View Full Version : 22\45 ruger mag question

02-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a ruger mk3 22\45 in jail, I noticed while handling the gun, if I put in an empty mag, and released the slide, the mag pops out sometimes, I've read that mag seating can be a problem and you really need to smack the mag to be sure its seated. the salesman tried it and the gun functioned fine. anyone have any experience with this? i've seen some youtube vids of people filing down the frame a little to make the mag seat easier..

02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
whoops wrong forum, can a moderator move to rimfire?

Vlad 11
02-12-2012, 8:12 AM
I have a 22/45 that i absolutely love, but the magazine is an irritation. The mags will sometimes not seat if you are gently pushing. They sit flush but need a last bit of force to click in. I'm always in the habit of bapping mags in with my palm anyway. I believe the problem is the magazine disconnect safety creates some friction on the magazine.

The disconnect also causes the annoying 'mags don't slide out' problem. Mag pops down a bit but then you have to grab it and pull it out. There are mods that can be done to alleviate this. I haven't done it yet , but intend to.

02-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I have had my 22/45 for about 6 months and I must be lucky, I have 4 extra mags and they all go in easy with a positive click and drop right out when you push the disconnect. My 14 yr old has no problems with it either.

I love that gun, it always goes with me when I go shoot. I don't remember the brand name but I got a speed loader from Midway that has a tray you dump 50 or so rounds into, shake it and some rounds line up in a slot then you push the mag up into it and with a couple pushes in and out against the spring the mag fills up in about 5 or 6 seconds. You can load 5 mags in less less than a minute.