PDA

View Full Version : Can you out build a M&P15T?

559luke
02-11-2012, 6:48 PM
I'm feeling the AR bug calling. The S&W M&P15T looks pretty darn good for the money. I really like the free float rail, mbuis and the overall build looks pretty good for the money. I've seen it advertised from CA dealers for $999. I will probably swap the stock and grip, so lets call my budget $1,150 Can I build a better rifle than a M&P15T for that price?

dieselpower
02-11-2012, 7:30 PM
Define "better".

SmellOfCordite
02-11-2012, 8:10 PM
Does it have to be new? You could build a pretty darn good rifle for less than your budget if you go into the marketplace, or AR15.com equipment exchange.

With all that aside, you could pick up a BCM upper and slap it on an inexpensive(not necessarily low quality) lower such as Aero Precision. Get a decent lpk from RRA, or Daniel Defense and a complete stock kit and you could easily match the price of the S&W and have a rifle to be proud of.

The real question is, do you have to have the rifle be all the same manufacturer? I personally find Bravo Company uppers to be of the utmost quality but their lowers can be pricy.

Aero has great prices on lowers and they even make the cast forgings for many larger manufacturers. I have never had an issue with their lowers being out of spec, which imo is one of the only factors in choosing a lower aside from rollmark and finish.

Good luck with your build OP, I know you can do it.

TheHammerOfTruth
02-11-2012, 9:59 PM
you can build the actual MP15-T for 1150.00. Its all standard S&W parts along with some Troy parts. But is you find it for 999.99 buy it.

dieselpower
02-12-2012, 7:59 AM
Since you haven't defined "better", I have to say, No. The S&W M&P15T is the best you can get for $1150. If that will suit your needs is another question.

559luke
02-12-2012, 8:31 AM
Asking me to define "better" was an excellent question. I'm struggling with a definition. The rifle will be used for range trips once a month, so it's not going to be subject to major abuse or anything like that. I guess what I'm thinking is, are any corners being cut to hit a price point. Will I get a great looking gun with sub par trigger or something like that? Keeping in mind through that there is a point of diminishing returns. I've got a $5,000 bicycle
that is better suited to the Tour de France than to a Saturday morning club ride. The bike is far more capable than I am, but man is it a joy to ride.

pacifico23
02-12-2012, 9:35 AM
Heres my take. Resale Value. You can get a Colt for the same amount of money. You can also build a great rifle using higher resale value parts like BCM, Daniel defense and such for the same amount. I have a feeling if you ever decide to sell it, the Colt would give you more of a resale value, so would a BCM upper etc. Smith and Wessons mp-15's have flooded the market past year or so. If your not worried about resale value go for the mp15. It's is a reliable quality AR, Im sure you wont be disappointed..

dieselpower
02-12-2012, 1:19 PM
Heres my take. Resale Value. You can get a Colt for the same amount of money. You can also build a great rifle using higher resale value parts like BCM, Daniel defense and such for the same amount. I have a feeling if you ever decide to sell it, the Colt would give you more of a resale value, so would a BCM upper etc. Smith and Wessons mp-15's have flooded the market past year or so. If your not worried about resale value go for the mp15. It's is a reliable quality AR, Im sure you wont be disappointed..

I agree. You can get a Colt for about the same, but be warned there is a major differences in a civilian Colt. The lower has an internal webbing which stops the use of aftermarket full auto parts...yeah its no big deal, but to some people its a show stopper. What you are buying is the name. Same with BCM. Many people worship BCM and that will bring in $$ come resale time.

What you get with S&W is a LIFETIME warranty. You will not get that with Colt (TMK) or a home built BCM. The S&W also has the newest technology (For USA firearms) in barrel treatments called Nitrocarbinizing Salt baths, or Melonite QPQ. This is much better than chrome lining in the long run for both Corrosion control, friction wear and also surface protection.

The S&W has the standard AR15 trigger. You can upgrade if you want.

For what you are planning on doing with this Carbine the S&W is more than enough for you....but also LESS than what you may want down the road.

If sitting at a bench trying to get the smallest hole possible out of a group of shots...you want to go another route, but the S&W barrel will be better in that respect than either the BCM or Colt since chrome lining diminishes accuracy and aids in corrosion prevention. The Melonite QPQ is got that beat.

For long range accuracy at the bench in the $1200 range. I'd go with a New frontier Armory Polymer (http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=245_285&products_id=34090) Lower for $120 and a White Oak (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17841&cat=259&page=1) upper for $650. Then add in tax, FFL fees you are up to about $850 with $300ish to spend on range grade optics like a used Millett or Primary Arms or Vortex.

INDABZ
02-12-2012, 4:33 PM
I agree. You can get a Colt for about the same, but be warned there is a major differences in a civilian Colt. The lower has an internal webbing which stops the use of aftermarket full auto parts...yeah its no big deal, but to some people its a show stopper. What you are buying is the name. Same with BCM. Many people worship BCM and that will bring in $$ come resale time.

The internal webing on COLT lower is the same as 99 percent of the high shelf lower recievers used to build most all factory rifles.....and precludes the usage of any aftermarket full auto parts.....which no one in CALIF should have access to or have laying around their house with any type of AR-15 variant....

dieselpower
02-12-2012, 5:37 PM
The internal webing on COLT lower is the same as 99 percent of the high shelf lower recievers used to build most all factory rifles.....and precludes the usage of any aftermarket full auto parts.....which no one in CALIF should have access to or have laying around their house with any type of AR-15 variant....

No its not, I have not seen this webbing in as you say..."99% of the high shelf lower receivers".... Now please name these Manufacturers who have high shelf lowers with this type of webbing. None of the major players are making high shelfs anymore. Even Bushmaster Carbon Fiber Lowers are low shelf.

Do you know if S&W M&P15s are low shelf or high shelf? Thats the question really. I have no idea myself.

Now lets talk about the fact at some point in the future I may get to own a RDIAS.... What about all the SHTF talkn on these forums... if its truly a SHTF wouldn't you like the option to drop in a Drop in Auto Sear? They can be made with little to no experience. The plans are readily available if you know where to look.

NorCalK9.com
02-12-2012, 5:47 PM
Remember your lifetime warranty and from what s&w told me that covers the barrel as well

INDABZ
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
No its not, I have not seen this webbing in as you say..."99% of the high shelf lower receivers".... Now please name these Manufacturers who have high shelf lowers with this type of webbing. None of the major players are making high shelfs anymore. Even Bushmaster Carbon Fiber Lowers are low shelf.

Do you know if S&W M&P15s are low shelf or high shelf? Thats the question really. I have no idea myself.

Now lets talk about the fact at some point in the future I may get to own a RDIAS.... What about all the SHTF talkn on these forums... if its truly a SHTF wouldn't you like the option to drop in a Drop in Auto Sear? They can be made with little to no experience. The plans are readily available if you know where to look.

S&W an all the rest as I mentioned are high shelf lower recievers which preclude the usage of drop in parts.....which serves the same purpose...as the extra web

Colt goes a little further and leaves the web of material...

Bushmaster carbons have no shelf....that's an issue for drop in parts...you could add some type of putty...

If some point in the future you get to own a RDIAS....and you have the know how.....than you also have the know how to remove a little bit of aluminum to make it work and it's not an issue....:rolleyes: