PDA

View Full Version : Question on selling unregistered handgun

Patchbunny
02-11-2012, 8:14 PM
I bought a handgun when I lived out of state in the mid-90's, and moved back to California in '96. Because it wasn't required at the time, I never did a voluntary registration.

Do I need to do so now in order to sell the handgun?

bussda
02-11-2012, 8:17 PM
No.

Patchbunny
02-11-2012, 8:18 PM
Oh, kewl. Simplifies things.

Cokebottle
02-11-2012, 8:54 PM
Yup.

Registration is only required at the time of transfer, or at the time of initial importation by a new resident.

When you sell it, it will be registered to the new owner.

bwiese
02-11-2012, 8:59 PM
The bulk of legally-owned handguns in CA are likely not papered to their current owners.

Up until 1991, private paper-free transfers between nonprohibited people was legal, and until 1998 people could move into CA without papering their handguns.

Go ahead and sell your handgun, you just have to use the services of a CA FFL

scrat
02-11-2012, 9:37 PM
Up until 1991, private paper-free transfers between nonprohibited people was legal, and until 1998 people could move into CA without papering their handguns.

The Good Ole Days

beb1954
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know if I am missing something here, or having a touch of encephelopathy, but,... if someone has a pistol that another would like to buy but the pistol has been in state, unregistered for X years, the seller just does the transaction with the buyer at an FFL as any normal ppt? Is that not circumventing the roster and just how the hell can that fly?
Like I said, I must be missing something here... Will someone explain that to me?

keenkeen
02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know if I am missing something here, or having a touch of encephelopathy, but,... if someone has a pistol that another would like to buy but the pistol has been in state, unregistered for X years, the seller just does the transaction with the buyer at an FFL as any normal ppt? Is that not circumventing the roster and just how the hell can that fly?
Like I said, I must be missing something here... Will someone explain that to me?

Roster does not apply to PPT transactions in CA. Regardless of the guns registry status.

rromeo
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
The roster and registration are two separate things.
Possession of unregistered or off-roster handguns is completely legal.

Meplat
02-12-2012, 4:41 PM
I would keep it and sell something else. WOP firearms are priceless. Unless my kids were hungry and it was the last thing I owned, Id keep it. I consider it my civic duty to make sure there are as many off the rolls guns out there as legally possible. The more unregistered guns there are out there the less likely they are to come after the papered ones.:43: