PDA

View Full Version : Put a Mini 14 in jail, now some questions

NYsteveZ
02-12-2012, 1:15 PM
I normally check the boards here before getting a new toy, but Big 5 had them on sale and yesterday was the last day. I know very little about them, but looking at it, I went for it. I know to get one with serial numbers 58xx (newer), and thats about it. I went for the stainless steel with the black stock, but both models looked excellent. I got it as a range toy/home defense, maybe something the girlfriend can shoot. My questions-It is stamped .223, but I have read in forums it can shoot .556...true? If not, no big deal. Also, will it accept an AR magazine? Finally, do you own one,and do you like it? Thanks! :)

cmichini
02-12-2012, 1:23 PM
Congrats on your mini.

I had one for a number of years (first centerfire rifle I owned). Served me well for lots of plinking during my college years.

The low recoil 223 should be one your GF enjoys. In my experience, they are great for plinking, but when you get past 50 yds. or so the show their 'carbine' genes (vs. 'rifle' genes).

From what I've heard you can run .223 Rem ammo in a rifle chambered for 5.56, but not necessarily the other way around.

Also, I believe the mini does NOT accept AR mags. The mini mags taper at the top, AR mags are straight bodied. Also, the mini mags have a hole in the front and 'rotate' into place (akin to an M1A mag) and the AR mags go straight up with the hole in the side for the mag catch to grab onto.

Experts will likely chime in and either correct my recollections above, or confirm. HTH

NYsteveZ
02-12-2012, 1:28 PM
Thanks! Yeah, the Mini brings back memories of my 1st firearm (10/22), with a little more punch of course. It seems like it will make a real nice range toy

Bhobbs
02-12-2012, 1:30 PM
Mini mags are not the same as AR mags.

I believe the Mini 14 is stamped .223 Rem but really is 5.56 NATO. Check the manual or email Ruger.

dieselpower
02-12-2012, 1:39 PM
remember that is a featureless rifle... no evil features allowed. I have read certain mini-14s are NATO chambered. You have to call Ruger.

c good
02-12-2012, 1:40 PM
It does not use AR-15 magazines.

Mossy Man
02-12-2012, 1:45 PM
To support others in this thread:

The Mini-14 is stamped .223, but it is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Your Mini 14 user's manual will confirm this. In my experience, I get better accuracy out of heavier 5.56 loads (like 62gr) than I do with .223 loads.

They do not accept STANAG magazines, and magazines in general are the greatest disadvantage of the Mini 14. There are not many good aftermarket Mini-14 magazines, so your best bet is to stick with factory mags. I've had good experience with John Masen (blue) 10-round magazines, and the Tapco magazines.

Overall, they're good rifles. Don't expect sub-MOA accuracy with this rifle, as it is probably a 3-4MOA rifle out of the box. And of course, like any rifle, it is only as accurate as the shooter.

They're great to shoot with irons, and from my experience scopes have been a hassle to get set up properly.

I am currently using a cheap-o tube 1x25 red dot on my older SS Mini 14, and it shoots pretty well at around 25-50 yards. Beyond that the dot pretty much takes up the whole target so it's a crap shoot.

Be weary of mount rails, as the integral mounts on the mini-14 are needed. There are a lot of picatinny-mounts that they make for them, but none of them are any good. They all put your sight way too high for a proper cheek weld and they just feel strange. Somewhat like putting a sight on an AK.

I would suggest getting a tube-style sight with rings that work for ruger integral mounts, use a traditional scope, or get an ultimak scout rail if you plan on mounting optics.

Mossy Man
02-12-2012, 1:45 PM
remember that is a featureless rifle... no evil features allowed. I have read certain mini-14s are NATO chambered. You have to call Ruger.

The only mini-14s that are chambered specifically .223 are the "Target" variety.

Go to Ruger's Website and read the user's manul .pdf

wsmc27
02-12-2012, 1:52 PM

Finally, do you own one,and do you like it? Thanks! :)

Yes, got one in the eighties, have always enjoyed it. Even used it in a couple Tac Carbine classes with good success.

Enjoy yours, congrats! :)

NYsteveZ
02-12-2012, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the info as always! AR mags isnt a big deal at all with me. I was just curious. If I do move to a free state, or God willing Cali politicians spawn some brains, I will look into larger magazines or rebuild kits.
I am thrilled that it will take .556 or .223, and the rounds for this and my Colt are interchangeable. I will read through the manual carefully when I take delivery to confirm before I shoot it.

Mossy Man
02-12-2012, 2:02 PM
can't help it, every mini thread makes me want to post pics of mine =D

http://i.imgur.com/SksdVl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6zJrKl.jpg

mine is a 2001-ish model. Pencil barrel

Mods:

Accu-Strut
Williams WGRS rear dual-aperture peep sight
Specter Gear 2-point sling
Cheap-o barska 1x25 red dot (and blue locktite)
30mm low-profile ruger rings
Tapco Gen 1 mags

echo6cavedog
02-12-2012, 2:28 PM
I love my Mini 14 (581). There are some things I like and don't like about it, but overall it's a great gun.

I like that fact that it's featureless so I can drop my mags. Get the new TAPCO mags, they've made some changes for the better. Haven't had one FTF since switching to them.

As far as scopes and mounts go. Well, let's just that say that until I installed an adjustable gas block system, I was never able to use one. I was never able to get one to stay on. Also, I got tired of slinging brass 30-50 feet to my right so I went with the adjustable gas block system at ASI http://www.mini14gasblock.com/. Now, I can get my brass to lay down on the tarp next to me and still get bullets on target.

DasBoost
02-12-2012, 2:51 PM
The Mini is chambered in 5.56, says so in the manual; ony the Target models are limited to 223.
Pic of mine: http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/012c4291.jpg

Have fun and enjoy!! Also check out PerfectUnion; essentially the Mini14 forum.

3GunFunShooter
02-12-2012, 3:00 PM
The best web site for all information on the Mini is www.perfectunion.com.
Over 166,000 postings about the Mini. All your questions can be answered there.
Lot of tips and mods to make your Mini more accurate and more fun to shoot.
And not that expensive.

axhoaxho
02-12-2012, 3:17 PM
Congrats to your Mini-14, I like mine.

Yes, your new 581-series can shoot both .223 and 5.56 ammos.

Here is a little review video for your viewing pleasure in the next 10 days before picking up yours :)

Regards,

ej39umHaB08

rudigan
02-12-2012, 3:19 PM
I normally check the boards here before getting a new toy, but Big 5 had them on sale and yesterday was the last day. I know very little about them, but looking at it, I went for it. I know to get one with serial numbers 58xx (newer), and thats about it. I went for the stainless steel with the black stock, but both models looked excellent. I got it as a range toy/home defense, maybe something the girlfriend can shoot. My questions-It is stamped .223, but I have read in forums it can shoot .556...true? If not, no big deal. Also, will it accept an AR magazine? Finally, do you own one,and do you like it? Thanks! :)

True/yes, mil or factory 5.56 or .223, see manual (mine is pg 11).
AR mags, don't think so.
Yes I do, bone stock, same model as yours.
I love it, super fun, always works, never jams.
I have found that with the ProMag 10 rd mags or the factory 5 rds, it has had no issues at all.
Congrats and enjoy!

Millions-Knives
02-12-2012, 3:27 PM
Also, check the videos on Ruger's website. They have detailed videos explaining and demonstrating the disassembly and cleaning on many of their firearms. The assembly of the Mini-14 can get a little tricky once you remove the charging handle and bolt.

russ69
02-12-2012, 3:34 PM
The only mini-14s that are chambered specifically .223 are the "Target" variety. Go to Ruger's Website and read the user's manul .pdf

This is right, the target models are .223 Remington only. As far as magazines go, use the factory 10 round mags, expensive but 100% reliable. The Mini-14/Ranch rifle is a great gun and the new model is very nice. New shooters really can't appreciate what a great gun it is. You will really love it.

P.S. Buy some good ammo to get you started, then when you have some confidence you can try some cheaper surplus stuff.

NYsteveZ
02-12-2012, 3:50 PM
Beautiful Mini 14 pics! I am so glad I picked it up. I cant wait to get it out of jail, and I will look into those links. I got mine in stainless/black furniture, but seeing the wood ones makes me want one of those too. I guess a Mini 30 is in my future!

gorenut
02-12-2012, 4:31 PM
Mini 30s do sound fun, but I hear of them having more slight issues, especially with cheap Russian ammo, which I think is one of the advantages of a rifle chambered in that caliber.

As others have said already, pretty much all Minis except for the Target model (which I own) will accept 5.56 as well. The one mod that I hear everyone universally recommending on the Ranch models is getting an Accu-Strut or something similar. It'll tighten up your overall groups and I've read of Minis getting between 1-2 MOA with them, but averaging closer to somewhere between 2 and 3 for most.

smle-man
02-12-2012, 5:53 PM
Congrats to your Mini-14, I like mine.

Yes, your new 581-series can shoot both .223 and 5.56 ammos.

Here is a little review video for your viewing pleasure in the next 10 days before picking up yours :)

Regards,

ej39umHaB08

This guy is a very good shot! I just did a stainless mini 1990 version and it is in jail. This will be my 3rd mini; had a series 180 way back when then a stainless in the late 80s which I traded, now I've got a used one from a Calgunner. Can't wait to get it. I ordered a muzzle brake for it, from what I have read it will help with the accuracy issues. The newest minis look sweet.

DasBoost
02-12-2012, 7:00 PM
This is right, the target models are .223 Remington only. As far as magazines go, use the factory 10 round mags, expensive but 100% reliable. The Mini-14/Ranch rifle is a great gun and the new model is very nice. New shooters really can't appreciate what a great gun it is. You will really love it.

P.S. Buy some good ammo to get you started, then when you have some confidence you can try some cheaper surplus stuff.

I currently have 8 different types I'm going to be testing. Such a tiring task.... :43:

Beautiful Mini 14 pics! I am so glad I picked it up. I cant wait to get it out of jail, and I will look into those links. I got mine in stainless/black furniture, but seeing the wood ones makes me want one of those too. I guess a Mini 30 is in my future!

The blued/wood version is very nostalgic. :)

This guy is a very good shot! I just did a stainless mini 1990 version and it is in jail. This will be my 3rd mini; had a series 180 way back when then a stainless in the late 80s which I traded, now I've got a used one from a Calgunner. Can't wait to get it. I ordered a muzzle brake for it, from what I have read it will help with the accuracy issues. The newest minis look sweet.

Accustrut would help as well; I have the 6" blued version on mine in the above pic. :thumbsup:

robcoe
02-12-2012, 7:01 PM

Yes, on 5.56 ammo(unless it's a target model)

No on AR magazines

I have a stainless and wood one, and it is my favorite rifle.

rudigan
02-12-2012, 7:07 PM

When I got mine a few years ago, ther were no factory 10 rd Ruger mags available here. Are they now?

robcoe
02-12-2012, 7:11 PM
When I got mine a few years ago, ther were no factory 10 rd Ruger mags available here. Are they now?

not sure about fresno, but worst case you can buy them directly from Ruger

http://shopruger.com/Mini-14-Magazine-10-Shot/productinfo/90339/

axhoaxho
02-12-2012, 7:30 PM

I think so... in the last few months even when I visited my local Big 5, it had them in stock.

Regards,

Mossy Man
02-12-2012, 7:32 PM
Ruger does sell 10 round mags....but they are pretty pricy. I bought a bunch of tapco 30 rnd mags and pinned em at 10...they are only $10 each. So far feed reliably, look good and provide something to act as a hand stop while firing. The factory 10 rnd are pretty stubby.

rudigan
02-12-2012, 7:35 PM
Ruger does sell 10 round mags....but they are pretty pricy. I bought a bunch of tapco 30 rnd mags and pinned em at 10...they are only $10 each. So far feed reliably, look good and provide something to act as a hand stop while firing. The factory 10 rnd are pretty stubby.

Thanks for the info rob, ax, mossy. Good to know if the Promags ever crap out on me.

Calif Mini
02-12-2012, 7:42 PM
When I got mine a few years ago, there were no factory 10 rd Ruger mags available here. Are they now?

Factory mags, strut, trigger job and bedding....... all good stuff.

Many have had good results with a strut of some sort. Several to choose from. Try to buy from someone you can talk with and get some guidance.
Many have also done a cryo on the barrel to control stringing. Worked on mine.

Not sure about Tapco mags as I have never used one, but Ruger does make 10 round mags but they are not cheap. $39 on their site.

Andean is where I bought some a while back and are a little cheaper, $28.
http://andean-inc.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TAOS&Product_Code=RUG90339&Category_Code=mini1430223mag

smle-man
02-12-2012, 8:14 PM
CDNN has Ruger 10 rd magazines for $25 plus shipping. I bought one in anticipation of receiving my used stainless Mini.

zum
02-12-2012, 8:15 PM
CONgrats on the purchase

the sight of any Mini-14 brings back cherished childhood memories for me

As a 8 year old i insisted i too carried a rifle with me into the woods like my father and uncles did on Hunts and with a Mini-14 sling'd across me is how my uncles :oji: recall seeing me on hunts as a kid.

and i was a damn good shot using the iron sites.

no i was not allowed to shoot at deer with it

russ69
02-12-2012, 8:20 PM

10s and 20s are available from Ruger.

AngelZ3R0
02-12-2012, 8:30 PM
Man i like those mini 14s i think that is going to be my next rifle i get i have been all about pistols lately i need to start hitting the rifle range more often

boamedt
02-13-2012, 7:38 AM
I always loved the mini 14....check out the bullpup stocks for them. they look fantastic imho

Gnome
02-13-2012, 9:45 AM
Check out http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com. Gun Doc is supposed to do some good work with accurizing the Mini 14. Does specific jobs as well as package deals.

biloutkast
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Congrats!
Check out the Promag Sparta stock if you want to tacticool your Mini.
It looks a lot better than Tapco's or ATI's
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gGnXMvq1n0c/TkDBHMIuB8I/AAAAAAAAAIc/NROt2yKwiNw/s1600/ArchangelSparta.jpg

boamedt
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
/\/\/\/\/\ nice:punk:

Coyotegunner
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Mini 14s.WOW.Love them and hate them at the same time.I have owned several over the years,with various feelings.They use magazines that are only made for them.Folks have already said this.Aftermarket,Non-factory mags are not all that great.I have had to trim and bend the lip on some.The rifle is always reliable to function.I reload and have had them with various twist rates over the years.Truth is they are not very accurate by my standards.I would like a gun to shoot under 1" at a 100yds.All of them were more like 3" at 100,and one was worse.I have one now I traded a friend a AR upper for that has a Clark barrel stabilizer and trigger job.He had close to $475 in the upgrade.While the barrel twist is indictive of 62gr or heavier bullets,it shoots my reloaded 40gr Horn Vmax and Nosler Ballistic tips in 1 1/2" groups at 100yds.Darn it I miss the AR upper,it was 5/8" with the same loads.I would like to try the Target Mini14 model with the barrel vibration thingy on it,but I will never buy one.I am keeping the Clarks unit,just because every one should have a mini 14.Keep it cleaned and lubed properly and it will last your lifetime.The only functional problems I have been around with these guns is the wolf/chinese ammo friends were using.Upgrades are a waste of money,outside of a trigger job.They will not make them shoot any better.I run a Burris 4-14 on mine.

Xtracrispy
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I have a Mini 30, and my brother has a Mini 14. Both are the old thin barrel models. They are definitely not the best accuracy-wise, but they are fun and reliable rifles for sure. They both seem to eat any kind of ammo, mine takes russian and steel cased ammo just fine. They seem to just keep shooting even if you forget to clean or oil them(not that I endorse that).

0351USMC
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Congrats!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gGnXMvq1n0c/TkDBHMIuB8I/AAAAAAAAAIc/NROt2yKwiNw/s1600/ArchangelSparta.jpg

nice stock.but you need to add a maglock:cool:

Mossy Man
02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Congrats!

Except for this state, you'd have to remove the minis best feature....all because commifornia classifies that as an assault weapon.

Maglocks on minis ftl.

cannon
02-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Great rifles that are very reliable and fun to play with. You'll enjoy it.

I've owned different ones over the decades. I still have a herd of Ruger 30 rounders and the A team style metal folding stock. Sadly that stock has been sitting in the closet for years.

It's amazing what we used to be able to buy for not much money before it got banned. I remember buying those used Ruger 30 rounders for $5.00 at the gun show. :oji:

The best modification to a Mini 14 IMHO is that 1 inch thick rubber butt pad. Really makes it comfy and a more natural fit.

NYsteveZ
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
This is great news. The overall thoughts on the mini seem positive. I meant to pick one up long ago when I read Comufornia was attempting to ban them (read it in a post/validity unknown) but Im glad I went for it. On wikipedia, it states NYPD organized crime units, Bermuda and certain corrections departments use the mini, but I imagine thats the Gov/military version.

moleculo
02-13-2012, 2:17 PM
I have a 581 series. I did a trigger job (really worth it on this gun), shortened the barrel a bit, added a nice muzzle brake, and added a recoil buffer. I also put an inexpensive primary arms 1x red dot on it. I've used factory and John Masen mags, which I've never had a problem with. They're definitely fun and reliable guns.

rplusplus
02-13-2012, 2:29 PM
I bought the 10 round Ruger mags for mine at CTD, $26.00 each and they are great. You can get the Pro Mag ones form Exile Machine for $17.00 (I haven't tried these myself). Worth every penny IMO for the Ruger 10 Rounders.

So much fun to shoot. You will have a blast. I've only shot indoors so far but can't wait to hit South Bay Rod and Gun this Spring.

Click the link in my sig for more Mini 14 Porn.

Gnome
02-13-2012, 3:22 PM
I bought the 10 round Ruger mags for mine at CTD, $26.00 each and they are great. You can get the Pro Mag ones form Exile Machine for $17.00 (I haven't tried these myself). Worth every penny IMO for the Ruger 10 Rounders.

So much fun to shoot. You will have a blast. I've only shot indoors so far but can't wait to hit South Bay Rod and Gun this Spring.

Click the link in my sig for more Mini 14 Porn.

Nice looking Mini. Very classy. I like the look of wood stock and scope. None of that tactical ninja stuff for a "Ranch Rifle." Although, there is someone here who put a Aimpoint/Clonepoint on their Mini (wood stock). It looked good too.

NYsteveZ
02-13-2012, 8:43 PM
Im liking the wood stock look too. My next Mini (30) will be wood.
On the subject of magazines-I can confirm, Turners sells Ruger 10 round mags there. I picked one up today. I would go get the reciept and say the price, but it is hidden right now. On that same reciept is the price I paid for my Socom 16, and if my girlfriend sees that reciept, you will read about me in the obituary tomorrow :owned:

jeffrice6
02-13-2012, 9:11 PM
Im liking the wood stock look too. My next Mini (30) will be wood.
On the subject of magazines-I can confirm, Turners sells Ruger 10 round mags there. I picked one up today. I would go get the reciept and say the price, but it is hidden right now. On that same reciept is the price I paid for my Socom 16, and if my girlfriend sees that reciept, you will read about me in the obituary tomorrow :owned:

Two great rifles on the way!!!

biloutkast
02-13-2012, 11:04 PM
nice stock.but you need to add a maglock:cool:

Yes I know. I had a maglock on my mini with the ati stock. I also pinned the folder since it would of been under 30 inches when folded but I ended up putting the factory stock back on after a year. Mini's look better with the wood stock imo.

jsr3313
02-14-2012, 3:11 PM
Congrats!

Wish I had known about this one before I bought my ATI stock. Almost makes it look like an ACR, and for WAY less than the SCAR lookalike stock that's available....maybe if I get another Mini-14...or save up some $ and sell the ATI stock with the aluminum upgrade.

Only thing I see that you would lose with this stock....is the use of the front sight.

Here's mine:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/jsrphoto/Firearms/20120125_235106.jpg

Gnome
02-14-2012, 3:38 PM
Wish I had known about this one before I bought my ATI stock. Almost makes it look like an ACR, and for WAY less than the SCAR lookalike stock that's available....maybe if I get another Mini-14...or save up some $ and sell the ATI stock with the aluminum upgrade.

Only thing I see that you would lose with this stock....is the use of the front sight.

The only thing that kills it, is that long, skinny, pencil barrel. Looks like it's gonna poke someone's eye out. The new barrel profile Minis might look better in it.

Mossy Man
02-14-2012, 5:01 PM
The only thing that kills it, is that long, skinny, pencil barrel. Looks like it's gonna poke someone's eye out. The new barrel profile Minis might look better in it.

wouldn't be SO bad if it had an accu-strut too, and a big flash hider.

Which would be totally fine to do anyway, since you've already got to have a maglock on it.

If mine wasn't stainless, and if i didn't care about my bag of pre-ban standard caps...i would consider it.

Mossy Man
02-14-2012, 5:03 PM
the sparta also looks to be a huge PITA to take down when you need to clean the thing.

One of the greatest things about the mini is how easy it is to break down and clean.

Although, that easy breakdown probably negatively affects it's accuracy too (only thing keeping it onto the stock is the trigger guard assembly)

rplusplus
02-14-2012, 5:09 PM
...On that same reciept is the price I paid for my Socom 16, and if my girlfriend sees that reciept, you will read about me in the obituary tomorrow :owned:

Shoping for accessories can be hazardous to your health...

In for a $30 magazine...

Out with a DROS for an $1700 Rifle... :clap:

You only live once... And if she don't kill you... She's a keeper!

NYsteveZ
02-15-2012, 9:35 AM
Im still alive, but she still doesnt know. She also doesnt know about the other two guns I have in "jail". I will add them to the arsenal without her knowing. To give you a clue, She said my Colt M4 looks like the exact same gun as my Arsenal AK74. Maybe I can tell her that the Colt had a litter of gun pups

Gnome
02-15-2012, 9:48 AM
Nice. Just buy her something nice every once in awhile, so she can't say you never think of her. They love their jewelery, handbags (apparently they're not called purses anymore :shrug:) and shoes.

Jack L
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I use a http://www.jackweigand.com/ranch.html picatinny with the low mount Primary Arms Gen 2 red dot. I do not like my cheek on the stock and this set up gives me sight just above that position. The iron sights work well if thatís your thing. The John Masen mags work fine. These are fun for 0 to 100 yards. They can be customized with barrels and other features if you want but Iíd just keep it simple and choose another rifle if you want to shoot further distances. Once you get tuned up, a coyote at 150 yards is not tough to take down. I only use Lake City 5.56 ammo and have no issues. They are what they are, a good ranch rifle priced right when on sale. Have fun.

Wita09
02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
[ATTACH]135364[[ATTACH]
Fun gun, here's mine with Hogue stock, Jack Weigand rail mount, Primary Arms 1-4x Illuminated scope.

Gnome
02-15-2012, 5:50 PM
[ATTACH]135364[[ATTACH]
Fun gun, here's mine with Hogue stock, Jack Weigand rail mount, Primary Arms 1-4x Illuminated scope.

How's the cheek weld on the rifle? It seems like the scope rides kinda high...