PDA

View Full Version : Aren't the Brits happy they banned guns

cartman
03-28-2007, 2:42 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=445033&in_page_id=1770

leelaw
03-28-2007, 3:14 PM
Because when the stabber sees that the lunge doesn't work, I'm sure he'll just give up rather than slash for a neck, arm or leg. :rolleyes:

KenpoProfessor
03-28-2007, 3:24 PM
Here's the whole text.

Worried parents are buying their children body armour to protect them from knife attacks.

A firm that supplies stab and bullet-proof vests to government agencies around the world said it had been flooded with orders following a series of brutal knife murders on Britain's streets.

Read more...

Girl, 14, held over teen stabbing murder
Police demand tougher knife laws

VestGuard UK said it had received more than 100 calls from parents in London alone. It normally receives only one or two inquiries nationwide each year.

Some 60 jackets, costing between £300 and £425, have been sold - with parents saving up to buy the armour.

Shaun Ward, the sales director at VestGuard UK, said: "They are concerned by what is happening on the streets - the level of violence. A 13-year-old girl has been our youngest customer but most are about 15 or 16.

"We have a factory in Bolton and since Christmas we have been making really small vests that have a 28" chest and weigh 800 grams. The children have been mostly boys, but there are a few girls."

David Davis, the Shadow Home Secretary, said: "The fact parents are having to resort to spending large amounts of money on such drastic measures betrays the Government's failure to get a grip on violent crime.

"This is a consequence of having very little police presence on our streets and in our communities to detect and deter violent crime. While our police are tied up in red tape innocent children are having to wear police equipment to protect themselves."

It came as police demanded new laws to tackle knife crime in the wake of the fatal stabbings of Adam Regis and Kodjo Yenga in the capital. The Police Federation, which represents 140,000 frontline officers, said current legislation is 'unclear' and 'arbitrary'.

In evidence to MPs, police said the standard of proof should be changed so that prosecutors no longer have to establish a person caught with a knife intended to us it illegally.

Instead, the onus would switch to the person proving they had an innocent explanation for having the blade.

The federation also said the current law, which only makes weapons with a blade of more than three inches illegal without a lawful reason, needs updating. New weapons, such as lock knives and 'butterflies' should be included.

In his own evidence to Westminster's home affairs committee, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker ruled out a mandatory jail sentence for thugs who carry knives in public.

Campaigners argue this is the only effective deterrent, but Mr Coaker said: "I think we need to keep a distinction between guns and knives.

"We are trying to have a law that is proportionate and workable. We have just increased the maximum sentence for carrying knives from two years to four years. We need to see what impact that has."

Mr Coaker blamed poor parenting for youths carrying knives. He said: "It can be a contributory factor and it is something we need to look at."

But he added that even 'very good parents' and those children growing up within a 'model two-parent family' could still be sucked into the world of knife crime.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, blaming poor parenting as the cause, you mean it wasn't the gun or knife, how can that be?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

triggerhappy
03-28-2007, 4:14 PM
LOL! "knife crime"! Like it matters! Is there "ball-peen hammer crime" then? The limeys need to revolt against their revolting government. Sure, we need to as well, but JEEEEEZ! If this isn't government parentalism, nothing is.

Hanniballs
03-28-2007, 4:19 PM
We've been killing each other since the dawn of time. Nothing is ever going to change that.

pnkssbtz
03-28-2007, 5:13 PM
Instead, the onus would switch to the person proving they had an innocent explanation for having the blade.

Wow, so now the onus of proof is on the defendant... just wow...

I wonder if anyone in the U.K. has seen V for Vendetta...

Surveyor
03-28-2007, 5:20 PM
I wonder if the Brits are like Californians? Stuck living under stupid laws they don't agree with. Are they ruled by a vocal minority or are they mostly p*ssies?

LAK Supply
03-28-2007, 5:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! WTF?!?!?! It just gets more rediculous . . . . :eek:

Satex
03-28-2007, 5:39 PM
Think like the Briton Liberals that "worked so hard to ban guns". In their mind, this isn't proof that banning firearms doesn’t work, it is proof that the ban needs to go further.
Remember, in a perfect society, the behavior of ALL individuals is highly regulated. Once we can "re-educate" the masses, utopia will be prevail.

triggerhappy
03-28-2007, 6:21 PM
We've been killing each other since the dawn of time. Nothing is ever going to change that.

Are you threatening me?

AJAX22
03-28-2007, 6:43 PM
It's kind of like in the when the brits forbade the scotts and the irish to cary weapons and all of a sudden everyone started having back problems and walking with a blackthorn cane.

when was that 1600's 1700's?

Knauga
03-28-2007, 6:58 PM
Come on now, the real question is "Will this stop a spork?" :rolleyes:

M. Sage
03-28-2007, 7:02 PM
Come on now, the real question is "Will this stop a spork?" :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the answer is a "no" in the case of this one:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8ace/

Dont Tread on Me
03-28-2007, 7:27 PM
I thought they were having a crack down on knives too....

brighamr
03-28-2007, 8:04 PM
no more steak for the british. I guess they'll all have to eat vegetarian from now on if knifes get banned... another step towards perfect society

jumbopanda
03-28-2007, 8:14 PM
And next they'll need armor to protect against blunt trauma from hammers and rocks.

Hanniballs
03-28-2007, 8:16 PM
Are you threatening me?

http://mustangworld.com/forums/images/smilies/violent%5B1%5D.gif

biff
03-28-2007, 8:24 PM
I thought they were having a crack down on knives too....

I think it was Scotland banned knives and swords or something silly like that.

Wasn't there a thread a month or so back where the main author of the anti-gun laws in England wrote an article looking back and admitting the ban didn't work?

Knauga
03-28-2007, 8:33 PM
Ireland had a weapons amnesty last summer, I guess it is over because the website has been taken down, but this is what THEY defined as banned weapons

What is an illegally held weapon?
It is illegal for any person to possess, carry or use any firearm without a licence from An Garda Síochána to do so.

It is illegal for any person to possess, without good reason or lawful authority, in any public place, any

(a) knife,

(b) article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed,

(c) other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person.

So yes, in Ireland if you are walking around with an unlicensed sharpened stick you are going to Irish prison... without the Lucky Charms :rolleyes:

Charliegone
03-28-2007, 8:33 PM
And next they'll need armor to protect against blunt trauma from hammers and rocks.

Looks like armor is coming back...time to stock up!:D

triggerhappy
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
http://mustangworld.com/forums/images/smilies/violent%5B1%5D.gif

LOL@ I like the smileys!

triggerhappy
03-29-2007, 6:33 AM
LOL! "Molon Rouge"??

AJAX22
03-29-2007, 8:17 AM
lol, I love that they had a weapon amnesty in Ireland.

cause we all know that Ireland has no guns. nope, not one.

They turned them all in doncha know?

Along with all that semtex (that was old and unstable)

funny they didn't find anywhere near the amount that they were expecting... or any of that C4 that they tracked into the country.

mstlaurent
03-29-2007, 9:04 AM
The fact that they're resorting to "knife control" really proves that they don't get it. After knife control it will be hammer control, then rock control, then fist control, everyone will have to walk around with their palms flat against their sides when they're in public or the SWAT team will throw them to the ground. "Sir, you should have been more careful when you grasped that pen to sign your receipt, the clerk found it threatening. Have to take you in now." Ever since the troubles the UK has been becoming more and more of a police state. Scary.

ViPER395
03-29-2007, 2:04 PM
Think like the Briton Liberals that "worked so hard to ban guns". In their mind, this isn't proof that banning firearms doesn’t work, it is proof that the ban needs to go further.
Remember, in a perfect society, the behavior of ALL individuals is highly regulated. Once we can "re-educate" the masses, utopia will be prevail.

Two great quotes.

The fact that they're resorting to "knife control" really proves that they don't get it. After knife control it will be hammer control, then rock control, then fist control, everyone will have to walk around with their palms flat against their sides when they're in public or the SWAT team will throw them to the ground. "Sir, you should have been more careful when you grasped that pen to sign your receipt, the clerk found it threatening. Have to take you in now." Ever since the troubles the UK has been becoming more and more of a police state. Scary.