View Full Version : BCM Frankengun... It's ALIVE!

02-12-2012, 9:07 PM

This rifle began life as a 20" HBAR Bushmaster XM-15 bought from Quality Parts in the mid 1990s. Since it made the naughty list, the rifle was killed, and later necromanced on a JD Machine stripped lower with the original Bushy LPK and stock. Then I added a Rock River Arms ergo grip. And last week, I decided I wanted to shoot instead of do isometric exercises with the heavy barrel, and bought a Bravo Company 16" M4 upper, a Mod 3 Gunfighter charging handle (I love those), and threw in the original XM-15 bolt carrier group (yes it has a properly staked gas key). Thanks to the good folks at Parallax Tactical who helped me put the handguards on, which were a b*tch trying to do alone.

Went out to Pauma area today and burned through a bunch of random 10-year old .223 ammo, 2 boxes of Winchester white box, and 2 boxes of Remington UMC which was also God-knows how old. The rifle performed flawlessly, and using the Magpul rear irons we dinged the steel silhouettes all afternoon from standing and seated.

No idea how far away those are, maybe 200 yards?

Oh, and one thing I learned is that if you buy steel targets marked for up to .44 Mag, that's not a suggestion.

Oops. Oh well.

02-12-2012, 9:49 PM
Hahah, I think there's a group buy in the commercial sellers section for some replacement steel :)

Scott Connors
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Not to be snarky, but putting a Bushmaster BCG in a BCM (or DD, Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.) upper receiver group seems to me to be like putting the engine of a VW Beetle in a Chevie pickup truck. It may well work for a while but sometime down the road you're probably going to be calling AAA. (I have had some bad experiences with Bushmaster products from this period, so I tend to have a somewhat jaundiced view of them. YMMV.) I'd recommend inspecting the locking lugs and cam pin slot as part of my pre-op.checklist. (Of course, this should be done with any BCG regardless of manufacturer. When I was wearing Army green I saw broken locking lugs on brand-new Colt M16A2s.)

02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I WAS staring at the BCM auto bcg on their site the other day. Maybe now that I know the rifle is otherwise good to go, I'll pick one up. Either that, or the nickle boron bcg from Parallax.

02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I see your frankengun, and raise you one franken-ak-hipower-pkm-m16-gun!!!

EDIT: In case you're wondering, YES....this is a real gun. Found in Iraq.

02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
I see your frankengun, and raise you one franken-ak-hipower-pkm-m16-gun!!!

desert ninja??? :ninja:

02-13-2012, 1:12 PM
Those Iraqi armorers must be a bunch of geniuses!

02-13-2012, 2:50 PM
just one question, if you had the rifle in the 90's, why didnt you register it at the ban?

02-13-2012, 3:04 PM
Remember the A-Team TV show where they had a half mac-10 and half-uzi and other weird combos?

02-13-2012, 4:12 PM
Cabinet guy, long story but to any LEOs, I am in full compliance with all CA laws regarding AR15s!