PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Featureless Frankenbuild

Bobby Ricigliano
02-12-2012, 8:18 PM
So here is my latest monstrosity. I have not the time nor the budget for exquisitely handmade, custom, trick, fancy rifles with the latest and greatest gadgets. My EBR fetish manifests itself in the form of low cost, utility based rifles that are made to shoot and enjoy.

I got this AR in a trade a few months ago. I briefly put it up for sale and then for trade but had a change of heart and decided to keep it and I'm glad I did. Here are the specs, which have changed several times but are now finally settled:

Bushmaster all factory M4 upper
YHM muzzle brake
Matech BUIS
Primary Arms M3 red dot with Aimpoint FDE rubber cover
Midwest Industries Drop in Carbine length quad rail
Troy Rail covers (Painted FDE by me)

L.A.R. Grizzly Lower
Magpul MOE pistol grip
Magpul MOE Stock (Pinned)
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Midwest Industries Single Point Sling Adapter
Botach FDE Sling
Solar Tactical Kydex grip sleeve

FEATURELESS

Total Cost for everything: Less than 1K

And of course... "This thread is worthless without pics!!"

tomd1584
02-12-2012, 8:37 PM
Looks great, but.....please downsize this pics!

wsmc27
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Very nice. :)

We've been enjoying the Solar on our featureless as well.

tomd1584
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Very nice. :)

We've been enjoying the Solar on our featureless as well.

Me too! just made the switch about a month ago. I took my 4th carbine class (first with featureless) and it went great. I can't believe I didn't make the switch sooner :43:

Bobby Ricigliano
02-14-2012, 7:05 AM
Me too! just made the switch about a month ago. I took my 4th carbine class (first with featureless) and it went great. I can't believe I didn't make the switch sooner :43:

In my opinion featureless is the only way to maintain a Cal-compliant AR as a useful defensive firearm.

ADAM
02-14-2012, 7:43 AM
well done it looks great,

ConcernedCitizen
02-16-2012, 5:17 PM
That is a fine looking piece!

I am just beginning to learn about CA-legal Ar rifles and would appreciate your answers to a couple of questions:
It looks like it has "evil" features.
1. How is that not defined as a pistol grip?
2. And does having the stock pinned mean it's no longer considered collapsible? How is it pinned?

OK, that's three questions. Thanks in advance for schooling me.

GNE
02-16-2012, 5:24 PM
1. A pistol grip is defined as a grip that "allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing." The grip wrap prevents you from having a pistol style grasp because your thumb/web of the hand cannot go around the back of the grip. Other grips avoid the definition by preventing the web of the hand from being placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger when firing.
2. A pinned stock cannot be collapsed without breaking the stock or using a tool, so its fixed.

SuperSet
02-16-2012, 5:24 PM
Good work! Have fun shooting it.

Chaos47
02-16-2012, 5:26 PM
978.20 Definitions
(d) "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon”
means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger
hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the
exposed portion of the trigger while firing.

Once pinned it is not collapsible

Usually a small roll pin inserted in a hole drilled thru the stock and buffer tube.
Some Magpul stocks you can put a pin thru a hole in part of the lever mechanism and cause it to lock up

Nice build! Lefty huh?

PrimerDust360
02-16-2012, 6:15 PM
Nice! For my next build I am thinking of going featureless by purchasing a wood furniture set, routing a slot in the grip to insert a block-off plate between the back of the grip and the stock, or using a piece of quilt maple to make my own rifle grip that matches the fixed wood stock.

KGenter
02-16-2012, 9:55 PM
I am going to check out Solar Tactical's grips as they look like a much better option than a Monsterman and one upper I have is just a 20" crowned barrel so am wondering if I could indeed have some sort of post-ban type flash hider (compensator?) which I assume you must as my featureless MIA required me to change out the original unit for a California compliant version from Springfield in order to not have an illegal AW.

PS, like the matching Magpul rebuild kit.

Chaos47
02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
You can have a compensator or muzzle brake. Just not a Flash Hider / Suppressor

Flash hiders characteristically generally have an open front and or Prongs or Tines.
Comps / brakes have bullet size openings

Still a work in progress but...
Here's my Guide to California Featureless Rifles
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU

stix213
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Looks nice

FullAuto
02-18-2012, 7:51 PM
Looks good man, is that the one I saw when we met up?

johndoe2150
02-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Do you need to loktite the screws on the solar grip, or is screwing them adequate?

tomd1584
02-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Do you need to loktite the screws on the solar grip, or is screwing them adequate?

my general rule is if it has screws, it gets loctite. a drop of blue can't hurt.

hornswaggled
02-19-2012, 9:47 AM
Looks great!

Bobby Ricigliano
02-26-2012, 5:37 AM
Looks good man, is that the one I saw when we met up?

I hadn't checked this thread for a few days.. Yes it sure is exactly the same rifle, now converted to 100% featureless.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Bobby Ricigliano
02-26-2012, 5:40 AM

It certainly wouldn't hurt to loctite the screws. However, as it comes from Solar Tactical the grip sleeve is not going to come off accidentally if properly installed.

Additionally, if you take the rifle outside of California to shoot, the Sleeve is easily removed (where legal) and can be easily replaced before re-entering California to maintain legality. Legally acquired / possesed standard capacity magazines can be used in this rifle with no legal issues.

Bobby Ricigliano
02-26-2012, 5:43 AM
You can have a compensator or muzzle brake. Just not a Flash Hider / Suppressor

Flash hiders characteristically generally have an open front and or Prongs or Tines.
Comps / brakes have bullet size openings

Still a work in progress but...
Here's my Guide to California Featureless Rifles
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU

Your guide is well done. Seems worthy of a sticky as the featureless option catches on.

Munny$hot
02-26-2012, 6:37 AM
Nice rig, the only thing I'd add is a ambi safety since it'll help when shooting support hand. How do you like your YHM 5M1? any kick, muzzle climb, and is it easier to stay on target compared to a A2 bird cage?

Moonshine
02-26-2012, 8:36 AM
Looks good. My next build is going to be featureless for sure. I found an old Bushmaster Izzy Muzzle Break from the 1990s (needs to be refinished though) the other day that served as my inspiration.

BRANDON7766
02-26-2012, 5:31 PM
How did you pin the stock?