PDA

View Full Version : Mosin m44 ever going to skyrocket in price???

chrisf
02-12-2012, 5:40 PM
I need some opinions, I had 2 mosin m44's and am thinking of selling the other one. Im a little hesitant because they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. What do you think in 20 years the price will be for them???

mosinnagantm9130
02-12-2012, 5:46 PM
What are the specs on the one you're trying to sell? Even the common ones are trading at $150+ now. Couple of years ago you could get them all day long for $69.

There's no way to tell what they'll go for in the future, but they aren't making any more...price is bound to go up even more than it already has.

chrisf
02-12-2012, 5:51 PM
What are the specs on the one you're trying to sell? Even the common ones are trading at $150+ now. Couple of years ago you could get them all day long for $69.

There's no way to tell what they'll go for in the future, but they aren't making any more...price is bound to go up even more than it already has.
Just a good ol' russian made 1944 mosin in good condition. Heck I got a couple offers on calguns for 280-300 the other day.

mosinnagantm9130
02-12-2012, 5:54 PM
Just a good ol' russian made 1944 mosin in good condition. Heck I got a couple offers on calguns for 280-300 the other day.

Wow. If it's a tula, that's ballpark value, seems high for an Izhevsk though. I wonder what my 43 would go for these days. (I'm not selling, just thinking out loud)

Ha, if I didn't put in that caveat, I'd probably get PM's with offers :rofl:

rodngun762
02-12-2012, 5:55 PM
I need some opinions, I had 2 mosin m44's and am thinking of selling the other one. Im a little hesitant because they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. What do you think in 20 years the price will be for them???

20 years from now I can bet you will regret selling it. That is all I can predict.

So you sell it for $150.... will you buy a replacement gun, or is that money just going to generally slosh around in your wallet to pay for gasoline, food, etc. I think a gun is a stable and profitable store of value over the long term. Better than US dollars probably.

I wonder what my 43 would go for these days. (I'm not selling, just thinking out loud)

Ha, if I didn't put in that caveat, I'd probably get PM's with offers :rofl:

For some reason there are a lot of '43s sloshing around... maybe they put all the prototypes in one warehouse. I have one too and I doubt people are going to pay much more than $225 for it.

Blitzburgh
02-12-2012, 6:13 PM
going to generally slosh around in your wallet to pay for gasoline, food, etc.

Exactly! Then in a month or two you'll ask yourself "what happened to the money I got for my M44?".... oh yea... Cheetos.... gas that day.... Big Gulp...

Like everybody else has said, it's only going to go up in price - they aren't making anymore. Will you be able to buy a new house with the money in 20 years? I seriously doubt it, but I paid $89.00 for mine at Big 5 maybe 4 or 5 years ago? And you see what they are going for now.

Same with most C&R guns. I saw a post here awhile back about a CZ52 - somebody was looking to buy one... I thought to myself "What... is this guy numb in the head or something? EVERYBODY has them for $59.00" Oops... they've dried up and now go for about twice that.

Don't sell it. You'll only regret it.

chrisf
02-12-2012, 6:14 PM
20 years from now I can bet you will regret selling it. That is all I can predict.

So you sell it for $150.... will you buy a replacement gun, or is that money just going to generally slosh around in your wallet to pay for gasoline, food, etc. I think a gun is a stable and profitable store of value over the long term. Better than US dollars probably.

For some reason there are a lot of '43s sloshing around... maybe they put all the prototypes in one warehouse. I have one too and I doubt people are going to pay much more than $225 for it.
I'd probably put it towards a m&p9 or sr9, All my guns are expensive to feed. I just bought the mosin just to have it. But it just doesnt fit my collection.

G-Man WC
02-12-2012, 6:15 PM
If you have a Remington, New England Westinghouse, MO, or [SA] marked, I'd say yes it will be worth more and continue to raise in price over time. But a common 1943 - 1948 is not (in my opinion) going to rise to a $400 - $500 rifle. -g

chrisf
02-12-2012, 6:15 PM
I know ill regret it, And my wife says the same thing. Ill just keep it around, And pass it down maybe my great great x4 grandkids can be on history channel pawn stars :) lol.

G-Man WC
02-12-2012, 6:47 PM
I agree, keep it. There very handy short rifle for hunting open sight. Fun and cheap to shoot and as you alluded to, you'll never be able to buy one at the original price you paid for them. -g

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 7:03 PM
They already have gone up +500% in the last ten years. That's "skyrocketing" in anybody's book. Will they go up more? Probably but probably not 500% form today's prices.

rodngun762
02-12-2012, 7:09 PM
They already have gone up +500% in the last ten years. That's "skyrocketing" in anybody's book. Will they go up more? Probably but probably not 500% form today's prices.

500%??? These were 30 bucks/pop in 2002??? I started milsurping in 2004 and it seemed the price was around 60-70 then.

mosinnagantm9130
02-12-2012, 7:27 PM
500%??? These were 30 bucks/pop in 2002??? I started milsurping in 2004 and it seemed the price was around 60-70 then.

I think the century U-Fix-Ems at one point were 5/$100, but I wasn't collecting then so I could be wrong...

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 7:44 PM
Big5 was RETAILING them for $49 back then. Now, retail (not straight from an importer) is over $250. That's +500% in my book.

rodngun762
02-12-2012, 7:44 PM
I think the century U-Fix-Ems at one point were 5/$100, but I wasn't collecting then so I could be wrong...

Actually that sounds plausible now... however, a u fix em is different than a VG condition rifle. But looking in my email archive this was a July 2007(fairly recent!) special from century on m44s: Russian M44 Bolt Action Rifle Cal. 7.62X54R Good Condition With Cracked Stock
Was $ 59.87 each Now (3) for $135 ($45)

jigenax
02-12-2012, 9:04 PM
Keep it. I sold some C&Rs and regretted doing that ever since.

m1a1driver
02-12-2012, 9:28 PM
Keep it. I bought my first one at $49.99 (romanian). It got confiscated by the police and destroyed (long story..) and I just recently bought a russian, it cost me $160 shipped so i'd say hold onto em unless you need the cash, or just sell 1 and keep the other.

doug-y-doug
02-12-2012, 9:36 PM
Honestly, if you have two...

If it were your only, I'd say keep it. But it's not.

Blitzburgh
02-12-2012, 9:56 PM
You know what I like to do, when possible, is buy multiple pieces when they come out on the market. Must be C&R, must be relatively inexpensive, and must be an item that I think will go up in price in the next 5 or so years.

Then when they do go up - I start trading them off or selling them for more goodies.

Take SKS's for example - when the Romanian's hit and were still pretty cheap I bought 6. Now they've more than doubled in price from what I bought them for so I start trading them off.

I always keep a few for myself, I'm down to my last 2 Romanian SKS's - 1 to shoot - 1 stays in the cosomoline and packed away. I just traded my last available one for an SKS Paratrooper and a P1 Walther, had to toss in a little cash also.

But I got a heck of a deal on 2 guns that I did not have, and my true cost in them is only about $100 for $700 to $800 worth of new goodies. I think I made out well!

rodngun762
02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
You know what I like to do, when possible, is buy multiple pieces when they come out on the market. Must be C&R, must be relatively inexpensive, and must be an item that I think will go up in price in the next 5 or so years.

Then when they do go up - I start trading them off or selling them for more goodies.

Take SKS's for example - when the Romanian's hit and were still pretty cheap I bought 6. Now they've more than doubled in price from what I bought them for so I start trading them off.

I always keep a few for myself, I'm down to my last 2 Romanian SKS's - 1 to shoot - 1 stays in the cosomoline and packed away. I just traded my last available one for an SKS Paratrooper and a P1 Walther, had to toss in a little cash also.

But I got a heck of a deal on 2 guns that I did not have, and my true cost in them is only about $100 for $700 to $800 worth of new goodies. I think I made out well!

That is a good strategy!!

Blitzburgh
02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
It works well most of the time and feeds my C&R addiction.

I know I'll never retire on these old guns, but that's not what I'm after - I'm trying to trade up so I basically get free guns.

There have been lots of guns that I've done this with, Yugo SKS's ($100 each unissued), CZ52's (originally $59.00), M44 Mosins ($89.00) and on and on.

My real wish is to keep 3 of each, but most of the time it doesn't happen. 1 to shoot, 1 to store long term and 1 to "pretty up", which makes the purists crazy sometimes. You know - re-blued, new grips, things like that.

But so far I have a safe full of things that I basically didn't pay for!

Tom-ADC
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Just picked up my M44 today, Its even better than the picture showed. Nice bright bore, not counterbored, matching numbers, I can't get over just how clean it is. Have to drag it out to the range soon.
Cost me $125 from a private owner very happy with it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37786&stc=1&d=1322094359

mosinnagantm9130
02-13-2012, 1:12 PM
$125? Good deal!

Tom-ADC
02-13-2012, 2:26 PM
Its a Soviet Union Izehevsk 1946r I don't know much about these even though I now have 4 different ones. I just like to shoot them.

bandook
02-13-2012, 4:08 PM

Wait until Nov/Dec 2013. Cash and carry guns will be a hot commodity the months before long gun registration comes into effect.

paul0660
02-13-2012, 4:18 PM
Wait until Nov/Dec 2013. Cash and carry guns will be a hot commodity the months before long gun registration comes into effect.

This is a distinct possibility, if a "two week" salvation isn't happening.

Otherwise, the great thing about buying a M44 for $300 is that you can lie about the price.

Tom-ADC
02-13-2012, 5:41 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=134268

zhyla
02-13-2012, 8:54 PM

Really? You think we'd be shooting more C&R pistols if they weren't subject to DROS?

I think the Mosin attraction is heavily influenced by cost. I like my M44 a lot for the $160 I paid for it last summer, but if I had to pay $300 there's other things I might buy instead.

They did make like 5 million M44's, far less than 91/30's but still that's a lot of obsolete rifles to go around.

Tom-ADC
02-14-2012, 5:41 AM
Really? You think we'd be shooting more C&R pistols if they weren't subject to DROS?

I think the Mosin attraction is heavily influenced by cost. I like my M44 a lot for the $160 I paid for it last summer, but if I had to pay $300 there's other things I might buy instead.

They did make like 5 million M44's, far less than 91/30's but still that's a lot of obsolete rifles to go around.

I agree if the seller was asking $300 I'd have bought somewhere or something else. Big draw for me on these is price.

TMC
02-14-2012, 6:15 AM

I got 2 for $49.95 in 2006 +/-. Good deal too, one is missing the cleaning rod and the other is missing the rod and front sight hood.

They're still in the boxes in the rafters I think.....I should go find them

McNally M.
02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I got 2 for $49.95 in 2006 +/-. Good deal too, one is missing the cleaning rod and the other is missing the rod and front sight hood.

They're still in the boxes in the rafters I think.....I should go find them

You should go find them, and then consider selling them to me! Haha.

I love my M44s. I unfortunately only have one Russian, its a common '44. The other two are Hungarian and Chinese. I am thankful for the variety but could always use another Ruskie.

bandook
02-14-2012, 4:23 PM
Really? You think we'd be shooting more C&R pistols if they weren't subject to DROS?.

Yes.

There is a nuisance factor of having to go to the dealer twice and also pay the additional DROS.

I'd have more C&R handguns if I could get them shipped to my house. Wouldn't you?

The price premium/demand will come from the people who want their guns off the books. Cost is of less concern to them as evidenced by the stockpiles of ammo acquired at fairly stiff prices during this presidential term.

The prices of cash&carry firearms will go up pre long gun registration.

chrisf
02-14-2012, 6:37 PM
Heck I got a couple offers of $300 that I turned down. Even if it never goes up in price (which I think we all agree they will) Its a nice piece of history to be had for a little ammount of money. Add on the fact that it shoots cheap surplus ammo, And that adds a whole different element. As well as being fun as heck to shoot!!!

SideWinder11
02-14-2012, 7:14 PM
skyrocket most likey not. Go up over 20 yrs for sure! Could be 1,200 easy in 20 years but 12,000 I don't think so

bohoki
02-14-2012, 7:18 PM
i would not hold my breath

they are not the same quality of the old german mausers

mosinnagantm9130
02-14-2012, 8:22 PM
i would not hold my breath

they are not the same quality of the old german mausers

Maybe not mid-war mosins....but I've got a 1946 M44 I'd put against a K98 any day quality-wise.

At least the Soviets managed to keep their parts milled...(yes, I am aware that a small number of 44 Tulas had stamped floorplates)

SVT-40
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Absolutely the best play when collecting C&R firearms. Buy in bulk when cheap hold them in your collection. Keep the best two and then dispose of them a few years later and recycle your money into the next batch.

metalliman545
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Only sell them if you absolutely have to sell it. Like you need money now. I used to own 11 guns, many c&rs I now have 4 left. I miss my takedown 1897, but I'd needed food in my belly, my truck and gas.

peterhungle
02-15-2012, 1:20 PM
Just bought a Russian M44 from SOG for $179.00. Should be arriving next week.

AlabamaBound
02-18-2012, 8:53 AM
So here's my dilemma, do I order a beat to hell T53 for $ 149 or an M44 in excellent for 179? Yes, getting one of each is an option also...

Opinions?

Raptor3000
02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
How are the M44s from SOG, $179 looks like a decent price.

What would be the shipping cost to CA?

Thanks

rodngun762
02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
How are the M44s from SOG, $179 looks like a decent price.

What would be the shipping cost to CA?

Thanks

SOG: 1-800-944-4867

(why don't you call them and ask?)

or the BBT people: https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request