PDA

View Full Version : Feb. 26: CGF, firearms instructors offer AZ/OR/UT/FL/VA carry license education/cert

wildhawker
02-11-2012, 3:59 PM
http://calgunsfoundation.org/images/stories/training.jpg

As part of its continuing mission to educate and assist law-abiding Californians in the exercise of their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, Calguns Foundation is proud to announce the first multi-state cooperative carry license training opportunity at Burro Canyon Range on February 26, 2012.

Three CGF-supporting and NRA-certified firearms instructors have joined forces to offer a comprehensive one-day course that will provide the basis for carry licensure (or carry by reciprocity) in all states that “surround California”: Arizona, Oregon, and Nevada (via Arizona). Additionally, the court of training provides certification for the highly-sought-after Utah and Florida carry licenses, as well as numerous other states.

Availability is limited to 40 students, so act now and reserve your spot today!

Date: Sunday, February 26, 2012
Time: Starts 10:00 a.m. sharp, ends ~4:00 p.m (break for lunch)
Certs: NRA First Steps Pistol certification, Utah CCW certification
Fee: $100/ea (includes $25 tax-deductible donation to support CGF's Carry License Iniaitive)
Instructors: Greg Ryman, Darren Harlow, Aaron Seiden
Instructions: Purchase your course at the link, then complete the info form for NRA/Utah certificates for EACH STUDENT. See www.gryman.com/Signup.html for info on what you’ll need to bring with you for the class.

More information and sign-ups at this link: http://calgunsfoundation.org/component/content/article/38-events/202-feb-26-cgf-certified-firearms-instructors-offer-qsurround-californiaq-azorutflva-carry-license-educationtraining-course.html

RP1911
02-11-2012, 4:12 PM
Paid and signed up. Thanks!

Infidel 1776
02-11-2012, 4:19 PM
I need a damn hand gun already !!!!

sully007
02-11-2012, 5:10 PM
Details?

locosway
02-11-2012, 5:24 PM
Tagged to answer questions.

RP1911
02-11-2012, 5:25 PM
click on the first link

www.gryman.com/Signup.html

locosway
02-11-2012, 5:25 PM
I need a damn hand gun already !!!!

If you're 21, you can borrow a gun from us the day of the event. While we would like everyone to bring their own handgun, we will make some exceptions for loaning them out to do the live fire portion.

Connor P Price
02-11-2012, 6:19 PM
I believe the NRA first steps certificate covers CO license requirements for training, and they might have to issue to non residents whether they like it or not soon.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I can't get the pdf about carry licenses in colorado to pull up on my phone for some reason right now.

CitaDeL
02-11-2012, 6:25 PM
At 575 miles, it's a little far for me. Would have liked to have gone though.

wildhawker
02-11-2012, 7:10 PM
At 575 miles, it's a little far for me. Would have liked to have gone though.

We're working on a similarly-structured NorCal-based training opportunity. Roughly speaking, we're targeting March and somewhere between Stockton and Chico.

-Brandon

locosway
02-11-2012, 7:33 PM
I believe the NRA first steps certificate covers CO license requirements for training, and they might have to issue to non residents whether they like it or not soon.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I can't get the pdf about carry licenses in colorado to pull up on my phone for some reason right now.

C.R.S. 18-12-203
(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

It looks like CO can pick and choose which classes to accept. Usually NRA classes are widely accepted, but you should call/email CO DPS to find out.

Also to note, I do not see any non-resident text in the CO statute for their concealed handgun permit.

Connor P Price
02-11-2012, 7:39 PM
C.R.S. 18-12-203

It looks like CO can pick and choose which classes to accept. Usually NRA classes are widely accepted, but you should call/email CO DPS to find out.

Also to note, I do not see any non-resident text in the CO statute for their concealed handgun permit.

They specifically do not issue to non residents right now but that may change due to Peterson, although it may not. Either way I should be a CO resident no later that August so it would be nice to get my training out of the way before the move.

Thanks for checking, I'll call to confirm for sure.

Rossi357
02-11-2012, 7:41 PM
I would attend one in the San Diego area.

D-Man
02-11-2012, 8:29 PM
Tagged for answering questions as well.

RP1911
02-11-2012, 9:00 PM
We're working on a similarly-structured NorCal-based training opportunity. Roughly speaking, we're targeting March and somewhere between Stockton and Chico.

-Brandon

:kest: :banghead:

Jason_2111
02-12-2012, 8:13 AM

-Brandon

This I would make it to.

Should you guys put a class together, please do a cross post into the firearms training forum. (I get email notification in that one)

PPQ
02-12-2012, 9:45 PM
Daughter and I are in!

Thanks for offering the class...

soopafly
02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
In there like Brazilian swimwear.

Thanks to all for getting this together.

wildhawker
02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Daughter and I are in!

That's music to this gun rights advocate's ears. Have a great day at the range!

-Brandon

llamatrnr
02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Well done, Sir, well done :clap:

proclone1
02-13-2012, 9:40 AM
Paid and signed up! I'm also interested in the CO aspects.

ETA: Just to make clear, students will fill out any/all ccw applications AT the course, and we're not supposed to download anything from the signup website and fill it out before the course, correct?

hopefully last question (and this one's silly): I've never been to Burro Canyon, but the roads to get to the range are paved or flat enough to not require a truck, right?

SWMP15
02-13-2012, 10:12 AM

-Brandon

Any plans for classes in the Bay Area?

locosway
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I can't quote on my phone, but I will have the paperwork for Arizona, Florida, and you'll get your Utah completion packet.

SASchnell
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll travel to the valley for this training. Looking forward to this event.

OUC
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Will this course help in getting a permit in Kalifornia?

Also, what does the course training cover?

thanks.

wildhawker
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Any plans for classes in the Bay Area?

Yes, the Bay is on the list.

-Brandon

smogcity
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm in!

Is there an option to fulfill LA county educational/LTC class requirements?

locosway
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Will this course help in getting a permit in Kalifornia?

Also, what does the course training cover?

thanks.

Unfortunately no, it will not help you in California at this time.

The course covers basic safety via the NRA portion, Utah law via the UT CCW portion, and then live fire to satisfy the NRA proficiency requirements.

I'm in!

Is there an option to fulfill LA county educational/LTC class requirements?

This class is not geared towards CCW/LTC inside of California.

locosway
02-13-2012, 7:15 PM
hopefully last question (and this one's silly): I've never been to Burro Canyon, but the roads to get to the range are paved or flat enough to not require a truck, right?

Yes, it's paved until the range, and then it's dirt (with some rocks). I take my lowered Civic Si up there without issue.

proclone1
02-13-2012, 8:38 PM
Yes, it's paved until the range, and then it's dirt (with some rocks). I take my lowered Civic Si up there without issue.

OK Great just like Angeles (totally manageable), thanks!

I went this one range a long time ago in a place I can't remember (but it took about 1.5hrs to get there) but I had borrowed my dad's SUV and was glad because it seemed like itwould have been impossible to get there with an ordinary sedan. This is clearly not the same place.

locosway
02-13-2012, 8:42 PM
OK Great just like Angeles (totally manageable), thanks!

I went this one range a long time ago in a place I can't remember (but it took about 1.5hrs to get there) but I had borrowed my dad's SUV and was glad because it seemed like itwould have been impossible to get there with an ordinary sedan. This is clearly not the same place.

Those places are usually better, keeps out the riffraff... :)

Rock6.3
02-13-2012, 9:27 PM

-Brandon

Brandon,

I have a meeting facility that can be at your disposal for running this event in Northern California, specifically in Redding, just a minute off the Interstate 5. Rough estimate is 75 student capacity seated at full sized tables, room has good acoustics, lighting and temperature control. Parking is more than sufficient.

Indoor range is about 15 minutes away.

Alternatively I may be able to arrange for access to a Private Rifle Range near Red Bluff (formal range, overhead cover, concrete shooting line, with a classroom that seats approximately 30.

It's good to have choices :)

Let me know what is preferred and some dates and I'll work to make it happen.

sreiter
02-14-2012, 7:12 PM
Is there any option for those of us who already had min. training?

I have certs for 12 hours safety from nra instructor when i got my Denver, CO LTC
and 96 hours of hand gun train (2 different NRA/gun site instructors)

locosway
02-14-2012, 7:14 PM
Is there any option for those of us who already had min. training?

I have certs for 12 hours safety from nra instructor when i got my Denver, CO LTC
and 96 hours of hand gun train (2 different NRA/gun site instructors)

Any NRA approved course completion certificate will allow you to apply for any of the listed CCW permits except for UT, which requires it's own class.

If you have one of those certificates, or already have a CCW, you can apply at the respective states for a non-resident CCW. There's no need to take this class.

floridaone2
02-15-2012, 3:38 AM
I'll be in for the nor-cal one.:) Keep up the good work.......yes Im up early I drank so much starbucks I couldnt sleep a wink:facepalm:

locosway
02-15-2012, 6:54 PM
Someone had called me about the site not being accessible last night. There was some maintenance I was doing and it's resolved now.

sreiter
02-15-2012, 7:09 PM
Any NRA approved course completion certificate will allow you to apply for any of the listed CCW permits except for UT, which requires it's own class.

If you have one of those certificates, or already have a CCW, you can apply at the respective states for a non-resident CCW. There's no need to take this class.

thanks

locosway
02-16-2012, 9:31 AM
Apparently there was a snafu on my part regarding where my contact form was sending questions. I think I responded to everyone, but if I missed a question please let me know.

BusBoy
02-16-2012, 9:43 AM
Yes, the Bay is on the list.

-Brandon

The wife an I + another couple would be there for a Bay Area one... Might do the Stockton one rather than wait.

This is great that these are being put on!

Sealawyer
02-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Might do the Stockton one rather than wait.

This is great that these are being put on!

Where is the info on the Sockton class?

wildhawker
02-16-2012, 2:30 PM

There isn't any, yet. We'll post a separate thread about a NorCal opportunity when we have some details to share.

-Brandon

BusBoy
02-16-2012, 4:47 PM

Brandon already posted but I apologize for shortening up his original post :o

locosway
02-19-2012, 8:40 PM
There are still more spots open and only 6 days left to register.

locosway
02-23-2012, 2:54 AM
3 more days to register and still more spots open!

locosway
02-25-2012, 6:33 PM
Tonight is the last night to register for the class if you want your certificate in person that day.

I will accept people who just show up, and there's about spots open for such people. The only caveat is I will mail your certificate of completion to you instead of having it ready that day.

locosway
02-26-2012, 5:29 PM
We had a good class today, and I apologize for being so monotone during my lecture part. I'll try and work on it, but I'm afraid I'll never be as exciting as Aaron. :)

I wanted to thank all of those who came out and took the class today. Also special thanks to Darren from 5 Arrows Tactical for handling the UT portion and RO duties.

I encourage everyone who wants to learn more to either schedule one-on-one time if you need more training on the basics, or to take Darren's Tactical class as I don't yet have my own. :)

The Cable Guy
02-26-2012, 5:31 PM
Dang, too bad I missed this. I was down with a cold anyways. Any future classes? I have my AZ packet and I just need to get prints and training.

locosway
02-26-2012, 5:47 PM
Dang, too bad I missed this. I was down with a cold anyways. Any future classes? I have my AZ packet and I just need to get prints and training.

I can't speak for CGF, but we have materials left over, and willing instructors. So it's possible to do another event just like this one. We'll probably be looking at a different range other than Burro to cut our expenses.

I'll talk to Brandon/Wildhawker this week and see where we stand with this class and if we can get another one going soon.

proclone1
02-26-2012, 6:31 PM
This was an awesome class, thanks for doing it! I am kind of kicking myself for not bringing my GF to do the class with me. She's never shot before, and I've been wanting to get her in a class but have been holding out for a womens-only type environment. This class however I think she would have felt really comfortable in.

locosway
02-26-2012, 6:43 PM
This was an awesome class, thanks for doing it! I am kind of kicking myself for not bringing my GF to do the class with me. She's never shot before, and I've been wanting to get her in a class but have been holding out for a womens-only type environment. This class however I think she would have felt really comfortable in.

There is a CGN Womens shoot coming up. If she doesn't make it to that one, you guys should come to the next class we do.

D-Man
02-26-2012, 7:41 PM
Thanks for having me assist in instructing today! It was great getting to meet a bunch of fellow Calgunners out at Burro Canyon today. I do offer a Utah, Florida, Arizona, Oregon, & Virginia class each month in San Dimas in case anyone missed this class and wants to get their CCW training completed.

w55
02-26-2012, 7:47 PM

-Brandon

that would be great!

soopafly
02-27-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks again to all who put this together. I'm glad I took the class.

I've been a casual target shooter/plinker for 19 years, and this is the first time I've had any formal instruction. Now that the bug has bit me, I really want to start taking defensive pistol/rifle/shotgun classes.

On a side note, I saw pictures being taken...you guys gonna post 'em up here?

Patermagnus
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm also interested in the Bay Area, and I'll bring the fiancee as well.

nonyupie
03-04-2012, 9:43 PM
I would be intrested in Sacramento or Stockton. I already have CA, OR, AZ but I need UT.

locosway
03-04-2012, 9:51 PM
Thanks again to all who put this together. I'm glad I took the class.

I've been a casual target shooter/plinker for 19 years, and this is the first time I've had any formal instruction. Now that the bug has bit me, I really want to start taking defensive pistol/rifle/shotgun classes.

On a side note, I saw pictures being taken...you guys gonna post 'em up here?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The pictures have been posted on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryman-Tactical/110098502439909

Next time we'll take more pictures and add video. We were pressed for time this session and wanted people to shoot more at the end.