PDA

View Full Version : Estate firearms collection question

lhecker51
02-09-2012, 9:12 AM
I have been asked about a collection of firearms that where inherited by a friend that want's to sell the entire collection as a single purchase. As a non-FFL holder, I am interested in making an offer, but need to know if it is even possible due to California laws.

The collection consists of a 10 handguns, 4 shotguns, 7 hunting rifles, 2 SKS rifles, & 3 muzzle-loaders.

What options do I have? Thanks!

kemasa
02-09-2012, 9:36 AM
It can be done. Since it should be a PPT (if the firearms were actually transferred to the other person), it would be $25 plus $10 per non-handgun, excluding muzzle-loaders as those are not considered firearms. The handguns would be $35 for each one. You do need to make sure that the SKS are CA legal. PPT are exempt from the certified list.

lhecker51
02-09-2012, 9:51 AM
It can be done. Since it should be a PPT (if the firearms were actually transferred to the other person), it would be $25 plus $10 per non-handgun, excluding muzzle-loaders as those are not considered firearms. The handguns would be $35 for each one. You do need to make sure that the SKS are CA legal. PPT are exempt from the certified list.

Thanks for the info! The SKS has an attached bayonet. No mods have been made. Is the attached fold-back bayonet legal?

Is that $25 plus $10 for the group of rifles or for each one?

kemasa
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
It is $25 plus $10 for each rifle or shotgun. So, if I counted correctly, it would be $155 ($25 + $130) for all the long guns and $350 for the handguns.

I am not 100% sure of the view on the bayonet. For a C&R, it needs to be there or it is not a C&R. At one point the bayonet had to be removed in order for the non-C&R SKS to be imported. I am not sure if adding it would be a problem. I would guess that the bayonet is not an issue at all though (each police officer and DA might have a very different view though).