PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my mini 14?

thedudeabides
02-11-2012, 5:53 PM
i have 581 series stainless. i got the barrel cut and re crowned at 16 in. also put in a .05" gas bushing. when i took it out to the range, i was shooting like 7 inch groups, then once the barrel heated up i started shooting 3 inch groups. waited about twenty minutes, started to shoot again and got the same results (very inaccurate to more accurate). is this a result of a bad crown job, or maybe an issue with the gas bushing? btw i was using remington umc ammo.

jeffrice6
02-11-2012, 6:04 PM
How did it shoot before? First thing I would do is go back to the original gas bushing & see what she does. If still crap, take her back to whoever did the cut/crown and redo.......

thedudeabides
02-11-2012, 6:27 PM
it would get about2-3 inch groups before the alteration. im gonna shoot it with the original gas bushing and hope that was the problem. its dumbfounding to me how it shoots better with a hotter barrel.

russ69
02-11-2012, 6:51 PM
Barrels shoot best with a tighter bore at the muzzle, it's not always best to shorten a barrel until that is evaluated. However I would check for even tension on the gas block first, that's a known problem with the mini.

thedudeabides
02-11-2012, 7:27 PM
hey thanks for that heads-up. just did some research on issues regarding the gas block and that may be the problem. i am doubtful that the cutting is the problem because i have heard/read of alot of other guys doing it to their mini, and they had huge improvements to their accuracy.

DasBoost
02-11-2012, 9:34 PM
I would say with the newer Minis, 580/581, a gas bushing really isn't necessary unless you're worried about the ejection pattern of the brass. Take the bushing out and see how it groups; unless the cut/re-crown is really a crap job, I don't think that would be it.

3GunFunShooter
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Head over to www.perfectunion.com, over 166,000 posting on the Mini 14/30.
You should be able to figure out what your accuracy issues could be caused by and how to solve it.