PDA

View Full Version : If I Buy a M40A1...

russ69
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Is a M40A1 a snipers rifle? Lets say I buy a real M40A1 that was used in the service, is it a snipers rifle? Now I buy the same thing and it wasn't ever used in service, is it now a precision rifle? I'm not sure I'm getting the difference?

QuarterBoreGunner
02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
You're looking for the answer to a non-existent question. The terms are irrelevant except for marketing purposes and for all practical purposes the terms are interchangeable... except in the media; when a bad guy uses it - it's a 'sniper rifle' - when a good guy uses it, it's a 'precision rifle'.

rromeo
02-12-2012, 12:07 PM
It also matters to a portion of the CGN membership. Like calling a pistol a revolver.

Iloveguns
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
What does it really matter? Are you a LE or Military Sniper? If the answer is no then you will be shooting a precision rifle that was either once used by a sniper or not.

Mojaveman
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Sniper has a slightly negative connotation when used outside of the military. One should use target or precision rifle to be more politically correct on the civilian side. It doesn't sound as bad to the liberal anti second amendment folks.

b.faust
02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I prefer "accurized rifle" myself.

i.e. "If I buy a decommissioned M40A1, did I just buy an accurized Remington 700?"

russ69
02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
..One should use [I]target or precision rifle to be more politically correct on the civilian side. It doesn't sound as bad to the liberal anti second amendment folks.

OK, I can get the PC side of it but to me a M40A1, as an example, is/was/will always be a sniper rifle. A full replica, to me would be the same thing. Paint the stock a different color, than yes, I'm ready to call it something else, something more easy on the ears.

Peter.Steele
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Or, for another example, my Mosin-Nagant M91/30 PU. It's not particularly a precision rifle, but it damned sure is a sniper rifle.

send it_hit
02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
IMHO, it's a rifle. if you are a person who shoots targets for precision, it's a precision rifle. if you are a sniper who uses it to perform sniper duties, it's a sniper rifle.

if you employ tactics, it's a tactical rifle.

if you hunt with it, it's a hunting rifle.

if you are a pest controller and you shoot groundhogs with it, it is a varmint rifle.

etc etc etc.

sniper is just a term denoting who's using it for what, not what it actually IS. the word has just been misconstrued and applied to the object itself.

NYsteveZ
02-12-2012, 1:07 PM
If you would buy an M40, I would call it a broke mans rifle. Do you know what the going price is on those? :eek:
Im carefull about my vocabulary if Im in earshot of the mentally challenged (liberals). I dont need ELF or "occupiers" visiting me.
"Sporting rifle" is another term I have heard describing ARs, AKs etc.

MrPlink
02-12-2012, 1:37 PM
if you "snipe" somebody with a 10-22, that would make that particular one a "sniper rifle"

If you would buy an M40, I would call it a broke mans rifle. Do you know what the going price is on those? :eek:
Im carefull about my vocabulary if Im in earshot of the mentally challenged (liberals). I dont need ELF or "occupiers" visiting me.
"Sporting rifle" is another term I have heard describing ARs, AKs etc.

I thought the point of owning guns was so that you dont have to be paranoid?
Looks like it isnt working for you :p

louscamaro91
02-12-2012, 1:53 PM
I want to be a sniper when I grow up..... Although a ninja might be more fun.

MrPlink
02-12-2012, 3:29 PM
lol @ louacamaro, why not be both?

jasonnorcal
02-12-2012, 3:52 PM
It's the person using it that makes it a sniper rifle. The 1st rifles used by snipers were hunting rifles, now snipers use purpose built accurized rifles. A weapon is just a weapon, a "sniper" is someone who went through sniper school to me. The rifle has nothing to do with it