PDA

View Full Version : Timney triggers

Gladdis.45
02-12-2012, 9:38 PM
I'm thinking about dropping one of these in on my AR 15 and was wondering if anybody recommends them or not. I don't like the trigger pull on mine. Or if anybody knows of another brand. TIA.

bomb_on_bus
02-12-2012, 9:46 PM
I have a couple in my semi autos and love em. Good deal for a drop in trigger group.

KaLiFORNIA
02-12-2012, 9:53 PM
Love my 3 1/2 pound

cabinetguy
02-12-2012, 9:54 PM
i will be the first geiselee fanboy to chime in. not to knock timney, but geiselee is a damn good trigger, look for negative reviews, but not for price

FeuerFrei
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I use one in my coyote rifle and have had good experience with it.
The only thing I added to the install was to secure it with KNS hammer/trigger pins.
I just don't trust the allen screws on the Timney. YMMV.
Good for factory drop in.

Gladdis.45
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Right on. Looks like ima go with a Timney. Just not sure on the #...
Is there a big difference between 3# and 4#?? Or even 4.5#.

Twystd1
02-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I really like the 3.5 lb and 3 lb Timney triggers that are installed on my ARs.
They always do what they are supposed to do. I like the 3 LB the best. As I am very used to light triggers on both pistols and rifles.

No matter which trigger you buy from Timney. It will be a GREAT upgrade from a stock trigger. I also have a Geissele S3G on my newest carbine. It is also a very nice trigger. You won't go wrong with either one. And don't be afraid of 3 - 4 LB triggers. You will get used to it very quickly. Then you will be spoiled for life.

Wait till you try out a 3 ounce trigger (or lighter) on a Bolt gun set up for target or varmint shooting. You will never go back to heavy triggers.

Thats just my opinion. Yours may well be different.

T

AlliedArmory
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I have a Timney in my R700, but absolutely love the Geissele in an AR.

joelogic
02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
What's the problem with your stock trigger? Too heavy? Gritty?

ChaneRZ
02-13-2012, 1:11 AM
I have 2 of them and love em! Crisp and nice reset.

pat4wd
02-13-2012, 5:25 AM
About to bite the bullet on a trigger for my latest ar.. Man these factory triggers suck...lol Gritty, the force it takes to pull changes and tons of creep.. I have bad luck I guess, never had a decent stock ar trigger

GoBig
02-13-2012, 5:54 AM
Timney=very good single stage trigger
Geissele=awesome 2 stage trigger

I have them both.

The War Wagon
02-13-2012, 6:07 AM

I have them both.

Ditto.

With the caveat, that the Timney is IDEAL for a hunting /target shooting trigger, but LOUSY for a CQB/HD rifle. It's simply too much of a liability, what with no takeup whatsover. You don't want to be clearing your house from a bump in the night, adrenaline pumping, with a Timney-equipped rifle! :eek:

I run a Geiselle SSA in my primary HD rifle, and an SSA-E in my Mk.12 SPR. I did buy a Gen.III POF-415 that came with an early Timney trigger, where a screw backed out and locked up the works.

Timney's support was MOST helpful, and they swapped my broken, used trigger, straight up, for a spankin' NiB trigger, so their support is aces in my book.

email
02-13-2012, 7:25 AM
I like the AR Gold for target shooting. (Wish it was black, though)

jrivera408
02-13-2012, 7:38 AM

I have them both.

Own a timney, have shot a buddies geissele, and agree on this statement. The decision is in your application though. If you ever want to meet between Gilroy and Concord, you can try out my Timney and I can probably bring along a Geissele too.

Gladdis.45
02-13-2012, 8:03 AM
I appreciate all the input. My stock AR trigger Is too heavy. I have a two stage trigger in my AK that I like a lot. To answer the question, my AR Is primarily for HD and for when SHTF. I've got a DD upper and Spikes lower and a Primary Arms red dot, so i want it to run as smoothly as it can. I'm still learning the main differences between single stage and two stage. All I know is that the trigger on the AK is sweet and the one on the AR SUCKS.

Gladdis.45
02-13-2012, 8:06 AM
Own a timney, have shot a buddies geissele, and agree on this statement. The decision is in your application though. If you ever want to meet between Gilroy and Concord, you can try out my Timney and I can probably bring along a Geissele too.

Thank you for the offer! I may PM you soon for that opportunity. I'd like to see the difference between the two.

HBchevelle68
02-13-2012, 9:07 AM
wouldn't suggest one unless its gonna be a bench gun.

This is just my opinion of course, but i feel the timney's has a longer and softer pull with less of a clean break. where as if you try a geiselle (not sure if thats spelled right) they have a super crips break.

I have a timney in my rem 700 and love it! but i dont like em for AR's. just my $.02

Drivedabizness
02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
To the OP:

I have a Timney on my Model 70 and I love it - not the same application as an AR though.

And yes - it is light and you have to use trigger discipline.

The stock trigger on my S&W M&P15T was a little rough (5.5 - 6#). While it was in jail I spent $9 on a 4# J&P spring set. Makes a huge difference and SBR installed the springs gratis. Point being you may not need a whole new/expensive trigger for an HD/SHTF rifle - maybe just an inexpensive upgrade.

Gladdis.45
02-13-2012, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the info Drive. I may look into that option for another rifle. But as of now, I may be leaning towards the Geissele since I love the two stage I have in my AK. Also on the recommendations for having it on my HD/SHTF primary weapon. Now...what Geissele would be recommended? Trigger pull around 3-4#.

RONIN.
02-13-2012, 4:43 PM
they are a great trigger, depending upon your background and what you want the trigger to feel like, I often recommend trying as many triggers out as possible before you buy. two stage, single stage, lightweight pull, to even the heavier pull triggers before you cough up the coin for a expensive trigger..

ronin.

ps op if you do go with a timney, you will be happy with it as will many of the other quality trigger makers that are available

john.t.singh
02-13-2012, 4:47 PM
I have both Timney's, geissele's and CMC in my AR's and 10/22.

Timneys tend to be more expensive, but easier to install than the geissele (not saying much though as geissele isn't to difficult...)

Personally I like the geissele more and I feel they are more bang for your buck. A few vendors on Calguns have some pretty sweet deals the geissele triggers making them cheaper than the timney.

Although my Timney AR has never failed me, my 10/22 trigger recently ate crap and I had to send it back to Timney. Time will tell if they are willing to replace it or not.

Gladdis.45
02-13-2012, 5:58 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong. Timney only makes single stage triggers, like the factory one I have, but MUCH better. And Geissele makes two stage which I already have in my AK that I like. Not that I have either brands in either of my weapons. I'm taking from some of the above reading that having a double action is what is preferred in an AR, HD/SHTF weapon too. So I guess the only question I have left is: can anybody recommend a model and the vendor who haves them here??

You guys have really helped me out a lot and I appreciate it!!

john.t.singh
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I haven't seen any Timney vendors here but.....

this guy is good to go and his prices on geiseele are awesome.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=508569

Not all geiseele are 2 stage. Some are, some aren't. Depend's on what you are looking for.

Agent Tikki
02-14-2012, 3:41 PM
Combat weights go for the Geissele SSA. If you like a flat trigger bow, like I do, SDC.

Tier one arms is a site vendor, you can find his ads in the marketplace vendor section. Great prices too if you offer cash equvilents.

Tier One Arms
02-14-2012, 3:50 PM
As a dealer for both Timney and Geissele (and several other trigger manufactures) I would recommend the Geissele. I run them in all my personal AR's, they are the best AR triggers in the world. SSA-E sounds like it will fit your need at 3.5 lbs, it's a two stage, there is also the S3G which is a hybrid between a one and two stage, it also has a 3.5 lb. pull.

SmokingSam
02-14-2012, 4:05 PM
I did a lot of research on dual stage triggers for my AR-15 and AR-10. I finally settled on the Jewell. I found the design to be excellent. Comes from factory pretty close to my preferred settings so it takes the least amount to adjust. It has four adjustments and can be set to about 7 lbs total all the way down to a few oz's. No need to bend any springs like on other dual stage triggers. I tried it on the same platfrom which is the RRA AR-15 National Match, against the Rock River NM dual stage trigger. The Jewell was far better than the RRA. The cost of the RRA was about $135, the Jewell was $200..I use it for CMP matches and bench rest (can be adjusted for HD too). For me and for the money, at this point, it works great.

Gladdis.45
02-14-2012, 8:32 PM
Ok, it looks like I'm going to go with Geissele. I really appreciate all the input you fellas have given me. It really helped in my decision making. I'm going to PM Tier One in a couple days as I get paid then. Again, thank you all very much!!

GoBig
02-19-2012, 6:14 AM
So did you "pull the trigger"? Which Geissele did you end up buying?

Gladdis.45
02-19-2012, 8:12 AM
I PM'd Tier One and asked him if he could ship me a Geissele SSA-E trigger. He's out of stock until next week, but he said he's going to set one aside for me and send it when he gets it in. His price is awesome!! Can't wait.

Yerman
02-19-2012, 9:03 AM
I love my Timney. I don't care for 2 stage triggers so I went with the Timney over other options. I think I got the 4 lb...

MrExel17
02-19-2012, 9:14 AM
i will be the first geiselee fanboy to chime in. not to knock timney, but geiselee is a damn good trigger, look for negative reviews, but not for price

Thought I was the only one. Geissele triggers first then Timney next just personal preference, both are euqal though just what you like but cant say nothing wrong about both in quality and performance , only of Geissele made a drop in/skeletonized :thumbsup:

shark92651
02-19-2012, 9:23 AM
Another recommendation for Geissele here. The triggers are awesome and even though the Timney is a one piece "drop-in", it is actually easier and quicker to install the Geissele.

G38xOC
02-21-2012, 6:28 PM
I really need to find someone with these triggers at the range .. I been rocking the stock heavy trigger for while , which i had no problem . I heard about JP spring conversion and it made it lot better ( for the $$$ put in ) .

but i really do want to able to feel the triggers you guys are talking about

Mr. Casull
02-22-2012, 1:25 PM
Send your trigger to Bill Springfield @http://www.triggerwork.net/contactinfo.html
and for about $35.00 he will make your trigger work like you want it. Tell him what pound pull you want it he will make it happen.