PDA

View Full Version : Walther P38 WWII

Raptor3000
02-10-2012, 4:18 PM
HI guys,

Century arms has Walther WWII P38 for $799, for a excellent condition one. Not sure what excellent condition mean.

Does any one bought these? are they worth that price?

it will be $799 + $27 shipping + $70 (transfer and DROS).

thanks

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 5:05 PM
Sounds like a deal to me. Most I've seen are going for this rate and higher. Are you looking for a collectable or a shooter? If you're wanting a shooter I'd look more at the later model P38/P1's.

Raptor3000
02-10-2012, 5:35 PM
Want a collector.

Geologyjohn
02-10-2012, 7:11 PM
$800 bucks is pretty average price for a common date and code original P-38. That is about the same price that I see asked (for common date/code)at the gun shows that I attend, and at least at the gun shows, you can examine the pistol. Geologyjohn

Peter W Bush
02-10-2012, 7:26 PM
I paid $900 for mine. WWII bring back with original holster. Gave it to my dad for his bday.

westcoast362
02-10-2012, 9:27 PM
I don't know, but I bet excellent condition means refinished by someone. If that's the case it's not collectable in my opinion.

morrcarr67
02-11-2012, 6:29 AM
Thing is they have been listing this for a while but they don't have them in stock

Product ID: HG701-X
Original WWII P38 Pistol, Cal. 9mm
Original WWII P38 Pistol, Cal. 9mm
This is the P38 you've been waiting for all your life! P38 pistols were used by Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe Waffen-.SS, Marine and Police as well as other armed forces of Nazi Germany. They were manufactured till the end of the war in 1945. These German beauties are in great shape! The ones we closely examined have crisp markings, very little wear and have been extremely well taken care of. These are a true masterpiece in firearms design and they are just absolutely beautiful to look at. Don't wait and be disappointed, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to obtain a fantastic piece of German military pistol. Barrel: 5", Overall: 8.5". Weight: 1.8 lbs. Condition: Excellent.
Price: $799.87
Coming Soon

They also have:

Condition: Good.
Price: Dealer Login required. Consumers, please visit your local dealer for pricing.
Coming Soon

Condition: Very Good.
Price: Dealer Login required. Consumers, please visit your local dealer for pricing.
Coming Soon

I wonder if they will ever get them in.

Geologyjohn
02-11-2012, 7:02 PM
Just go to a gun show and buy one. As I noted previously, at least you get to check it out in person and make sure that it is what you want. Also, you can haggle on the price. Geologyjohn

zinfull
02-12-2012, 9:33 AM
For that price buy a non-imported one. Imported P38s go for $400-450.

jerry

Justintoxicated
02-13-2012, 3:59 PM
Do most of them have dark bores from corrosive ammo?

Dr.Mauser
02-13-2012, 4:37 PM
If your in or near sacramento river city gun exchange has them for around $550.

Raptor3000
02-13-2012, 5:22 PM
If your in or near sacramento river city gun exchange has them for around $550.

Are these with Nazi markings on them?

thanks

Dr.Mauser
02-13-2012, 7:53 PM
Sure are, and don't quote me on the buti think 1 of them has a holster if my memory serves me right.

Raptor3000
02-13-2012, 8:00 PM
Are P38s made in SpreeWerke less desirable than Walther or Mauser made ones? I am asking this because Century is selling P38s for around $799 and Aim are selling SPreeWerke for $539.

Thanks

nmerced
02-13-2012, 8:57 PM
Are P38s made in SpreeWerke less desirable than Walther or Mauser made ones? I am asking this because Century is selling P38s for around $799 and Aim are selling SPreeWerke for $539.

Thanks

Some factors to consider:
1. No year of manufacture stamped on Spreewerk made guns.
2. Made in Czechoslovakia.
3. Probably more supply available.

Still a good gun IMO.

Raptor3000
02-13-2012, 9:13 PM
Some factors to consider:
1. No year of manufacture stamped on Spreewerk made guns.
2. Made in Czechoslovakia.
3. Probably more supply available.

Still a good gun IMO.

Spreewerk is in Berlin right?

thanks

nmerced
02-13-2012, 9:42 PM
Berlin is where the office was. Their factory was in Czechoslovakia.

http://eartist.nl/P.38.htm

"Also in 1942 Spreewerk (Berlin) was asked to join in the production of P.38's. The code was cyq/cvq. And although the firm of Spreewerk was headquarted in Berlin, the actual factory producing P.38's was in Hradec nad Nisou (Czechoslovakia) and was designated Werk Grottau."

morrcarr67
02-14-2012, 7:09 AM
I also believe the ones that River City has are also CYQ stamped. For what AIM Surplus want you would be better off going to River City if your close enough.

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Is there any other store close to Losangeles that has these guns?

thanks

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Are russian captures really collectors items or they do not have much collector value?

thanks

Dr.Mauser
02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
If you think about it they should, because an RC is just that a Russian Capture so it saw combat in the east against them so IMO if in decent enough shape I think they should be.

nmerced
02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
General perception is that RCs that have been rearsenaled by the Russians do not have the same fit and finish (e.g. thin plastic grips, rough texture, etc.) as its German counterpart.

stevied
02-14-2012, 2:00 PM
Are russian captures really collectors items or they do not have much collector value?

thanks

They don't have as much collector value as they have been refinished. A easy give away of a RC is that the safety no longer has the paint on it.

Spree Works is one of the least desireable manufactures. For around $800 you should look for a original Walther. The ones that AIM has are over priced because they are RC.

stevied
02-14-2012, 2:02 PM
If you think about it they should, because an RC is just that a Russian Capture so it saw combat in the east against them so IMO if in decent enough shape I think they should be.

RC's are only about 60-75% of the value of a original...don't mislead based on opinion and not facts.

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 2:38 PM
http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27511

Buying the BYF 43 in the list above. What do you guys think? i am assuming this is not a RC. Also it comes with matching WWII magazine.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 5:03 PM
Guys, I have a C&R but i know that i cannot buy a hand gun with C&R in california.

How do i buy a P38 from out of state from a private party? do i have to go through FFL01, pay transfer fee and tax?

please advice.

thanks

zinfull
02-14-2012, 5:08 PM
Where do you live? It helps with advising a FFL.

Yes have it sent to a FFL01 and DROS it from them. Be sure to ask how much as it varies a lot between FFLs.

It does not look as a RC from the pictures. The paint is good in the safety and the plunger is in the white.

jerry

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 5:15 PM
I am in Woodland Hills, CA (Losangeles area).

Can i receive the gun and then register it? or is it illegal.

thanks

pdr1269
02-14-2012, 5:33 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy a Russian Captured P-38. I collect these guns and as far as being collectible they are a waste of your money. If you just want a gun to shoot I guess they are ok. Look around for a nice original gun and pay a little more. You'll be glad you did! Good luck with your quest. It's half the fun.

Raptor3000
02-14-2012, 5:42 PM
Guys, Need your help.

I have C&R license, Can i receive the P38 from out of state from a private party and then register it? or is it illegal.

thanks

nmerced
02-14-2012, 6:26 PM
From the Cal Regs sticky:

Where the C&R FFL comes in handy is when the holder is out of the state. They may purchase any C&R firearm and bring it back to California. The exceptions of course include those “evil” “assault weapons”. Also, magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds cannot be brought back. Any C&R handguns purchased must be registered with the California DOJ within 5 days and are reported on Form BCIA 4100A along with a $19.00 payment for each handgun. [PC 12072(f)(3)] The form is now on the California DOJ web site, forms section.

Others will chime in on this.

morrcarr67
02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Raptor you will need to have it shipped to an 01 ffl near you. They can and will charge what ever they want. You will need to DROS it and wait 10 days unless you have your COE too. With the COE there is no waiting but you still have to pay the DROS fee.

bolt-action
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
From the Cal Regs sticky:

Where the C&R FFL comes in handy is when the holder is out of the state. They may purchase any C&R firearm and bring it back to California. The exceptions of course include those “evil” “assault weapons”. Also, magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds cannot be brought back. Any C&R handguns purchased must be registered with the California DOJ within 5 days and are reported on Form BCIA 4100A along with a $19.00 payment for each handgun. [PC 12072(f)(3)] The form is now on the California DOJ web site, forms section.

Others will chime in on this.

Chiming in here...

C&R Handguns are exempt from the California DOJ "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" list.

From what I read below, within California, one can buy an "in-state" C&R handgun and have the DROS processed via a California-based FFL 01. So, if you are looking to buy a P38, P08, or a P1, so long as it was manufactured over 50 years ago, you can buy it in California because it is exempted from the list. You just need to wait to come back 10 days later to pick it up from the dealer, provided you passed the background check.

The alternate way to acquire a C&R handgun located for sale outside of California is via the FFL 03 (you must buy it and you must import it yourself). Buy the C&R handgun from a gun-friendly state, say Arizona, and the day you drive, walk, bike, skateboard, rollerblade, or fly back into California (you have just imported the gun into California), you will have to submit/mail-out a "required" registration form to the CA DOJ for that or those C&R handguns and you will have to do this no later than 5 days from re-entry into California at a present cost of $19 per firearm.

I believe there may be a few more ways to have them in California, but I have not read up on those...so don't quote me on that, please.

Remember, you cannot have the C&R HANDGUN sent, teleported, brought into California by anyone other than yourself if you are to go the FFL 03 route.

Also, the C&R handgun must still comply with all CA state laws, for example magazine capacity must be 10 or less...etc.

Source: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Use the query form to find the handgun models currently certified for sale in California.
All handguns listed on the roster are approved with or without night sights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BruinGuy
07-26-2013, 2:33 PM
Holy necro-post boltman!

Might have been a useful addition to the thread...18 months ago!