PDA

View Full Version : Letter from the LA Sherriff's Department.. found gun

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 5:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, if no please move :)

Wasn't expecting this in the mail today. I recieved a letter from the LA Sheriff's Department about a gun they have that's registered to me.

Puzzling is that I'm not missing any guns. But, in my many years I've owned dozens that were sold and before 1991 they were just sold (not like the PPT deal today).

Also, after my first marriage some left with her.

So what is waiting for me and how the heck did the Sheriff's get it.. turn in program? I would think it wasn't used in a crime and it must be a handgun since they wouldn't be able to trace a rifle back to me.

Could be something I sold back at the Crossroads show in Pomona.. maybe it's my old 6" blue Python.. lol

Or it's a trap.. then again they could just drive to my house.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'm going to call the Detective tomorrow and ask for the story. It's funny, the letter references an attached form, but there wasn't one in the envelope so I guess I have to download.

So what's waiting for me? Could be anything from the aformentioned Python, to a Inox 92FS to a Sigma and any number of Rugers.

Here's the letter:
Mr. XX

This letter has been sent in response to the fact that we are in possession of a firearm that is registered to you. If you wish to recover this piece of property please notify the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Station, Operation Safe Streets Bureau. You will need to complete and mail back the attached letter from the Department of Justice Law Enforcement Gun Release Application within thirty (30) days of the date on this letter. The application may also be downloaded off the internet at:
http:ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/legr.pdf
Once the application is completed and mailed, the Department of Justice will send you a certificate of acceptance of this firearm. After receiving this certificate, notify the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Station, Operation Safe Streets Bureau to make arrangements to have you item returned

If we do NOT hear from you within this period of time, the firearm will be destroyed.

Detective Judge of Detective XXX may be reached at xxx Monday through Friday.. blah blah blah

Respectfully Submitted,

Leroy D. Baca, Sheriff
Robert M. Rifkin, Captain

IGOTDIRT4U
02-09-2012, 5:56 PM
Sounds like it was gun buyback/turn in, from someone who probably bought it from your ex. I would contact them. No alarms going off here.

bigcalidave
02-09-2012, 5:59 PM
Umm, that's a free gun. Why are you questioning it. You'll just have to do an LEGR and you can have it! Let them know you are turning in the form asap so they don't destroy it.

Always take free things!

REH
02-09-2012, 6:00 PM
Should be OK. They may have found it on a bad guy. LEO is required to find the owner. Before 1991 a form of the DROS was in place and all the gun info was sent to DOJ along with the buyer.

Ubermcoupe
02-09-2012, 6:08 PM
If its a Python you better go get it... I’ll give you $100 for it :shifty:

chiselchst
02-09-2012, 6:11 PM
If it was a gun buy back program or turn in (to get guns off the street), why wouldn't they just destroy it?

pacifico23
02-09-2012, 6:14 PM
If its the python.... Ill buy it for 200 bucks from ya? Ill even pay for the transfer and the gas it would take to get there...

This sounds like great news. Its almost like a suprise gift. I would try to get it asap.

Bill Carson
02-09-2012, 6:15 PM
Operation Safe Streets is their gang unit, sounds like it was taken off of a gangbanger.

Gray Peterson
02-09-2012, 6:16 PM
Do a LEGR and get the gun.

Chaos47
02-09-2012, 6:20 PM
Wow that's awesome. I can't wait to hear what you get back!

IGOTDIRT4U
02-09-2012, 6:21 PM
If its a Python you better go get it... Ill give you $100 for it :shifty:

I'll give him $500.00!!!

IGOTDIRT4U
02-09-2012, 6:21 PM
If it was a gun buy back program or turn in (to get guns off the street), why wouldn't they just destroy it?

They have to try to contact the legal owner if it wasn't used in a crime.

Ubermcoupe
02-09-2012, 6:26 PM
If its the python.... Ill buy it for 200 bucks from ya? Ill even pay for the transfer and the gas it would take to get there...

I'll give him $500.00!!!

O yea??? Im going to secretly PM him above whatever yall posted and secret snipe this deal...

All kidding aside, go get it Steve. What do you got to loose? Just remember to post pics when you get it back :)

ChessRatz
02-09-2012, 6:38 PM
Funny, I just got the same letter from LAPD yesterday. Called them to get the serial number for LEGR paperwork and it turns out they recovered my Sig P230. Woohoo! It was stolen along with a P226 back in 2005.

I wouldn't hesitate to call and get that LEGR form turned in. It's like Christmas in February.

Ron-Solo
02-09-2012, 6:43 PM
Operation Safe Streets is the gang unit, so it was probably taken in an arrest, or warrant service.

If it was turned in during a buy back, it would be going to the shredder and become rebar.

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 6:44 PM
O yea??? Im going to secretly PM him above whatever ya’ll posted and secret snipe this deal...

All kidding aside, go get it Steve. What do you got to loose? Just remember to post pics when you get it back :)

lol.. $501 really wasn't a good offer.. ;)

The curiosity is killing me.. Most of these were from B&B Guns.. Contenders are:

Glock 17 Gen 1
GLock 19 Gen 1
Colt Python
Ruger SP101
Ruger Blackhawk
92FS Inox
S&W Sigma

With my luck it'll be the Sigma.. lol..

Sending off the papers tomorrow.. and calling the Detective..

I will report back when I find out something.. hey, since it's registered to me do also get any standard capacity mags if they were with it? Oh, I just got greedy there for a moment. lol

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 6:52 PM
Umm, that's a free gun. Why are you questioning it. You'll just have to do an LEGR and you can have it! Let them know you are turning in the form asap so they don't destroy it.

Always take free things!

So, I can't fill out the LEGR until I know what the gun is, right? At least I can't fill out that section.

I wouldn't leave it blank would I?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/legr.pdf

jonc
02-09-2012, 6:54 PM
Good luck with that....

Dreaded Claymore
02-09-2012, 7:09 PM
DO IT. Even if it's a trap, you win: you can be the plaintiff in a new CGF suit, and win back more of our rights. :jump:

brownfeathermedic
02-09-2012, 7:12 PM
I wish I'd get a letter saying they found my Ruger Stainless Security Six . I'd be in Hog heaven'.

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 7:23 PM
Guess I'm a pack rat.. I found reciepts for the two Glocks and the Sigma, one was from B&E guns (Cypress).. forgot they even existed.. at least I have those serial numbers.

If I call will the detective tell me what they have or is some sort of secret?

Oh, in case you're curios.. a Glock 17 with adj sights was $399 in 1988.. the registration fee was only $4.. wow, those were the days

In 1989 a G19 was $380 and the reg fee was $5.. lol

Sigmas were VERY expensive when they first came out.. man, did I OVERPAY!

Paul S
02-09-2012, 7:50 PM
So, I can't fill out the LEGR until I know what the gun is, right? At least I can't fill out that section.

I wouldn't leave it blank would I?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/legr.pdf

NO...but make the telephone call. The detective surely will be able to provide the make-model and serial #. Since you must have the LEGR form approved b y DOJ I don't see why he wouldn't share that info. Sure can't hurt to ask. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be that Python

Lagduf
02-09-2012, 8:18 PM
So if you are not missing a gun I'm confused how taking possession of a firearm you owned at some point in time but then legally disposed of is legal?

Don't get me wrong, whatever the gun is I'd hate hate hate for it to be destroyed - but surely lying about this being yours (when it's not yours - if you legally disposed of it) could lead you down a bad path.

Ron-Solo
02-09-2012, 8:22 PM
lol.. $501 really wasn't a good offer.. ;)

The curiosity is killing me.. Most of these were from B&B Guns.. Contenders are:

Glock 17 Gen 1
GLock 19 Gen 1
Colt Python
Ruger SP101
Ruger Blackhawk
92FS Inox
S&W Sigma

With my luck it'll be the Sigma.. lol..

Sending off the papers tomorrow.. and calling the Detective..

I will report back when I find out something.. hey, since it's registered to me do also get any standard capacity mags if they were with it? Oh, I just got greedy there for a moment. lol

If you have papers showing you owned them before 2000, I'd say yes. Good chance the subject won't even come up. Most cops don't really believe in the hicap ban, and a lot don't even know about it.

They will probably want to know how it came to be no longer in your possession, and their case may be based on that issue, so you need to figure out what you are going to say. We're you the victim of a burglary and didn't have the serial numbers? Did you sell them? Lose one on a shooting trip? They may be holding someone on a "suspicion of" receiving stolen property case where thy have been looking for the victim.

Heck, until I started reading CalGuns, I didn't know an out of state resident with a CCW from his home state wasn't valid in California. I stopped many people over the years from out of state that were armed. As soon as they said they had a CCW, that was good enough for me, unless they were doing something else really stooopid..."

tpuig
02-09-2012, 8:36 PM
If you really can't remember what happened to the gun, if would be a shame for it to be destroyed....

russ69
02-09-2012, 8:44 PM
How is it your property?

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 9:44 PM
So if you are not missing a gun I'm confused how taking possession of a firearm you owned at some point in time but then legally disposed of is legal?

Don't get me wrong, whatever the gun is I'd hate hate hate for it to be destroyed - but surely lying about this being yours (when it's not yours - if you legally disposed of it) could lead you down a bad path.

Prior to 91 you didn't have to do the whole PPT deal when selling a gun.. I guess the guy I sold to didn't change the registration and it must of been stolen from him and ended up on the street. So, as far as the law is concerned it's still mine.

Some were "taken" by my ex-wife.. who knows where they went from there.

I sold the Python to a gun shop.. a cop I think, so while it would be nice I doubt it's the Colt.

I will let you know when I know more.. If you read the letter it never says "we are in possesion of a firearm OWNED by you"... just says registered to you.. in any event it would be a shame to see it turned into slag.

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 9:49 PM
If you have papers showing you owned them before 2000, I'd say yes. Good chance the subject won't even come up. Most cops don't really believe in the hicap ban, and a lot don't even know about it.

They will probably want to know how it came to be no longer in your possession, and their case may be based on that issue, so you need to figure out what you are going to say. We're you the victim of a burglary and didn't have the serial numbers? Did you sell them? Lose one on a shooting trip? They may be holding someone on a "suspicion of" receiving stolen property case where thy have been looking for the victim.

Heck, until I started reading CalGuns, I didn't know an out of state resident with a CCW from his home state wasn't valid in California. I stopped many people over the years from out of state that were armed. As soon as they said they had a CCW, that was good enough for me, unless they were doing something else really stooopid..."

All the guns I had after 91 were transfered per CA law..so it must be one from before that.

I'm certainly not going to make up some story.. and I really won't know until I talk with the detective and find out which gun it is. I have the original reciepts for most of them. I might even have "bills of sale" on file for who I sold them to, although by law I didn't need one. Like I said, it depends on what gun it is. :)

Steve1968LS2
02-09-2012, 9:52 PM
How is it your property?

And I want to argue with you about this because?

I got a letter.. if I talk with the detective and he determins that by law I can collect the gun then I will.. if not then I don't really care.. God knows what kind of shape it's in..

QQQ
02-10-2012, 6:48 AM
Well you could say that this is a silver lining on the big dark cloud of handgun registration.

Lives_In_Fresno
02-10-2012, 7:02 AM
They have to try to contact the legal owner if it wasn't used in a crime.

Keep in mind that who they think the legal owner is and who you are might be different...

The honest thing would be to find out which gun it is, and try to point them in the right direction.

lbdrummer3
02-10-2012, 7:03 AM
In 1989 you couldn't sell a WWII 1911 for anymore more than 300 bucks... :facepalm:

Good luck on your Lassie

Guess I'm a pack rat.. I found reciepts for the two Glocks and the Sigma, one was from B&E guns (Cypress).. forgot they even existed.. at least I have those serial numbers.

If I call will the detective tell me what they have or is some sort of secret?

Oh, in case you're curios.. a Glock 17 with adj sights was $399 in 1988.. the registration fee was only $4.. wow, those were the days

In 1989 a G19 was $380 and the reg fee was $5.. lol

Sigmas were VERY expensive when they first came out.. man, did I OVERPAY!

wash
02-10-2012, 7:36 AM
If he doesn't claim the gun it gets destroyed. The right thing to do is claim the gun and if you can figure out who the last legal owner was, transfer it to them.

bruss01
02-10-2012, 8:13 AM
It could actually be a gun you've never owned.

I've heard of some older guns (S&W I believe, or maybe colt) that had overlapping serial numbers on different series. So the gun gets registered as serial number 60559 as a "S&W revolver, .38 snub" and there could be several different revolvers floating around (different models) with that number and general description.

So you might just pick up a free gun. Odds are if you don't claim it, rather than spend time & money on the legwork to track down the "real" owner, they will just pitch it in the destroy pile. Better it go home with you than get melted down for scrap metal. I'm sure the "real" owner would agree as long as it's going to a good home.

Munk
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
And I want to argue with you about this because?

I got a letter.. if I talk with the detective and he determins that by law I can collect the gun then I will.. if not then I don't really care.. God knows what kind of shape it's in..

If it turns out to be a gun you sold, or that "belongs" to your ex, but was stolen from them; I suggest you reclaim the gun, then restore it to its owner if possible.

I'd rather see this gun treated like Found Property, than be destroyed by the police.

aermotor
02-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Free gun sounds like awesomeness to me. Please let us know what happens!

CWM4A1
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
To file LEGR, you will need the make/model/serial number. So OP will have to call LASD and find out what it is anyway.

Had similar experience as OP except it was stolen and I filed report with Fullerton PD (SIG P228 and Kimber Pro Carry). Anaheim PD recovered the SIG few months later. After the guy pleaded guilty and sentence to jail I inquire Anaheim PD about recovering my gun (more than 10yrs ago), they give me the run-around. I had to contact DA and court and they kept refer it back to each other so I finally gave up, since the gun has a lot of mileage (20K rounds) and didn't worth much anyway. 10yrs later Fullerton PD sent me the same letter and I have to call and find out the serial number as I lost it already. After filing LEGR (took about 45 days before it showed-up), I call FPD to arrange appointment to pick up, turn around and sold it for a few hundred bucks (ammo money). I am still waiting for the Kimber to turn-up somewhere...

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2012, 5:49 PM
If it turns out to be a gun you sold, or that "belongs" to your ex, but was stolen from them; I suggest you reclaim the gun, then restore it to its owner if possible.

I'd rather see this gun treated like Found Property, than be destroyed by the police.

I would MAYBE be able to find ex.. I have very few records of who I sold guns to over 20 years ago. Personally it's most likely beat to crap.. but if I could find who owned it I would happily return it provided it was stolen and they are lawful to own a gun.

The "let it be shredded" is really the only non-starter option.

Then again, maybe they sold it to someone.. no way to know how many hands it went though.. besides, I'm not impressed that they let it get stolen or sold it to a criminal (if that's the case)

Anyways, the Detectives were off today, I was advised to call back Monday.. :)

russ69
02-10-2012, 6:25 PM
And I want to argue with you about this because?...

You said that you sold some of your guns or they belong to your ex-wife and you are not missing any guns. So any gun that is found is not your property anymore. Just because it's still registered in your name doesn't make it yours.
Let's pretend that the gun murdered somebody and they are looking for a suspect, do you want to claim unbroken ownership now? This is not a difficult issue. the gun belongs to you, or it doesn't belong to you because ownership passed it on to somebody else. So once again, how does it belong to you?

P.S. The cops might be interested in that answer also.

Socom16Fan
02-10-2012, 6:50 PM
You said that you sold some of your guns or they belong to your ex-wife and you are not missing any guns. So any gun that is found is not your property anymore. Just because it's still registered in your name doesn't make it yours.
Let's pretend that the gun murdered somebody and they are looking for a suspect, do you want to claim unbroken ownership now? This is not a difficult issue. the gun belongs to you, or it doesn't belong to you because ownership passed it on to somebody else. So once again, how does it belong to you?

:troll: yes...let's all pretend... yeah... :troll:

SWalt
02-10-2012, 6:51 PM
The sad part is......

From reading your posts it sounds like you are a completely responsible gun owner BUT 1 letter for LE and it makes you wonder if it some trick to try and catch you on something. That type of fear shouldn't even be in the equation but it is because we all know if you didn't cross a t or dot an i, you can be in a world of hurt. If is a trick, they won't necessarily come to your door either. Why not have you just deliver yourself? Remember those...."you are a recipient of a new x box in our give away, just come to x on saturday to claim your prize" stings? They like to make things easy. But I bet its legit since you owned and sold so many guys over the years. It would be nice to know the outcome.

Plus, would it hurt to type 20 more words and give you a description of the gun and how it come into their possession? "Your 6" Colt Python, serial # 153216, was evidence in a case that has been adjudicated" or something along those lines.

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2012, 9:55 PM

LOL.. ok Columbo.. thanks for the legal advice..

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2012, 9:56 PM
:troll: yes...let's all pretend... yeah... :troll:

But what if the gun is really haunted and has put a curse on the Police station.. like on the Brady Bunch with the lava statue.. now the cops are just trying to get someone to take it so the curse will be transfered..

Hey, it's plausable!

Steve1968LS2
02-10-2012, 9:59 PM
The sad part is......

From reading your posts it sounds like you are a completely responsible gun owner BUT 1 letter for LE and it makes you wonder if it some trick to try and catch you on something. That type of fear shouldn't even be in the equation but it is because we all know if you didn't cross a t or dot an i, you can be in a world of hurt. If is a trick, they won't necessarily come to your door either. Why not have you just deliver yourself? Remember those...."you are a recipient of a new x box in our give away, just come to x on saturday to claim your prize" stings? They like to make things easy. But I bet its legit since you owned and sold so many guys over the years. It would be nice to know the outcome.

Plus, would it hurt to type 20 more words and give you a description of the gun and how it come into their possession? "Your 6" Colt Python, serial # 153216, was evidence in a case that has been adjudicated" or something along those lines.

Well, I was pretty much kidding about the "trap".. after all, they have my address so they could just come and hook me up easily if I had done something..

BUT, seeing a letter for the LASD in your mailbox always makes you think "what did I do?".. sorta like getting called into the principals office or into your boss' office.

Yea, would have been nice to at least get the basic "Glock 17" description.. Oh well, hopefull I can catch the detective on Monday and find out the scoop.

Until then it's just guessin' and speculatin'..

Tarn_Helm
02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, if no please move :)

Wasn't expecting this in the mail today. I recieved a letter from the LA Sheriff's Department about a gun they have that's registered to me.

Puzzling is that I'm not missing any guns. But, in my many years I've owned dozens that were sold and before 1991 they were just sold (not like the PPT deal today).

Also, after my first marriage some left with her.

So what is waiting for me and how the heck did the Sheriff's get it.. turn in program? I would think it wasn't used in a crime and it must be a handgun since they wouldn't be able to trace a rifle back to me.

Could be something I sold back at the Crossroads show in Pomona.. maybe it's my old 6" blue Python.. lol

Or it's a trap.. then again they could just drive to my house.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'm going to call the Detective tomorrow and ask for the story. It's funny, the letter references an attached form, but there wasn't one in the envelope so I guess I have to download.

So what's waiting for me? Could be anything from the aformentioned Python, to a Inox 92FS to a Sigma and any number of Rugers.

Here's the letter:

Do not show up without a lawyer.

Someone could have set you up with a malicious, anonymous tip: "This guy is dangerous--has a house full of guns."

If they were out to get you, the perfect way to do it would be to do exactly what they are doing:

1] Separate you from your house and your guns,
2] cuff you when you arrive,
3] contact SWAT and enter your house
4] take every weapon in it out of it.
5] put you in jail on the basis of hearsay (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=534064).

cannon
02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Someone could have set you up with a malicious, anonymous tip: "This guy is dangerous--has a house full of guns."

If they were out to get you, the perfect way to do it would be to do exactly what they are doing:

5] put you in jail on the basis of hearsay (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=534064).

Glass half empty kinda guy?

russ69
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM
LOL.. ok Columbo.. thanks for the legal advice..

Nice obfuscation but no answer to the question of legal ownership.

Meplat
02-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Always take free things!

Are you sure? I got a free POTUS last time around, didn't even cost me a vote. Now I'd like to give him back!

AndrewMendez
02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Even if it were a setup, you still get one phone call....I am sure Jason Davis could have you out, before they finished the cavity search.

Jason P
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Dude, get your gun ASAP. If they wanted you, you could be in Gitmo by now...

bigcalidave
02-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Are you kidding me?? What world do you live in?

dg29
02-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Well if one lawyer would be good to show up with, I'd say that the OP should show up with a Bakers Dozen of them just to be safe! Also, the OP should make sure to check the sky above as he's driving to the SD with his 13 lawyers, as they may be following him in their black helicopters!
:rolleyes::TFH:

Meplat
02-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Nice obfuscation but no answer to the question of legal ownership.

The OP has never said anything to indicate he would be anything but honest with the detectives. He has indicated he would be helpful in establishing a chain of possession if he could and if that was a concern for LE. He never said the guns his X ended up with rightfully belonged to her. He has indicated he has no problem returning the gun to the rightful owner if he can identify and contact such. It actually might still be his if the x pulled off something fishy that just was not worth the fight at the time.

There is no reason to cast negative dispersions on the OP. You have stated several times now that you do not think it is his gun. We get it already. It is starting to border on whiny. Might I respectively suggest that you give it a rest?!

marcusrn
02-10-2012, 11:54 PM
The only people who get free lunchs in LA county are the poor children of "undocumented immigrants".

"If someone gives you a gift and you do not accept it, then whose gift is it? It is Sheriff Baca's gift" Lord Buddha circa 350 BC

Bobby Hated
02-11-2012, 3:41 AM
i am so happy with myself for keeping the paperwork for every gun i ever had, even after i sell it.

far as im concerned if it ended up in LE custody, whoever had possession of it didnt deserve to. go get that sucker. good things happen to decent people sometimes.

Bobby Hated
02-11-2012, 3:45 AM
wow takin shots at poor children huh? pretty hardcore bro. go get em shooter! ha ha

The only people who get free lunchs in LA county are the poor children of "undocumented immigrants".

"If someone gives you a gift and you do not accept it, then whose gift is it? It is Sheriff Baca's gift" Lord Buddha circa 350 BC

Tarn_Helm
02-11-2012, 4:52 AM
Glass half empty kinda guy?

The glass is half full.

But it is contaminated with HIV, leprosy, herpes, and who knows what.

Pour it out.

Throw it in the trash.

And drink only what you have boiled and purified.

:rant:

VaderSpade
02-11-2012, 6:29 AM
Aren’t there laws requiring you to report a stolen gun?

If it was sold and not stolen how can it be yours?

Either way I see a slippery slope. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2012, 6:36 AM
Well if one lawyer would be good to show up with, I'd say that the OP should show up with a Bakers Dozen of them just to be safe! Also, the OP should make sure to check the sky above as he's driving to the SD with his 13 lawyers, as they may be following him in their black helicopters!
:rolleyes::TFH:

HOLY CRAP!

I just saw a helicopter near my house.. it wans't black, but it was dark blue?

Are they using camo now????

:facepalm:

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2012, 6:45 AM
The OP has never said anything to indicate he would be anything but honest with the detectives. He has indicated he would be helpful in establishing a chain of possession if he could and if that was a concern for LE. He never said the guns his X ended up with rightfully belonged to her. He has indicated he has no problem returning the gun to the rightful owner if he can identify and contact such. It actually might still be his if the x pulled off something fishy that just was not worth the fight at the time.

There is no reason to cast negative dispersions on the OP. You have stated several times now that you do not think it is his gun. We get it already. It is starting to border on whiny. Might I respectively suggest that you give it a rest?!

Thanks.. appreciated :) -- I learned a long time ago the internet is full of idiots, know-it-alls, and "hollier that thous".. most of all it's full of people that just like to argue because they are bored and think they are experts. Really not worth my time :)

Here are the only real options:

1. let gun be shredded
2. retrieve gun and see if I can find who it was sold to
3. if owner can't be found keep it

Keep in mind that the only gun that could be mine would have been sold over 20 years aga (except the sigma which was one of the firearms my ex kept). I have limited records of guns sold in the 80s. Guy might get luck provided he lives at his same address. I'm certainly not going to hire a private investigator to track the guy down, but I will do what I can. If it belonged to my ex I would most likely keep it since it's obvious she wasn't responsible enough to have it (didn't reg it, didn't secure it).

And even if I find who I sold it to there's no knowing who they sold it to or even if they are allowed to own firearms in 2012.

In any event, some of the posters in this thread should seek professional help ;)

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2012, 6:48 AM
Arent there laws requiring you to report a stolen gun?

If it was sold and not stolen how can it be yours?

Either way I see a slippery slope. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Where did I say a gun was stolen from me???

Even the cops don't call it my property.. they say they have a gun registered to me that can be claimed or destroyed.

Where did I ever say I wouldn't be honest with the cops?

It's like you guys are reading a thread in a parralel universe..

VaderSpade
02-11-2012, 7:07 AM
I NEVER said you would do anything but the right thing.

YOU started the thread asking questions, one of which was could this be a trap?

Don’t twist things around now. I’m simply stating what I think should be done.

You never said you had a gun stolen, BUT if the cops know it was stolen at some point and you then claim it there could be some backlash.

Most of us are just trying to be helpful to a fellow gunner that Asked for help!!! We know better now.

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2012, 7:32 AM
insert sigh here...

SWalt
02-11-2012, 7:53 AM
HOLY CRAP!

I just saw a helicopter near my house.. it wans't black, but it was dark blue?

Are they using camo now????

:facepalm:

Was it the ones with a pod near the nose??? They have been known to task high value assets to this kind of operation. I've seen them disguised as airplanes too, so camo, you bet! Be sure and keep your eyes peeled for drones too.....those suckers are silent!!

:willy_nilly:

Steve1968LS2
02-11-2012, 8:34 AM
Was it the ones with a pod near the nose??? They have been known to task high value assets to this kind of operation. I've seen them disguised as airplanes too, so camo, you bet! Be sure and keep your eyes peeled for drones too.....those suckers are silent!!

:willy_nilly:

Yea, there was a raven.. but it was sorta big.. could it be a Reaper Drone with some feathers glued on?

I've heard "they" are sneaky like that.. :TFH:

russ69
02-11-2012, 8:42 AM
...Might I respectively suggest that you give it a rest?!

Resting right now. May seek professional help, lol.

cannon
02-11-2012, 8:45 AM
The glass is half full.

But it is contaminated with HIV, leprosy, Herpes, and who knows what.

Pour it out.

Throw it in the trash.

And drink only what you have boiled and purified.

:rant:

:D Good answer

SWalt
02-11-2012, 9:15 AM
Yea, there was a raven.. but it was sorta big.. could it be a Reaper Drone with some feathers glued on?

I've heard "they" are sneaky like that.. :TFH:

They sent the "Raven"?? ohhhh dude......not good.....not good at all!!! very very bad juju. if you do decide to mail in the requested form.....do not lick the envelope (DNA). you have to buy a new box of them too with cash, open it with latex gloves, insert form in new envelope, use water not your tongue to seal it, then burn the box of new envelopes and stir the ashes when its out. do you have a safe house?

Big Ben
02-11-2012, 9:39 AM
With all the bickering above, it makes me not even want to follow up on this thread, but I'm dying to know the rest of the story. Which gun, when/how did the OP lose it, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

tozan
02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Just thinking out loud here, could LEO charge someone for transferring a gun without the PPT paper trail.
1. OP tells them it is not his gun and he does not own it anymore.
2. Gun is not registered in new owners name and assuming the transfer would have taken place during a period when we were supposed to register them.
3. Could they charge him for failure to transfer properly?
4. Could he be charged for not disclosing the transfer when they know it was transferred?
5. Is it the new owners responsibility to register the weapon? The law only speaks of the transferor not the receiver.

WOW this is such a crazy problem that gun control has created.... Good luck in this mess...

Librarian
02-11-2012, 6:15 PM
An added note: since using an FFL became a requirement in 1991, and the referenced handguns were transferred before that requirement, suggestions of an incorrect transfer seem to be misplaced.