PDA

View Full Version : LEO's & Non Compliant Guns?

Chriso83
02-09-2012, 9:30 PM
Hello,

I understand that a LEO can own guns that common CA citizen do not have access to. If I understand correctly, is it true, the LEO, if they so desire, after following all CADOJ procedures to transfer the gun, can sell it or give it away to non LEO's and the new owner will be able to own the gun legally?

I recognize that depending on the gun and how extreme it is compared to CA law, some guns may attract attention more than others. Taking this into account, and if the above is true, what issue might the new owner encounter if a LEO or other people recognize the gun is not CA legal? The example I would use is a 9mm XDm with a 19 rnd mag being used at the range or during a shooting competition.

Thanks for your wisdom and experience, :oji:

ChrisO

Librarian
02-09-2012, 9:44 PM
The distinction is not 'legal' but rather 'is the gun on the Roster?'

Non-Roster guns are perfectly legal to own and use, and to sell or buy PPT, and to move into the state.

However, A LEO may NOT sell or give to a buyer a 'large-capacity magazine' unless disassembled.

Such a disassembled bag of parts may not be RE-assembled inside California except if it is blocked to 10 rounds.

CHS
02-09-2012, 9:53 PM
The example I would use is a 9mm XDm

Legal.

with a 19 rnd mag being used at the range or during a shooting competition.

It is a felony for a LEO to give you a 19rd mag.

1stGenRex
02-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Here's some info on Magazines I just came across.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Librarian
02-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Here's some info on Magazines I just came across.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Gosh, I hope so - I keep a link to that in my .sig, hoping people will read it...

1stGenRex
02-10-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm new here, but not new to forums at all. I always try to read stickied threads because 9/10 times, they contain good info...except here it's 10/10 because they contains stuff that can keep you out of jail ;)