View Full Version : March 3 & 4 CalExpo show in Sac; worth going?

02-12-2012, 5:06 PM
Wasn't really sure which forum to post this in, but as I would be going primarily to look at rifles I decided to put it here... my apologies if this isn't the right place.

Anyhow, is the CalExpo show worth going to? Back in the 1990s they would have these epic shows that took up 2 stories and were quite the sight to see. Around the early 2000s though I stopped going because it had degenerated into a single tent with some beef jerky and C&R bolt action guns and knives.

After seeing what a dramatic difference the bullet button has made to the shelves at River City Gun Exchange (it looks just like a gun store did in the 90s... almost brings a tear to my eyes!) I was wondering has there also been a dramatic change in the Cal Expo show?

02-12-2012, 5:09 PM
I too remember going to the shows back then. I was a freshman in high school and my older bro would drag me there and we'd spend all day there.

I went a few years ago and it sucked. Maybe it's because I searched all day and couldn't find what i was looking for.

Id like to try and go to the March one if I can get the days off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02-12-2012, 9:21 PM
I remember going to them with my Father back when all four of the big convention buildings would be full of stuff. Not anymore unfortunately :(

02-13-2012, 1:04 AM
Went to the last one this past fall. Only decent deals I saw were on ammo and supplys. Cheapest stripped lowers I saw were $99. Hell, you can get that at just about any decent local gun shop any day of the week. The front room (tent) was mostly ammo and black/modern guns. The back room was mostly Mil-surplus and nick-nacks. Also, ten freeking bucks to park?!!!! WTF!!!!!

02-13-2012, 8:39 AM
The gun shows now are nothing like it was before the AW ban. I use to go to the Cal Expo shows back in the late 90s and they had just about every type of evil looking assault rifles and such. Prices were of course inflated even for the hi cap mags as the sellers were trying to unload pre-ban rifles and magazines. I've since been to a few at Cal Expo but the prices from what I've seen for guns, ammo and accessories are not that great.

02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I grew up going to that show with my father as a vendor. I cant fathom it being the same

02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I was just thinking... Although the aw ban definitely hurt shows they were probably destined to disappear for the most part due to the Internet and a state with Internet savy consumers

02-14-2012, 6:56 PM
Still a good show, only not two story buildings
Why I remember back in the day........:oji:

02-28-2012, 5:40 PM
Anyone know if its going to the one huge building or the better tent/building combo from last fall?

02-28-2012, 8:44 PM
Is the ammo at least worth checking out?

02-29-2012, 3:52 AM
no it's not worth going to..