PDA

View Full Version : Moving a small gun safe - 530 lbs. : How much prep is necessary?

marklbucla
02-09-2012, 4:15 PM
Awaiting my Sturdy 2419 tomorrow AM. It's supposed to weigh about 530 lbs.

Is this something that will be relatively easily moved on a dolly rated to 600-800 lbs., or do I need to go the whole nine yards with the prep- broom handles to roll on, plywood on the floors, ramps for the four outdoor stairs, etc?

cranemech
02-09-2012, 7:48 PM
My son and I moved my safe (400 pounds) up three outside concrete steps and into the house (raised foundation) with an appliance dolly. Horseing it up the steps was the hardest part, but we just took it slow and steady. Once the safe was on the carpet we we're able to slide the safe into place.

SandDiegoDuner
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I moved my 850 pound safe in myself with a little help from the little lady. She placed board and broom sticks while I rocked the safe one way then the other. I was able to get it up the 9 inch rise into the house without damaging anything. If you have a few friend help it shouldn't be a problem at all.

MaHoTex
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Awaiting my Sturdy 2419 tomorrow AM. It's supposed to weigh about 530 lbs.

Is this something that will be relatively easily moved on a dolly rated to 600-800 lbs., or do I need to go the whole nine yards with the prep- broom handles to roll on, plywood on the floors, ramps for the four outdoor stairs, etc?

Appliance dolly and just go. I did mine by myself and it was not a huge ordeal. I did have to use a plywood ramp to get over the door threshold though. That was about a 4 inch high rise.

chris650
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Just moved a 500+ pound up 15 steps to the second floor of my house to put in the closet. Myself,2 friends and a dolly rated at 600 pounds.We got it step at time, but was very sore for a couple days after.

gatesbox
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Mine wasn't quite that big, but I actually found it easier to go up the outside stairs by lifting and tipping it end over end, instead of trying to dead lift the whole thing. It was in cardboard and bolted to a small wooden pallet so it worked ok until I got inside and could slide on carpet after removing wood and cardboard. also have heard of folks using pipe, ball bearings, etc., to move on flat surfaces. Good luck, take pics! We all need a good laugh from time to time..

CaffeinFeign
03-05-2012, 1:39 PM
Moved mine inside with Appliance dolly... (850 lbs) I needed to go up one large step... tilted safe back, had stepson with car floor jack, jack it up. came right in... just gotta out think it...:)