PDA

View Full Version : Places to shoot in the Central Valley

Kauf
02-11-2012, 2:19 PM
Will be taking the 5 freeway to the 99 freeway on my way to Yosemite National Park from Orange County. Are there any places along the way maybe outside of Fresno that I can just pull off the road and go shoot? Didn't get any pertinent information in my last post hoping this one has more luck. Thanks!

Cypriss32
02-11-2012, 3:16 PM
All private land up here man........ Few pistol ranges in town, and one or 2 rifle ranges outside of town.

Kauf
02-11-2012, 3:58 PM
How about in the national forest surrounding the park?

FIREBALL_BRIAN
02-12-2012, 7:45 AM
When you are up by bass lake there is a open dirt range 100yd by the bass lake court. No range master. No personal

shadowofnight
02-12-2012, 8:22 AM
Check out the range in Linden, nice place to go...

http://www.outdoorgunrange.com/index.html

icenix
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Just off of 99 in Fresno is The Range, an indoor shooting range that is open to the public. If you want to travel across and just into the foothills, there is the Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club, an outdoor range that is also open to the public. I am sure there are other cities along the way that have ranges, but I don't know of them. Other than that, not much open land or other places that I know of.

Llengih
02-12-2012, 1:14 PM
If you stay on the 5 you can go to Panoche. BLM land that is great for shooting. It's pretty much west of Fresno. But from there you'd still be able to head north and cut over to Yosemite.

Colt-45
02-12-2012, 5:15 PM
isn't there a range in Visalia and one in Tulare?

GunDog
02-12-2012, 5:25 PM
isn't there a range in Visalia and one in Tulare?

Yes, check out/google Daryl Wimp range in Visalia and Rankin Field in Tulare. Rankin Field is located on Road 140 and approximately Ave 200.

brianm767
02-12-2012, 5:25 PM
When you are up by bass lake there is a open dirt range 100yd by the bass lake court. No range master. No personal

This is probably the same place I was thinking about, but honestly I couldn't give good enough directions for any one to find it.

As your going up 41 , after you pass Oakurst, you come to the Bass Lake turn off, you take that just a few miles up and on the right you turn off on a dirt road, up a couple hundred yards is an open area the public shoots at. Some times the road is pretty rough an rutted. It's just an open area, that's been used for years, bring you own targets and means to hang them or a box to put them on.

But I can't tell you of any land marks or any thing to let you know which turn off it is , maybe some one who's been there recently can help? It's been a couple years since I was there.

But this is right on your way, literally only a few minutes off the 41.

Kinsel83
02-12-2012, 5:30 PM
Also there's the auberry range near the friant/ kern canal. About 15 min north east of clovis. Outdoor range. $20 to shoot.

But please stop by the Visalia dale wimp range! It's a awesome range not far off 99 and plus I'm a member lol.

brianm767
02-12-2012, 5:40 PM
Also there's the auberry range near the friant/ kern canal. About 15 min north east of clovis. Outdoor range. $20 to shoot.

But please stop by the Visalia dale wimp range! It's a awesome range not far off 99 and plus I'm a member lol.

Aubery (Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club) is a nice range but make sure you don't have any ammo that a magnet will stick to the slug, it's not allowed.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
02-12-2012, 6:14 PM
I haven't been to the bass lake range but I have a buddy that shoots there. If someone were to need directions pm me and I can ask my buddy for ya.

Honeydos
02-12-2012, 6:17 PM
http://www.visaliasportsmans.com/ Open Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday from 8 to 3.

Closed next weekend for a bench-rest competition, but observers are welcome. Just off the 99 about a mile north of Goshen just outside of Visalia.

Colt-45
02-12-2012, 6:33 PM
It's a awesome range not far off 99 and plus I'm a member lol.

Is it members only?

LTP90
02-12-2012, 6:51 PM
In the Sierra NF you should be all good, unless they are in fire restrictions, which they shouldn't be. I normally go shoot on the Sierra(though not the part you will be traveling in).
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5323694.pdf

I normally go with at least 200 feet from the road, so its not even a question that I am far enough off the road. Also don't just pull off the 41 and go blazing away, just not a smart idea on a heavily traveled road. If you look on google earth or on a forest map you ought to be able to find a logging road/spur road that you can pull off onto and get out of view of the general public.

blackandredwarrior
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I think this is the place near Bass Lake people are talking about. It's just a little under 5 miles from 41.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bass+lake,+ca+maps&ll=37.343409,-119.589239&spn=0.003442,0.006968&hnear=Bass+Lake,+Madera,+California&gl=us&t=h&z=18