View Full Version : Duracoat synthetic M1A Stock?

02-13-2012, 7:59 AM
Back 3 years ago or so when I bought my M1A Scout, I was Jones'ing for one with an OD Green stock. Couldn't find one and settled for a black synthetic one.

Just ordered a Duracoat Shake and Spray one color kit in OD Green and wanted to get the opinions of folks who have used this product, particularly if you've done so on a synthetic M1A stock.

Mine has a couple minor scuffs from bumping other guns in the safe. Should I just lightly sand off the rough edges with extra fine sandpaper and blend it in prior to "painting" it?

Obviously, I'll prep it really well to ensure the finish sticks. Does this stuff hold up well?

Any advice?

02-13-2012, 9:27 AM
I just finish Duracoating an old USGI fiberglass stock in Tactical Dark Earth. The stock is old and has some scuffs marks similar to your. I was hoping the pain would hide those marks, I was wrong.
Short answer: yes, prep that baby real well.
And the pain is very tough, great for weapon use.

02-13-2012, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the response. I sort of figured that it wouldn't "hide" surface blemishes too well. I'll gently hand sand the scuffed area and blend it in. It will be smooth without any ridges or high spots, but my guess is that unless I paint it, it will be evident that I did this.

Last thing I want is to apply the Duracoat and find out later that it doesn't adhere well to the synthetic, or more likely, that the synthetic is so soft that future knicks and dings just chip off the green paint revealing the black underneath.

I guess I'll find out!!!