View Full Version : Question about Pyrodex P

02-11-2012, 9:01 PM
I'm very new to the BP/muzzle loading world but I'm looking to get more time in. I have an 1958 Remington repro that I've used with real BP borrowed from another calgunner. I'm not really interested in buying my own real BP so I'm looking at Pyrodex P.

I know many feel that using anything other than real BP is a travesty, and I can understand that, but I'd still rather not have real BP in my home.

I've read a bit about BP substitutes and the question I have is about ignition. I've seen a number of comments saying that substitutes are much harder to ignite than real BP. Does "much harder to ignite" mean that you need to use magnum caps or something else or will standard caps still work reliably?

02-11-2012, 9:34 PM
I've never had an issue with Pyrodex P and normal caps with my Italian 1858 repo. Keep the nipples clear and its not been a problem.

02-12-2012, 4:44 AM
Never had an issue with Pyrodex P powder.

Now, I have heard in the past that Pyrodex pellets can have a failed or delayed ignition in some cap n' ball cylinders. The reason may be is that in some Pietta cylinders, when the chambers are bored out from the manufacture, there is a small recess that is left where it meets the nipple face. Using a pellet, it may not sit totally flush against the flash hole having a slight gap in between, which MAY lead to a failed or delayed ignition. However, in my experience with using Pyrodex pellets or powder for many years, I've never encounterd a problem with either using standard CCI caps.

02-12-2012, 4:49 AM
I have never had an ignition problem using Pyrodex or Triple 7 powders in my Pietta 1858 that was related to the powder.

The occasional dud cap or fouled nipple, but other than that, it always goes "Bang!"

02-12-2012, 5:35 AM
I use goex and pyrodex in different grinds and I've had less trouble lighting off P than I have FFFg. I wouldn't even trip. You'll want to clean the nipples periodically no matter what you use.

02-12-2012, 8:33 AM
Excellent, thanks everyone!!

02-12-2012, 8:49 AM
Pyrodex is for sinners! Anyone who uses Pyrodex is going to HELL!

That said, BP substitutes are easier to come by but, they smell and smoke different than the real stuff. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. So, if it comes down to shooting or not shooting, go with shooting every time.

02-12-2012, 8:54 AM
Here's the only problem with Pyrodex pellets: DON'T EVER USE THEM WITH LUBE PILLS. :43:

02-14-2012, 4:57 AM
Pyrodex is for sinners! Anyone who uses Pyrodex is going to HELL!