PDA

View Full Version : Transporting firearms quick question

indobos72
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry, but I don't recall seeing this so I wanted to see if I can get clarification. I am planning on going to BLM land to go shoot. The question is, I am taking my crossover and the vehicle does not have a trunk. I don't have lockable cases. JT do have gun licks for the firearms. How can I legally transport my firearms and ammo to the range? Any and all help appreciated. Packing. To go out in the morning so prompt Helpis appreciated.

dantodd
02-12-2012, 11:26 PM
You need locking cases for handguns. Long guns are fine and can be in the passenger compartment. Trigger or action locks don't do anything for you. You may be able to use a padlock to lock your gun cases closed. Many gun rags have a loop near where the zipper is when fully zipped, you can lock the zipper to that ring with a pad lock.

SouperMan
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Check out the Calguns Foundation Wiki on Transporting:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Vehicles without trunks

Since the trunk is not required, transport of a handgun, unloaded in a secure locked container, is allowed on bicycles and motorcycles, and in pickup trucks, vans and station wagons

Hope this helps.

indobos72
02-13-2012, 12:35 AM
You guys are great!! I love my fellow Calgunners. Thanks for the prompt response.

Bolillo
02-13-2012, 8:59 AM
OP,

Think about getting a lockable hard case. Here's one for $35 bucks. (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK-290485) For me, that $35 is 10% of what I would spend on ammo, and a third of what I'd spend on gas just getting to where I would shoot on BLM land. Stuff happens along the way where it might be better to have your rifle cased. Somebody forgot ice and the mini-market is within 1000 feet of a school. Vehicle breaks down and you have to get towed. Etc...etc.. It's really cheap insurance against a possible School Zone felony. Might also save you from some unpleasant police attention if you're stopped for a fix-it ticket.