PDA

View Full Version : A new thought about SB23's shotgun laws

blkA4alb
03-29-2007, 6:33 PM
As I was responding to another poster about some shotgun legalities I realized something. This is what the law says about shotguns.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

The part of the law that I am focusing on is section 6. It reads (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following. What I was thinking was that if the shotgun has a pistol grip, but does NOT have any stock at all (Cruiser style) that that would be legal as well.

I don't think this had ever been brought up before, if it has, my condolences. Whether a shotgun like this exists or not is another story ;) .

Any other opinions about it?

KenpoProfessor
03-29-2007, 6:36 PM
I've seen pistol gripped semi auto shotguns for sale a lot of places. Definitely LEGAL without the telescoping stock as the grip is the stock.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

jumbopanda
03-29-2007, 6:47 PM
Hmm...are there any laws regarding OAL?

bwiese
03-29-2007, 6:48 PM
Hey Luke,

Great seeing you & your dad at the Calguns shoot!

The part of the law that I am focusing on is section 6. It reads
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following.

What I was thinking was that if the shotgun has a pistol grip, but does NOT have any stock at all (Cruiser style) that that would be legal as well.

Whether a shotgun like this exists or not is another story ;) .

Yes, you indeed could have a semiauto shotgun with either:
a pistol grip and regular buttstock;
a pistol grip alone;

Note that the 30" min length CA AW triggering feature only applies to semauto centerfire rifles, but not to semiauto shotguns.

So any semiauto shotgun w/bare pistol grip and no buttstock (and that was at the normal 26" min. length + 18" min barrel length) would indeed be legal.

Yeah, why not a semiauto 'Cruiser'? Might be hard on the hand, though - "Bruiser" :)

zeek1974
03-29-2007, 6:48 PM
semi auto's with pistol grips are kosher but don't you dare have a telescoping stock on your shotgun. that will allow you to kill hundreds of people a lot easier ya know :rolleyes:

bwiese
03-29-2007, 6:51 PM
semi auto's with pistol grips are kosher but don't you dare have a telescoping stock on your shotgun.

Not quite true.

A semiauto shotgun can indeed have a telescoping or adjustable stock on it, if and only if it doesn't have a pistol grip or vertical handgrip, and that is not a thumbhole stock.

blkA4alb
03-29-2007, 6:52 PM
Hey Luke,

Great seeing you & your dad at the Calguns shoot!
Likewise.

Yeah, why not a semiauto 'Cruiser'? Might be hard on the hand, though - "Bruiser" :)

I actually think the semiauto would be easier on the hands since the semiauto action absorbs some of the recoil that the pump action doesn't ;) .

bwiese
03-29-2007, 6:53 PM
I actually think the semiauto would be easier on the hands since the semiauto action absorbs some of the recoil that the pump action doesn't ;) .

Very true!

I've never fired my junker Mossberg 500 Cruiser. Will have to try.

!@#$
03-29-2007, 6:56 PM
many semi shotguns are recoil operated. i would think reliability would drop off without a solid hold. kind of like limp wristing an auto pistol.

383green
03-29-2007, 8:17 PM
Very true!

Hmm, so I'm not the only guy with a Mossberg 500 cruiser that I've never fired before? :D

Actually, mine started out as a Maverick 88. I replaced the stock with a pistol grip, mounted a sidesaddle shell carrier, replaced the foregrip with a Surefire foregrip and wrapped a cheesy riot gun heat shield around the barrel. Looks cool, but I'm not sure I could hit the blunt end of a barn with it! :eek:

grammaton76
03-29-2007, 8:25 PM
Hmm, so I'm not the only guy with a Mossberg 500 cruiser that I've never fired before? :D

Actually, mine started out as a Maverick 88. I replaced the stock with a pistol grip, mounted a sidesaddle shell carrier, replaced the foregrip with a Surefire foregrip and wrapped a cheesy riot gun heat shield around the barrel. Looks cool, but I'm not sure I could hit the blunt end of a barn with it! :eek:

Ooo. You're talking about one of those bullpup-ish stocks? If so, and not using the stock parts... are you interested in selling 'em? My roomie has one of those shotguns, and was looking for a second. I'm kinda interested in seeing if I could mod up an M590 into the same stock. :)

AJAX22
03-29-2007, 8:37 PM
maverick 88 also came in a non bulpup standard shotgun.

those bullpup stocks are like hens teeth. I've been kicking myself for not biding on one I saw on ebay four years ago. didn't know what it was worth at the time.

383green
03-29-2007, 8:38 PM
Ooo. You're talking about one of those bullpup-ish stocks? If so, and not using the stock parts... are you interested in selling 'em? My roomie has one of those shotguns, and was looking for a second. I'm kinda interested in seeing if I could mod up an M590 into the same stock. :)

I'm not sure what kind of bullpup stock you're referring to. The Maverick 88 is just a cost-reduced version of the model 500. It has a conventional fixed stock like any run-of-the-mill pump gun, but it's made out of plastic instead of wood. I took that off and put on a plain pistol grip from Turners.

I still have the original cheesy plastic stock, but I figure that I ought to hold on to it in case I ever decide to shoot the gun instead of propping it up in the corner. :D

Getting that Surefire foregrip mounted was trickier than I expected. It's designed to mount on the model 500's metal tube with the action bars after removing the wood foregrip, but one of the cost reductions that they made on the Maverick 88 was to replace that whole assembly with a single plastic chunk with the action bars molded into the end. I had to get a regular model 500 foregrip assembly off of gunbroker, salvage the metal part out of the middle, and then sell off the leftover wood piece on eBay. I had previously ordered the part that I needed directly from Mossberg, but I accidentally ordered the wrong length. I'm not sure whether I still have that piece sitting around somewhere. I might have sold it already.

383green
03-29-2007, 8:43 PM
maverick 88 also came in a non bulpup standard shotgun.

those bullpup stocks are like hens teeth. I've been kicking myself for not biding on one I saw on ebay four years ago. didn't know what it was worth at the time.

I guess that implies that they also came in a bullpup configuration, too? I didn't know about those. I just knew about the regular kind, and I bought one on sale at Turners a few years ago just to have a token pump gun around the house. I think that the only shotgun that I've ever fired is a friend's Ruger Red Label over/under gun, at a trap or skeet range (I don't remember the difference). I was awfully proud of myself for hitting some of the clays! :o

fairfaxjim
03-29-2007, 8:51 PM

C'mon guys, do you know how much fun a couple of old propane tanks or bowling pins, a few boxes of slugs, and a Mossberg 500 cruiser are? That's about the only thing that shotgun is good for, but man is it good at that.

Rhys898
03-29-2007, 8:59 PM
one of my customers has one in his safe. Here's a picture I found online.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0700/769.htm

383green
03-29-2007, 9:03 PM
one of my customers has one in his safe. Here's a picture I found online.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0700/769.htm

Cool. I don't think I've seen one of those before.

AJAX22
03-29-2007, 9:06 PM
You'll see parts of them come up for sale every so often.

The complete stock sells for between 350 and 450, but the individual parts can be had for cheap when you find them (people don't know what they are)

the barrel for the maverick 88 bullpup is interesting in that it has a dovetail cut into it that the cary handle actually attaches to.

you can't just slap the stock on another shotgun if you want to keep the handle, you have to have either a factory barrel, or have your barrel modified.

note: I haven't actually played with one, I've just wanted one really bad and stared longingly at pictures of them online in all states of dissasembly, I could be compleatly wrong about the handle attachment meathod (but I don't think I am)

Surveyor
03-30-2007, 3:07 PM
Very true!

I used to have a double pistol grip Mossy 500. The trick to shooting them is a sling. You kinda have to pull down a little on the sling while pressing in on your hip with your shooting hand. Keep your hand locked into your hip and pivot at the waist to aim. After about ten shots or so you'll get the hang of it. Then you start to be able to eyeball where the shots will go. I was always good for about 60-70 rounds of #7 shot, then I'd get sore. It's a really cheap way to spray lead, make a big boom and feel a powerful recoil. I used to shoot at milk jugs, old traffic cones, etc...

I did get a new one for Christmas this year, but it's got a standard foregrip and speedfeed solid buttstock with p/grip. Haven't got to shoot it yet but I'll be bringing it on 4-27 :D

xenophobe
03-30-2007, 3:16 PM
Yes, the bullpup shotguns are legal. During the whole off-list situation, one customer had found a High Standard HS-10 and we transferred it.