PDA

View Full Version : HuffingtonPost on recent arrests of two citizens with non-NY LTC in NY

vladbutsky
02-12-2012, 6:30 PM
Surprisingly balanced and thoughtful article from self-admitted gun-control proponent.

Even When the Subject Is Gun Control, Our Government Wins When Justice Is Done

My brother committed suicide with a gun. When New York City's murder rate was 4 times its current level -- guns were often involved, and they're still involved in many of the city's crimes. It's no surprise I'm an advocate of gun control, and a knee-jerk opponent of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-strauss/new-york-city-concealed-weapons_b_1271698.html

The author seems like a smart and balanced man. This is the kind of gun-control people with which it makes sense to engage in discussion.

gotshotgun?
02-12-2012, 6:37 PM
Agreed!

problemchild
02-12-2012, 6:55 PM
Yeah huffcrap gets you to drop your guard and the WHAM they slam you with a sledge hammer. Screw that site. They have done plenty of damage to the conservative side of the isle.

They also help NObama get elected.

vantec08
02-12-2012, 6:59 PM
Huffpo is part of the great "progressive" movement, trying to alter and even deny the Bill of Rights. They, and all of them, are down on the ground with . . . .dog piles.

yakmon
02-12-2012, 7:14 PM
i think the author missed the point of the people turning in thier guns, they expected to get them back on they're way out of the venues.

vladbutsky
02-12-2012, 8:42 PM
Yeah huffcrap gets you to drop your guard and the WHAM they slam you with a sledge hammer. Screw that site. They have done plenty of damage to the conservative side of the isle.

They also help NObama get elected.

I'm reading the HuffingtonPost not to get converted but to "know my enemy" ;)

mbuna
02-12-2012, 9:07 PM
I'm reading the HuffingtonPost not to get converted but to "know my enemy" ;)

Bookmarked on my favorites for the same purpose.

press1280
02-13-2012, 1:48 AM
I think the author was simply suggesting some legalistic ways of getting those 2 off the hook, and compared their situation to the discretion that Eliot Spitzer was given. I would be curious what this author's views are on NYC's discretionary issue, given that the 1%(or 1/10th of 1%) are the only people who get carry licenses in NYC.
Overall, good article IMO, finally someone actually thinking for once over there.

Mesa Tactical
02-13-2012, 6:07 AM
The author seems like a smart and balanced man. This is the kind of gun-control people with which it makes sense to engage in discussion.

Yeah, but "La la la, I can't hear you! Second Amendment! Second Amendment!" is not much of a discussion.

vladbutsky
02-13-2012, 7:05 AM
Yeah, but "La la la, I can't here you! Second Amendment! Second Amendment!" is not much of a discussion.

I know...
There are posts from our side that sound exactly like that and it does not help our cause much. :( These statements do not convince anyone who is not already on our side. They just make all of us look people who will not engage in reasonable discussion.
Fortunately for us such messages do not typically dominate discussions.

compulsivegunbuyer
02-13-2012, 7:15 AM
To paraphrase former U.S. Attorney General Reno -- the prosecutor's job is not to win as many cases as possible, but to do justice in every case the prosecutor handles

This rarely if ever happens. Prosecutors routinely throw everything they can at the defendant to see what sticks. $50,000 later you may be found innocent, or the charges may be dropped, either way you will get nothing back. Good luck proving malicious prosecution. There is no spirit of the law in these peoples minds.