PDA

View Full Version : Guns of Firefly

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Okay, so after all the talk I've finally decided to sit down and watch this series. I'm a SciFi nut, loved B5, and figured now was the time. Boy am I glad I did. I know this has been talked about before on other forums here in Calguns, but being that it's a western style SciFi I'm loving all the C&R eye candy. Not to mention the humor is right up my ally. Also, an old HS friend, David Taylor, is on an episode so I'm playing a bit of "Where's Waldo" looking for him. Anyone else spot the "Fed's" wearing reused Startship Troopers battle gear?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Sure did. Also had a lot of fun trying to determine just exactly what firearm was under the gingerbread in a lot of cases!

Sampachi
02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I've heard that there is a T-94 Nambu in the movie, but never saw it. Probably covered up by a ton of plastic.

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Sure did. Also had a lot of fun trying to determine just exactly what firearm was under the gingerbread in a lot of cases!

Yeah. I'm on episode 4 so far. What I've seen thus far that I recognize:

E1:
H&K G36 during opening battle scene.

E2:
Winchester 1894/Marlin 336

E3:
Wildey

E4:
AK47

Here's a pretty good starter list from imdb:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly

BigStiCK
02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
One of my favorite series- own it & the movie on DVD. The "Making of" section of the movie with the bloopers is HILARIOUS!

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 1:03 PM
I have to say the crazy girl is getting on my nerves a bit.

rplusplus
02-10-2012, 1:06 PM
Firefly and the Movie Serenity are in my collection and are must haves for Sci-Fi fans. I actually think they did it a great service by only having one season... No jumping the shark for those guys.

OMGofWar
02-10-2012, 1:52 PM
Firefly and the Movie Serenity are in my collection and are must haves for Sci-Fi fans. I actually think they did it a great service by only having one season... No jumping the shark for those guys.

x2. 'Serenity' was a really bittersweet for all of us fans out there. it was nice that they let us have a film to bookend everything, but a real shame that it left you wanting more. at least they went out in style.

rplusplus
02-10-2012, 1:55 PM
I would love a Serenity Sequel... Just Mal, Zoe, Inara, Jayne, and Kaylee off on more adventures without the brat pack (River and Simon).

diggersdarling
02-10-2012, 2:04 PM
I have to say the crazy girl is getting on my nerves a bit.

Which one? I think I love them all....

ltlooper
02-10-2012, 2:07 PM
Loved all the cursing in Mandarin!

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 2:13 PM
Which one? I think I love them all....
River. I agree with calling them the "brat pack".
Loved all the cursing in Mandarin!
No kidding. A literal FU in another language to the sensors. Is there a way to know what they're saying? Wish we were able to learn more about Book's past.

JaMail
02-10-2012, 2:26 PM
summer glau is really good at playing nut job sci fi chicks.

Turo
02-10-2012, 3:55 PM
For the guns of any movie or TV show, check out imfdb.com. I use it all the time.

LoneWolf1
02-10-2012, 4:24 PM
Wish we were able to learn more about Book's past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd_Book

His background is explored further in the comic book Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale. Book was born Henry Evans, a boy who was raised by an abusive father. He ran away from home and began life as a petty criminal before being recruited by the Independence movement and moving out to the Border Worlds. Long before the Alliance begins the Unification War, forward-thinking Browncoats assign Evans to be a long-term mole. He sheds his old identity by killing a random passerby and stealing his identification card, becoming Derrial Book. His Browncoat superiors keep tabs on him by surgically removing one of his eyes and replacing it with an artificial camera. He joins the Alliance military and quickly moves up in rank. Becoming an officer, Book intentionally leads a risky operation that results in a humiliating defeat for the Alliance. He is forced to retire from the Alliance military. It is implied that the Alliance covers up the loss, therefore not officially punishing Book. Homeless, he visits a soup kitchen and finds God while contemplating a bowl of soup. He takes refuge at an abbey where he becomes a shepherd before leaving on the Serenity to become a missionary.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-10-2012, 4:34 PM
Ok, the type 94 is in the bank robbery scene in the movie Serenity. It is the one that Zoe makes the guy throw away. The Central Planets agent in the first episode also has a Astra Model 400. They used lots of oddball guns throghout the whole series. And Simon and River kind of grow on you. Especially in Serenity.

-Mb

rplusplus
02-10-2012, 4:40 PM
...They used lots of oddball guns throghout the whole series.

Yep and I think they hit it right on as the sort of weapons mercs who had to get whatever they could get would be using while the Alliance had some pretty tight albeit sterile looking futuristic pieces.

And Simon and River kind of grow on you. Especially in Serenity.

-Mb

For me not Simon, he never developed as a character and River only in that... OMG I hope she's legal kind of way... (Does the mental math on the DVD jacker 1981 - 2005... whew 24 at filming Safe... :eek: )

Just my opinon among many. =]

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 4:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd_Book

His background is explored further in the comic book Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale. Book was born Henry Evans, a boy who was raised by an abusive father. He ran away from home and began life as a petty criminal before being recruited by the Independence movement and moving out to the Border Worlds. Long before the Alliance begins the Unification War, forward-thinking Browncoats assign Evans to be a long-term mole. He sheds his old identity by killing a random passerby and stealing his identification card, becoming Derrial Book. His Browncoat superiors keep tabs on him by surgically removing one of his eyes and replacing it with an artificial camera. He joins the Alliance military and quickly moves up in rank. Becoming an officer, Book intentionally leads a risky operation that results in a humiliating defeat for the Alliance. He is forced to retire from the Alliance military. It is implied that the Alliance covers up the loss, therefore not officially punishing Book. Homeless, he visits a soup kitchen and finds God while contemplating a bowl of soup. He takes refuge at an abbey where he becomes a shepherd before leaving on the Serenity to become a missionary.

It all makes sense now. I can imagine many viewers were left wondering why the Alliance treated him after his gun shot wound from episode 4.

smird
02-10-2012, 4:46 PM
It all makes sense now. I can imagine many viewers were left wondering why the Alliance treated him after his gun shot wound from episode 4.

It's all about the soup.

jigenax
02-10-2012, 6:27 PM
American Rifleman had an article on Captain Mal's piece. It's a Taurus M85 revolver encased in a bronze skin. Can't recall which issue but once I find it, I'll post.

Ok, can't find that particular issue but I did find a cool online Wiki entry on many firearms used on Firefly.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 9:04 PM
Okay, speaking of guns why the hell didn't anyone tell me Christina Hendricks was in this?

Peter.Steele
02-10-2012, 9:16 PM
Okay, speaking of guns why the hell didn't anyone tell me Christina Hendricks was in this?

Because there's a special hell for people who give out spoilers.

A special hell.

TheExpertish
02-10-2012, 9:26 PM

A special hell.

Bwwwaaahaha. So awesome.

diggersdarling
02-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Now you know why I love all the women in Firefly.

ltlooper
02-11-2012, 2:29 PM
Would not have minded seeing Kaylee in a bathing suit :D

dirtyJ
02-11-2012, 3:13 PM
Easily one of my favorite TV shows and movie of all time, all time yo. Seamless interweaving of super advanced space technology with old time western fun, a great cast, awesome writing, and lots of cool guns.

Turo
02-11-2012, 3:27 PM
Would not have minded seeing Kaylee in a bathing suit :D

The best I could do on such short notice:
http://physicsgeek.mu.nu/archives/jewel_staite_01.jpg

TheExpertish
02-11-2012, 3:51 PM
I like Kaylee with more chunk on her. Those eyes and cheeks....

Shotgun Willie
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the 'Verse, friend!
f7idn3PcKBM

Spiggy
02-15-2012, 10:54 PM
x2. 'Serenity' was a really bittersweet for all of us fans out there. it was nice that they let us have a film to bookend everything, but a real shame that it left you wanting more. at least they went out in style.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6shespdR1r663ego1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329461604&Signature=Dpzi%2FqwaDNpMUapv%2FbIgjhp%2B%2BXE%3D
Kaylee is more attractive covered in soot in the engine room.

:D it's a Tech-Nerd thing....

Cokebottle
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM

I would love a Serenity Sequel... Just Mal, Zoe, Inara, Jayne, and Kaylee off on more adventures without the brat pack (River and Simon).
They certainly left room for a sequel.
"What was that????"

Not QUITE as obvious as Kirk's heading command at the end of the first ST movie "That way"

TheExpertish
02-16-2012, 1:35 PM
Just got done watching a few more episodes today. Loved in "War Stories" hearing Book's reference to "54R". I know they were probably Dragunov's or something being used by Niska's men.

SAR_boats
02-16-2012, 2:26 PM

A special hell.

You owe me a new keyboard. lol

TheExpertish
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Okay, so I just got done watching the series. Time for Serenity. I still would like to put a boot up the REMOVED who cancelled this show.

Pinto
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Here's the Chinese on Firefly/Serenity translated - by episode -

http://fireflychinese.kevinsullivansite.net/story.html

Kestryll
02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I still would like to put a boot up the REMOVED who cancelled this show.

Cute.

This ain't Firefly and cursing in any language will get you kicked to the curb.

TheExpertish
02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Cute.

This ain't Firefly and cursing in any language will get you kicked to the curb.

Oh, hey boss. Do you have cursedar or something?

Kodachrome
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Been watching Firefly when it was on TV and every month I'll watch some or the whole series again. There is alot more to the story in comic and GN form.
The Sig 220 Sport w/compensator in E1 and a bunch of guns Jayne has in
"Heart of Gold". It has been a cult favorite more so I think after the show was cancelled.
One of my top ten movies/series.

TheExpertish
02-22-2012, 9:14 AM
Well I have to say that Serenity had let me down a bit. River did deliver and became more kick butt and less of a nuisance. However, I am irritated they killed off Book and Wash just because the actors wouldn't commit to squeals. And here it is 7 years later and NO SEQUELS. WTF? The movie also lacked the overall feel of the story.

The whole movie was shot in a very dark tone and not many of the guns were as visible as I'd like. Of course Jayne's guns were my favorite. I liked his HK91/G3 with the scope.

Solid Foundation
02-22-2012, 9:38 AM
Oh, hey boss. Do you have cursedar or something?

It's obvious, isn't it?
He's a fan too!

:rockon:

Wodsworthy
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Well I have to say that Serenity had let me down a bit. River did deliver and became more kick butt and less of a nuisance. However, I am irritated they killed off Book and Wash just because the actors wouldn't commit to squeals. And here it is 7 years later and NO SEQUELS. WTF? The movie also lacked the overall feel of the story.

The whole movie was shot in a very dark tone and not many of the guns were as visible as I'd like. Of course Jayne's guns were my favorite. I liked his HK91/G3 with the scope.

I don't know if that that's the reason why they killed off Book and Wash. From what I heard Joss didn't think the movie would be believable without any deaths, that's why they stuffed those 2 in the freezer if it were.

I don't think a sequel would be a good idea at all. The story is already done. I love firefly to death, and I hate Fox for messing up the show, and among other things other network decisions they have made, /cough cancelling Arrested Development, Futurama, and continuing with Simpsons and Family guy. /cough ... but at least we got a movie out of it. Anything more would just be awful.

I was quite disappointed in the movie props because they were missing Vera. I heard they gave the prop gun out to somebody after the show was over... they should have made another one...

And I can't believe that nobody mentioned Vera earlier... I kind of want to make a replica :D
b-e-HY69Gb0

TheExpertish
02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't know if that that's the reason why they killed off Book and Wash. From what I heard Joss didn't think the movie would be believable without any deaths, that's why they stuffed those 2 in the freezer if it were.

I don't think a sequel would be a good idea at all. The story is already done. I love firefly to death, and I hate Fox for messing up the show, and among other things other network decisions they have made, /cough cancelling Arrested Development, Futurama, and continuing with Simpsons and Family guy. /cough ... but at least we got a movie out of it. Anything more would just be awful.

I was quite disappointed in the movie props because they were missing Vera. I heard they gave the prop gun out to somebody after the show was over... they should have made another one...

And I can't believe that nobody mentioned Vera earlier... I kind of want to make a replica :D
b-e-HY69Gb0

Well, the reasons for killing off Book and Wash I read on imdb, but it's about as accurate as wikipedia. I'm all for building a Vera replica as well. Do you have info on it?

MrCody
02-22-2012, 11:17 PM
The original Vera was a prop built on a Saiga-12:

http://www.fireflyarchive.com/vera/vera.html

A Swedish guy built one based on a Denix AK:

http://www.urbanchant.com/alice_/

A guy on Saiga-12.com was trying to make a kit to build one but not much came of it as far as I can tell.http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/51001-i-call-her-vera/

Here's a neat forum page on Firefly/ Serenity weapons:

http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3541

jigenax
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Vera was designed by Gunsmiths Larry Zanoff and the late Jim Boland for the 2002 movie called "Showtime" starring Eddie Murphy & Robert DeNiro. Here's a link to that one.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Showtime

It has a few good stills with "Vera".

wingnut948
02-23-2012, 7:28 PM
Picked this up on Persephone for 18 credits.

TheExpertish
02-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Picked this up on Persephone for 18 credits.

Okay, do you seriously own a copy of Mal's gun?

wingnut948
02-23-2012, 7:40 PM
Heh, I wish. This was a resin model I bought on eBay a few years back. It came with some pretty decent instructions on how to make it look like metal and wood. Mine is the version from the TV show, but there is a decent replica of the movie prop at QMx:

https://store.qmxonline.com/Malcolm-Reynolds-Metal-Plated-Pistol-Replica_p_160.html

emcon5
02-23-2012, 7:47 PM
Here's a neat forum page on Firefly/ Serenity weapons:

http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3541

That guy is an artist. He also evidently has a lot of free time....

TheExpertish
02-23-2012, 7:51 PM
Oh man, you've opened a can of worms. I've even found Jayne's hat keychains and other stuff on eBay. This won't end well...

TheExpertish
02-23-2012, 7:56 PM
That guy is an artist. He also evidently has a lot of free time....

wow...:eek:

My guess is girls aren't a factor in this guys life. Impressive work none the less.

tujungatoes
02-23-2012, 8:43 PM
I'm sad I missed the beginning of this thread. I LOVE firefly/serenity.

...never realized Vera was an S12. I may have to turn in my AK-TEAM credentials.

tujungatoes
02-23-2012, 8:44 PM
I'm sad I missed the beginning of this thread. I LOVE firefly/serenity.

...never realized Vera was an S12. I may have to turn in my AK-TEAM credentials.

Shotgun Willie
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
There are also uniforms of the Holnists (8) from the movie the Postman.

Shotgun Willie
02-23-2012, 11:36 PM

Uhhhh... Maybe it's because she's not a gun...?

Wodsworthy
02-24-2012, 8:25 AM

Yeah I totally didn't notice her the first time I saw the series, but after watching Mad Men I WAS TOTALLY OH **** CHRISTINA HENDRIX

TheExpertish
02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

She may not be a gun, but in the series she was deadly and smoking hot. Almost as good as a weapon, but more of a pain in the *** in the long run. Still can't believe she married the "snozberries" guy from Super Troopers. Well, at least score 1 for the nerds.

Tack
02-24-2012, 4:37 PM
OK, you gun nerds, this has always bothered me. In the episode "Our Mrs Reynolds", Jane says his rifle need to have an atmosphere around it to operate. That sounds like BS to me. I assume the propellant gas would fill the gas tube and operate the bolt.

Your opinions?

tujungatoes
02-24-2012, 6:51 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say the vacum of space would suck the oxygen out of the cartridges and rupture them or prevent the powder from burning.

Sounds good to me...iduno....:shrug:

Wodsworthy
02-24-2012, 8:31 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say the vacum of space would suck the oxygen out of the cartridges and rupture them or prevent the powder from burning.

Sounds good to me...iduno....:shrug:

Yeah I thought of that too, but its a TV show so I wasn't really bothered.

"See, Vera? dress yourself up and you get taken out somewhere fun"

One of my favorite quotes :D