PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine not firing

TonyMang_89
02-13-2012, 6:42 AM
Was hoping someone on here could help me out , my rifle seems to be hitting the primer but not hard enough. I am guessing it's the firing pin but wanted to ask to see if anyone had any other ideas. Really wanna get this thing shooting again , way too much fun .

Thanks for any advice

Sailormilan2
02-13-2012, 6:53 AM
It could be several things. First, are you using factory ammo or reloads? If they are reloads, have the cases been trimmed to the proper length? Are the cases crimped, causing a bulge. Either of those things will prevent the bolt from closing fully and not allow the firing pin to hit the primer or strike with enough force to set it off.
Second, have you cleaned the bolt? Stuff in the firing pin channel in the bolt could be causing the firing pin to hang up.
Thrid, someone may have trimmed the hammer spring. It should be 2 1/2" long when it is out of the gun. I got one from the CMP that someone had cut to 1 1/2".
Fourth, is your op rod/slide spring within specs? I would replace it. A weak or worn spring may not have enough force to close the bolt fully. See #1 above.
When replacing springs, do not use Wolf springs. They are too strong and often cause as many problems as they supposedly cure.

TonyMang_89
02-13-2012, 6:57 AM
I am using Aguila factory ammo. Thank you for the info Sailormilan i'll have to tear it apart tonight after work and check the bolt and rod/slide spring

bohoki
02-13-2012, 9:04 AM
aguila is good stuff did this just come on suddenly or is it a new purchase of a used

general_disarray_prk
02-13-2012, 9:25 AM
If your bolt is fully forward (in battery) w/ a round in the chamber, and after pulling the trigger you're getting "no bang" - BUT - you're getting a very light indentation/mark on the primer, then more than likely your hammer spring needs replacing.

littlejake
02-13-2012, 9:44 AM
I'd almost bet on the hammer spring.

One area not mentioned -- if all else fails check the headspace. Excessive headspace will obviously cause light FP strikes.

TonyMang_89
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
If your bolt is fully forward (in battery) w/ a round in the chamber, and after pulling the trigger you're getting "no bang" - BUT - you're getting a very light indentation/mark on the primer, then more than likely your hammer spring needs replacing.

that is exactly what is happening, i'll start by replacing that spring and see how it goes

general_disarray_prk
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
that is exactly what is happening, i'll start by replacing that spring and see how it goes

Go with NEW - because if you go with USED you might wind up right back where you started from.

Check with someplace reputable like Fulton Armory - or maybe even Brownells?

If this is the only thing you're buying, it might be worth it to call and ask if they can ship it in a simple envelope in order to keep your cost down.

HTH -

calwoodbutcher
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I vote for the hammer spring as well if the head space is correct. Numrich has good prices on NOS M-1 Carbine parts. Oh, make sure the bolt is rotating fully closed as well.

microwaveguy
02-13-2012, 8:17 PM
I had one that didn't like a certain magazine. I would get a click-no-bang with one mag but as soon as I swapped mags it worked fine.

The suspect mag worked fine in another m1 carbine. :mad: