PDA

View Full Version : M&P .45... do you have one?

Jason_2111
02-08-2012, 11:21 PM
So I've run an M&P in .40 and an M&P Compact for a while now, and I love the heck out of them.
Lately though, I've been thinking about switching over to .45... so naturally I'm gravitating towards the M&P .45, or the Glock 21. I'm not a fan of the Glock trigger though... I just like the feel of the M&P better.

My question to the peanut gallery is this: If you've got an M&P in .45, I'm sure you love it, but is there anything at all about it that you DON'T like?

I'm curious to hear any negative opinions from actual owners. :)

TiA!

Clutch-n-Throttle
02-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Love the gun. Don't like the Auto Forward of the Slide when you use moderate force to insert a new mag

jeffrice6
02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Hate plastic till I shot my buddy's M&P 45... Felt great in the hand & recoil was powder-puff! I'm eyeballing the .45 with the thumb safety.

MacOtac
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Bought on... went to a Magpul pistol course, put 2K flawless rounds through it and fell in Love. Now I own a full 9mm and compact 9mm M&P.

sholling
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I love my M&P45 but I did have the trigger done (pre-Apex) and added night sights. It's my bedside handgun.

For what it's worth I also have a M&P9c and a M&P40c.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Tots%201024/IMG_0297.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Tots%201024/IMG_0298.jpg

LBDamned
02-09-2012, 5:42 AM
Love mine. Favorite of six (usp, px4, 24/7, sp009, fmk).

I don't think you'll find many (if any) negative comments of significance.

RollingCode3
02-09-2012, 6:48 AM
If you hate the glock trigger, you will hate the M&P45 trigger too unless you add the APEX trigger kit in. That is another 100+ out of your wallet..... If you have very small hands, the M&P45 will not fit you even with you the small backstrap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1265.jpg

DDRH
02-09-2012, 7:54 AM
I had one, but gave it away to a close friend. He likes it. Very soft shooting...but I hated the trigger. Although before I gave it away, i'd already put 2-3K rnds through it,so the trigger was smoother. I prefer the glock and trigger.

Jack L
02-09-2012, 8:54 AM
I love my M&P45 but I did have the trigger done (pre-Apex) and added night sights. It's my bedside handgun.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Tots%201024/IMG_0297.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Tots%201024/IMG_0298.jpg

My M&P .45 looks just like this set up. I love the light and strobe. The grip on this is excellent and fits really great in the hand. I'd like to have the compact model too but for now I use a Glock 27 for CCW but that grip is not very friendly.

I really don't feel the recoil on the M&P and what there is is friendly due to the grip. I use it as my in house handgun hence the light for night use.

JazzFan
02-09-2012, 8:58 AM
The trigger pull on mine has a lot of slack in it compared to my other m&p's. I really want to get the apex trigger job!

ltlooper
02-09-2012, 9:12 AM
Just got one to replace a G30(which I liked but could not get comfortable with the grip as my hands are medium sized). I really like the M&P 45 with the small grip insert.

The trigger performance is taking some getting used to. Anyone else care to comment on the trigger reset? Doesn't seem as positive as the G30.

Does the Apex trigger job address this? Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks for any feedback.

Tee Why
02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I have on with night sights. At first it had 100% FTF jams, so I had to sent it to S&W for a month for them to replace the extractor and modify the barrel. So that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Once the gun has been back, I've put about 200 rounds through it without a malfunction. The trigger came back super gritty with no palpable reset on the trigger. Since then the trigger has smoothed out and I can feel a mushy reset. I finally can shoot this gun in a relatively tight group without shooting to the left now. I still do not like the trigger feel of this gun and prefer the trigger set up on my XD9 over this gun.

However, I think I can finally work with the gun. Initially I thought about adding the Apex sear but will hold off from it for now. This was suppose to be a cheap reliable gun for me, but buying a Night Sight version increased the cost and on principal I don't want to add more stuff/cost to make it shoot better. I'd rather get another 1911 and have a gun that shoots great instead.

On the positive side, imo it's grip design and ergonomics are much better than the XD and Glocks in my view. The grip has stippling on the front and back strap which works much better than the grenade checkering on the XD/Glocks and the design of the slide is so much better imo. As for shooting the gun, it points naturally and is one of the softest shooting 45 ACP's I've had.

Since you have two M&P's already, I'm sure you are familiar with how the trigger works, so it that isn't a factor, I can't see why you shouldn't get one.

DasBoost
02-09-2012, 3:24 PM
I love mine. Soft shooting, gets even better with Apex DCAEK, and not one FTE/FTF/FTFire in 1400 rds. Not even a hiccup. It's me bedside gun; TLR-1, DCAEK, and PDX1s and Hornady Critical Defenses. My first firearm purchased and it feels like it was made just for my hand.

JNunez23
02-09-2012, 4:52 PM
Just shot one today at Angeles shooting range. Guy next to me wanted to shoot my SR9, and he let me shoot his M&P .45. Felt great, shoots very smooth with little recoil. I want one now! lol

Gnome
02-09-2012, 5:04 PM
If you hate the glock trigger, you will hate the M&P45 trigger too unless you add the APEX trigger kit in. That is another 100+ out of your wallet..... If you have very small hands, the M&P45 will not fit you even with you the small backstrap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1265.jpg

Code3,

That is a nice looking backstrap. Are they after market, or did you do the stipling yourself?

ZX-10R
02-09-2012, 6:52 PM
Love my M&P 45. It was my first handgun and to this day it is also my carry gun when I travel home to NorCal and back from SoCal. It has been reliable, very accurate, and comfortable. I run the medium backstrap but like the large as well. It has been what I expected from a handgun and I also own a Colt 1911 and that says a lot. The only hit I have on it is I wish the texturing was a bit grippier...Not a biggie but this is one handgun I will keep for a while. I have a Draco I am working on an was going to replace the M&P 45 as my travel gun with the Draco but every time I shot the M&P I realize it is more than I need in a very nice package.

Glocks are hype especially people who buy it because others say so...They fit like crap in my hand and I was far more accurate with the M&P than the glock when I tried out handguns.

The hate will begin but the M&P 45 is worth having.

chiselchst
02-09-2012, 7:17 PM
I own both, and with the Apex trigger upgrade in the M&P, it's not even close...

LBDamned
02-09-2012, 7:33 PM
Love my M&P 45. It was my first handgun and to this day it is also my carry gun when I travel home to NorCal and back from SoCal. It has been reliable, very accurate, and comfortable. I run the medium backstrap but like the large as well. It has been what I expected from a handgun and I also own a Colt 1911 and that says a lot. The only hit I have on it is I wish the texturing was a bit grippier...Not a biggie but this is one handgun I will keep for a while. I have a Draco I am working on an was going to replace the M&P 45 as my travel gun with the Draco but every time I shot the M&P I realize it is more than I need in a very nice package.

Glocks are hype especially people who buy it because others say so...They fit like crap in my hand and I was far more accurate with the M&P than the glock when I tried out handguns.

no hate here - I agree with it all.

Ksmash01
02-09-2012, 8:40 PM
This thread makes me wish I hadn't sold my M&P45...:(

Tax season enables me to get another if I wanted, but I honestly have other things I want more. I don't really regret selling it because it enabled me to get what I wanted(M&P9L), and I have 2 nice 45s already. That said, if I got another 45, and it ended up being a S&W, it would be one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/108409_01_lg.jpg

P220
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
TiA![/QUOTE]
You can drop in a Apex Hard Sear, install a Warren/10-8 night sight, remove the Mag disconnect, you GTG, best striker-fired .45ACP IMO.
I can easily get a double tap like this, at 7-8 yards, see my target today, 10 rounds at 7 yards. you can't ask more for a 540bucks pistol.

Jason_2111
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I went in to Metal Dog Tactical today and tried one on for size. I would have picked it up, but the one they had has the manual safety... not my thing.
They said that they couldn't get the one I'm looking for new from S&W, out of stock, so I'll probably just pop up a WTB thread and cross my fingers.
(unless of course Valkyrie or Gun Vault has one laying around.)

I've got the Apex upgraded trigger in my full size .40, and yes, it's totally worth the money. With the medium backstrap, the ergonomics are spot on for my hands.

There's been some great feedback guys, thanks! I'm going to go ahead and grab one. :)

Ron-Solo
02-10-2012, 12:21 AM
I love mine, just wish ammo wasn't so much.

I got mine with night sights and three mags for $500 the day I retired. No mag disconnect so I had to get it before I turned in my LE credentials. Stupid roster.

That said, I have the 45, 9, and 9c. I love them all.

Jason_2111
02-10-2012, 4:20 PM
Actually... removing that magazine disconnector safety is trivial. Takes about 5 minutes, and costs about 2 bucks.

If you google for it, you'll find instructions with pictures. You basically use half of a magazine release spring from a 1911 to take the place of the mag disconnector lever. Piece of cake. ;)

P220
02-10-2012, 4:35 PM
Actually... removing that magazine disconnector safety is trivial. Takes about 5 minutes, and costs about 2 bucks.

If you google for it, you'll find instructions with pictures. You basically use half of a magazine release spring from a 1911 to take the place of the mag disconnector lever. Piece of cake. ;)

I am using a ball-pen spring to hold the tension of that sear disconnect : )
If you don't mind pull the trigger, just remove the sear disconnect as well.

LBDamned
02-10-2012, 4:47 PM
I went in to Metal Dog Tactical today and tried one on for size. I would have picked it up, but the one they had has the manual safety... not my thing.

the thumb safety is easily removed... S&W has plugs to fill the small gap if it bugs you...

I prefer the safety, but dont like ambi - so I removed, shaved the right side and replaced - will add Crimson Trace so the gap will be pretty much covered.

greybeard
02-10-2012, 5:11 PM
I actually like my trigger better on my M&P 45 then my M&P 9

DasBoost
02-10-2012, 5:36 PM
the thumb safety is easily removed... S&W has plugs to fill the small gap if it bugs you...

I prefer the safety, but dont like ambi - so I removed, shaved the right side and replaced - will add Crimson Trace so the gap will be pretty much covered.

Plus, I believe the Ambi-Thumb Safety doesn't have the Mag Disconnect; at least mine didn't. I'd rather have no disconnect at all and option to take out/reinstall the thumb safety. :)

LBDamned
02-10-2012, 7:21 PM
Plus, I believe the Ambi-Thumb Safety doesn't have the Mag Disconnect; at least mine didn't. I'd rather have no disconnect at all and option to take out/reinstall the thumb safety. :)

sadly mine has both :(

I plan to remove mag disconnect - just havent taken the time to do it.

pyromensch
02-10-2012, 8:33 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126493&d=1323839257

bought an m&p45c first...loved it so much, i bought it's big brother 6 months later.
the trigger doesn't matter to me, it's not a target pistol, it hits where i aim, with the exception of the compact, it shoots a little low, still have to figure that one out.

pyromensch
02-10-2012, 8:38 PM

looks like you also have a crimson trace...nice set up

DasBoost
02-10-2012, 8:45 PM
bought an m&p45c first...loved it so much, i bought it's big brother 6 months later.
the trigger doesn't matter to me, it's not a target pistol, it hits where i aim, with the exception of the compact, it shoots a little low, still have to figure that one out.

45C is on my list as next pistol!

zod
02-10-2012, 8:55 PM
45C is on my list as next pistol!

Saw one in the case at Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas last night.

77bawls
02-10-2012, 9:54 PM
I bought the 45 a couple years ago. I have my LTC so it was a little big for that. I started the 10 day wait on a 9c today.

Jason_2111
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM
The one that started it all for me was a 40c that a buddy sold to me for cheap. He had bought it and not told his wife, who promptly freaked out. He had to sell it fast, so I bought it. I was blown away by how accurate that little sucker was, so I ended up getting the full size.

I'll stick a picture of the new girl up here when she gets out of jail. :)

It never occurred to me to take out that sear disconnector too... that's a leftover from requirements that some LE organizations had. One less part.

Shenaniguns
02-11-2012, 7:50 AM

I love my M&P's but I hate when this guy repeats this nonsense about Glocks. Glocks have already proven themselves in every market successfully the past 20 plus years, Smith & Wesson has a ways to go with the M&P, especially with quality control that's hit or miss.

Striker
02-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Glock 9mms have worked in s-holes around the world for years. That's hardly hype. I get they don't work for you, but they do work for some.

OP; the M&P .45 is a fine weapon. Throw a full Apex duty or FSS trigger on it, stipple the grip or get a grip sleeve and you'll have a very nice .45. Have fun with it.

LBDamned
02-11-2012, 8:08 PM
^^ I agree with the "glocks work for some"... but those "some" often praise that pistol as the say all end all. Personally I'm not a fan.

I think most of the anti-Glock users are not so much glock-bashers as much as eye-rollers at the glock fanbois.

That's my feeling anyway. And yes, Glock feels significantly unworthy to me.

Of course opinions are like gluteus maximus holes, we all have one and they all stink (it's just that M&P holes stink less than glock holes :))

JohnGibson
02-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Great thread. I'm actually buying one soon. My dilemma is if I want or should get the 4" barrel or the 4.5" barrel. Also with thumb safety or none. Any insight on this would be helpful.

Thanks

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/109306_01_md.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/109307_01_md.jpg

LBDamned
02-11-2012, 9:41 PM
^^^ depends on use... imo, bedside = 4.5" - better accuracy and less recoil...

Thumb safety is personal preference... anti's tend to insist its worthless because safety is between your ears. I agree with the "safety mindset" but think it's foolish to insist against manual safety (if the use is not determined). I chose thumb safeties on all my go to guns because they are located in in areas that I feel more comfortable having the added security.

If you choose the thumb safety (for your specif needs - dont let others determine for you); you might consider shaving the right tab off (it is cumbersome, nuisance and not advantages imo) - yes, I know some will say that of the safety in general... again, base on your needs, comfort and desire. The dude that says you dont need a safety isnt going to use your pistol).

JohnGibson
02-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Thumb safety is personal preference... anti's tend to insist its worthless because safety is between your ears. I agree with the "safety mindset" but think it's foolish to insist against manual safety (if the use is not determined). I chose thumb safeties on all my go to guns because they are located in in areas that I feel more comfortable having the added security.

If you choose the thumb safety (for your specif needs - dont let others determine for you); you might consider shaving the right tab off (it is cumbersome, nuisance and not advantages imo) - yes, I know some will say that of the safety in general... again, base on your needs, comfort and desire. The dude that says you dont need a safety isnt going to use your pistol).

Thanks for the input on the safety and you have good points. I was thinking the MP45 will be a all purpose or general gun. Maybe I just want the 4" more because it's an offer roster gun that and I think it looks better and more easy to store.

Ksmash01
02-12-2012, 9:21 AM

It costs nothing if you purchased the Apex kit, and your sear assembly has the large diameter plunger set up. You can use your old(factory) sear spring to keep the sear deactivation lever in place when you remove the mag disconnect. Works perfectly.

I've done it with a shortened bic pen spring, purchased the $4 spring from Speed Shooter Specialties, and used the sear spring. There's no difference in the way they do the job.

DasBoost
02-12-2012, 9:31 AM
sadly mine has both :(

I plan to remove mag disconnect - just havent taken the time to do it.

:confused: I thought it was one or the other... I like having the manual safety and no mag-nanny. :)

Saw one in the case at Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas last night.

:eek: The future does not look good for my wallet.... :43:

I like the 4.5"; it looks better for some reason. As for the thumb safety: It's the perfect size for me where it is easy enough to use without moving thumb all that much but small enough it doesn't get get hit accidentally . Also, you may want to keep the right side if you're a lefty like I am lol.

Jason_2111
02-12-2012, 9:58 AM
People do get pretty rabid about choosing one over another. (Glock vs. M&P)
It's all preference... if someone says that one works better for them, or the ergonomics is better for them, or the trigger feels more appealing to them... you can't possibly argue with that.
Saying outright that one is better than the other as an absolute statement is just a way to start an argument and bring out the trolls/fanbois.

I never really thought though, about the difference between the 4" and the 4.5" models. Besides that roster thing being just plain silly, is there really that much difference in how they handle? For you guys that have shot both, how different are they? (The one I bought is a 4.5", but I might just have to pick up a 4" model as well. :) )

Jason_2111
02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Actually.. when it comes to the thumb safety for me, I know that I definitely don't want it as a matter of preference. With the exception of an old match 1911 that sits in the safe waiting to be rubbed with a diaper every month, none of my handguns have the thumb safety. Call it a training scar, but I've trained so much with guns that don't have it, I naturally assume it's just not there.
For battery of arms, I like all my girls to feel the same.

Thanks for the info on the hard sear spring! I've got an extra sitting right here, and I'll be changing that out on the new one when she gets out of jail.

Jason_2111
02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Great thread. I'm actually buying one soon. My dilemma is if I want or should get the 4" barrel or the 4.5" barrel. Also with thumb safety or none. Any insight on this would be helpful.

Thanks

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/109306_01_md.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/109307_01_md.jpg

Wait a sec... is it just me, or is there no difference in the frame between these two models??

I could just pick up a second slide/barrel/guide rod/spring. Pricey, but less so than buying a second gun. Especially being off-roster, meaning just-more-pricey.

I'll pop an email off to S&W and see what they say about any diff's.

trendar5
02-12-2012, 5:21 PM
I have run my M&P compact 4" slide on a full-size frame, no problem. It is the same slide on the comact 8-round gun as the mid-size 10-round gun. By having a full-size and a compact, you also have the parts for a mid-size when you swap out the slide. You can't run a 4.5" slide on the compact frame, but I don't know why you would want to.

As for feel, I think there is quite a difference in the feel and balance, in favor of the 4" slide on the full-size frame (the mid-size gun.) I know only 1/2" should not make so much of a difference, but to me it does. That said, if there was no such thing as a 4" slide, I'd be happy with the 4.5" slide.

zod
02-12-2012, 6:09 PM
I have the 45 midsize. I went off this review (http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?643-M-amp-P45-Review-by-Hilton-Yam-(10-8)) by Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance. No regrets here. Waiting to get more rounds through her before making a decision on getting one of the Apex kits. I also have an M&P 9c.

DasBoost
02-12-2012, 6:51 PM
I have the 45 midsize. I went off this review (http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?643-M-amp-P45-Review-by-Hilton-Yam-(10-8)) by Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance. No regrets here. Waiting to get more rounds through her before making a decision on getting one of the Apex kits. I also have an M&P 9c.

I had about 900 rounds through my before I put the Apex kit in; trigger was still vastly improved by the kit. Waiting is a 50/50.

Called Valkyrie Arms on my lunch today and got a quote on the M&P45C; called copes about the AES on pre-order and they're sold out so the M&P is looking good. lol

zod
02-12-2012, 8:00 PM
I had about 900 rounds through my before I put the Apex kit in; trigger was still vastly improved by the kit. Waiting is a 50/50.

Called Valkyrie Arms on my lunch today and got a quote on the M&P45C; called copes about the AES on pre-order and they're sold out so the M&P is looking good. lol

Looks like you may have a 45C in your near future. :D

DasBoost
02-12-2012, 8:48 PM
Looks like you may have a 45C in your near future. :D

I know. The next 3 guns I am looking at have been AES10B, 357 or 44 levergun, and M&P45C. AES is out for time being and M&P and levergun are neck and neck.

I have been waiting to see how the FSS has been received and reviews but haven't seen many as well.

pyromensch
02-12-2012, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the input on the safety and you have good points. I was thinking the MP45 will be a all purpose or general gun. Maybe I just want the 4" more because it's an offer roster gun that and I think it looks better and more easy to store.

Wait a sec... is it just me, or is there no difference in the frame between these two models??

I could just pick up a second slide/barrel/guide rod/spring. Pricey, but less so than buying a second gun. Especially being off-roster, meaning just-more-pricey.

I'll pop an email off to S&W and see what they say about any diff's.

the 45c has a 4" barrel, and it fits the full size, neither of mine C, or fullsize, have thumb safeties, if you go with the fullsize, a half inch doesn't make a difference in anything, but maybe velocity. recoil, (muzzle flip), because of it's low bore axis, is "seemingly" less than a sig 226 in 40S&W

4fifth
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Quick question for the nor cal guys were are you getting your 45 mid and 45c SSE from? I tried were I got my xdm from but they cant get the M&p 45c.

zod
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Quick question for the nor cal guys were are you getting your 45 mid and 45c SSE from? I tried were I got my xdm from but they cant get the M&p 45c.

I ordered my midsize from Grab A Gun (online from Texas), and had them ship it to Valkyrie Arms (local ship in Milpitas that performed the SSE).

4fifth
02-13-2012, 9:48 AM
Thanks guys