PDA

View Full Version : hunting/sniper rifle?

Raul B
02-11-2012, 5:46 PM
Ok guys so i got the go ahead from the wife to buy a hunting/sniper rifle. I am dead set on a Remington 700 .308 since i have always wanted one.. but not sure what version to get.
I have also wanted the JAE-700 stock. I know its going to be a bit heavier with that stock but will it be soo heavy that it will not be able to be used for hunting?

Ill only be hunting maybe once a year and would prefer to have a nice sniper rifle for year around shooting at the range....

this is what i want to build
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/fordtruckk/guns/12371837362891186382985.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/fordtruckk/guns/jae700.jpg

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 5:49 PM
Are you a "snioer"? If not, you will never own a "sniper rifle". You might own a hunting rifle or a precision rifle but, any rifle can be used as a "sniper rifle" (even with iron sights) in the hands of a trained sniper. But, any rifle that is not being used by a sniper really can't be called a "sniper rifle".

cfusionpm
02-11-2012, 5:51 PM
My factory .308 700 SPS Tactical with optic and bipod is already nearly 12lbs. I can't imagine how much heavier it would be with that thing strapped to it. I would totally love a JAE stock, but it's NOT something you would want to lug around hunting... that's for sure!

mcmikeblues7
02-11-2012, 6:10 PM
Unless you are extremely well trained and will commit thousands of dollars a year to practice, that rifle won't be any better than a Remington 700 sps. And even that I wouldn't take out hunting unless I had to.

wooger
02-11-2012, 6:11 PM
You going to hunt snipe?

Raul B
02-11-2012, 6:15 PM
ill honestly only go hunting at the most twice a year... the rest of the time is spent at the range.... I already own a couple of AR15 but have always wanted a long range rifle. since i cant afford to get both a long range rifle and a dedicated hunting rifle im trying to get away with just building 1....

toby
02-11-2012, 6:18 PM
It's called a heavy Barrel hunting/Varmint/target rifle. Every company makes one.

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 6:23 PM
ill honestly only go hunting at the most twice a year... the rest of the time is spent at the range.... I already own a couple of AR15 but have always wanted a long range rifle. since i cant afford to get both a long range rifle and a dedicated hunting rifle im trying to get away with just building 1....

Picking up a sporterized surplus Mauser and hunting with iron sites will only set you back $250 or so. I'd do something like that and then dump the rest into a range toy.

Raul B
02-11-2012, 6:25 PM
Picking up a sporterized surplus Mauser and hunting with iron sites will only set you back $250 or so. I'd do something like that and then dump the rest into a range toy.

thats prob a very good idea...

ok so if i forget about using this rifle as a hunting rifle has anyone used this stock with this setup before? im really curious if it is worth the money

FIREBALL_BRIAN
02-11-2012, 6:28 PM
If your gonna hunt with it do consider the weight. Fun looking range build

FiveSeven
02-11-2012, 6:33 PM
[sniper_rifle advice] Unless your wife makes all the $ and carries a whip, tell her you don't need her permission on what to buy. [/sniper_rifle advice]

Tackman11
02-11-2012, 6:40 PM
You can go wrong with Rem 700 .308win. For the stock I would go with McMillan A5 or A4. And get a decent glass on it and you will be very happy with it. Good luck

Merc1138
02-11-2012, 6:44 PM
.308 seems like overkill for hunting snipe.

http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/GRT/articles/issues/2010-09-01/GRT-SO10-snipe-opener-i.jpg

russ69
02-11-2012, 6:45 PM
...it's NOT something you would want to lug around hunting... that's for sure!

Is not that what they do with these things, hunt two legged game?

Zippiot
02-11-2012, 6:48 PM
Couple of things.
You can buy an actual Sniper Rifle for $2800 soon, as Remington got rare authorization to re-equip and re-sell the rifles the Army turns into them for upgrades to the XM2012002020202 some crazy number sniper system.
So for $2800 you get an actual Sniper rifle, amazing A5 stock and Heavy Leupold Glass.

I too wanted the R-700 with JAE stock, so I purchased a R-700 5-R after a few forum threads and much research. Problem is I am yet to see it, its at my dad's house in Cali. Still deciding between the JAE and AICS stocks, bare in mind there is a wait list for the JAE.

Its gonna be heavy, but deadly. If you love it enough you will carry it with you into the field.

I recommend the R-700 in 5-R rifling, just over $1k and nothing but thumbs up from every single person I asked.
Here is my 5-R thread, lots of good info people sent me there!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=500421

Trapper
02-11-2012, 6:56 PM
Check out the Remington 700 LTR or a 5R in 308 go with a VX-3 4.5-14x40 scope and a harris bipod. Use a nightforce light weight base and ultra light rings to keep the total weight down as low as possible.

Mojaveman
02-11-2012, 7:48 PM
Tactical and hunting rifle?

When I was younger I always wanted to buy a Styer SSG P-1 in .308 but they were kind of expensive. Now they don't make them anymore but if they ever started again I'd probably get one. It would be heavy on the hunter side and light on the tactical side but could do both very easily.

ElvenSoul
02-11-2012, 8:10 PM
Somehow I was expecting this

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/sharps-caliber-rifles-sale-online-shop-firearms-c-9935_13987_14246_16849.html

ElvenSoul
02-11-2012, 8:10 PM
Somehow I was expecting this

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/sharps-caliber-rifles-sale-online-shop-firearms-c-9935_13987_14246_16849.html

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 7:45 AM

http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/GRT/articles/issues/2010-09-01/GRT-SO10-snipe-opener-i.jpg

I'm not positive about this but, didn't the Brits coin the term "sniper" due to officers going snipe hunting with .303s? If so, a .308 would be about the same.

AlliedArmory
02-12-2012, 7:55 AM
That setup will weigh in the neighborhood of 15# without glass or ammo. IMHO that is WAY heavy for a hunting rifle.

If you were to order one today, you will hopefully have it at the beginning of 2013. They just barley started filling pre-orders from 2008.

razr
02-12-2012, 8:13 AM
[sniper_rifle advice] Unless your wife makes all the $ and carries a whip, tell her you don't need her permission on what to buy. [/sniper_rifle advice]

I like where this is going!

Latigo
02-12-2012, 8:38 AM
Are you a "sniper"? If not, you will never own a "sniper rifle". You might own a hunting rifle or a precision rifle but, any rifle can be used as a "sniper rifle" (even with iron sights) in the hands of a trained sniper. But, any rifle that is not being used by a sniper really can't be called a "sniper rifle".

\^^^ This.

Latigo
02-12-2012, 8:40 AM

You're going after these!?!?! Ok. That's it. I'm telling your wife. What's her email address?? :D

r3dn3ck
02-12-2012, 8:53 AM
so while all these super awesome guys (jagoffs) are giving you a load of cr4p for being ignorant let's address the ignorance:

1. use the right tool for the job
2. sniper rifles are only owned by snipers, the rest of us use precision rifles
3. hunting rifles are not built like precision rifles for good reason, they're too damned heavy.
4. you want to spend all the money which means you almost certainly haven't had any of the training or practice. Spend on those first.

So, my advice: buy a nice cheap hunting rifle like a Savage 110 in .30-06 or Savage 10 in .308. Comes with a scope and is just right for beating to death in the woods. It's light and accurate enough for any shot you could ever make on game.

Once you've figured out how difficult long range shooting actually is and how much ammo you'll have to burn to develop the skills you need buy a heavy barreled (tactical ...ick) model Savage (10FP) in .308 and start learning to shoot far. About the time you've worn the barrel on that 10FP out you'll have enough rounds down range to know that you already had enough gun.

1 thing you need to know up front: if you really want a quality long range shooting package, the scope will cost as much as to twice or more the cost of the rifle and it should.

A precision rifle is not something to lug around the woods. It sucks. You'll want the lightest gun you can find. I find that a M1 carbine is about as heavy as I'd like my rifle. My hunting AR's (6.5 Grendel and 6x45mm) aren't too heavy and provide me the both long range precision and light weight lethality on game.

Bipods are too heavy. Giant scopes are too heavy. Use enough gun, not use too damned much gun.

Solid Foundation
02-12-2012, 9:13 AM

[/future divorcee w/ alimony payments advice] ;)

That is a cool looking rifle. I can see how you'd want something like that!

Cpl Miller
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Question,
Any reason other than weight are you people not interested in the M-14 (M1A1) 308. Carried the thing for 6 six years and found it to be about as accurite as you'll ever find?

Just asking

Cpl Miller

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Question,
Any reason other than weight are you people not interested in the M-14 (M1A1) 308. Carried the thing for 6 six years and found it to be about as accurite as you'll ever find?

Just asking

Cpl Miller

Because the OP is looking for a precision rifle not just an accurate one. He can also find a lighter and cheap rifle that will do just fine as a hunting rifle.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Cpl Miller
02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
that a precision rifle is not the best for hauling around the woods. Try dropping a precision rifle and see how precision it is after that. I guess I'm from the belief that when you go hunting you best be prepared for water, mud, and any thing else you can run into while hunting.

I will admit the M-14 is a heavy sucker, but there are ways to lighten her up. I will also admit the 700 pictured above would be a kick asss weapon if you don't mind the weight of the thing.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the welcome aboard......

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 1:28 PM
that a precision rifle is not the best for hauling around the woods. Try dropping a precision rifle and see how precision it is after that. I guess I'm from the belief that when you go hunting you best be prepared for water, mud, and any thing else you can run into while hunting.

I will admit the M-14 is a heavy sucker, but there are ways to lighten her up. I will also admit the 700 pictured above would be a kick asss weapon if you don't mind the weight of the thing.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the welcome aboard......

I totally agree. That's why I suggested an inexpensive bubba'd surplus rifle for hunting and the OP agreed.

Bhobbs
02-12-2012, 1:36 PM
I would recommend getting the Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Ditch the factory stock and drop it in the JAE stock. That would make a great set up for long range shooting. For hunting it would probably be pretty heavy. For a hunting rifle I would get the regular SPS and just add glass.

ElvenSoul
02-12-2012, 8:36 PM
Where do you guys go to hunt Snipe?

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 9:06 PM
It's a secret. But, there is a real snipe season in CA.

Raul B
03-04-2012, 8:37 PM
ok guys here is what i just picked up... did the transfer on friday

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/fordtruckk/guns/LosAngeles-20120227-00134.jpg

Remington 700 .308 SS barrle , R5 Barrel, H&S stock with free foated barrel, Nikon buckmaster sight, jeweled action, bipod and 80 rounds of ammo. Picked it up for 1k. now to get in line for that jae 700 stock.. from what i heard it takes about 6 months to get but so far i think its a good start

im taking off the buckmaster to put on my Varmint AR and putting on this: http://www.botachtactical.com/trijicontr232g.html

Iloveguns
03-04-2012, 9:38 PM
Did you already buy the Trijicon scope? If not I would do some research and look into something different. Look at the Vortex Viper PST line. They are about the same price range as the Trijicon.

colossians323
03-05-2012, 4:46 AM
Are you a "snioer"? If not, you will never own a "sniper rifle". You might own a hunting rifle or a precision rifle but, any rifle can be used as a "sniper rifle" (even with iron sights) in the hands of a trained sniper. But, any rifle that is not being used by a sniper really can't be called a "sniper rifle".

Really:rolleyes: Is that the best information you can offer? The guy has 60 posts, and you have 22,000.....................Welcome to Calguns, ignore the side show. If you have the money and are set on it, I know people who hunt with the M1A which is considerably heavier than this configuration.

colossians323
03-05-2012, 4:51 AM
ok guys here is what i just picked up... did the transfer on friday

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/fordtruckk/guns/LosAngeles-20120227-00134.jpg

Remington 700 .308 SS barrle , R5 Barrel, H&S stock with free foated barrel, Nikon buckmaster sight, jeweled action, bipod and 80 rounds of ammo. Picked it up for 1k. now to get in line for that jae 700 stock.. from what i heard it takes about 6 months to get but so far i think its a good start

im taking off the buckmaster to put on my Varmint AR and putting on this: http://www.botachtactical.com/trijicontr232g.html

Good for you, you're on your way to building a sniper rifle. Regardless of what anyone says, you could label your rifle 'sniper' if that is what suits you.

BTW, what is the large round in the front of that picture?

Maddog5150
03-05-2012, 6:12 AM
I think what most people forget when they want the uber 20lbs "sniper" rifle for hunting is that when you see a deer, you generally take the shot off hand. There is no asking the deer to wait as find an area to get prone that is free from sight obstruction while you try to find the deer thats 100 yards away in your 24x hubble telescope that you're using as a sight. That being said, what csacannoneer said, get a cheap hunting rifle. You dont need a $2000 system to kill a deer.

Raul B
03-05-2012, 6:40 AM
forgot to mention it but yah i decided to get a different hunting rifle.. This will just be a long range target rifle....

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2012, 7:02 AM
Really:rolleyes: Is that the best information you can offer? The guy has 60 posts, and you have 22,000.....................Welcome to Calguns, ignore the side show. If you have the money and are set on it, I know people who hunt with the M1A which is considerably heavier than this configuration.

No, I had more to offer and it looks like the OP took my advise and got a separate hunting rifle.:p

forgot to mention it but yah i decided to get a different hunting rifle.. This will just be a long range target rifle....

A good rule of thumb is to spend a little as possible to get a rifle that will shoot to your standards and then buy the best glass and mounts that you can find without letting money get in the way. Also, hand loading your own ammo and tayloring it to your exact rifle and barrel will help you more than any other mechanical thing. Quality trigger time with your rifle and good ammo is the real key to becoming a better precision shooter. The right $400-$700 rifle with high quality optics, the right ammo for the task at hand and experience is the ticket. BTW, do not overlook the value of a good quality .22lr rifle and decent glass on it for inexpensive learning and practice. It will pay for itself in no time and .22lrs are a lot of fun.

BTW, what are you getting for a hunting rifle? Last week I picked up a bubba'd K11 and bubba'd a Carcano for a total of $200. Both will make awesome hunting rifles just the way they are. So, cheap hunting rifles are out there. The trick is to find one that you like.