PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Legal Question:) Truck roof-mounted turret, sans rifle...

Jason P
02-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Is this legal in California? I have a 3500 Silverado with a sunroof. I'd like to fabricate a turret base of sorts and mount it to the rear oof the opening, but not actually mount anything to it. I'd also fabricate an adapter to mount say a quadrailed X to it easily with a clamp bolt attachment of some sort...

Just in case sort of mounting platform, NO ACTUAL WEAPON TO BE ACTUALLY MOUNTED EVEN DURING TEST FITMENT.

Let the games begin:)

kdm
02-11-2012, 4:55 AM
Don't see why it'd be illegal. I've seen some pretty crazy things hanging off of cars...check the motor vehicle codes about it. There should be reference to stuff like this. Since it'll be oriented "up", and not encroaching into another lane or sticking way out behind you, it should be fine.

cdtx2001
02-11-2012, 6:00 AM
While you're at it, why not rebuild a classic Corvette with no engine in it? It too would be useless.

Seriously, I see no problem with a mount.

rudigan
02-11-2012, 6:26 AM
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy355/rudigan/gal_cars_animal-house.jpg

Matt640h
02-11-2012, 7:00 AM
This has CA plates and a decommissioned 50 cal on the roof.

geeknow
02-11-2012, 7:21 AM
There's a couple guys running around my city with old .mil jeeps, complete with 50cals mounted. I'm pretty sure that they are non-firing. Nobody gives them any trouble. I cant see why a mount w/o the gun would be a problem. Trucks, of all sorts, have racks and stuff attached to them. people put ski/bike/etc racks on their roofs all the time. Whats the difference?

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 7:32 AM
Darin Prince has a functional M2 on his Humvee in CA. Yea, it's 100% legal. I thought about mounting my little 1919 to the lighbars on my old '72 Power Wagon and fabrication some sort of webbed harness for the shooter. But, I moved and ended up giving the truck away.

Mulay El Raisuli
02-11-2012, 8:09 AM

That's not a good example. No rear view mirrors! :)

The Raisuli

greasemonkey
02-11-2012, 8:56 AM
If I recall correctly, having a firearm mounted on a vehicle and driving isn't an issue, it's firing from a moving vehicle, gun mounted or not, that becomes a legal issue. And what about GFSZ?

No legal issues with having an 'accessory mount'. BTW, are you talking a traditional roof-style 360* pivoting turret or a fixed-post style like you'd usually see in a pickup bed?

Rossi357
02-11-2012, 9:12 AM

Does this rig have any cupholders?

Falstaff
02-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Darin Prince has a functional M2 on his Humvee in CA. Yea, it's 100% legal. I thought about mounting my little 1919 to the lighbars on my old '72 Power Wagon and fabrication some sort of webbed harness for the shooter. But, I moved and ended up giving the truck away.

This from a rabidly anti-open carrier advocate who routinely excoriates any UOC'er who dares to discuss UOC here.... hmmm, can I getta' WTF?

CSA please explain your position to me on UOC, I know you post that it's OK for you to UOC long guns because you "live in the country and you need to have a truck gun for coyotes" (that's a paraphrase of what YOU said in some old thread about that guy that was UOCing an AR). Anyway, I just couldnt let the hypocrisy of your criticism of UOC'ers slide. Especially when juxtaposed with your belief that it's OK for you to UOC crew served weapon platforms around town on your jeep or whatever.

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
This from a rabidly anti-open carrier advocate who routinely excoriates any UOC'er who dares to discuss UOC here.... hmmm, can I getta' WTF?

CSA please explain your position to me on UOC, I know you post that it's OK for you to UOC long guns because you "live in the country and you need to have a truck gun for coyotes" (that's a paraphrase of what YOU said in some old thread about that guy that was UOCing an AR). Anyway, I just couldnt let the hypocrisy of your criticism of UOC'ers slide. Especially when juxtaposed with your belief that it's OK for you to UOC crew served weapon platforms around town on your jeep or whatever.

I'm definately NOT against LOC or UOC. I'm against the idiot, in your face UOCs who pushed too hard and too fast and created another hurdle for us to have to overcome. Next is going to be a ban on UOC of long guns which will F most of us who do not bother to lock our long guns when carrying them to the car or when transporting them down the road. I routinely carry more than 10 long guns to the range in unlocked soft case on my back seat. I'm definately against the morons who are pushing legislators to do something which will take this right away from me. There is a time and place for everything and the UOC movement is purposely picking the wrong times and places to exercise their rights. They are obviously doing this for shock factor and to prove a point. Well, just like the Black Panthers did, the modern Ca OUC movement has done more to help the anti 2A movement in CA than the antis ever could.

Glock22Fan
02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm definately NOT against LOC or UOC. I'm against the idiot, in your face UOCs who pushed too hard and too fast and created another hurdle for us to have to overcome. Next is going to be a ban on UOC of long guns which will F most of us who do not bother to lock our long guns when carrying them to the car or when transporting them down the road. I routinely carry more than 10 long guns to the range in unlocked soft case on my back seat. I'm definately against the morons who are pushing legislators to do something which will take this right away from me. There is a time and place for everything and the UOC movement is purposely picking the wrong times and places to exercise their rights. They are obviously doing this for shock factor and to prove a point. Well, just like the Black Panthers did, the modern Ca OUC movement has done more to help the anti 2A movement in CA than the antis ever could.

I agree.

Falstaff
02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
So tooling around with a 1919 bouncing around on the rollbar is different than the the "idiots" tooling around with rifles on their backs?

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 12:52 PM
So tooling around with a 1919 bouncing around on the rollbar is different than the the "idiots" tooling around with rifles on their backs?

At the time I lived in a private box canyon on 400 acres. Also, I never did it. If I had, I would not have just tooled around town "because I have the right to" and rubbed it in anti's faces. Besides, the truck wasn't even registered. I just used it as a ranch truck.

Falstaff
02-11-2012, 1:26 PM
So your answer is "yes", it is different for you because of where you live. You keep falling back to that "bu bu but I live in the country" defence, as I expected.

You just can't bring yourself to support the 2nd amendment can ya?
To me, ya either believe in it or ya don't no grey area for me.

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2012, 1:45 PM
No, I was just outside the city. I would have kept it on private property and, I never even did it. It has nothing to do with my living in the country.

Cpl. Haas
02-11-2012, 1:58 PM
Just 'cause it looks like a weapon turret don't mean it's for a weapon...

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/835/528to530latrip029.jpg

If there's an issue with having a roof-mounted turret, it would be with your insurance provider, not the law.

Meplat
02-11-2012, 2:15 PM
Is this legal in California? I have a 3500 Silverado with a sunroof. I'd like to fabricate a turret base of sorts and mount it to the rear oof the opening, but not actually mount anything to it. I'd also fabricate an adapter to mount say a quadrailed X to it easily with a clamp bolt attachment of some sort...

Just in case sort of mounting platform, NO ACTUAL WEAPON TO BE ACTUALLY MOUNTED EVEN DURING TEST FITMENT.

I was at an air show once where there was a group of guys who belonged to a club which restored vintage military vehicles. They were from the local chapter of a nationwide organization. Kinda like an NRA for Jeep freaks. They had quite an interesting exhibit with at least two Jeeps with 1919s mounted. One was a very early 1919 with a brass bound water jacket and dovetailed wooden ammo boxes. Hard not to drool? There was also a WWII vintage half track with a MA duce. I assume the guns were semi-auto or demiled, but was not about to ask. Some questions are better left alone.

Anyway, my point is that if you Google around a bit I would bet you could find their web site and probably a forum. If anyone can answer your questions it would be these guys.

My opinion is I doubt there would be a problem. If you mounted a real gun of some kind or even dummy replica gun, there might be some brandishing laws you could run afoul of.

Dutch3
02-11-2012, 4:26 PM
So your answer is "yes", it is different for you because of where you live. You keep falling back to that "bu bu but I live in the country" defence, as I expected.

But it is different according to where you live. Because the law says so.

I can UOC if I so choose, because I live in an "unincorporated area where the discharge of firearms is not otherwise prohibited".

It is true that one's locality within this state may afford fewer restrictions of rights when compared to another location in CA. I don't necessarily agree with it, but facts are facts.

Jason P
02-11-2012, 8:44 PM
Thanks everybody, glad I didn't use any well-known acronyms in this thread, or it could've really degenerated:)

Tankhatch
02-11-2012, 9:53 PM
The un-written rule, for military vehile owners with mounted guns, is to keep the mounted guns covered when traveling to and from parade locations or vehicle displays.

greasemonkey
02-11-2012, 9:57 PM
Are you just trolling? Or do you really see no difference between OC'ing on one's own private property in an unincorporated area and getting a group, calling the press and showing up at a busy establishment right in the middle of a heavily populated area just to say "F. you, it's my right, I can do what I want [with this privilege that's not really a properly applied right, yet]".
:facepalm:

dantodd
02-12-2012, 6:57 AM

Yes, clearly because he wanted a fun ranch toy he is anti-2A.

If CSA had said he wanted to build one and meet a bunch of other people with similar vehicles for a show of force at the local police dept. or courthouse you MIGHT have a fair comparison. Prove toy on private property, not so much.

cdtx2001
02-12-2012, 7:31 AM
This thread is starting to take some nasty turns that have nothing to do with the OP's question, soooo.....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/geekdevil/ibtl_2.gif

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2012, 7:59 AM
If CSA had said he wanted to build one and meet a bunch of other people with similar vehicles for a show of force at the local police dept. or courthouse you MIGHT have a fair comparison. Prove toy on private property, not so much.

Now there's an idea. Who's in? Should we do it in LA, SF or follow in the Black Panthers' footsteps and go to SAC? I wonder if the state legislature would support us like they supported all the others who have helped the antis by making gun owners look like bullies and fools? Or, maybe we should wait a little while until, once again, it is commonplace to see rifles in rifle racks on many pickups as they drive down the road. Then we can slowly and logically work together to get vehicle mounted guns accepted by the mainstream again. Or, we can do what the UOC movement has done and set our progress back a generation or two. Well, which way should we procede? While I do not have my old '72 PW, I do have an '06 PW and a '94 Discovery with a rack and dual sun roofs that could easily be adapted for a turet. Maybe a hidden retractable turret would be cooler. I wonder how hard it would be to fab one up for my wife's ragtop 430 CLK? Come on Falstaff, are you with me? Wanna mount a beltfed on your car and head to SF, LA or SAC to show everyone that you have the legal right to do so?

First off, I don't see a grey area either. I do see that there is a time and place for everything. A good soldier listens to generals who have strategically picked battles and tactics. A rouge soldier, just blindly charges ahead and gets himself killed while exposing his fellow troops to the enemy. Which one do you want to be? There will be a time to fight for UOC but, the morons who have been "in your face" with it have set us back a generation or two already. We need to have a definate plan to regain the rights which a few idiots have seen fit to get taken from us.

As far as me being pro or anit 2A, I've been responsible for somewhere between 500 and 1000 AK style weapons, some MACs and a few 1919s being legally built in CA without any papertrail at all. Yea, I do feel personally resposible for this since these were all built at my home by their owners. I'm not even going to guess how many more have been built since I've stopped hosting build parties but, those who I've inspired have stepped up and kept it going. Build parties were completely dead in the entire state when I started hosting. Now, due to many things including my keeping the idea viable and current, there are build parties happening all over the state in record numbers and with greater frequency than ever.

So, besides backing the UOC movement which has been resposible for all of us LOOSING our RIGHT to UOC, what have YOU DONE for 2A rights?
Yea, that's what I thought. You've backed the people who are responsible for all of us having to suffer for years to come. Good going. You are surely someone who the rest of us need to use as an example of who not to be and what not to do.

Jack L
02-12-2012, 8:24 AM

I have seen a jeep with 50 mounted on it parked on the steet in Santa Barbara, CA before. Looked like this;

rudigan
02-12-2012, 7:26 PM
I have seen a jeep with 50 mounted on it parked on the steet in Santa Barbara, CA before. Looked like this;

Rat Patrol

w55
02-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Thanks everybody, glad I didn't use any well-known acronyms in this thread, or it could've really degenerated:)

lol....so it goes:p....

w55
02-12-2012, 8:03 PM
Actually to drift a bit on the OP...I was going to work on my dads jeep to mount a 1919 and yes its on a private ranch and no I wouldnt do it in town.

CSACANNONEER
02-15-2012, 7:57 AM
Well Falstaff? Yea, that's what I thought. A man will publicly admit when he's made a mistake. A keyboard commando will just ignore the thread as soon as his obvious ignorance comes to light.

TMC
02-15-2012, 8:10 AM
If this is any indication it should be ok, I saw this in an upscale residential neighborhood. It has either a fake or de-mil 50 on the roof.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=135352&stc=1&d=1329322018