PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP owners

jasonnorcal
02-11-2012, 3:37 PM
Do you actually utilize the quick change barrel feature? What other calibers do you run? Maybe you have the same calibers and just switch barrel length.I just DROS'd 3 lowers and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.

The Virus
02-11-2012, 3:41 PM
You can buy my MRP piston upper!

jasonnorcal
02-11-2012, 4:07 PM
Pistons suck! LOL. no thanks dude. DI ftw!

NYY
02-11-2012, 4:09 PM
Do you actually utilize the quick change barrel feature? What other calibers do you run? Maybe you have the same calibers and just switch barrel length.I just DROS'd 3 lowers and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.

3 lowers.

i would:

1) 5.56 any way you like it
2) 6.8spc
3) 9mm AR

then again, you bought 3 of the same lowers, so all 3 of those upper could fit on any 1 standard lower.... awk

BUT, each setup would normally require its own dealio. ex. the 6.8spc would be a long range rifle for me so id have lets say, an a2 stock blah blah, meanwhile with the 9m ar id have a collapsible stock (pretty much same config as the 5.56 upper.) just depends what your usin'm for

jasonnorcal
02-11-2012, 4:12 PM
I have two 5.56 AR's already. I was considering 6.8 spc for 1 of the MRP barrels

NYY
02-11-2012, 4:14 PM
I have two 5.56 AR's already. I was considering 6.8 spc for 1 of the MRP barrels

yeah just getting the barrel is obviously way cheaper. hmmmm. up to you! depends what you'll do wit'mm

Dhena81
02-11-2012, 4:21 PM
Regardless of the quick change barrel the thin profile LMT monolithic rail and the tightness of the whole package makes it worth it. I would wait on buying a new LMT used it would be worth it. LMT is coming out with a new upper that you can run slick with rails where you need it and it's lighter.

The three uppers I would put on

1. 14.5" 5.56
2. 18" SS 5.56
3. 14.5" 5.45x39

jasonnorcal
02-11-2012, 4:30 PM
yeah i was thinking the 14.5 and 18 ss combo would be pretty sweet. I hadn't considered 5.45 but that is a great idea too. I'll keep a lookout for that new slick LMT. It's gonna be atleast 6mos b4 I can buy anything anyways

1911man
02-14-2012, 8:41 PM
I have 4 lowers and just bought the mrp piston 16" 5.56 . Other uppers that I have are 2 16" one is a LMT the other is a noveske. So basically I have 3 16" 5.56' one 16" 6.8 spc ( noveske) , and one 14.5 noveske I have just built. I use the 6.8 16" noveske for my spr rifle ( longer distances, and hunting). The mrp pistion I just purchased I plan to take on tactical courses because of the mass quantity of ammo I go through and it runs cooler, but alittle on the heavy side, wish I got it with a 14.5" barrel rather than the 16". Maybe i will order one or have the 16" cut down to 14.5. I am hoping it will work. I here that a mrp non piston will work in my mrp pistion upper. All that I would have to do is to change the BCG and a 14.5" standard mrp non piston barrel ( maybe someone can tell me the answer to that question). So at present I have a target (hunting) 6.8, a hunting target 5.56, a cqb style 5.56 (noveske). It seems the next choice naturally would be a 14.5" 6.8 spc, but I am having a hard time justifying it. Maybe one of you guys can help me with that. A cheaper way of make a 6.8 spc 14.5 " upper would be to take one of my 16" 5.56s and convert it over, or to buy a standard 6.8 spc LMT mrp barrel but I don't know if it would work? In my upper, without it being a piston. If it did I think all LMT 6.8 are 1-10 twists so I could not shoot spc ll ammo? That would rule that out, so that would leave me to choosing on off my 5.56 to covert over to 6.8 spc 14.5. That is if someone can convince me to do it?

Dhena81
02-14-2012, 9:08 PM
You can switch from DI to piston as long as your LMT MRP upper isn't rifle length which it can't be since it's already a piston upper. You just need the right BCG I believe the piston bolt doesn't have gas rings otherwise you could just replace the carrier.

If it was me I would just cut the 16" 6.8 to 14.5" and not have 2 almost exactly the same barrel lengths in that cartridge. I'm not an expert but from my understanding the 6.8 SPC 2 or whatever it is now velocity is hardly if any affected by barrel length. There are people that can make any barrel manufacture compatible with the MRP design if your interested google it you'll find the shops that do it.

BTW piston guns don't run cooler they run just as hot it's just in different places.

1911man
02-14-2012, 9:19 PM
I thought the piston BCG was flared in the back of the carrier because of canting.

The reason that I would want a 14.5" 6.8 spc is because of the lighter weight and maneuverability.

rogtac
02-14-2012, 9:24 PM
LMT's CQB/MRP 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout barrel will be available in about 4 months as well.

Dhena81
02-14-2012, 9:43 PM
I thought the piston BCG was flared in the back of the carrier because of canting.

The reason that I would want a 14.5" 6.8 spc is because of the lighter weight and maneuverability.

If you want to go to piston in the MRP you need the correct barrel assembly and change out the BCG.

I was just thinking out loud and saying if the LMT piston BCG's bolt came with gas rings you could just buy a DI carrier and switch the bolts out between the two carriers.

To me its funny that my LWRC bolt has gas rings but I guess they serve no function in a piston AR.

tenpercentfirearms
02-15-2012, 8:48 AM
I still have my 5.56mm CQB 16" MRP. I had a 18" SS 6.8SPC barrel too and quickly realized I don't like switching barrels. I had to rezero my ACOG and it was just a general pain in the rear. So I ordered a standard MRP and put the 6.8SPC in it. Then I got off the 6.8SPC kick and sold it.

Personally I wouldn't buy an MRP to swap barrels. It is a good seller and marketable that way, but realistically, you won't want to do it.

I am thinking about building my .300 AAC Blackout Pistol with an LMT top end. Not sure if I want to wait that long.