PDA

View Full Version : AR15 legal advice

mwsenoj
02-13-2012, 2:07 AM
If a person had a preban AR15 but did not notify the state about it when the ban was started, would there be a way to make the rifle legal again? Would taking the lower and selling it out of state in Nevada and then buying a new or used lower in CA be the best way to go? Or is there paperwork that can be done?

MrPlink
02-13-2012, 4:07 AM
Legal advice is worth what you pay for it.

But you need to be more specific than "pre ban ar15"

Bete Noire
02-13-2012, 5:10 AM
Nope. Sell it and buy new.

PhantomII
02-13-2012, 5:12 AM
If it's a banned lower, there is no way to make the lower legal in Ca.

The lower must either be destroyed, sold to an FFL who is licensed for assault weapons, surrendered to law enforcement or removed from Ca.

But yes, replacing the lower with one that does not have the evil, deadly, baby killing banned words on it will make the AR legal again.

Note that just keeping the stripped lower with the banned words on it in Ca. is illegal as well. Those terrible words must be disposed of before they go on a killing spree.

killathrilla
02-13-2012, 5:14 AM
^^ funny sh$@ right there lol!!

dfletcher
02-13-2012, 9:11 AM
If a person had a preban AR15 but did not notify the state about it when the ban was started, would there be a way to make the rifle legal again? Would taking the lower and selling it out of state in Nevada and then buying a new or used lower in CA be the best way to go? Or is there paperwork that can be done?

If the lower is specifically banned then out of state is where it would be sold. Of course the out of state FFLs will know, once they learn you're from CA, that you are a "motivated' seller ....:(

In states like MA, NY, CT a "pre-ban" AR (meaning 1994 I believe) has the advantage over a new AR in that evil features can be used. I'm not quite up to speed on the specifics but I think what is here no more than a paperweight and in "no ban" states nothing special is quite the thing to have in those few states - a CA to MA pipeline for pre-ban receivers could be good for both.

Again, I'm not up to speed on specifics, how/if it could be done. Getting info from gun owners in one of those states would be best.

stix213
02-13-2012, 9:25 AM
If its a banned by name lower, either contact a gun lawyer to arrange surrender or break out a blow torch. Don't get caught driving to nevada with it. Felony charges aren't worth $100.

Bolillo
02-13-2012, 9:51 AM
1) Get a lawyer and do what he/she says

2) Stop talking or posting about it

3) Read the rest of this article for the explanation. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Possession_of_UNregistered_California_%22assault_w eapons%22)

tpc13
02-14-2012, 7:17 AM
Smash it with a hammer lawyers cost too much. Then buy an off list lower back in business, install a BB or go featureless.

AKSOG
02-14-2012, 7:46 AM
Best option for the lower

http://www.soyouwanna.com/images/cutting-torch-safety-8994.jpg