PDA

View Full Version : sooo...i cant defend myself in California?

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 3:25 PM
Ok so im 20 and earlier this year decided to get my first gun ever (shotgun) and im waiting to turn 21 to buy my first handgun (btw heard cali gun laws sucked but wow now that i have guns i can see how stupid this is) and then i remembered something that happened to me. I live in kind of bad part of town but its not total crap here crime wise but it has been going up anyways back to the story.I went to the movies with my friend and his girlfriend when what i could only assume was a drunk guy ,came out of nowhere and started bothering my friends girlfriend so we told her to go inside while we told this guy to beat it. We did it very politely and didnt raise are voices we figured hes just drunk not his fault hes an *** right now.

We come out the movie but my friend decides to use the bathroom before we leave so me and her go outside to wait for him ,and guess whos there waiting for us but he brought two friends along.Things get heated up while i try to calm things down but they don't ,and I tell her to run inside and get my friend or someone to help. I'm now out there with 3 guys unarmed .Now i dont want this to sound like im vein but i dont weigh much 175 but ive been lifting weights since i was 9 so its safe to say im pretty muscular and ive trained in muay thai, judo,jui jitsu ,wrestling,greco roman wrestling and boxed for around 10 years. Its safe to say i wasnt worried unless i saw a gun or knife.

First guy comes at me i leg kick him and he stumbles around not being able to walk right after and i tell others to stop, lol btw kicking 250lbs bag of compacted sand with ur shins for 10 yrs pays off :). Then second and third guy come at me fast so i play dirty ,so i hit one in the throat and and knee other one in the balls. 1st guy tries to grab me so i just did a basic hip throw and he was out my guess is his head hit the cement floor. Then the knife came out from the guy i kicked in the balls i got kind of scared and front kicked his chest to get some space to get out of there. Lucky for me my friend comes out of the theater with a cop and im saved.

This brings me back to my first thought i cant open carry or have a concealed gun with out a permit which is hard to get specialty for a young guy like my self. How the hell is someone suppost to defend them selves from people if ur not as physical as me? Or heck a gun comes out i dont care how good u can fight your going lose.What if these scumbags attacked my friends girlfriend or an old lady or man or something. I cant carry with out getting in trouble wtf is that! The laws are just making it easier to pray on people.

Librarian
02-09-2012, 3:28 PM
Umm, chuy?

Would you please edit that post and break it up into paragraphs?

Just click on the edit button, click to position the cursor, and hit 'return' a couple times at the end of each logical block of text.

five.five-six
02-09-2012, 3:28 PM
IBTL

proclone1
02-09-2012, 3:30 PM
IBTL

this one time at band camp,

StratORcaster
02-09-2012, 3:33 PM
No, it's a large run on sentence. Time to hit the books.

RazzB7
02-09-2012, 3:36 PM
Capitalization is your friend!

It's the difference between

"I helped my uncle jack off his horse" and

"I helped my uncle Jack off his horse."

Seriously though...it makes my brain hurt trying to read the original post.

Ron-Solo
02-09-2012, 3:36 PM
Punctuation saves lives.

Someone beat me to the band camp comment. :D

RazzB7
02-09-2012, 3:37 PM
Punctuation saves lives. :D

"Let's eat grandma!" vs "Let's eat, grandma!":eek:

knerona
02-09-2012, 3:38 PM
As soon as I opened this thread, I knew I would read all the replies and not the OP.

Ubermcoupe
02-09-2012, 3:40 PM

LOL
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wJqU1kJTTXg/TK7sz9ZfXbI/AAAAAAAAAFA/4WtlL92CJgA/s1600/ROTFL110x85.gif

RMP91
02-09-2012, 3:42 PM
I remember when my "enter" key was busted... I just used the OTHER "enter key" on the numpad :43:

PS: My Space Bar is busted right now, but I just press "tab" in it's place :D

BigDogatPlay
02-09-2012, 3:42 PM
i cant carry with out getting in trouble wtf is that!

After having pasted your post into word and applied spelling and grammar checks I would have to say you don't need to worry about carrying.

:43:

RMP91
02-09-2012, 3:44 PM
After having pasted your post into word and applied spelling and grammar checks I would have to say you don't need to worry about carrying.

:43:

Yep because you're probably not even old enough, much less cognitive enough! :facepalm: :p

*In before the "12 year old who thinks they know everything because they play Call of Duty" posts*

gixxerfitz
02-09-2012, 3:47 PM
That lottery is really helping our school systems.....

My kid is doomed. :facepalm:

stix213
02-09-2012, 3:55 PM
ok so im 20 and earlier this year decided to get my first gun ever (shotgun) and im waiting to turn 21 to buy my first handgun (btw heard cali gun laws sucked but wow now that i have guns i can see how stupid this is) and then i remembered something that happened to me. i live in kind of bad part of town but its not total crap here crime wise but it has been going up anyways back to the story.ok so i went to the movies with my friend and his girlfriend when what i could only assume was a drunk big guy came out of nowhere and started bothering my friends girlfriend so we told her to go inside while we told this guy to beat it. we did it very politely and didnt raise are voices we figured hes just drunk not his fault hes an *** right now.so we come out the movie but my friend decides to use the bathroom b4 we leave so me and her go outside to wait for him and guess whos there waiting for us but he brought two friends along.so things get heated up while i try to calm things down but they dont and i tell her to run inside and get my friend or someone to help.so im out there with 3 guys unarmed .now i dont want this to sound like im vein but i dont weigh much 175 but ive been lifting weights since i was 9 so its safe to say im pretty muscular and ive trained in muay thai, judo,jui jitsu ,wrestling,greco roman wrestling and boxed for around 10 years now so its safe to say i wasnt worried unless i saw a gun or knife.so first guy comes at me i leg kick him and he stumbles around not being able to walk right after and i tell others to stop lol btw kicking 250lbs bag of compacted sand with ur shins for 10 yrs pays off :). then second and third guy come at me fast so i play dirty so i hit one in the throat and and knee other one in the balls while 1st guy tries to grab me so i just did a basic hip throw and he was out my guess is his head hit the cement floor then the knife came out from the guy i kicked in the balls i got kind of scared and front kicked his chest to get some space to get out of there lucky for me my friend comes out of the theater with a cop and im saved. so this brings me back to my first thought i cant open carry or have a concealed gun with out a permit which is hard to get specialty for a young guy like my self so how the hell is someone suppost to defend them selves from ppl if ur not as physical as me or heck a gun comes out i dont care how good u can fight ur gonna lose what if these scumbags attacked my friends girlfriend or an old lady or man or something. i cant carry with out getting in trouble wtf is that!

I actually read this giant block of solid text......

In this specific situation instead of telling your girl to go back inside, you both could have. Problem solved.

Pick your battles.... you don't need to always look macho in front of your gf.

BigDogatPlay
02-09-2012, 3:58 PM
Yep because you're probably not even old enough, much less cognitive enough! :facepalm:

Perhaps, but I thought it best to let that sleeping dog lay lest we get another post from him.

:innocent: :D :innocent:

morfeeis
02-09-2012, 4:00 PM
So no one took the time to actually reply to the content of the OP rather then talk about the misuse of his grammar (save stix)? stay classy CalGuns!

Monster i can empathies with you, i too am in a consent state of distress when i think of how much CA has done to disarm the lawful citizens. All i can say is educate yourself of what we are all here fighting for and become a part of the system that is working to restore our rights. Vote, write letters, and donate to those involved in the legal fight for our freedoms......

winnre
02-09-2012, 4:01 PM
Don't shoot the bad guy. Talk like that sentence reads and he will kill himself.

morfeeis
02-09-2012, 4:03 PM
Don't shoot the bad guy. Talk like that sentence reads and he will kill himself.
dam, that's still funny

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 4:04 PM
I will take the constructive criticism,and in the future will try to use correct structure,but this isn't English class its a forum on the internet. I apologize if it was hard to understand, but no need to go and make fun of someone for not being as educated as you are that makes people come off bad. I'm admittedly not a smart guy, and i slacked off in school that's probably why my grammar is horrible, im trying to fix it now.

RazzB7
02-09-2012, 4:06 PM
Chuy, if you would have taken some time and done the first post like the last one, it would have been fine. I don't think anyone is calling you stupid, they're just asking you to take a little more time and post a little more clearly for ease of reading and comprehension.

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 4:07 PM
I agree with you stix213, but my dumb *** man ego got in the way, it was stupid looking back at it.

RMP91
02-09-2012, 4:08 PM
Chuy, if you would have taken some time and done the first post like the last one, it would have been fine. I don't think anyone is calling you stupid, they're just asking you to take a little more time and post a little more clearly for ease of reading and comprehension.

Uh.... Yeah! That's it! That was the point in my post! :p

No hard feelings :)

rplusplus
I agree with you stix213, but my dumb *** man ego got in the way, it was stupid looking back at it.

Happens to all of us... You are one of the few to admit it... for that you get a cookie. :)

robcoe
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ2MmC4kI3kUc8lAnMNoGcolzAPPxYm 3aGdiUIV4Vbp5dkYIMtBg

I am still trying to process the wall of text, was this a story, a statement, a question?

RazzB7
02-09-2012, 4:10 PM
Chuy

Please let me take a minute and publicly apologize to you. If my jokes made you feel like I was saying you were stupid or ignorant, please understand that was not my intent.

Razz

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 4:10 PM
I know razz i didn't mean to come off sounding all offended . :)

greg36f
02-09-2012, 4:15 PM
I will take the constructive criticism,and in the future will try to use correct structure,but this isn't English class its a forum on the internet. I apologize if it was hard to understand, but no need to go and make fun of someone for not being as educated as you are that makes people come off bad. I'm admittedly not a smart guy, and i slacked off in school that's probably why my grammar is horrible, im trying to fix it now.

Chuy, everyone is welcome here, articulate or not. However, I have discovered that if you want to be taken seriously or eved read; sentence structure, grammar and punctuation are important.

I am far, far, far, from the brightest bulb in the box and I cannot tell the difference between a noun and an adverb, BUT I recognize this and I ALWAYS use spell and grammar check before I post. It does take an extra minute or so, but it's worth it.

As an aside, I have discovered that you had better have a pretty thick skin around here. Most people here are kind, but some have not learned the difference between "you are an idiot!!" and "I believe that you should rethink that position". It's all part of the fun on cal Guns and I hope you stick around.

To make things easier, I always copy (not cut for gods sake) and paste to a word document then copy / paste back to the forum. IMO, word works much better than the spell check supplied here.

stix213
02-09-2012, 4:18 PM

Wow I'm very impressed. Takes a big man to admit anything these days.

I agree with your original post in principal that we lack good self defense options.

If you are carrying a gun though you should be focused on deescalating situations whenever possible, not escalating them. It doesn't matter if other people will think you look like a ***** for doing so. You're the one with the power, you're the one who will be judged for all your conduct starting from the first word out of your mouth if things get out of hand, and if you deploy a deadly weapon in defense you will certainly be held to a higher standard than the criminal. You want to make it look like you did everything in your power to avoid having to shoot the guy, and you'll want the jury to agree there wasn't much else you could have done.

Shellshocker66
02-09-2012, 4:23 PM

It's not the structure, spelling or punctuation. It's just the big blob of text that is hard to read. Trust me there is worse on this forum and no need to be upset by it. Most of us here are not English majors and if I was graded on spelling here I would of been banned long ago.

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 4:23 PM
I guess this would be a story and a question robcoe. The question how are people going to arm them selves when, unless you have a permit its a violation of the law. Also thank you for replying to the content of the post and not the bad grammar morfeeis . haha

gixxerfitz
02-09-2012, 4:25 PM

+1

Also, wearing a flame retardant suit while posting adds an extra degree of difficulty. :43:

jwkincal
02-09-2012, 4:27 PM
Chuy, discretion is the better part of valor. It would seem that you have figured that out already.

In any case, keep working on your open-hand skills because, yes, based on your description of where you live, it is going to be impossible for you to legally carry a firearm (ironic, isn't it?)

robcoe
02-09-2012, 4:29 PM
I guess this would be a story and a question robcoe. The question how are people going to arm them selves when, unless you have a permit its a violation of the law. Also thank you for replying to the content of the post and not the bad grammar morfeeis . haha

Best bet for arming yourself in public would be something like a Taser C2(useful for a single target), pepper spray and situational awareness(it is best to avoid a fight whenever possible).

Also it would depend on where you live, places like Tulare county are for all practical purposes shall issue for concealed carry.

Kid Stanislaus
02-09-2012, 5:21 PM

:jump: :laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Kid Stanislaus
02-09-2012, 5:27 PM

And my guess you are the only one on this forum whose "dumb *** man ego" has ever gotten in the way, NOT:D

IGOTDIRT4U
02-09-2012, 6:01 PM
Umm, chuy?

Just click on the edit button, click to position the cursor, and hit 'return' a couple times at the end of each logical block of text.

Yeah, no kidding. That was painful.

IGOTDIRT4U
02-09-2012, 6:17 PM
I actually read this giant block of solid text......

In this specific situation instead of telling your girl to go back inside, you both could have. Problem solved.

Pick your battles.... you don't need to always look macho in front of your gf.

You look more macho taking the proper course of action.

I was walking with my wife and dog early one Sunday morning about 2 weeks ago and as we walked around a small, local park, a suspicious looking man who was hanging around the public bathroom started to act weird. I knew the public bathroom was locked at those hours so my sixth sense told me to watch for more strange behaviors. Sure enough, the guy left the front of the public restroom after we rounded around the far side of the bathroom and he then paralleled us for about 30 yards.

By this time my wife could sense I was not exactly happy, and in an unusual moment of not blowing the scene, she whispered, "are you watching that guy?".

Yep. And hand on edc, but not wanting to broadcast it, she let me keep it cool and the situation ended (not before a few more tense moves by the weirdo).

Story is, keep it cool and under the radar, take the high ground and high road, keep it close, discreet and take the tactical advantage without broadcasting your thoughts, intents and actions.

It would be the same if you had a CCW.

scarville
02-09-2012, 6:20 PM

That's funny! :rofl2:

I suppose it's a good thing gun ownership is not predicated on an ability to write coherently.

IBTL/D

CHS
02-09-2012, 6:29 PM
Umm, chuy?

Chuy, please do as Librarian suggests. You've responded several times to this thread but still left the original post intact.

Just go in and edit it to break it up into much easier to read paragraphs. You're right, this isn't English class, this is a forum on the internet. And on this forum we communicate through text, which is the same as being in English class.

Paul S
02-09-2012, 7:52 PM
As soon as I opened this thread, I knew I would read all the replies and not the OP.

+1 with an amen!

Paul S
02-09-2012, 7:58 PM

Thank you and yes it is the internet. So what? Stream of consciousness writing is horribly difficult to follow. It makes my hair hurt...and I've been bald for years. :rolleyes:

choprzrul
02-09-2012, 8:14 PM
Umm, chuy?

There in lies the root of the problem...

emptybottle151
02-09-2012, 8:37 PM
Better to be judge by twelve than carried by six.

Librarian
02-09-2012, 8:42 PM
Chuymonster, I think you're going to like it here.

I think this is the best acceptance of rag-on-the-new-guy I've ever seen.

chuymonster
02-09-2012, 8:45 PM
Hahaha, i do like it here there's lots of good info and people here.

Sir Stunna Lot
02-10-2012, 1:23 AM
is there a video of the encounter on youtube, i would love to see it

Wrangler John
02-10-2012, 6:03 PM
I remember when my "enter" key was busted... I just used the OTHER "enter key" on the numpad :43:

PS: My Space Bar is busted right now, but I just press "tab" in it's place :D

Yep, I had the same problem with a large dollop of melted pizza cheese plopping into the left side of the old $9 Chinese keyboard. So I just received three new $10 Microsoft Chinese keyboards. The upgrade is astounding! They ought to sell the keyboards on a roll like paper towels. Hot cheese can destroy grammar.

tzotzo
02-11-2012, 7:25 AM
One impt thing you learn in a good defensive pistol class, versus your run of the mill one day CCW class, is to work hard to avoid getting into these self defense situations in the first place. Being in that situation as you describe you'd have to be well practiced and trained to draw in CQ and defend yourself in a legally justified manner.

And don't forget about the grand jury process you may go through that will cost you money and the civil lawsuit you may well go through all of which will run you up in to the tens of thousands of dollars. All this is not to say don't arm yourself or go out, but to stay out of the those parts of town where you would not be surprised to get into some trouble. That's what we learned from people who have 100x my self defense skills. Even they practice trouble avoidance constantly.

Tarn_Helm
02-11-2012, 7:51 AM

If you can read street signs and obey simple traffic laws, then you can employ all of the conventions of Standard written English.

"Conventions" is a word you need to learn and then meditate upon for a very long time if you intend to post here.

While of the people who frequent this forum might disagree with my opinions or call me a paranoid nut, I have never had anyone question my intelligence based on their criticism of my writing, simply because I employ the conventions of Standard written English.

I also suggest you learn and observe the conventions of differing linguistic registers.

For the sake of fun, I can speak street slang that would make me completely unintelligible to most of the people I know and deal with outside of work.

But there is a time and a place for everything.

This forum is not the place where you show that you can use substandard forms of self-expression.

We are here because we are in a desperate fight for our rights.

Our fight is intellectual not physical (yet).

So we have to show that we know our enemies' weapons (words) and the methods of using them (grammar and logic), or else we will just devolve into intellectually flaccid and helpless sheep.

I suggest you spend the next ten years training your intellect since it sounds like you spent a good decade of your formative years training your body at the expense of training yourself in cognitive acumen.

Print out and read my post.

Look up the unknown words.

Write a definition of each in a composition book, which you will begin carrying with you everywhere you go. Then write a sentence with the word, using it correctly in context. This will help it stick in your mind. You must practice with each new tool (each new word) in order to become proficient in it.

Start reading more.

Read history, philosophy, and law.

If you must mix in some literature now and then, begin with the works listed here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Western_Canon:_The_Books_and_School_of_the_Age s).

Thus endeth today's lesson.

Go and sin no more against the English language.

Jack L
02-11-2012, 8:08 AM
Ok so im 20 and earlier this year decided to get my first gun ever (shotgun) and im waiting to turn 21 to buy my first handgun (btw heard cali gun laws sucked but wow now that i have guns i can see how stupid this is) and then i remembered something that happened to me. I live in kind of bad part of town but its not total crap here crime wise but it has been going up anyways back to the story.I went to the movies with my friend and his girlfriend when what i could only assume was a drunk guy ,came out of nowhere and started bothering my friends girlfriend so we told her to go inside while we told this guy to beat it. We did it very politely and didnt raise are voices we figured hes just drunk not his fault hes an *** right now.

We come out the movie but my friend decides to use the bathroom before we leave so me and her go outside to wait for him ,and guess whos there waiting for us but he brought two friends along.Things get heated up while i try to calm things down but they don't ,and I tell her to run inside and get my friend or someone to help. I'm now out there with 3 guys unarmed .Now i dont want this to sound like im vein but i dont weigh much 175 but ive been lifting weights since i was 9 so its safe to say im pretty muscular and ive trained in muay thai, judo,jui jitsu ,wrestling,greco roman wrestling and boxed for around 10 years. Its safe to say i wasnt worried unless i saw a gun or knife.

First guy comes at me i leg kick him and he stumbles around not being able to walk right after and i tell others to stop, lol btw kicking 250lbs bag of compacted sand with ur shins for 10 yrs pays off :). Then second and third guy come at me fast so i play dirty ,so i hit one in the throat and and knee other one in the balls. 1st guy tries to grab me so i just did a basic hip throw and he was out my guess is his head hit the cement floor. Then the knife came out from the guy i kicked in the balls i got kind of scared and front kicked his chest to get some space to get out of there. Lucky for me my friend comes out of the theater with a cop and im saved.

This brings me back to my first thought i cant open carry or have a concealed gun with out a permit which is hard to get specialty for a young guy like my self. How the hell is someone suppost to defend them selves from people if ur not as physical as me? Or heck a gun comes out i dont care how good u can fight your going lose.What if these scumbags attacked my friends girlfriend or an old lady or man or something. I cant carry with out getting in trouble wtf is that! The laws are just making it easier to pray on people.

Dude, you could have a TV show with those skills.

cmichini
02-11-2012, 8:26 AM
If the post is for real, as soon as you saw the guy out there with three friends, you should have moved back to the lobby, called 911.

You're lucky they didn't all jump you at once, shiv you and leave you for dead, or possibly abscond with your GF for their play toy.

Cops make a salary to address d-bags like this. Give them the opportunity to serve the community, instead of criminalizing law abiding citizens.

Of course, I'm not Jackie Chan like the OP. JMO

sharxbyte
02-11-2012, 9:19 AM
Someone who is not as physical as you will read up on their knife laws, and carry a good sized locking folder. Knives are cheap and shiny.

Seeing as you would be willing to shoot someone, stabbing them isn't all that much messier, and only requires being a bit closer.

I read the OP and "mall ninja" came to mind...

Vladimir
02-11-2012, 10:26 AM
So what are you saying? You could've just talked about how lame defense laws are, this is more of an off-topic forum story.

chaoticmind
02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Man!! The first six responses were BRUTAL! I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Librarian
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
We're done with this one.