on ammo and reloading equipment.

HRA barrel? What year is the barrel. I don't get what you mean by Throat and bore measures 1+. I believe what you mean to say is "throat erosion and muzzle wear." There is no such thing as a 1+. It is measured on a scale of one to five. Please be more specific. :)

Eljay
02-13-2012, 4:59 PM
The service grades have been running really nice right now. If you have some extra cash and want more of a sure thing I'd actually go with the "service grade special" rather than the CMP special. They've been running basically unused metal with a new walnut stock - very nice shooters.

redster
02-13-2012, 5:18 PM
Yeah that is what I was wondering about the Service grad special and the CMP special. I do like them to look newish hence I was considering those selection. It's only 45 bucks difference that's why it's tough to decide. If the service grade special has the metal pretty good then I will go for that.

I just got my paper work notarized and and renewed my HSC card. Once I finally decide which one then I am sending this this week.

Orlando
02-13-2012, 5:26 PM
There is no such thing as a 1+. It is measured on a scale of one to five. Please be more specific. :)

Probably what the tag reads. Thats how CMP marks them, instead of 1.5 it will say 1+

Don the savage
02-13-2012, 5:36 PM
HRA barrel? What year is the barrel. I don't get what you mean by Throat and bore measures 1+. I believe what you mean to say is "throat erosion and muzzle wear." There is no such thing as a 1+. It is measured on a scale of one to five. Please be more specific. :)

Argue with CMP
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/8fac8c77.jpg
HRA barrel 1955
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/ddd06d51.jpg
HRA receiver 1955 serial
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/f15909d8.jpg
Does that clear things up?

M1NM
02-13-2012, 6:04 PM
It's only 45 bucks difference

Spend the $45.00 it's not that much ammo and you'll be happier down the road not thinking for only 45 dollars more I .......

microwaveguy
02-13-2012, 6:11 PM
I got a service grade and couldn't be happier.
Put a sticky on it if you go that way and ask for GI stock and hope for the best.

gotshotgun?
02-13-2012, 6:11 PM
The service grade will net you a great shootable rifle for the least amount of money. Plus you will have a chance at a real gem. Some folks lately are getting rifles that look brand new. Even if it's not that good it will be a great shooter.

The Special grade is ok too but forget about it's collectable value. The service grade will be worth more 10 years from now because of its original parts.

stevie
02-13-2012, 6:23 PM
Service grades are hard to beat

brianm767
02-13-2012, 6:46 PM
Have you check the CMP forum out? you can see what folks are getting on almost a daily basis, it seems Both the HR and SA Service grades coming out now are some of the best in years.

I would always go service grade, good shooter at minimal cost, if you want to spend more that's up to you, but I'd rather put the extra money towards a second Garand.

redster
02-13-2012, 8:39 PM
Just checked the CMP forum and your right. Them Service Grade CMP been sending out looks great. I just hope I get the same luck of getting an awesome one. I think I am gonna roll the dice and get a service grade Springfield and get some ammo and other accessories .

marathonman
02-13-2012, 8:48 PM
I got both an excellent service grade and this, which was an HRA Special - I'm showing it because it is a CMP walnut stock. I love them both.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4039/4569272806_5452a5759c_b.jpg

SKSer45
02-13-2012, 9:59 PM
This one is a service grade.
oinEMoz0j2Q

Don't know about this one.

UMlzn7Mu4Xw

Either way they look great! So glad I got my C&R waiting for my Mauser and tax return and MI will be mine! :)

pro-nra
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I would go Service Grade Special. It is pristine "collector grade metal" with new walnut stock. Don't ask me what happened to the stock of these rifles. The SA and HRA I got are just drop dead gorgeous. Find you a post war stock and you got yourself a collector grade rifle.

IMO HRA made the best looking Garands followed by post war SA, IHC, WWII SA and last WRA. WRA are the ugliest Garand hands down.

0321jarhead
02-14-2012, 7:19 AM
Argue with CMP
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/8fac8c77.jpg
HRA barrel 1955
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/ddd06d51.jpg
HRA receiver 1955 serial
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/f15909d8.jpg
Does that clear things up?

Why, yes it does. To bad you didn't show pics to begin with. That would of made a big difference. It makes a tremendous difference. It for sure clears things up now. Jeeeeze. I'll be able to sleep better now. Thanks.

cmichini
02-14-2012, 9:53 AM
Service grade is my suggestion. Hopefully you'll get usgi wood.

AlexKintner
02-14-2012, 1:04 PM
My service grade is in sediment condition. It did.come with the cmp birch stock and don't like it nearly as much as the GI stock my friend just got. Still a fantastic rifle and if I want I can always buy a walnut stock. Combined price would still be cheaper than the service grade special.

bandook
02-14-2012, 2:06 PM
Yeah that is what I was wondering about the Service grad special and the CMP special. I do like them to look newish hence I was considering those selection. It's only 45 bucks difference that's why it's tough to decide. If the service grade special has the metal pretty good then I will go for that.

I just got my paper work notarized and and renewed my HSC card. Once I finally decide which one then I am sending this this week.

Read the details CAREFULLY and you'll determine that the Service grade special is a better deal than the CMP special.

Service grade special is collector grade original metal - i.e. almost brand new. CMP Special is service grade metal with a new barrel. (both have new production stocks so that is a wash).

IMO, the special @ 950 is a better deal all around.

IANAGC (I am not a Garand Collector), but for the ones who really know, would this work?
Request USGI stocks on a service grade and if you get lets say a decent SA stock, get the SA special with the collector grade metal and you're well on your way to putting together a collector grade SA Garand.
(or maybe this is too simplistic).

redster
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Mailed it out today certified. Decided to just order SA Service grade as the price is appropriate at the moment since I just bought n 870 for home defense. I'll shoot this a bunch and down the road get another one. Can't wait hope it's as fast as what I've been reading on the cmp forum to get here.

rojocorsa
02-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Here is a random question I have?

Instead of getting a rifle off the CMP, how much does beat to s___ Garand usually cost? I'm talking something with no finish, and no barrel left--you know a total beater.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to invest in one of these and send it Shuffs to have it re-barreled and refinished.

I'm not going to do this right away, but how feasible is something like this? It's not that I would be trying to cheap out from the CMP, but I don't like the luck of the draw thing that the CMP does. If/when I buy a Garand, all I want is a good bore (new barrel would be perfect) and USGI wood (because I don't like modern stocks, they seem to be too fat and they come with that ugly powdery finish). Can't beat a nice piece of Walnut for a US rifle, IMO.

AlexKintner
02-17-2012, 7:29 AM
You really cannot beat the deal that the CMP is.

Eljay
02-17-2012, 7:55 AM
The thing that seems to confuse people is they seem to assume there's a lot of imports running around and there really aren't. If you go to a gun show or run into somebody selling a Garand chances are it came from the CMP and they've added a hefty markup.

2FFords
02-17-2012, 9:59 AM
CMP is the cheapest place to buy an M1 Garand. I havent been able to fiind one cheaper. I bought a service grade about last year with my tax return and it came with a new stock and refinished parts. Almost looked brand new. I believe its tax season again.

BigStiCK
02-17-2012, 2:45 PM
I got both an excellent service grade and this, which was an HRA Special - I'm showing it because it is a CMP walnut stock. I love them both.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4039/4569272806_5452a5759c_b.jpg

Where did you get the grip panels for that Becker? Those are Stunning:drool5:

stevof1
02-21-2012, 4:51 PM
Sent my CMP order out last week too for a service grade Springfield. Hope to get one from WW2. I guess I'll order a HR next time. Wish they still had carbines left. I hear the HR's are coming back looking unused! My brother just picked up a service grade and it came with a new barrel! He said it had mixed wood, but was in great shape.Here is a shot of his:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/stovens/2012-01-2095195736.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/stovens/2012-01-2095195714.jpg