PDA

View Full Version : vz24 question

1986travis
02-08-2012, 7:12 PM
Does anyone know why the word "control" is stamped into my vz24 stock? I tried doing a internet search, with no luck. I'm thinking about selling it, but would like to know if having "control" stamped in it makes it more unique. Any information would be helpful.

TRAP55
02-08-2012, 8:18 PM
The word "control" is the same in Slavic as it is in English.
Your rifle, or at least the stock was, the control rifle in a group of rifles, that got a cosmo bath, and placed in long term storage. When they wanted to check on the condition, that was the one that got pulled for the check. Anyhow, that's the story, it's never been substantiated.
Sometimes you'll see one with "instructie" (think that's how it's spelled) stamped on the stock, that would have been a training rifle.

McNally M.
02-09-2012, 8:38 PM
The word "control" is the same in Slavic as it is in English.
Your rifle, or at least the stock was, the control rifle in a group of rifles, that got a cosmo bath, and placed in long term storage. When they wanted to check on the condition, that was the one that got pulled for the check. Anyhow, that's the story, it's never been substantiated.
Sometimes you'll see one with "instructie" (think that's how it's spelled) stamped on the stock, that would have been a training rifle.

What TRAP55 says here is 100% true. Not that I'm really acquainted with how the Czechs kept their rifles in "check," pun not intended. But I do speak the language and the word is written the same in both ours and there's. If control in this usage is anything like an experimental control then it would make sense that it served as a model for other rifles.

But if that were the case and your rifle in never left storage then I'd expect the condition to be a little better.

Does the stock match the receiver?

1986travis
02-09-2012, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the information TRAP55, I would have never guessed that’s what it meant.
To McNally M. while the stock is not in the best of shape, the receiver is much better even though it is scrubbed and it does have matching numbers.