PDA

View Full Version : 10mm 1911 Recoil Spring Recommendation

halifax
02-09-2012, 1:16 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring in my Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm. I believe the factory spring is 22#. Since I'm shooting mostly full strength ammo should I consider 24# to spare the frame any damage?

Thanks

mark2203
02-09-2012, 1:24 PM
I'm not sure if going from a 22# to a 24# is going to make that much of a difference. I know that going from a 16# to a 24# on my G20 and G29 made a big difference. I wouldn't worry too much on your Kimber unless your reloading some truly nuclear rounds.

halifax
02-09-2012, 1:33 PM
I'm not sure if going from a 22# to a 24# is going to make that much of a difference. I know that going from a 16# to a 24# on my G20 and G29 made a big difference. I wouldn't worry too much on your Kimber unless your reloading some truly nuclear rounds.

OK, reasonable enough thinking there. Would there be any downside to 24# as long as it cycles? I'm thinking not.

Nuclear, maybe sometimes. :D

mark2203
02-09-2012, 1:41 PM
I wouldn't think there would be a downside going up a knotch. I'm sure that Kimber is made extremely well and can handle most anything you throw at it. I'm actually jealous. I really want one of those, or a Dan Wesson 10mm.

halifax
02-09-2012, 1:45 PM
I waited several years for a Colt Pyton to come close enough to grab. Next I'm hoping a Delta Elite will show itself.

dexter9659
02-09-2012, 1:59 PM
#24 for your 1911. I am using a #26 for full horsepower blow your gun up loads in my G20SFL. Though I have a #24 for standard 10mm loads.

mark2203
02-09-2012, 2:10 PM
#24 for your 1911. I am using a #26 for full horsepower blow your gun up loads in my G20SFL. Though I have a #24 for standard 10mm loads.

Gotta love 10mm

halifax
02-09-2012, 2:28 PM
Interesting and informative post from Gerk over on the 1911 Forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245678

I don't remember where I'd heard the Kimber stock spring was 22# but this says it's 18.5#. Also, as Gerk explains below (BOLDED by me) heavy springs can cause frame damage on the rebound more so than the recoil. I'm going to have to re-think this whole thing. Thanks for the replies though.

I have the same 10MM Kimber and have been Handloading the 10MM for over twenty five years.

There are probably several reasons why Kimber is using the lighter spring weight
One of them is the majority of standard factory 10MM ammunition is no longer loaded to original 10MM velocities. Most is not much more than .40 S&W speed with respective bullet weights.

The Kimber with its tighter slide to frame tolerance may just require less spring to accomplish the same function, especially with the less powerful factory ammunition
The Colt guns when fired and their larger clearance between the slide and frame have little if any metal contact in recoil. The Kimber on the other hand with its close tolerance has much more metal contact, this contact ads drag or retardation to the cycle
Kimber probably found with most factory ammunition the 18.5 lb. spring to be more than adequate to reliably perform the task as needed

The other is the design difference between the Kimber and the original gun design (Colt)
The Colt with the dual recoil spring assembly factory rating was 23 lbs.
At the time this seemed warranted but over the years more was learned
The dual spring system handled the recoil and cycled the slide reliably but may have contributed to some gun battering
You have to remember the battering occurs more from the spring being to heavy than being to light.
When the gun is fired the recoil spring, whether 18.5, 20 or 23 lb. is at it’s most recoil absorbing state as the slide is at or near the most rearward position in the cycle.
The risk of battering to the frame or slide is at the minimum in this configuration unless the gun is really under sprung (say having a 16 lb. or less recoil spring installed)

Where the risk to battering the gun comes into play is on the return to battery cycle This is where the recoil spring is releasing the stored up recoil energy
As you increase the spring recoil rating the more recoil force is applied to the gun as the slide is returning to its in battery or locked position.
With the slide being “sent home” at this accelerated rate this is where the battering is more likely to occur.

Unless you are shooting full house 200-grain loadings you may never need anything above the 18.5 lb. spring
I also use the Cominolli frame saver; I like the design with the buff on the rear of the guide rod head where it will do the buffering job on the frame
I have been using them for years and have only broken one
(Using full tilt 200 grainers expired the rod one time, busted the head right off)

As far as the spent casings getting the gun jammed up maybe the 20 pound spring is retarding the slide to much, this caliber like’s slide velocity.
If the 18.5 lb. spring is performing, why not use it?

Good Luck

mark2203
02-09-2012, 2:35 PM
It really comes down to what type of load. I'm typically shooting my own recipe "full house 200-grain loadings" XTPs. Most off the shelf 10mm target rounds are pretty light.

NytWolf
02-09-2012, 2:37 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring in my Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm. I believe the factory spring is 22#. Since I'm shooting mostly full strength ammo should I consider 24# to spare the frame any damage?

Thanks

Do you know if the Eclipse Custom II has a ramped barrel? (I have one in jail.) I was looking at Underwood's website and it says do not use their 10mm ammo in rampless 1911's. /hijack

halifax
02-09-2012, 2:49 PM
It really comes down to what type of load. I'm typically shooting my own recipe "full house 200-grain loadings" XTPs. Most off the shelf 10mm target rounds are pretty light.

Currently loading 15.0 and 15.5 gr of AA #9 with 165 gr JFP. Not "nuclear" but I'm expecting it will have a bite.

Do you know if the Eclipse Custom II has a ramped barrel? (I have one in jail.) I was looking at Underwood's website and it says do not use their 10mm ammo in rampless 1911's. /hijack

Yes, it's ramped. Congratulations on that purchase.

robert101
02-09-2012, 3:23 PM
I have both an 18.5 and a 20 lb spring. I don't see a need for anything stiffer for my DW PM-7 10MM.

NytWolf
02-09-2012, 3:54 PM
Yes, it's ramped. Congratulations on that purchase.

Thanks and thanks!

MA2
02-09-2012, 8:31 PM
If anyone is keeping score, my early 90's Delta does not have a ramped barrel.
Has a dual spring recoil system, I believe nets to 23lbs.
Better recoil management than my G29, but that is not a good/fair comparison at all.

Love that 2-tone Eclipse finish http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif really want to re-finish my Delta like that someday.

buffybuster
02-09-2012, 9:30 PM
There is a risk running too heavy a recoil spring on 1911 pattern pistols. That risk is the slide coming into battery at a higher velocity puts greater stress on the bottom lugs, slide stop and eventually the top lugs. There are some other ways to control the slide velocity besides just running a heavier recoil spring. While a heavier recoil spring is called for with fullpower 10mm loads (than 45ACP), going to a 24-26# spring might be too much of a good thing.

2nd Shot
02-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Fire the gun with as hot a load as you intend to shoot, and hold it with an iron grip. If the recoil has a little bit of sting to it and/or you can feel the slide whack the frame, a little more spring will help decelerate the slide faster. I noticed this on my G29 with stock spring. I went from stock to 21# and felt recoil became a brisk shove (like a lightweight .45) instead of stinging the hand and wanting to jump up out of my grip. The effect may not be as pronounced with a metal 1911 frame, as the G29 frame is extremely light weight just by itself.

I suppose you could also get an assortment of springs and set it too heavy, then back down until it cycles on as light a load as you intend to shoot. Not knowing 1911's, this is all considering what was said about increasing the speed of the slide slamming home and possible damage, so be careful with that.

halifax
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I think I'll go with an 18.5# and 20# in my bag of tricks. Also ordered a Cominolli Frame Saver (http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?products_id=35&osCsid=69f6gos1ovh1rev4pbbrgrdu15).

Thanks guys