PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here CC a Glock 30?

Vanguard
02-09-2012, 4:08 PM
I originally posted in the "recommend a CCW holster" thread that I was buying a Glock 26 for concealed carry....now I'm rethinking that. Can anyone here give me some insight on carrying a Glock 30? It's not as small or light as the 9mm baby Glock and won't be as easy to conceal but I hear it's doable. Just looking for some opinions. I'd rather carry a .45 over 9mm....just my preference.

HighValleyRanch
02-09-2012, 5:50 PM
I carried both a glock 19 and a glock 29 (exact same size as the 30 but 10mm)
The 29 is thicker but not by much. 1.27 to 1.18 so like a tenth of an inch.
This wide 11------less the the space between the one's.

Do you really think that makes that much difference, given the width of jeans, t shirts, coats, sweatshirts. Some holsters are that thick just on one side.

So the difference between going from a glock 26 with a leather holster to a glock 29 with a thin kydex holster is the same.

You just have to learn how to compensate for the slight additional width.

hill billy
02-09-2012, 6:32 PM
I carry a 29. Same gun, really. It's a little on the heavy side these days. Or maybe I am just getting fat and my gut pushes it down.

ballyhoo
02-09-2012, 6:56 PM
The G30 is my EDC for the past two years. I carry it in a Raven Concealment type of Kydex holster. It is just as east to carry/conceal as my MP9C. The most notable difference will be the weight between a fully loaded G26 & G30. The G26 is subcompact and the G30 is compact size. I really like my G30 for EDC.

Oceanbob
02-09-2012, 7:01 PM
Love my GLOCK 30 but for the same size go with a GLOCK 29.

The GLOCK 29 is the most powerful and versitile handgun yet made..:cool2:

Swap out the barrel and shoot .40

Be well, Bob

al8550
02-09-2012, 7:09 PM
Can't wait til I get mine!!!

Be well, Bob

Vanguard
02-09-2012, 7:40 PM

Be well, Bob

You know, I hadn't even considered the 10mm really. I'll definately take a look now. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

wuhungsix
02-09-2012, 7:48 PM
I have a G29 which sits in a knock-off Crossbreed Supertuck (made by Kwart on Glocktalk). Its a little bit thicker but conceals fine IWB. After a couple days of wearing it on your hip, you get use to the weight and thickness.

I do perfer my G36 (single-stack .45) in a real Supertuck. Seems to hug tighter than the fat G29. Probably in my head though.

Left to right: G29SF, G36, Kahr PM9.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/wuhungsix/DSC_0914.jpg

QuarterBoreGunner
02-09-2012, 7:49 PM
I've carried three different Glock 30s pretty much everyday since they first introduced it back in the 90's. Must have gone through a dozen holsters before finally settling on the Comptac M-TAC. (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=o08oe8n3kpaanmfp8t712tt0d6)
Any specific questions?

MA2
02-09-2012, 7:52 PM
G30 can be converted to 10mm :)

QuarterBoreGunner
02-09-2012, 7:57 PM
G30 can be converted to 10mm :)

Yeah, but my very personal opinion is that the less you mess with a carry piece the better. If you want to range play with a 10mm either get a 10mm or a different gun to swap out calibers.

I firmly believe that a firearm that you're going to depend upon to defend your life and possibly the lives of your love ones with you, should be simple and basic. I like a carry piece that does one thing and does it very well, all the time and every time. I'll leave the tinkering with multi-caliber firearms to other range toys.

TahoeSig
02-09-2012, 8:02 PM
I carry a g30sf regularly. It is bulkier than my Ultra CDP II and a little more difficult to conceal, but it is still a great carry weapon. I got it because of the 4 inch barrel and the 10 round capacity. Dead accurate when you're actually trying and very controllable with doubles. Hasn't ever failed to go bang with a trigger pull so it's definitely reliable. Fugly but that's just my sense of aesthetics...ymmv. I figure anyone on the business end won't really care about appearance. Good concealment holsters aren't as easy to come by, but I have a small iwb clip on that works (Don Hume H715) and have a versa max ii on order for it (still my personal favorite for carrying concealed). Fits well in Coronado Leather concealment jackets (although I did have to make my on holster for the coat). I think it's an excellent choice if you want to carry a 45.

Oceanbob
02-09-2012, 8:09 PM
You know, I hadn't even considered the 10mm really. I'll definately take a look now. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Read this thread..the Perfect Gun.....over on the 10 Ring on Glock talk..

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395480

Take care
Bob

badduggy
02-09-2012, 8:12 PM
+1 for the 30sf. i was comparing the reg g30 and the g30sf at the range and fwiw i have large hands and like the 30sf more.
off topic but im trying to decide between the g19 and the g30sf for ccw. ballistically, the guys on m4carbine swear by the 19 with modern self defense ammo. however id still rather shoot 45acp with lo-cap mags than 9mm with lo-caps (uncle scotty reitz sez 45 puts'em down!).

SJgunguy24
02-09-2012, 8:14 PM
I've carried three different Glock 30s pretty much everyday since they first introduced it back in the 90's. Must have gone through a dozen holsters before finally settling on the Comptac M-TAC. (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=o08oe8n3kpaanmfp8t712tt0d6)
Any specific questions?

I actually have found my Mtac to be my favorite for my CZ's. A little stiffer than the Crossbreed but that's a good thing. No flaps trying to get in the way while reholstering.

Vanguard
02-09-2012, 9:18 PM
Jumped around to a few different gun and opinion forums and people are making the Glock 29 out to be the gun that Jesus would use. I'm going to have to look into 10mm a little more.

I know I can google it but how much more does the ammo cost in relation to .45 ACP? Is it tough to find? I live literally a mile from a Cabela's so I would think they probably stock it regularly.

Thanks for the quick and insightful responses guys.

Mr.1904
02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Pick up my 30sf monday. I'll post with my out-take on it after I get my hands on it.

ChrisTKHarris
02-10-2012, 12:50 AM
I have one, ended up buying a 26 to use instead.

Mac Attack
02-10-2012, 2:54 AM
I purchased my G30 when they first came out. I am a dire hard 1911 fan but when I leave my house I find myself, more often then not, strapping on my G30 rather than my Colt Combat Commander. Sure the Colt is thinner than the G30 but it's all steel construction and 9 rounds weighs more than the 30 with 11 rounds. Also the 30 is more compact and doesn't peak out when I wear just a t shirt. I have a Milt Sparks VMII for IWB carry and a Lou Alessi CQC/S for OWB carry. Back when I was skinnier I preferred IWB carry but over the years my pants have shrunk :) and now I find IWB carry uncomfortable and go with OWB.

Over the years my G30 has been ultra reliable over tens of thousands of rounds. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a compact .45.

Quiet
02-10-2012, 4:20 AM
I've used the Comp-Tac M-Tac to carry my Glock 30.
I recommend the Comp-Tac M-Tac and the Crossbreed SuperTuck.

Although, I did switch it out to a subcompact Glock (39), because its easier to conceal than the Glock 30 when wearing t-shirt/shorts/sandals.

gmd455
02-10-2012, 9:23 AM
I just sold my Glock 27 because I can conceale my Glock 30sf just as good in a comp tac minotaur mtac holster. Get the Glock 30. you can get a 9 round mag for and it sits flush like the Glock 29 mags do. I like the sf because I have little girl hands. The 26 and 27 is good if you want to put it in a cargo pocket.

Bobshouse
02-11-2012, 7:21 PM
I carry my G30sf daily in an occidental holster

http://www.bestbelt.com/images/p_expanded/1337.jpg

Very very comfortable...

But....you can get the best holster in the world, without the proper belt, you wasting your money.

I ordered a gun belt from the beltman, that with my occidental holster distributes the weight of the gun around my waist evenly. No back pain, sagging or hip dragging.

SA227driver
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I originally posted in the "recommend a CCW holster" thread that I was buying a Glock 26 for concealed carry....now I'm rethinking that. Can anyone here give me some insight on carrying a Glock 30? It's not as small or light as the 9mm baby Glock and won't be as easy to conceal but I hear it's doable. Just looking for some opinions. I'd rather carry a .45 over 9mm....just my preference.

I carry my G30SF in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC holster with a really good leather reinforced belt. It stays put all day long and conceals well.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

What I like about the Comp-Tac products is that the Minotaur holster has a single leather body that you can swap out shells for different carry weapons.

jlbflyboy172
07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I carry my G30sf daily in an occidental holster

http://www.bestbelt.com/images/p_expanded/1337.jpg

Very very comfortable...

But....you can get the best holster in the world, without the proper belt, you wasting your money.

I ordered a gun belt from the beltman, that with my occidental holster distributes the weight of the gun around my waist evenly. No back pain, sagging or hip dragging.

I have to give a +100 bump to the Occidental Holsters. I tried one of those first and then moved on to try a whole bushel of other brands and I have since come full circle back to the Occidental. Then main reason is the fact that they have the stabilizer flange to the rear and none to the front. I find that many of the other ones with a piece of leather to the front, they dig into my hip and/or butt cheek just enough to create a sciatica like sensation. Here is the Galco Holster I have so you can see the difference of what I am talking about. I sit in front of a computer a good portion of the day and I believe that has a good deal to do with it. Others may not have the same sensation of feeling. I think the Galco holsters are good but my favorite one is from Tucker Gun leather. They have a combo leather and kydex IWB holster where the kydex has a nice soft leather lining inside to as to not create as much wear on your gun. They are finely crafted holsters and their customer services is top notch!

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww113/jlbflyboy172/galco-vhawk-iwb.jpg

Mr.1904
07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
This thread after the fact? Sure

So since the beginning of this thread i did land my Glock30SF, ANNNNND a 26.

Honestly, i have a love affair with the Glock 30. My favorite pistol by far. I rock the 9 round mag and just threw some Trijicon NS on it. For months like this when it's overly hot i get self conscious about the 30 and get a better piece of mind with the 26. But would prefer the 30. Granted i do not have any decent holster for either of them. I feel like they both carry fine even in a cheap IWB nylon holster. I feel more comfortable with my 30, but less worried about printing with the 26 in shorts and a tshirt. I wear them both at about 3:30-4 O'clock. I also shoot my 30 better. If you are planning on EDC and have your CCW i'd definitely tell you to go with the 30SF.

26 for a little bit more conealment (Not THAT much of a difference with the 9 round 30 mag.). The 26 is also a tad lighter, but you still have a gun on your hip, and i've noticed it's just a tiny bit smaller in general. Deep concealment? 26.

You can't go wrong with either.

My two cents after the fact. How did you end up Vanguard?