PDA

View Full Version : When can I order pistol upper for 80% build?

stix213
02-08-2012, 7:15 PM
So I'm planning to build an AR pistol from an 80% lower. Ordered the 80% last night. My question is at what point can I order the below 16" upper? Can I order it now that my 80% lower is on the way? Can I order it once the 80% is in hand? Or should I wait until I take the lower all the way to 100% before even ordering the upper? (I suspect its the last one, but I actually don't know - would be lame if they have a long wait from order to delivery :()

I don't have any other AR pistols, and I have a couple AR rifles. So this is in regards to SBR constructive possession issues both state and fed.

Thanks

bwiese
02-08-2012, 9:10 PM
I think you should have a working, clear-cut functional lower just to be safe.

Remember to build up your pistol into a dimensionally-compliant single-shot non-AW pistol (BulletButton + 0rd filler device locked into magwell).

707electrician
02-08-2012, 9:20 PM
I would complete the lower before obtaining a short barreled upper.

By the way, if you need to borrow a sled to make it SS compliant first you can use mine

wchutt
02-08-2012, 9:27 PM
bwiese,
A suggestion sir, I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky in the "gun smithing how to" section clearly giving the do's and don'ts of a pistol build.
Thanks!

stix213
02-08-2012, 9:35 PM
I think you should have a working, clear-cut functional lower just to be safe.

Ah, disappointing but not surprised.....

By the way, if you need to borrow a sled to make it SS compliant first you can use mine

My plan was to sacrifice a mag to make permanently 0 round, but since you live practically next door I might take you up on that :D

gun toting monkeyboy
02-09-2012, 8:31 AM
Why make the mag a permanant 0 mag? Why can't you simply modify it by taking the spring out and filling it with rolled up cardboard or something? I wasn't aware that it needed to be a permanent thing. I still have the bobsled from my first one from Anvil Arms, but I remember several of the stores that were selling them back then recommended the cardboard trick.

-Mb

Rockit
02-09-2012, 8:35 AM
Why make the mag a permanant 0 mag? Why can't you simply modify it by taking the spring out and filling it with rolled up cardboard or something? I wasn't aware that it needed to be a permanent thing. I still have the bobsled from my first one from Anvil Arms, but I remember several of the stores that were selling them back then recommended the cardboard trick.

-Mb
That was what I did. Found a scrap of wood and cut to fit sans spring. Took 5 minutes, free and worked awesome.

707electrician
02-09-2012, 9:28 AM
Stix, where are you planning on finishing your 80% lower?

itisagoodname
02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Order the upper last or if building your own order the barrel last. My barrel is 6 weeks out. So i now have 6 weeks to finish the lower.

So I'm planning to build an AR pistol from an 80% lower. Ordered the 80% last night. My question is at what point can I order the below 16" upper? Can I order it now that my 80% lower is on the way? Can I order it once the 80% is in hand? Or should I wait until I take the lower all the way to 100% before even ordering the upper? (I suspect its the last one, but I actually don't know - would be lame if they have a long wait from order to delivery :()

I don't have any other AR pistols, and I have a couple AR rifles. So this is in regards to SBR constructive possession issues both state and fed.

Thanks

stix213
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

-Mb

Truthfully I hadn't spent much focus on the 0 mag details. I just knew I needed a 0 round mag for a pistol build, so my first idea was to epoxy 10 empty casings into my crappiest 10 round mag. If it doesn't need to be permanent, then that certainly makes things easier.

stix213
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Stix, where are you planning on finishing your 80% lower?

In my garage :D

stix213
02-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Order the upper last or if building your own order the barrel last. My barrel is 6 weeks out. So i now have 6 weeks to finish the lower.

Ah, so if the delivery time is very slow from where I get my upper (going with a complete upper) then I just need to get my lower done prior to actually receiving the upper? Getting an upper from Alexander Arms, and I've heard they have around a month or so lag time.

bwiese
02-09-2012, 1:07 PM
Truthfully I hadn't spent much focus on the 0 mag details. I just knew I needed a 0 round mag for a pistol build, so my first idea was to epoxy 10 empty casings into my crappiest 10 round mag. If it doesn't need to be permanent, then that certainly makes things easier.

The only time mag restriction needs to be 'permanent' is if a hicap mag is being reduced to an under-10rd mag.

I'd also add that using hicap mag parts to form a zero-round mag should also be similarly 'permanently' created.

For 0rd filler mag any 5 or 10rd mag will do and put a block in it, which makes it similar to a 'sled'. Note that the follower may need to wobulate a bit (~1/4 round travel/wiggle) to allow carrier to move gracefully.

707electrician
02-09-2012, 1:37 PM
In my garage :D

You have a mill or are you doing it on a drill press? Would you be willing to help a local guy finish an 80% lower :D

stix213
02-09-2012, 1:45 PM
You have a mill or are you doing it on a drill press? Would you be willing to help a local guy finish an 80% lower :D

I ordered the jig and adapters from here that are made specifically for use with a drill press:
http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

Never done one before, so let me make sure this doesn't turn into a complete disaster before I start helping you ;)

itisagoodname
02-09-2012, 2:24 PM
Thats how i have it planned. Forces me to get that 80% done. Only thing they could get you for would be constructive possession but not until you have the parts in hand.

Using a JD Machine 80% lower and a TM Jig. found that i need .010" shims on either side of the reciever to get it exactly centered. Understandable since its meant to be used on TM 80% lowers.

My drill press is still in storage after helping move my parents and there is no room here at my apartment. Still looking for a shop to use or just wait til i can lug that drill press somewhere where i can use it.

Ah, so if the delivery time is very slow from where I get my upper (going with a complete upper) then I just need to get my lower done prior to actually receiving the upper? Getting an upper from Alexander Arms, and I've heard they have around a month or so lag time.

TangoCharlie
02-10-2012, 1:36 PM
To be clear, Constructive Possession is not a charge. They use CP to charge you with actual possession of an unregistered SBR.

DProb
02-17-2012, 8:28 AM
so after finishing the 80% lower and assembling the upper can u use a 10 round mag????also ive heard from a lot of gun shops 'rifle gear' that you need to voluntarly register the lower Because its a pistol. if it was a rifle "16" upper" you would not have to voluntarly register it. anyone else here that

stix213
02-17-2012, 8:58 AM
so after finishing the 80% lower and assembling the upper can u use a 10 round mag????also ive heard from a lot of gun shops 'rifle gear' that you need to voluntarly register the lower Because its a pistol. if it was a rifle "16" upper" you would not have to voluntarly register it. anyone else here that

I know that there is no requirement to register a home built pistol. I probably will though just to make a possible LEO encounter go smoother.