PDA

View Full Version : too late to register pre-ban

imakeboxes
03-28-2007, 7:28 AM
a friend of mine bought an ak before the ban, but never registered it when the time came (said he was afraid they would take it away).

he says he has the dros papers that can verify date sold, name, and serial number.

can he register it now? or maybe modify it to comply with 922r?

Cpl_Peters
03-28-2007, 7:32 AM
it is too late to register have him destroy it, are remove it from the state to be legal. If he has out of state family that would be the best thing for him to do. Otherwise he needs to break out the blow tourch and cut that thing up.

I believe he can also surrender it to Law Enforcement without fear of penalty, not sure on that one though. One thing for sure though is he needs to get rid of it.

!@#$
03-28-2007, 7:35 AM
if it's an off list reciever just remove the sb23 parts.

imakeboxes
03-28-2007, 7:37 AM
what about mag lock and mmg? would that make it legal?

imakeboxes
03-28-2007, 7:37 AM
how can i find out if its off list?

!@#$
03-28-2007, 7:39 AM
use the search feature or post the make and model here.

69Mach1
03-28-2007, 7:43 AM
a friend of mine bought an ak before the ban, but never registered it when the time came (said he was afraid they would take it away).

he says he has the dros papers that can verify date sold, name, and serial number.

can he register it now? or maybe modify it to comply with 922r?

He cannot register it now. It has nothing to do with 922r.
Ask him what the receiver says and check the DOJ list for the make and model of the rifles:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

By the way, if it's on the list by make and model, don't post that it is.

KenpoProfessor
03-28-2007, 7:54 AM
If it happens to be on the list, first, don't say squat. Then, get a drill and disassemble the receiver from the trunions and trigger guard. Next, remove fire control group, then cut receiver in many pieces and purchase a nice NEW receiver from NDS or other source. Reassemble CA compliant and have fun with your new Offlist Homeland defense self loading rifle.

Have a great Kenpo day

Cyde

imakeboxes
03-28-2007, 8:05 AM
not sure what make, model is. i will ask. if it is off list, can he use the high caps that came with it? how does one prove that the mags are pre-ban. i've been doing a lot of homework on this, but came up flat.

DirtySanchez
03-28-2007, 8:14 AM
well if it is infact an OLL then there are a couple of ways I think.
I believe there is a Monsterman grip that you can use (I could be wrong) if not then just remove the pistol grip and the flash hinder, then he can use his hi-cap mags. As long as he owned the hi-caps before 2000 then they are fine.

I am by no means an expert, so if I am wrong i'm sure someone will correct me. But this is my understanding from reading through the posts here.

moulton
03-28-2007, 8:17 AM
not sure what make, model is. i will ask. if it is off list, can he use the high caps that came with it? how does one prove that the mags are pre-ban. i've been doing a lot of homework on this, but came up flat.

if he gets an offlist reciever on it he can remove the Pistol grip and replace that with a monsterman grip. he would also need to remove any flashiders or other evil features to make it so he can use detachable highcaps

schizrade2
03-28-2007, 8:21 AM

Then you are not reading. Use the search.

leelaw
03-28-2007, 8:46 AM
In order to help you further, we need to know:

Manuacturer of rifle:
Model of rifle:
Features of rifle: (pistol grip, thumbhole stock, collapsible/folding stock, forward pistol grip, flash hider, grenade launcher)

Cpl_Peters
03-28-2007, 9:37 AM
it would be best not to post model and make here, on a public website. Check the DOJ list. If listed, take apart and destroy the reciever (unless he wants to ship it out of state.) get and OLL and build it featureless aka MMG style if he wants to use the hi-caps. If not listed.... take off pistol grip, or any other evil features and slap on a MMG

bwiese
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Whatever it is, the rifle as stands should NOT be transported by whoever owns it.

Immediately parts should be removed from it - flash hider (if any), folding stock, pistol grip, gas piston.

While this may not erase the past crime of illegal possession it does set the bar higher.

Consult the DOJ's list of banned-by-name guns http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter40.pdf

If the gun make/model combo is not on there, the receiver can be retained and assembled into a working rifle with a compliant parts suite (either a fixed 10rd magazine, or no evil features and a MonsterMan grip which isn't a pistol grip, or rendered into manually-cycled nonsemiauto status by closing the gas port and removing the gas piston).

If it is listed get all the parts off the receiver, save 'em for another build on an unlisted 'off-list' receiver, and destroy the receiver. You could also make arrangements with an attorney to surrender the receiver.

Steyr_223
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
What Bill and LeeLaw said plus

He may have a way out if he has an OLL AK, say an SA-85m, it only has the thumbhole stock as an evil feature. Just remove the THS or fill it in.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=34397&highlight=gunwiki

Is that correct Bill?

Fjold
03-28-2007, 2:06 PM
it would be best not to post model and make here, on a public website. Check the DOJ list. If listed, take apart and destroy the reciever (unless he wants to ship it out of state.)

Do not ship the receiver anywhere, that is against the law.

thedrickel
03-28-2007, 3:08 PM
If I had a listed AK receiver and I wanted to get rid of it, it would be over with the hacksaw in about 5 minutes. Then get an off-list receiver and build it up again following the features rules.