PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Dangerous.

aileron
03-28-2007, 6:26 AM
Wow.... Ignorance is scary.

http://post-journal.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=13859

Allowing Rifles For Hunting Is A Scary Thought

3/27/2007 - To the Readersí Forum: As a landowner in Chautauqua County, I am amazed that anyone is even considering the use of rifles in deer hunting here.

Sunday hunting was bad enough.

Does anyone else actually live on their land and actually go outside during deer season? Rifles have several times the range of shotguns (which means the hunter must absolutely consider where his bullet will end up, after it does, or does not, hit that great big buck). Stories from nearby Warren County, Pa., of bullets in homes, people and animals winged by stray shots, etc. scare me pretty badly. Cattle, horses, dogs, and people, including kids, need to go outside. Do we really make that much MONEY from deer hunting??

And, yes, Iíd rather not hit a deer with my vehicle, and I kind of enjoy venison, but enjoying LIFE in Chautauqua County seems more important. Iím sure there are safer means to control the deer population. Perhaps adding extra tags to landowner shotgun hunting would encourage outside landowners and increase land prices, kill more deer, and less damage to people and their animals, who live in, and try to enjoy our county. Nancy Burlingame, Ripley

edwardm
03-28-2007, 6:50 AM
How is that ignorance? Many of the flatland states have, for decades, mandated shotguns for deer hunting instead of rifles. And for the exact reasons that woman hints at - bullet travel and questionable backstop.

Out here in CA, odds are unless you're shooting up to the top of a ridge for an animal, you're going to be shooting in such broken terrain that a miss isn't going to get very far. Out in some places, like southern Illinois, that's just not the case. That's why you see rifled slug barrels and scopes for shotguns. Some folks will even opt for buckshot and pattern their barrels prior to hunting season. It's just good safety sense, really.

Wow.... Ignorance is scary.

http://post-journal.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=13859

AJAX22
03-28-2007, 7:11 AM
I don't doubt that she means well, but it sounds like she wants hunting to be a privilage for the landed aristocracy.

artherd
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Uh, rifles go very very very far. a .22LR can be dangerous at over ONE MILE.

A .30-06 can still injure or kill well past it's supersonic accurate 'effective range'.

scottj
03-28-2007, 5:38 PM
As I recall from my 7th grade hunter education class, hunting with a rifle in Ohio is out.

Scott

aileron
03-28-2007, 5:46 PM
I do understand how far bullets can go... but one is suppose to

1. No what your shooting at and have a clear shot.

2. No what is behind your target.

Even when I do shoot on flat land. I usually am shooting into something, I dont fire into the air (unless its into a hillside across a canyon or something like that.) Most bullets I have fired go into the ground where I can see them.

Now I dont normally do really far shots... 300, 400 yards and beyond. So I can understand people fearing stray rounds at that range and beyond on flat land.

BE THAT AS IT MAY.... edwardm's comments on questionable backstop make sense. So I re-tract my comment about ignorance.

I dont live in flatland areas so I will take the blame for not understanding their problem. Still... I'd rather shoot a rifle and would want too.

Also because of all the banning I have been forced to endure in being a Kalifornia native. I suffer from (PTBS) Post Traumatic Ban Syndrome. So I am in agreement with AJAX22 and still dont trust her concerns are legit.

But if she is legit, and it is a problem. I can actually say I agree with this form of g*n c*ntr*l. I cannot believe I just said that.

Uh.... . . . So there. :)

jumbopanda
03-28-2007, 7:04 PM
But but but a shotgun sprays, like, a handful of bullets! :rolleyes:

M. Sage
03-28-2007, 7:18 PM
I used to live in the rifle zone in Michigan, but hunted deer in the shotgun zone, and just BARELY inside that. The different zones are for the above reasons.

It's good when everybody remembers to check their backdrop. Unfortunately, you get people that are extremely excited when they finally get a shot at a deer. First shot I took at a deer, I wound up missing horribly. I forgot to put my cheek on my shotgun. Point shooting at 40 yards doesn't work well, despite what some people think about using a shottie. :p

The intent of what she's saying does play a part, though. I can't get behind anybody who's being dishonest, even if the results are for the better.

Parag
03-28-2007, 8:21 PM
But but but a shotgun sprays, like, a handful of bullets! :rolleyes:

Only if it has a pistol-grip!:)

-- Parag