PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Mauser Bayonet

McNally M.
02-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if you've ever had this problem with your Mauser rifles but I have a M24/47 with a bayonet that I cannot remove for the life of me! I squeeze the release button and tug and tug at it but it will not budge an inch. How can I get the damn thing off?

glennsche
02-12-2012, 2:22 AM
i had this problem putting a czech bayonet on a german k98, or maybe it was vice versa. are you sure the bayonet is yugo?

to get it off was just serious yanking! (snicker)

McNally M.
02-12-2012, 8:13 AM
It was certainly a Yugo bayonet. I'm wondering if applying something cold to the barrel and bayonet lug area would possibly help buy contracting the metal but that might not make a significant difference.

TRAP55
02-12-2012, 8:42 AM
I've run across a couple of Yugo bayos like that, and never did figure out what the problem was. One I had wouldn't fit the 98K, so I sent it to a friend with a VZ-24. He called later griping that it was stuck on his rifle too.
There must be some kind of taper deeper in the machined groove, that's my best guess. I've had the calipers on the bayos and the bayo lug, and can't find enough difference to make them lock up like that.
You're going to need two pairs of hands if it's really on tight, and a brass or plastic head hammer. One hangs onto the rifle and holds the button, and the other pulls on the bayo while gently tapping it off.

Caststeel
02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Assume you put some penetrating oil on, too. Seldom works by itself.

Trap's right. An oak wood 1 X 2 block on bayo with metal hammer will work, too. Lay shop rag on stock/barrel for protection. And tap. You may need calipers to see results at first but stay gentle.
Best guess is a bit of stuff under the nut that is button; prevents full release.

Just retrieved mine. It has a round nut button with a slot and screw across the slot. Find a wide and thick enough straight blade screwdriver (bigger is better) and file out the center of the blade to just clear the screw. Penetrating oil first then rock (unscrew a little then screw many times) until release. This may also be peened on. Patience is the only thing that works then.

Best of luck.