PDA

View Full Version : Whats hitting out in Oceanside or Dana?

Rob454
03-28-2007, 5:35 PM
Im thinking of taking my boat out this weekend. Anyone know whats hitting. We went 4 weeks ago out of Long beach and got a whole lot of nothing. The bait guy was out of bait
Rob

magmaster
03-28-2007, 7:37 PM
The water rolled big time after the weather yesterday. Water temp dropped 4 degrees :eek: I'm sure the boilers will be holding Calico's and some showing in the kelp here and there. Not too much else besides shallow rock fish and some bass.

Rob454
03-29-2007, 6:56 PM
Sweet. Im itching so bad to go I may jsut go to throw a line in the water.
Rob

Fjold
03-29-2007, 7:06 PM
Check at Bloodydecks.com, senortuna.com and allcoastsportfishing.com, they're all California ocean fishing boards.

tankerman
03-29-2007, 8:40 PM
Check at Bloodydecks.com, senortuna.com and allcoastsportfishing.com, they're all California ocean fishing boards.

I would suggest staying away from those sites. Around here the members pretty much police each other when incorrect advice is given, on those boards every donkey that has ever caught a fish is giving out advice on stuff they know nothing about. I have also seen people blatantly lie about Captains, crews and boats if they did not catch a limit when they go fishing. I personally know of drunken idiots that fish the San Diego and get kicked off boats for swearing in front of children and starting fights, going on those boards and try to give hardworking crews a bad name. I gave up on those boards long ago.
Hardcore fishermen don't share their secrets on those sites, there are a lot of pretenders. You would be better served by calling the Landing or checking out the dock when the boats come in for the day.

Fjold
03-29-2007, 9:09 PM
No worse than drunken idiots who claim they were beat up at the range, threatened with arrest and hassled by the rangemaster and it proves that they were lying.

I've known shooters who were drunk and kicked off of rifle ranges, and some of them actually swear in front of children also. What does that prove? There are morons and idiots in every sport all you have to do is count the number of road signs with bullet holes in them out in the country. Take a look at every BLM shooting range and notice how many slob shooters there are by the mess that they leave.

As bad as some people are on those boards, I've also seen where people have come on those boards and proven that captains have inflated fish counts in the landing reports. I've seen reports of outstanding boats and crews and reports of horrible Captains and crews. And I've posted on both. I've seen captains and crews that I would trust with my children's lives (and have) and I've seen captains and crew arrested for everything from poaching, to drugs, to ADW. They aren't all saints

There are "experts" all over the gun boards who don't know enough to poor P*** out of a boot. You want to see liars, count how many people tell you that their $100 surplus rifle shoots less than an inch "all the time".

There aren't a lot of people looking for "secrets" they are looking for posts about where fish are being caught, what baits are working, etc.

taloft
03-29-2007, 9:34 PM
Here's the weekly saltwater report from the S.D. Union Tribune:

UNION-TRIBUNE
March 27, 2007

Pt. Loma Sportfishing, H&M Landing, Fisherman's Landing: 11 anglers, one three-quarter-day boat: 4 calico bass, 5 bonito, 31 rockfish, 55 bocaccio. 41 anglers, three half-day boats: 11 sand bass, 23 sculpin, 84 rockfish, 1 whitefish, 1 calico bass.

Seaforth: 31 anglers, one twilight boat: 99 giant squid. 10 anglers, one three-quarter-day boat: 4 bonito, 1 calico bass, 75 rockfish, 15 whitefish, 4 sculpin. 33 anglers, two half-day boats: 24 red rockcod, 72 rockfish, 7 whitefish, 3 sculpin.

Oceanside: 28 anglers, one half-day boat: 26 sand bass, 4 calico bass, 62 sculpin, 10 rockfish.

Offshore: Albacore were caught yesterday at the 1010 Trench, 58 miles from San Diego. The report, given by Rob Leterneau of Ballyhood Lures, indicated three longfins were caught by private boaters trolling in that area. No fish were caught on bait. Meantime, Capt. Chuck Taft has put a 1-day trip on line for his Sea Adventure 80 from H&M Landing, leaving Friday night and returning Sunday morning. Call (619) 222-1144.

Bay Fishing: Capt. John Grim of the Salty Doc reported good fishing in San Diego Bay for fly-fishing clients last week. Larry and Paul Wayne, James Vickers and Dino Richardson, caught and released a mix of 55 spotted bay bass and sand bass along with 4 yellowfin croaker, 2 bonefish and 1 bonito. Grim said all were first-time fly fishers.

East Cape: Improved bite on striped marlin and dorado (to 37 pounds), with a mix of tuna (up to 60 pounds), according to John Ireland of Rancho Leonero Resort. Roosterfish (bigger than usual this time of year), jack crevalle, snapper and cabrilla showing inshore.

tankerman
03-30-2007, 6:00 AM
No worse than drunken idiots who claim they were beat up at the range, threatened with arrest and hassled by the rangemaster and it proves that they were lying.

I've known shooters who were drunk and kicked off of rifle ranges, and some of them actually swear in front of children also. What does that prove? There are morons and idiots in every sport all you have to do is count the number of road signs with bullet holes in them out in the country. Take a look at every BLM shooting range and notice how many slob shooters there are by the mess that they leave.

As bad as some people are on those boards, I've also seen where people have come on those boards and proven that captains have inflated fish counts in the landing reports. I've seen reports of outstanding boats and crews and reports of horrible Captains and crews. And I've posted on both. I've seen captains and crews that I would trust with my children's lives (and have) and I've seen captains and crew arrested for everything from poaching, to drugs, to ADW. They aren't all saints

There are "experts" all over the gun boards who don't know enough to poor P*** out of a boot. You want to see liars, count how many people tell you that their $100 surplus rifle shoots less than an inch "all the time".

There aren't a lot of people looking for "secrets" they are looking for posts about where fish are being caught, what baits are working, etc.

I don't think that all crews are saints. And asking what it biting where and on what, is better done by calling the Landings or going down to the boats and asking the folks getting off.
There are more idiots on the fishing boards and boats(alcohol is involved much more frequently than at the range). There is a reason that telling a fishing story is considered more as fiction than fact. I wasn't intending to hurt your feelings because you post on those other boards.
I personally witnessed a Captain that I worked for, post on Bloody D-cks in defense of himself after lies were posted. He refuted the claims in a factual manner and was banned because the person telling the lies was part of a "click". I have also seen negative posts about an advertiser's boat mysteriously disappear, even after the claims had been support by numerous people. Boards that allow things like that to happen lack credibility in my book. This is my opinion.