PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a high quality air rifle, suggestions?

OHOD
02-08-2012, 5:02 PM
I want to buy a very nice high quality air rifle for discrete target practice and such.

But I don't know much about them.

Co2
Pump
break
and etc...

Let's see what you got and recommend.

Ripon83
02-08-2012, 5:05 PM
Get ready for about 3 months of research (then I gave up). I wanted one too....I figured pump because I was looking for something I'd never run out of.....went back to archery.

Chaparral
02-08-2012, 5:13 PM
I have a Gamo Whisper that ive abused for a good five years now. Its accurate and has been linked to probably 150 to 200 prematurely deceased squirrels, several dozen raccoons, the majority of which were taken with a single shot to the eyesocket, heart or braincase thru the the lower mandible.

Its a break barrel spring piston design but there are folks who can replace the spring mechanism with a pneumatic one that is easier on the parts, shooter and is also quieter.

cudakidd
02-08-2012, 5:17 PM
I have a old school Feinwerkbau 124...

First, single stroke cocking is the norm. The thing to look for is cocking effort. Normally the more Velocity, the more effort.

These use either a side lever or barrel lever to work

Pumps like the old school Benjamin or Sheridan still work, but not the same velocities...

Mine is 900 fps and takes 18 pounds. I have seen those with higher velocity having a much higher cocking effort.

Second, what do you want it for? Hunting? You might want a larger caliber pellet, .22 or even .25 Target shooting? .177 is fine.

Precharged have a list of requirements all their own, you can use a scuba tank or a pump. The pump requires a lot of effort. Much higher cost for these as well.

The current Market leaders are GAMO. They have been around for years and make a number of different models.

Stay away from the really cheap Chinese ones sold at Gun shows. You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps!

Chaparral
02-08-2012, 5:17 PM
Oh, and mine really has been abused. Its been dropped at least a half dozen times, landed on the scope when it slid in the closet at least 3 times and left out in the rain two or three times as well.

beckty
02-08-2012, 5:26 PM
Airforce airguns. I have the condor in .22. It's a beast

Rule .308
02-08-2012, 5:36 PM
Really need to know what your budget is. One man's high quality is another man's garbage. The Crosman Marauder can be had for less than $500.00 all set up but, you will need either a scuba tank or a pump to charge it with. The Marauder aka the M-Rod offers a fully shrouded barrel, multi shot bolt action repeater, .177, .22, .25 calibers, excellent accuracy out of the box, all that and it is American made.

There are quite a few other manufacturers out there that produce similars guns but they are all going to be considerably more money.

Go spend some time at the James Kitching Yellow Board, figure out how much money you want to spend, then double it, and buy what appeals to you. If you are in So. Cal you can stop by and pick Tim McMurray's brain at Mac1 airguns in Gardena, check out his website too.

OHOD
02-08-2012, 5:47 PM
Really need to know what your budget is. One man's high quality is another man's garbage. The Crosman Marauder can be had for less than $500.00 all set up but, you will need either a scuba tank or a pump to charge it with. The Marauder aka the M-Rod offers a fully shrouded barrel, multi shot bolt action repeater, .177, .22, .25 calibers, excellent accuracy out of the box, all that and it is American made.

There are quite a few other manufacturers out there that produce similars guns but they are all going to be considerably more money.

Go spend some time at the James Kitching Yellow Board, figure out how much money you want to spend, then double it, and buy what appeals to you. If you are in So. Cal you can stop by and pick Tim McMurray's brain at Mac1 airguns in Gardena, check out his website too.

I'll check it out, thanks.
Price range for me around $300-$350.

TMcC
02-08-2012, 5:50 PM
I want to buy a very nice high quality air rifle for discrete target practice and such.

But I don't know much about them.

Co2
Pump
break
and etc...

Let's see what you got and recommend.

I've had an old Sheridan pump action pistol for at least 25 years. Accurate, powerful, loud and has been pretty reliable. Bought a couple of newer rifle models in the last 10 years, can't really compare to the old school pistol. (It was built back when quality was important.)

The crossman CO2 I bought does not have much power, but it holds 12 shots so that's a plus. Our Gammo (whisper model, I think) is fairly powerful, single shot break barrel. Depending on ammo, it can be slightly louder that shooting the 10/22 with aguila colibri primer only rounds. The break barrel rifles are fairly cheap and good for general purpose. There are a new breed of PCP (not that kind) air riles that are supposed to be really nice, but I've not ventured down that path yet.

Others with more experience can chime in, list in ascending order - power (and price).
*CO-2
*Pump / Break Barrel
*Pre-Charged Pneumatic

Good Luck. Just remember, you likely won't be packing a scuba tank (to charge your pcp rifle) in your BOB and CO2 does not last forever. Pump action or break barrel with some spare O-rings, and other parts might be good to have.

Tim

Madpyro
02-08-2012, 6:27 PM
I'll check it out, thanks.
Price range for me around $300-$350.

You could get a REALLY NICE Gamo and about a gazillion pellets for that much Ohod. I've had my Gamo for years, can't go wrong there.

Darklyte27
02-08-2012, 6:29 PM
do you have 2k$ to spend?

http://edgun.ru/en/index.php

OHOD
02-08-2012, 6:45 PM
You could get a REALLY NICE Gamo and about a gazillion pellets for that much Ohod. I've had my Gamo for years, can't go wrong there.

I was looking at that Whisper.

hsiehjohn
02-08-2012, 6:56 PM
A Daystate will set you back about $2,000 .... and that's before you put a scope on it.

HK4113
02-08-2012, 7:01 PM
check out a rws model 48, 52, or 54.

http://s1.picofile.com/file/6287854124/r54.jpg

the quality doesn't get much higher. I have one in .22 and couldn't be happier. read some reviews about them online

ojisan
02-08-2012, 7:10 PM
The hot thing these days is the break-barrel pellet guns.
These shoot regular lead pellets right near 1,000 fps.
These run from $150-500.
Really nice are the German made Beemans at the upper end of this price range....firearms quality.
The Gamos are good, I have a springer Whisper in .177....about $150.
The trend is away from the spring powered guns to the gas piston guns.
The Whisper is available with a gas piston for around $250.
The best bargain right now is the Bemjamin Regal NP (Nitrogen Gas Piston).
Very nicely made, almost as quiet as a Whisper, about $170.

NaClAddict
02-08-2012, 7:17 PM
I bought the benjamin regal np .22 on sale at big 5 for $150 with a fixed 4x scope and rings. Shoots 3 shot groups in one ragged hole at 20 yds. Also eats up cheap crossman pellets. Very quiet since you mentioned backyard shooting. Trigger sucks, replaced it with a GRT III for $32. My friend kills turkey with this set up. Check www.pyramydair.com for any air gun questions and research.

frigginchi
02-08-2012, 7:20 PM
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

wash
02-08-2012, 7:24 PM
For survival I would want a big bore pre-charged pneumatic.

Most inexpensive air rifles fire .177 or .22 caliber pellets that are very light weight. Good for maybe a rabbit.

If you want something suitable for large game, I would want at least 100 grain pellets and hopefully more than 1,000 fps. A .30 cal PCP could probably do that.

If it was just plinking or varmint shooting I would have said to get a .22 cal Chinese side cocker for about $160 or so.

Side cockers have good performance and they don't take forever to pump up but you do need some strength.

PCPs (pre-charged pneumatic) store more than one shot of air and can drive pellets faster than pump or CO2 rifles. They can be recharged by a special pump or the scuba tank thing.

Be sure to look at foreign guns. I think most of the big bore stuff is Korean or Russian or something.

The Chinese make some nice guns and even the $20 break barrels work but if you go Chinese, look for higher end.

Jeepers
02-08-2012, 8:15 PM
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

tiko
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I have CO2, pump, precharged and break barrel airguns for years, shoot about 200 of .177 a week. The funiest ones are CO2, but the most accurate are break barrel. Buy one in the range of $300 would be fine.

SVRider
02-08-2012, 11:31 PM
OK, price (you mentioned $300~350) is the first big step.

Need more info.

1) What is your primary purpose (only short distance target shooting, say 10~20yds or small pest hunting out to 40~50yds)?

2) Is power or silence more critical to you?

3) Do you have a preference in power plant? (CO2/PCP you can work pretty much like a bolt action or semi-auto rimfire but generally the loudest, SSP you will have to cock the action each shot (cock the spring), pump is the most work where you would have to pump multiple strokes for each shot, but tend to be the least expensive).

You would be surprised at the capability of modern airguns (as well as the costs). Some of the most expensive "guns" I own are airguns. The most beautifully stocked rifle I own is an airgun in a Grade 3 Turkish walnut stock. The quietest guns I own are airguns (legally suppressed since they are not firearms) yet about 22 short power. Best group I have shot was with an airgun (5-shots, 0.093" C-T-C at 23yds).

These are not the Daisy's and Crosman's we grew up shooting....

Turk
02-09-2012, 7:42 AM
Air Guns of Arizona . Awesome people with lots of info. The precharge are nice guns the marauder and discovery with the rotary clips are nice but I know they had problems with them when they first came out.
My favorite is the Beeman kodiak or Webley Patriot in .25. It's a beast. RWS is hard to be beat for the newer cockers just pick your poison 177, .22, .25 caliber. Im a 25 or 22 guy myself

Librarian
02-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Just because it made me curious...

A nice place to compare the rifles is http://www.umarexusa.com/catalog/22-caliber-Air-Rifles,48.htm - that's the .22 page.

Can't speak to prices. I mean the prices are there, but good? bad? I dunno.

k1dude
02-09-2012, 1:09 PM
What do you consider high quality?

I was recently in the market for a new air rifle because my old Gamo Hunter 220 break-barrel in .177 was just too loud. I narrowed it down to the Remington NPSS (a version of Crosman's Nitro Piston) in .22. I chose the Remington version over the Crosman simply because it was on sale ($249). The nice thing is the Remington version is also made wholly in the USA by Crosman. I believe Crosman's version is made overseas.

I eliminated the Gamo Whisper and the Stoeger X20 Supressor because the Remington NPSS is supposedly quieter even without a built-in suppressor. Evidently .22 air rifles are generally more quiet than .177 air rifles.

I don't know if quiet is a requirement for you or not. If your budget is tight, I understand the Crosman Titan Nitro Piston sells for something like $149 at Walmart and is supposed to be pretty good and relatively quiet. Nitro Piston technology with a barrel shroud (the thing that goes up!) has the reputation of being more quiet than other comparable springers.

I prefer break-barrels because they are easier to operate (1 stroke) IMHO than a pump (up to 10 strokes). The break-barrel stroke also seems to take less energy to crank than a pump due to the leverage the long barrel provides. They also don't require an air compressor or CO2 cartridge which complicate getting the gun into action quickly. But pump guns allow you to tailor the amount of energy used which can be useful in certain circumstances. So I have an inexpensive Crosman 760 for those times.

Most any quality break-barrel (Gamo, Diana, Benjamin, Beeman and Crosman come to mind) will be powerful and accurate. You can get one for relatively little money too ($130 to $250). But if you want true state-of-the-art competition type airguns, then the sky is the limit.

mindwip
02-09-2012, 9:07 PM
Crosman Titan Nitro Piston

Been reading reviews on it and people say dont hold the front end tightly or lay if on somthing solid because it decreases accuracy, why is that?

What would you recommend for a decent .22 gas piston with its biggest feature being quiet for 200 or less?

Tyson
02-09-2012, 9:16 PM
I love my RWS, I've had it since I was an early teenager. The rifle is now 15+ years old and still built like a tank, accurate, and reliable. Everything is still tight it fits like a glove.

NoHeavyHitter
02-09-2012, 9:18 PM
I shoot an RWS Diana .350 magnum that is in .22 caliber. Mine is a German-made gun of spectacular quality. It's a spring-piston design, so you only cock it once, load the pellet and flip it (the barrel) closed.

Things have improved since I bought mine and they now have pre-charged piston units that are much more efficient. Be sure to look at those - and if you find a gun that cost a little more, save up for it. Don't buy second best only to have to go out and get the better one..

Futhermore, read up on pellets. The brand and quality of the pellets you select will make a huge difference on performance.

SVRider
02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Crosman Titan Nitro Piston

Been reading reviews on it and people say dont hold the front end tightly or lay if on somthing solid because it decreases accuracy, why is that?

What would you recommend for a decent .22 gas piston with its biggest feature being quiet for 200 or less?

It is still basically a spring piston gun (only it uses gas as the spring). Spring piston guns "jump" when you shoot them. They basically have reverse recoil. The rifle jumps forward when the piston slams forward. They can be very accurate, but are generally more hold sensitive. There is a technique to shooting spring guns accurately.

If you are looking for a .22, it sounds like you are looking to so some hunting. Hunting requires some power and as you increase power, rifles start getting louder. A piston gun will sound very loud to you (since your head is against the stock you really hear/feel all the vibration and noise going on), but isn't as bad to bystanders. Still not silent, but not too bad.

Next problem is going to be price. You'll be a hard pressed to find a good quality, quiet, piston gun at the $200 price point. See if you can find a good deal on a used Beeman R7. Not real powerful, but that's why they are pretty quiet.

If you want something quiet with more power, you could look at something like a BSA Lightning XL which has an integral shroud (suppressor), but it's better than 2x your price point:

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/BSA/Lightning%20XL.GIF

Airguns of Arizona is a great online airgun dealer with a wide range of inventory. Also check Pyramid Air....

AwakeAware1016
02-10-2012, 3:04 AM
My dad had a Benjamin pump, .22 cal. And i used to soda bottle caps at 80 yds. Routinely. Very good quality. My brother still has it.

q3131a
02-11-2012, 2:22 AM
Whatever happened to Beeman? I remember back in the day they were the name in quality airguns.

sammy
02-11-2012, 9:03 AM
I have a Beeman R1 in .177. I have many thousands of shots through it. The nice thing is every shot is the same. Once it is zeroed it does not move. My buddies would set up plastic green army men out to 50 yards and knock them off with ease. It is too easy with a quality Beeman. The best part of the whole system is the 2 stage trigger. It breaks as cleanly as my 1911. Cry once and get a quality gun that you can pass to your children.

C.Bronson
02-11-2012, 2:27 PM
Well......Im an airgun nut job! Have a ton of them. It all depends on what your budget is? I have some 1,ooo dollar rigs. I have some 200 dollar rigs. I have a nice RWS(Diana) M52 for sale or trade right now on calguns non fireare sales. Quality is the name of the game...German! I like .20 Beemans. Come on by the gatewaytoairguns.org . Im the "mod" at the German made gate. Bart

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=528257