PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Handgun Out of State

Rhino Chaser
02-11-2012, 8:29 AM
I know that this has been asked before; however I'd like to confirm that nothing has changed.

May a handgun be shipped out of state by a private party to an FFL for transfer/sale to another private party residing in that state?

Background:

My dad is going to visit. He is leaving on the 19th. I bought a 1911 for him from a friend who still has possession and has not transferred it to me--we’ve both been too busy to connect.

If I do the transfer today it will be on hold the entire time that my dad is visiting. I know that he would like to shoot it with me before he leaves.

Is it legal for my friend to loan us the gun for a few days and then for me to ship it to my father’s FFL with a copy of my friend's DL for transfer?

The FFL has confirmed that he will receive the gun although he had questions about a private party vs an FFL shipping it to him. Will UPS question ownership of the gun?

mes227
02-11-2012, 8:37 AM
UPS won't care and it's done for the FFL to receive it. Federal law allows private parties to ship to FFLs. California laws, however, are far more draconian and I am 90% sure that - to be Calif legal - you must have a Calif FFL ship the gun. The seller may insist in that anyway to make sure the gun comes out of his name on the Calif books.

The seller could drive to Nevada and then ship to an FFL, thats perfectly legal.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-11-2012, 9:40 AM
...California laws, however, are far more draconian and I am 90% sure that - to be Calif legal - you must have a Calif FFL ship the gun.

Not true. California has no such requirement.

The seller may insist in that anyway to make sure the gun comes out of his name on the Calif books.

Having a California FFL ship the gun for you won't take the gun out of your name on the California books. You can mail in the "No Longer In Possession" form and CalDOJ will make a note on their registration records that you sold the gun. There is no requirement that you do this.