PDA

View Full Version : Nordyke: April 4 2012 9th Circuit orders mediation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jdberger
02-08-2012, 3:24 PM
Warning Order

Oral Arguments in the Nordyke v. King matter are going to be at 2:30pm Monday, March 19 in Courtroom One of the James R. Browning Courthouse, located at 95 Seventh Street in San Francisco, California 94103

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/information/locations.php

Arguments will be followed by the standard CGF Shindig with comments from participating Counsel and CGF Directors (and maybe a couple other people).

Please mark your calendars.

As always, space is limited for these events and seats sell out fast.

Arguments should wrap up around 4:30.

Dinner will be at LuLu.

http://www.restaurantlulu.com/images/mo_gallery6.jpg

816 Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA

Cost for tickets is $65. Meals are always excellent. Click here to buy tickets. ( http://bit.ly/wvcgF8)

PARKING
LuLu has valet parking. There's parking around the courthouse at a number of public lots (you'd think I'd have this info by now....). There's a public lot right behind Hotel Whitcomb, too.

Soma Grand Parking Garage‎
1160 Mission StreetSan Francisco, CA 94103

California Parking Inc.
645 Minna StreetSan Francisco, CA 94103

As before, our objective is to provide a clean, well groomed backdrop of responsible citizens to Counsel's arguments in favor of Liberty. Please dress appropriately. Wear a tie. Get your suit to the drycleaner now.

More information to follow.

jdberger
02-08-2012, 3:25 PM
Please pay attention. This is my list of attendees. If you're not on this list and you want to be, post in the thread your name and how many attending.

(UPDATED AS OF - 3/16)

1 1911 sfca Paid
1 BigDogatPlay Paid
1 chiz Paid
1 dantodd
1 Davidwhitewolf Paid
1 Don Kates Paid
1 Don Kilmer paid
1 Don Kilmer's Wife Paid
1 E Pluribus Unum Paid
1 edsel6502
1 erik Paid
1 eville paid
1 greasemonkey Paid
1 ivanimal
1 jdberger Paid
1 kcbrown Paid
2 keneva Paid
1 Librarian Paid
1 Luieburger paid
1 Meg
1 Nicki
1 Nicki +1
pitchbaby Paid
1 PutPut Paid
1 Quark
1 Sally Nordyke paid
1 snilda Paid
1 STFU Paid
1 Stubby Paid
1 Taperx
1 tboyer
1 Teacher Sp Ed
1 thedrickel Paid
1 Tom Boyer
1 trashman
1 wash Paid
2 Wildhawker
1 Window Seat Paid
1 bwiese
1 unusedusername

Ubermcoupe
02-08-2012, 4:09 PM
I wish I could attend, sadly I will only be in the BA the week before.

If you do attend, please keep us unable to attend posted with details through whatever media you can. :D

safewaysecurity
02-08-2012, 4:13 PM
Well depending on when it is I will try to attend. Hopefully its not on my birthday.

bulgron
02-08-2012, 4:16 PM
I refuse to get excited by Nordyke. I think they're going to have the oral arguments, and then sit on the decision for the next three years, or until one of the conservative supremes drops dead, whichever comes first.

We've been waiting on Palmer for how long now?

IrishPirate
02-08-2012, 4:18 PM
i'll keep an eye on the calendar :)

Librarian
02-08-2012, 4:25 PM
Is that the Browning Automatic Courthouse or the Browning Hi Power Courthouse or the Browning Machine Gun Courthouse?

I kid.

This is an even-numbered Nordyke, I think - I'll be there.

nicki
02-08-2012, 4:37 PM
I will do my best to make hearing, if the hearing is on a day I have off, I will join you guys.

Nicki

wildhawker
02-08-2012, 4:47 PM
Note to SoCal residents: we asked the Ninth Circuit to move the orals to its Los Angeles court so it would be easier for you to attend (since the last 99 Nordyke orals have all been up north), but Judge Kozinski said no on the grounds that San Francisco has better weather in March. C'est la vie.

-Brandon

keneva
02-08-2012, 4:58 PM
I will take the day off as soon as we know what the date is.

Stubby
02-08-2012, 5:01 PM
Note to SoCal residents: we asked the Ninth Circuit to move the orals to its Los Angeles court so it would be easier for you to attend (since the last 99 Nordyke orals have all been up north), but Judge Kozinski said no on the grounds that San Francisco has better weather in March. C'est la vie.

-Brandon

^@%^#^% it!!! I guess #100 should be worth the trip!

Who am I kidding, I have been to the last three (or was it 4?) So see you all again!:D

wildhawker
02-08-2012, 5:46 PM
^@%^#^% it!!! I guess #100 should be worth the trip!

Who am I kidding, I have been to the last three (or was it 4?) So see you all again!:D

:43: Looking forward to moar scotch at the back table.

-Brandon

Rossi357
02-08-2012, 6:17 PM
Is March $% a monday or tuesday?

Tier One Arms
02-08-2012, 7:54 PM
Nordyke has to be setting some kind of record for the longest case ever. I can't wait for us to finally win this.

eville
02-08-2012, 8:01 PM
I might be able to attend.

Paul S
02-08-2012, 8:51 PM
I refuse to get excited by Nordyke. I think they're going to have the oral arguments, and then sit on the decision for the next three years, or until one of the conservative supremes drops dead, whichever comes first.

There is probably more truth than poetry here. Jurists can and do find all manner of ways and reasons which are perfectly legal to delay issues and proceedings for a VERY long time. :(

unusedusername
02-08-2012, 9:42 PM
I'll be there.

thedrickel
02-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Better weather in March? For some reason I'm not buying this, wildcocker.

trashman
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Looking forward to it!

--Neill

hoffmang
02-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I have to speak in London in the middle of the week now. Maybe if I don't show up to Oral Arguments we win?

-Gene

wildhawker
02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
I have to speak in London in the middle of the week now. Maybe if I don't show up to Oral Arguments we win?

-Gene

No, we don't. Tell London that they'll still be there in April, France is only bluffing.

-Brandon

jdberger
02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Sweet!

That means I get the CGF credit card.

BINGHAM!!

chiselchst
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Hhhmmm...

Happen to have that week free :D Waiting on details...

ETA; A tie? Really? Wow...might be the deal breaker, LOL...

Connor P Price
02-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Don't you all go and have to much fun out there!

Librarian
02-09-2012, 1:01 AM
Sweet!

That means I get the CGF credit card.

BINGHAM!!

Bourbon AND Scotch, Josh.

Blackhawk556
02-09-2012, 2:10 AM
I have vacation all that week :)

Ugh, why SF! Of all the cities I've traveled to, that is the ugliest. Well actually Tijuana takes the trophy :p

Khanan
02-09-2012, 7:49 AM
Judge Kozinski said no on the grounds that San Francisco has better weather in March. C'est la vie.

The most valid reasoning I have heard out of the 9th Circus in many years. :D

BigDogatPlay
02-09-2012, 9:35 AM
With this much notice, I'll make a day available.

thedrickel
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Possible after party in South City, I think the place will be empty. Possibly also an open room or 5.

greasemonkey
02-10-2012, 8:49 PM
Well, it's nothing spectacular like Fresno's Tower District but I'm not scared of SF, as long as I'm only there a few days or less at a time :eek:

I'm in for March, did someone say bourbon?
I have vacation all that week :)

Ugh, why SF! Of all the cities I've traveled to, that is the ugliest. Well actually Tijuana takes the trophy :p

mag360
02-10-2012, 9:32 PM
seats sell out...? Or do you just have to get there early? Can an ltc holder check a gun with security?

wildhawker
02-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Get there early, I expect we'll fill up the courtroom and probably an overflow or two.

Leave your carry firearm unloaded and locked in a container in your vehicle.

-Brandon

Librarian
02-10-2012, 10:57 PM
seats sell out...? Or do you just have to get there early? Can an ltc holder check a gun with security?

As Brandon says, leave it locked someplace else. The courthouse has some limited accommodation for LEO, but that courtesy is not yet extended to LTC.

jdberger
02-17-2012, 3:27 PM
Oral argument in this en banc case will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, March 19, 2012,
in Courtroom One of the James R. Browning Courthouse, located at 95 Seventh Street in
San Francisco, California 94103.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/information/locations.php
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CGF will be throwing a post-argument dinner. Details to follow.

Please reserve your spots in this thread.

Screen Name

Number of Attendees

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger

BobB35
02-17-2012, 3:34 PM

I agree....whoopie....but really, who cares. What more is going to be said...this is stupid. If the justices can't make the decision based on the other 4-5 oral arguments, what is the difference. The real question become, when do they decide and how bad do they twist logic and common sense to fit the outcome expected for an anti-gun progressive state like CA. Could we just go in and say. Thanks Publish a ruling against us tomorrow so we can appeal to SCOTUS already.....

jdberger
02-17-2012, 4:07 PM

Seats for the post argument dinner sell out.

wildhawker
02-17-2012, 4:17 PM
I'll be there.

-Brandon

putput
02-17-2012, 4:24 PM
Screen Name : PutPut

Number of Attendees : 1

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger : My sunny disposition. You know you like it.

Librarian
02-17-2012, 4:28 PM
Screen Name: Librarian

Number of Attendees: One (1)

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: I'll call your wife to explain the credit card bill.

trashman
02-17-2012, 4:41 PM
Argh - have a major presentation/review that day, so I may not make the arguments - but I will attend the dinner.

Screen name: Trashman
Attendees: 1
Type of gift I'm planning on bringing jdberger: one red-light traffic violation and a free visit to traffic school

taperxz
02-17-2012, 5:47 PM
Taperxz, will be "in the house". 1 this time.

BigDogatPlay
02-17-2012, 6:40 PM
BigDogatPlay... in. 1.

Teacher Sp Ed
02-17-2012, 8:19 PM
Having just finished Mock Trial where there was a significant carry case as a pretrial motion I will be there. Will also be more then willing to join in the after case activities and meet some of the movers and shakers in this group.

I will have on my gray lawyers suit, white shirt and rep tie.

See you all then.

RA

1911_sfca
02-17-2012, 8:50 PM
Will be there. Let's have the post-event in the city -- Soluna on 9/24/09 was nice.

Screen name: 1911_sfca
Total guests: 1

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2012, 7:47 AM

-Brandon

March weather... SF v Pasadena?

Nonsense, Pasadena wins, hands-down.

eville
02-18-2012, 8:37 AM
Count me in.

SN: eville
Total Guest: 1
Surprises are nice.

Window_Seat
02-18-2012, 8:58 AM
Be sure to visit the Nordyke v. King III Facebook Event Page (http://www.facebook.com/events/273752892695259/) and chime in. :cool:

Kind of a new one on me, but OP says "seats sell out fast". Do we have to reserve our spot in the courtroom, or just show up super early?

Otherwise, see you there!

Erik.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Is the event page on FB the official place to be counted for going?

wildhawker
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM

No, Josh Berger's thread is. Please follow our instructions for registering for the after-party; the actual hearing is open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis and the only real ask is that attendees dress as befitting the court (that means suits for those considering making a crack about CA9).

-Brandon

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM

No, Josh Berger's thread is.

So, this one.

Count me in.

User name STFU
Attending: 1 for now, may wrangle a couple more

erik
02-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Screen Name: Erik

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: Sarcasm

greasemonkey
02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Waistcoat & breeches?No, Josh Berger's thread is. Please follow our instructions for registering for the after-party; the actual hearing is open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis and the only real ask is that attendees dress as befitting the court (that means suits for those considering making a crack about CA9).

-Brandon

Window_Seat
02-18-2012, 4:26 PM
Deleted my post to re-do it the right way... :(

What Brandon said (about JD Berger's thread being the official thread on this event).

I created the FB Page so that those on FB could also have a page to go to and chime in there as well, and for the purpose of encouraging as many of us as possible to pack the courtroom.

And as I mentioned earlier, I'm going, and will meet the prerequisite for "Crack of CA9".

Will there be "name tags" for the "after event"? I propose a $10.00 donation to the Calguns Foundation for name/user name tag requests, and a $15.00 donation for those who wish to wear the name tags of "someone else".

Screen name: Window_Seat
Number of attendees (tentatively): 1, but I will try to find someone to "go with me", so hopefully it will be 2, but I will let you know.
Gift for JD: A crack about the CA9 court (if I wear a tie) and a donation to the Calguns Foundation.

Erik.

greasemonkey
02-18-2012, 4:52 PM
Screen Name: Greasemonkey

Number of Attendees: 1 for now

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: I was gonna give a ribeye to you but I ate it instead. Maybe next time.

thedrickel
02-18-2012, 5:55 PM
SN: zedrickel
#: 1
Bringing JD: A DUI!

Smokeybehr
02-18-2012, 6:05 PM
No, Josh Berger's thread is. Please follow our instructions for registering for the after-party; the actual hearing is open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis and the only real ask is that attendees dress as befitting the court (that means suits for those considering making a crack about CA9).

-Brandon

Does this mean that I should leave my curly rainbow wig and red nose at home?

wildhawker
02-18-2012, 6:22 PM
Does this mean that I should leave my curly rainbow wig and red nose at home?

Well, Gary Gorski might need some wardrobe enhancements, so in that light I'd say bring 'em.

-Brandon

GM4spd
02-18-2012, 8:21 PM

I agree,I have only been on here 4 years in May---and I have heard NORDYKE
so MANY times----and there is nothing new except smoke. Pete

wash
02-18-2012, 11:35 PM
wash

Number attending: 1

Gift for JD: hookers and blow.

ivanimal
02-19-2012, 1:39 AM
Screen Name Ivanimal

Number of Attendees 1large Messican

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger Brazillian waxing kit

Stubby
02-19-2012, 9:54 PM
Screen name: Stubby

Number# 1 maybe 2

Type of gift- Wow! Hmmmm.....So many choices......how about you just wait and find out!!!!

CapS
02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Screen Name: CapS
Gift: Excellent company

:oji:

greasemonkey
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
jdberger, I've been thinking about a gift to bring you and I got an idea of what to put in a box for you, idea came from The Lonely Island...

Drivedabizness
02-20-2012, 1:24 PM
I've been looking all over the internets for moar scotch...must be a boutique brand :)

wildhawker
02-20-2012, 1:29 PM
jdberger, I've been thinking about a gift to bring you and I got an idea of what to put in a box for you, idea came from The Lonely Island...

I don't think you can fit Charles Nichols in a box...

-Brandon

Librarian
02-20-2012, 3:09 PM
I've been looking all over the internets for moar scotch...must be a boutique brand :)

I've had that thought - will the Court check a couple bottles? Don't suppose the justices would want us drinking in the courtroom, especially since we couldn't share while they were working.

Though that does bring up images of Roy Bean....

Luieburger
02-20-2012, 4:34 PM
Interesting coincidence... I just happen to be driving south from the end of my week-long honeymoon in Mendocino that day, and I'll have my nice suit with me from the wedding. I must remember to bring my NRA lapel pin.

Window_Seat
02-20-2012, 4:55 PM
Bit of change for me...

I've been debating on this for a while, and decided to seriously consider going to the Peterson v. Martinez orals in Denver because of the significant interest I have in that case for TruckerGuns (http://www.truckerguns.net/). I already have my hotel reserved, but I could always cancel.

I still won't guarantee that I'm going to Denver, but will let JD know a few weeks before the arguments unless he needs more time to know.

Erik.

Connor P Price
02-20-2012, 5:26 PM
Bit of change for me...

I've been debating on this for a while, and decided to seriously consider going to the Peterson v. Martinez orals in Denver because of the significant interest I have in that case for TruckerGuns (http://www.truckerguns.net/). I already have my hotel reserved, but I could always cancel.

I still won't guarantee that I'm going to Denver, but will let JD know a few weeks before the arguments unless he needs more time to know.

Erik.

The Nordyke court and after party will be packed with or without you. Come to Denver!

jdberger
02-20-2012, 9:50 PM
wash

Gift for JD: hookers and blow.

Now we're talking!

Screen Name Ivanimal

Number of Attendees 1large Messican

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger Brazillian waxing kit

You can leave the Brazilian Waxed Messican at home. Scared the crap outta me last time...

wildhawker
02-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Now we're talking!

You can leave the Brazilian Waxed Messican at home. Scared the crap outta me last time...

No, no, you misread that. He's bringing the waxing kit.

He's going for an "as-applied" policy challenge... of sorts... :43:

-Brandon

Davidwhitewolf
02-21-2012, 4:40 PM
Screen Name: Davidwhitewolf

Gift: I won't whine about when am I going to get my Alameda County LTC?!!

edsel6502
02-21-2012, 4:59 PM
I'll be there.

kcbrown
02-21-2012, 7:26 PM
Screen name: kcbrown
Gift: lots of sarcasm and skepticism (hey, it's what I'm best at!). :43:

I'll be out of town the preceding week and returning Sunday, so I should be able to make this unless something happens that keeps me from getting back on time.

Sadly, I won't be able to make the orals (which is probably just as well -- there isn't a suit made that I look good in, except perhaps a straitjacket), but I'll make the after-orals dinner.

keneva
02-23-2012, 3:42 PM
My wife and I will be there. Can't wait!

tboyer
02-24-2012, 2:12 AM
I'm going

Screen Name: tboyer

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: I'll try to show
jdberger how to use a straight razor

tankerman
02-24-2012, 6:58 AM
Leave your carry firearm unloaded and locked in a container in your vehicle.

-Brandon

That'll be easy since they don't grant licenses in Sonoma County where I live.

jdberger
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Sadly, I won't be able to make the orals (which is probably just as well -- there isn't a suit made that I look good in, except perhaps a straitjacket), but I'll make the after-orals dinner.

The venue will be nice enough that you should probably wear a suit, anyway.*

Get on out to Nordstroms and get outfitted.... We expect that there will me more court cases to attend.

*Just kidding... I haven't found a place yet.

dantodd
02-28-2012, 6:16 AM
Screen name: DanTodd
Number of attendees 1.
Gift for JD: JD, a 1.5L

goober
02-28-2012, 7:39 AM
wish i could make it. :(

meg
02-28-2012, 9:26 PM
Screen Name: Meg

Number of Attendees: Two (2)

Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: Don Kilmer, since Brett and I are responsible for getting him to/from San Francisco that day.

jdberger
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Interesting coincidence... I just happen to be driving south from the end of my week-long honeymoon in Mendocino that day, and I'll have my nice suit with me from the wedding. I must remember to bring my NRA lapel pin.

Is this a confirmed reservation? If so, for how many?

AndrewMendez
02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Anyone coming from LA area?
Carpool?

nicki
02-29-2012, 1:53 AM
Quick look at airfares on 3/19 from LAX to SFO is around 140, then fly back following morning.

I am sure that some of us up here in Nor Cal could make a detour to the airport to pick you guys up to save you car rentals, cab fare to the court.

In theory you could catch a late evening flight, but that means you would have to be at the airport no later than 9pm.

There are modest cost motels near sfo airport. You could be dropped off, and catch a cab or possibly even a shuttle to airport in AM/afternoon.

If you drive up, you can figure a 6 to 7 hour drive from central LA to San Fran, this is assuming you cruise around 80mph most of the way, posted speed limit on hwy 5 north of grapevine till you finally merge with 580 in Alameda county is 70mph.

Considering it would be close to 1000 miles of driving and wear and tear on your car/truck, I would even consider renting a vehicle.

Several of us will be coming up from San Jose to San Fran, so I am sure a few of us could detour to SF airport provided you are not arriving too late.

I plan to be at the court by 1:45pm myself, so I wouldn't want to catch anyone after noon.

Nicki

jdberger
02-29-2012, 9:45 AM
Quick look at airfares on 3/19 from LAX to SFO is around 140, then fly back following morning.

I am sure that some of us up here in Nor Cal could make a detour to the airport to pick you guys up to save you car rentals, cab fare to the court.

In theory you could catch a late evening flight, but that means you would have to be at the airport no later than 9pm.

There are modest cost motels near sfo airport. You could be dropped off, and catch a cab or possibly even a shuttle to airport in AM/afternoon.

If you drive up, you can figure a 6 to 7 hour drive from central LA to San Fran, this is assuming you cruise around 80mph most of the way, posted speed limit on hwy 5 north of grapevine till you finally merge with 580 in Alameda county is 70mph.

Considering it would be close to 1000 miles of driving and wear and tear on your car/truck, I would even consider renting a vehicle.

Several of us will be coming up from San Jose to San Fran, so I am sure a few of us could detour to SF airport provided you are not arriving too late.

I plan to be at the court by 1:45pm myself, so I wouldn't want to catch anyone after noon.

Nicki

Nicki? Is that a confirmation?

The list is going to be tight, folks. If you're coming, please let me know. If you've said that you're coming, make sure that I KNOW you are. Check the second post in this thread and ensure that I have your name and the correct number of guests.

Thanks,

jdberger

chiz
02-29-2012, 12:58 PM
i will be there.

wildhawker
02-29-2012, 1:02 PM
I *may* be +1 but won't know until we're closer.

-Brandon

E Pluribus Unum
02-29-2012, 3:25 PM
Count me In

-Gene

We may win... but you FAIL.... :)

Drivedabizness
02-29-2012, 5:46 PM
Is is out of line to post a firm "I'll be there if at all possible"?

I should find out about an important (to us financially) job opportunity on or about that day. I will come if I can but if I start this job I won't be able to make it. If maybe is a no go, I understand.

Drivedabizness

What is an appropriate gift? (bourbon?) :)

AndrewMendez
02-29-2012, 5:51 PM
Prices for airfare from down here are about 250 300 round trip. Not terrible by any means, especially for getting to be part of such an amazing and lengthy court battle.
I think the single reason I may choose to fly, is to get TSA to grope me....I mean....to save the back pain. :hide:

Paul S
02-29-2012, 5:55 PM
Prices for airfare from down here are about 250 300 round trip. Not terrible by any means, especially for getting to be part of such an amazing and lengthy court battle.
I think the single reason I may choose to fly, is to get TSA to grope me....I mean....to save the back pain. :hide:

Yeah...I'd hide behind the couch too with that comment! :rolleyes:

Just kidding...thanks for the chuckle. I hope you get to attend.

greasemonkey
02-29-2012, 5:56 PM
For those of us traveling, there's a cheap hotel about a 1/4 mile away that's a whopping $100/night for 2 beds. Since they didn't offer an hourly rate, I figure we have half a chance of it not being too shady.

I heard AndrewMendez is likely going to flake on showing up. Typical :43:

Nicki

AndrewMendez
02-29-2012, 5:58 PM
ETA. It appears that Long Beach airport has some fantastic prices via Jet Blue....I'm talking $125 round trip from Long Beach to SFO, with 1 carry on....man, that is almost too cheap not to fly. It would cost me more in gas to drive...BY FAR, let alone wear and tear on my car.

AndrewMendez
02-29-2012, 5:59 PM
GreaseMonkey, just for that, I'm going to make you take me and Brandon out to that bar you like.

hoffmang
02-29-2012, 6:04 PM
We may win... but you FAIL.... :)
I'm going to be in Denver at Peterson and then off to Formerly Great Britain that night.
For those of us traveling, there's a cheap hotel about a 1/4 mile away that's a whopping $100/night for 2 beds. Since they didn't offer an hourly rate, I figure we have half a chance of it not being too shady.

If it's the place I think it is it's a bit old but completely functional. We've had one of the Nordyke events there.

-Gene

wildhawker
02-29-2012, 6:07 PM
Dude, you suck at travel arrangements. I just spent 4 minutes looking and here's what I found for flights:

Virgin America LAX-SFO $122-140 r/t
(note: No, Mendez, you don't get virgins in lieu of peanuts on Virgin America. No, prospective terrorists, Virgin America is not what you get when you blow yourself up.)

Southwest LAX-SFO $140-170 r/t

Delta LAX-SFO from $104 r/t

-Brandon

BigRig81
02-29-2012, 7:15 PM
I'd love to go, but my wife wouldn't. Plus I don't own no nice clothes. :facepalm: not even polo shirts, I'm a truck driver who hangs out at home with the family when I'm not working. And I don't like dressing up.

greasemonkey
02-29-2012, 7:55 PM
Don't let your lack of interest in dressing up hold you back, I'm an aircraft mechanic and don't generally 'enjoy' dressing up but for something epic as this event, it's worthwhile.

I'd love to go, but my wife wouldn't. Plus I don't own no nice clothes. :facepalm: not even polo shirts, I'm a truck driver who hangs out at home with the family when I'm not working. And I don't like dressing up.

AndrewMendez
02-29-2012, 8:00 PM
Where the heck did you find one for 104?!!??!?!?

dantodd
02-29-2012, 8:31 PM

I think that's the hamster fare. They put you in the luggage hold and you have to run in a big hamster wheel to turn the engine.

Luieburger
02-29-2012, 8:47 PM
Screen Name: Luieburger
Number of Attendees: One
Type of gift you're planning on bringing jdberger: I'll have GettoPhilosopher mail Pinkie up so I can gift it to jdberger. It's San Francisco appropriate I think.

wildhawker
02-29-2012, 9:02 PM

Try expedia.com. They're all about the same. In any case, $100-200 round trip seems to be the going rate.

-Brandon

E Pluribus Unum
02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Try expedia.com. They're all about the same. In any case, $100-200 round trip seems to be the going rate.

-Brandon

This will go up exponentially as time approaches the event. BOOK NOW gentlemen...

nicki
02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Screenname: Nicki

Attending: 2 after party

Gifts: we will see.

If we can get internet where we will be at, perhaps we can set up a tablet with Skype so that "Gene" can join us, even if it is only a video call.

Nicki

Whiskey84
03-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm going to have to see if my suit still fits before I make any commitment lol

Mr.Sandman
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
So how long are the arguments expected to take? Need to decide if I should just book a night and enjoy myself or drive home. (about 1.5-2 hrs outside sf)

jdberger
03-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Arguments run about an hour. Dinner should be about 5 blocks from the courthouse....I'm working on it, still.

Factor in about 3 hours or more for dinner and the after party.

Mr.Sandman
03-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Arguments run about an hour. Dinner should be about 5 blocks from the courthouse....I'm working on it, still.

Factor in about 3 hours or more for dinner and the after party.

hmmm, I think this just made my decision even harder :willy_nilly:

Guess I will wait for the decision on dinner/party arrangements before I make up my mind.

jdberger
03-01-2012, 12:46 AM
hmmm, I think this just made my decision even harder :willy_nilly:

Guess I will wait for the decision on dinner/party arrangements before I make up my mind.

Don't. Get in now. Seats sell out.

Dinners are always good. Sometimes they're amazing. The folks are always fascinating. Expect dinner to run around $60ish. Trust me. I know what I'm doing....:)

wildhawker
03-01-2012, 1:49 AM

Dinners are always good. Sometimes they're amazing. The folks are always fascinating. Expect dinner to run around $60ish. Trust me. I know what I'm doing....:)

I want to second this and offer that Mr. Berger's after-parties are a fantastic opportunity to have a great time, meet new people, and pick the brains of lawyers and leaders of the gun rights movement. They're really an experience unto themselves.

-Brandon

E Pluribus Unum
03-01-2012, 8:21 AM
I want to second this and offer that Mr. Berger's after-parties are a fantastic opportunity to have a great time, meet new people, and pick the brains of lawyers and leaders of the gun rights movement. They're really an experience unto themselves.

-Brandon

Yes, but the After-After party at the bar wont be the same without Gene...

taperxz
03-01-2012, 8:33 AM
I'm going to be in Denver at Peterson and then off to Formerly Great Britain that night.

-Gene

HMM. Been there quite a few times, I would pack as much food as possible. They don't get it when it comes to food.

goober
03-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Trust me. I know what I'm doing....:)

Believe dat!
He does.
It is with sincere regret that I will be missing this event.
I have prior commitment that can't be altered.
But I will be there with you in spirit, and raise a glass to you all wherever I am.

jdberger
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Dude, you suck at travel arrangements. I just spent 4 minutes looking and here's what I found for flights:

Virgin America LAX-SFO $122-140 r/t
(note: No, Mendez, you don't get virgins in lieu of peanuts on Virgin America. No, prospective terrorists, Virgin America is not what you get when you blow yourself up.)

Southwest LAX-SFO $140-170 r/t

Delta LAX-SFO from $104 r/t

-Brandon

Hotel Diva (http://www.hoteldiva.com/) (one of my favorites in the City) is about $150/night.

Hotel Whitcomb (http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/main/WHITCOMB-page.asp?P=10#) is where we had the first Nordyke event. Around $100/night.

jdberger
03-01-2012, 1:56 PM
In the event we can't get the restaurant I'm looking at, we'll all be eating here.

DdIT9A8g1v8

*warning* Language

Librarian
03-01-2012, 2:26 PM
They left off dessert -

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/28/dining/bacon650.33.jpg

E Pluribus Unum
03-02-2012, 1:38 AM
Hotel Diva (http://www.hoteldiva.com/) (one of my favorites in the City) is about $150/night.

Hotel Whitcomb (http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/main/WHITCOMB-page.asp?P=10#) is where we had the first Nordyke event. Around $100/night.

Hotel Whitcomb is $100+ per night plus fees; it ends up being $130+ per night.

I am staying at the Rodeway Inn; it's not the pinnacle of luxury, but it's .3 mile away from the courthouse, and it's only $70 per night. :)

Gray Peterson
03-02-2012, 4:58 AM
Screenname: Nicki

Attending: 2 after party

Gifts: we will see.

If we can get internet where we will be at, perhaps we can set up a tablet with Skype so that "Gene" can join us, even if it is only a video call.

Nicki

Believe me, if the Nordyke hearing had happened the next day, like Tuesday, I would have been in San Fran right after Denver, but alas.

JD and I are working on a solution for that. I'd like to give you all the "first on scene" update as to what I would consider the "real" oral arguments of Peterson (as compared to the first oral arguments in November where we were bogged down with jurisdictional questions.

edsel6502
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM

This.

edsel6502
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Andrew, if you fly either into SFO or SJC I can give you a ride. You can also crash on the couch if need be.

jdberger
03-02-2012, 1:55 PM
I have found a place for dinner.

Give me about an hour and I'll post it.

I'm very excited (no - it's not the BaconBaconSF truck)

Stoner
03-02-2012, 2:31 PM
Screen Name : stoner
Number of Attendees : 1

thedrickel
03-02-2012, 2:58 PM

I am staying at the Rodeway Inn; it's not the pinnacle of luxury, but it's .3 mile away from the courthouse, and it's only $70 per night. :)

There's a reason it's downtown, and it's $70/night.

greasemonkey
03-02-2012, 3:40 PM
Should I be worried?
There's a reason it's downtown, and it's $70/night.

Librarian
03-02-2012, 4:23 PM
Should I be worried?

Maybe.

Looked at SF Crime maps? http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/sanfrancisco

For the last month, just that area around 9th and Mission, the report is here (http://www.crimemapping.com/DetailedReport.aspx?db=2%2f03%2f2012+00%3a00%3a00&de=3%2f02%2f2012+23%3a59%3a00&ccs=AR%2cAS%2cBU%2cDP%2cDR%2cDU%2cFR%2cHO%2cVT%2cR O%2cSX%2cTH%2cVA%2cVB%2cWE&xmin=-13627443.613979366&ymin=4547773.872771209&xmax=-13626804.648195956&ymax=4547972.13131335)

chiselchst
03-02-2012, 4:34 PM
I'd love to go.... Plus I don't own no nice clothes. :facepalm: not even polo shirts, I'm a truck driver who hangs out at home with the family when I'm not working. And I don't like dressing up.

I'm about in the same boat (but I do have polo shirts :eek:)...not much of a dress up kinda guy.

You guys have fun, maybe next time! We want a detailed report! :p

jdberger
03-02-2012, 4:56 PM
We have pricing. See the first post in this thread.

Mr. Combs, will you please set up a donation button?

jdberger
03-02-2012, 4:57 PM
I'm about in the same boat (but I do have polo shirts :eek:)...not much of a dress up kinda guy.

You guys have fun, maybe next time! We want a detailed report! :p

You can always attend the dinner.

goober
03-02-2012, 5:20 PM
Maybe.

For the last month, just that area around 9th and Mission, the report is here (http://www.crimemapping.com/DetailedReport.aspx?db=2%2f03%2f2012+00%3a00%3a00&de=3%2f02%2f2012+23%3a59%3a00&ccs=AR%2cAS%2cBU%2cDP%2cDR%2cDU%2cFR%2cHO%2cVT%2cR O%2cSX%2cTH%2cVA%2cVB%2cWE&xmin=-13627443.613979366&ymin=4547773.872771209&xmax=-13626804.648195956&ymax=4547972.13131335)

Ooooh but Monday is the best day of the week (http://www.crimemapping.com/advancedTrendReport.aspx?db=2%2f03%2f2012+00%3a00% 3a00&de=3%2f02%2f2012+23%3a59%3a00&ccs=AR%2cAS%2cBU%2cDP%2cDR%2cDU%2cFR%2cHO%2cVT%2cR O%2cSX%2cTH%2cVA%2cVB%2cWE&xmin=-13627443.613979366&ymin=4547773.872771209&xmax=-13626804.648195956&ymax=4547972.13131335)! :chris:

Librarian
03-02-2012, 5:21 PM
Walking directions from Court, 95 7th Street to LuLu (http://www.restaurantlulu.com/), 816 Folsom:

From the front steps of the courthouse, turn LEFT, heading southeast; cross MISSION; cross HOWARD; turn LEFT on FOLSOM.

Restaurant is on the north-ish side of Folsom, just before 4th street.

Google Maps says 0.7 miles, 14 minutes walking.

jdberger
03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Should things go as I've planned, we'll have an extra-special guest appearance at Monday's dinner (it's not Adriana Lima - she was booked).

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe.

Hotel Whitcomb is in the same area.... and it's all the same in the dark... :)

Librarian
03-06-2012, 1:47 AM
We have pricing. See the first post in this thread.

Mr. Combs, will you please set up a donation button?

Eager to push $$ into the restaurant's coffers via CGF ...

greasemonkey
03-06-2012, 1:56 AM
Should things go as I've planned, we'll have an extra-special guest appearance at Monday's dinner (it's not Adriana Lima - she was booked).
I told her to stay away from you and to go make me some cookies instead.

wildhawker
03-06-2012, 1:59 AM
Posting the event ticket link until Josh can wake up and do it his own damned self. (Smooches, Berger.)

http://store.calgunsfoundation.org/product-p/nordyke2012.htm

Librarian
03-06-2012, 2:49 AM
Posting the event ticket link until Josh can wake up and do it his own damned self. (Smooches, Berger.)

Paid - 4223848156

mag360
03-06-2012, 4:08 AM
so the gf will be doing a photoshoot in sf on sunday, if all goes as planned we plan to be there on Monday. Stay tuned. If you're all sold out then I'll go to paragon and get some more of that pulled pork. That was crazy good.

greasemonkey
03-06-2012, 9:33 AM

Paid - 4224609581

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 9:40 AM
Paid - 10000000111010101111100

jdberger
03-06-2012, 9:53 AM
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq73/tippythomas/pay-now-button.png ( http://bit.ly/wvcgF8)

Pay now using the big orange button. Or go to the first page to pay.

berto
03-06-2012, 9:59 AM

Sheriff Mirkarimi? Does he think it's a meeting of his legal defense fund?

greasemonkey
03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Binary ramblings don't pay for dinner (I know, they make the communication world go 'round) but they don't work on a dinner check.

Paid - 10000000111010101111100

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Binary ramblings don't pay for dinner (I know, they make the communication world go 'round) but they don't work on a dinner check.

Paid- 40757c ??

jdberger
03-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Here's the menu for the evening:

Starters

Butter Lettuce Salad
With Goat Cheese, Mustard Vinaigrette, Croutons, and Herbs

Iron Skillet Roasted Mussels
With Drawn Butter, and Fresh Squeezed Lemon (Restaurant Specialty)

Main Course

Rosemary Scented Rotisserie Chicken
With Warm Potato, and Lettuce Salad

Grilled Sirloin
With Glazed Peas and Carrots, Potatoes, and Bordelaise Sauce

Grilled Swordfish
With Olives, Chiles, Capers, Roasted Garlic and Potato

Truffled French Fries

Dessert

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Here's the menu for the evening:

Starters

Butter Lettuce Salad
With Goat Cheese, Mustard Vinaigrette, Croutons, and Herbs

Iron Skillet Roasted Mussels
With Drawn Butter, and Fresh Squeezed Lemon (Restaurant Specialty)

Main Course

Rosemary Scented Rotisserie Chicken
With Warm Potato, and Lettuce Salad

Grilled Sirloin
With Glazed Peas and Carrots, Potatoes, and Bordelaise Sauce

Grilled Swordfish
With Olives, Chiles, Capers, Roasted Garlic and Potato

Truffled French Fries

We get all of that.... or a choice of some of that? :)

jdberger
03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
We get all of that.... or a choice of some of that? :)

no clue.

I recall that it's served "family style" - but I'm not sure if that's how they do banquets.

Gotta have some suprises in life, eh?

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
no clue.

I recall that it's served "family style" - but I'm not sure if that's how they do banquets.

Gotta have some suprises in life, eh?

Well, if there's not enough food, at least we'll have a Berger for backup... ;)

jdberger
03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Boooo!

EPU buys the first round of Binghams for the bad joke.

hoffmang
03-06-2012, 6:52 PM
Mrs. Hoffmang will be attending as I am in Denver.

I wish you all luck! I warn you to not underestimate her.

-Gene

taperxz
03-06-2012, 7:09 PM
LuLu's is a good choice!

If it helps, it may be easier to park closer to LuLu's and then walking to the court house. JMO

1911_sfca
03-06-2012, 9:34 PM
Nice! my house is halfway between court and Lulu's. (no, it's not an SRO.) Did you get the private dining room, on the north side of the restaurant?

greasemonkey
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Paid- 40757c ??
Invalid. No soup for you!

kcbrown
03-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Paid. CGF store order number 255.

As a computer guy, that order number makes me very suspicious (single byte overflow?). :D

hoffmang
03-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Paid. CGF store order number 255.

As a computer guy, that order number makes me very suspicious (single byte overflow?). :D

It's a 32 bit number you superstitious person you :43:

-Gene

kcbrown
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
It's a 32 bit number you superstitious person you :43:

Well, see, that's what the ordinary, unsuspecting buyer would think. But I know better! The rest of that 32-bit number is being used to STEAL MY IDENTITY!!

Next thing you know, you'll be seeing posts from "me" saying how we're sure to win full shall-issue LTC in the anti-gun stronghold counties within 36 months!

:TFH:

Connor P Price
03-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, see, that's what the ordinary, unsuspecting buyer would think. But I know better! The rest of that 32-bit number is being used to STEAL MY IDENTITY!!

Next thing you know, you'll be seeing posts from "me" saying how we're sure to win full shall-issue LTC in the anti-gun stronghold counties within 36 months!

:TFH:

It's clear that they haven't stolen your identity yet, because that was a kcbrown post if I've ever seen one. :chris:

kcbrown
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
It's clear that they haven't stolen your identity yet, because that was a kcbrown post if I've ever seen one. :chris:

That's because the CGF store is so overloaded with requests for this dinner that there just hasn't been spare cycles for that!

(How else would that "32 bit" number have overflowed so fast?)

:D

jdberger
03-07-2012, 12:25 AM
so the gf will be doing a photoshoot in sf on sunday, if all goes as planned we plan to be there on Monday. Stay tuned. If you're all sold out then I'll go to paragon and get some more of that pulled pork. That was crazy good.

Sooner is better when reserving a seat. I don't think we'll sell out - but you never know.

Attendee list is updated (or will be in a second).

keneva
03-07-2012, 2:05 PM
In for 2. 4227497525

jdberger
03-12-2012, 8:14 PM
Bumpity bump!

Still some spots left, folks.

BigDogatPlay
03-12-2012, 8:23 PM
All set.

Thank you for placing your order. Your order number is 266.

wash
03-12-2012, 9:21 PM
I tried to buy a ticket but anonymous checkout doesn't work, I forgot my password and password recovery doesn't work either.

The CGF store account is a lie, it never saves time and just causes me hassles.

greasemonkey
03-12-2012, 11:06 PM
As we tell some of our pilots/customers on occasion, the issue may be the wiring inside the helmet :D

I tried to buy a ticket but anonymous checkout doesn't work, I forgot my password and password recovery doesn't work either.

The CGF store account is a lie, it never saves time and just causes me hassles.

wildhawker
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
If anyone has trouble with the guest checkout now, please let me know.

-Brandon

E Pluribus Unum
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
If anyone has trouble with the guest checkout now, please let me know.

-Brandon

Well.... how can we checkout the other guests before we actually go?

wildhawker
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Well.... how can be checkout the other guests before we actually go?

http://img.izismile.com/img/img4/20110608/640/funny_advertising_fails_640_01.jpg

E Pluribus Unum
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img4/20110608/640/funny_advertising_fails_640_01.jpg

I guess I should be quiet... I'm sharing hotel rooms with "Grease Monkey".... I hope there's no alternative meaning to the name...

Librarian
03-13-2012, 12:14 AM
As we tell some of our pilots/customers on occasion, the issue may be the wiring inside the helmet :D

Used to be in the USAF/ANG as a radio tech; tried to use the code for 'pilot error' in the HOW MAL (how did it malfunction) field of the maintenance docs.

Maintenance supervisor made me change it.

He didn't like 'Battle damage' for a CA guard unit at home, either.

Snilda
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Wasn't sure if I had to post this or not but, here you go:

Thank you for placing your order. Your order number is 271

-Heather

jdberger
03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Always helpful (plus it bumps the thread).

See you Monday.

goober
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM

AKA in computer acronyms as "PEBCAK" :chris:

eville
03-14-2012, 7:16 PM
Order Number 274.
-steve

Stoner
03-14-2012, 9:16 PM
Just found out I will not be able to attend. Work calls. Please remove me from the list.
Stoner

Luieburger
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you for placing your order. Your order number is 278.

User feedback: I was confused by the submit button in the lower left corner of the screen after I entered all my purchase info; failed to scroll back up to push the real "Place Order" button when I went through the first time.

Definitely a problem with the wiring in the helmet. It's been wired to push any submit button that it sees when making a purchase. :(

Looking forward to the event!

putput
03-15-2012, 6:11 AM
PutPut has paid up and bumpitiy bump...

jdberger
03-15-2012, 1:28 PM
Folks - I'm going to need to give a final headcount to the venue.

Please make your payment or indicate that you'll be bringing me cash with a substantial handling fee...

Drivedabizness
03-15-2012, 1:32 PM
Just found out I cannot make it. Will someone tweet/post live?

Sorry to miss this!!!

jdberger
03-15-2012, 3:46 PM
Hi Folks -

So far I have 41 reservations with 16 paid. PLEASE PLEASE pay for dinner now if you are able.

It makes telling the caterer how many to cook for so much easier.

And check your PMs if you mentioned that you might be coming, I'm following up.

[see post #2 for the guest list]

Thanks - I'm excited for Monday!

jd

erik
03-15-2012, 9:12 PM
Invoice Number: 282

(I ordered a bunch of other stuff I'd been meaning to at the same time, and then managed to hit the ESC key while the next page was loading, I got the email confirmation though.)

Paladin
03-15-2012, 9:17 PM
Won't be joining everyone for dinner.

Won't know if I'll be able to attend oral arguments until shortly before they begin....

Davidwhitewolf
03-15-2012, 9:34 PM
Order no. 283 placed.

wash
03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I eventually got my password recovery email and completed my order #269.

I got my suit to the cleaners today also. It will be ready Monday morning and looking good. I'll see you all there.

jdberger
03-16-2012, 9:35 AM
I've updated the second post with the list of attendees. Please pay now, if you can. Otherwise, reply in this thread that you're definitely coming.

jdberger
03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Updated with everyone I have listed as "PAID"

wildhawker
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Pretty sure I saw that Drick paid.

-BC

E Pluribus Unum
03-16-2012, 12:27 PM
1 Don Kilmer paid
1 Sally Nordyke paid
1 Don Kilmer's Wife Paid
1 Don Kates Paid

Are you trying to get Mr. Kilmer in trouble?

.... and did you really make "the Dons" pay?

jdberger
03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Everyone pays one way or another..... ;)

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-17-2012, 3:24 PM
The stoofer is paid #287.
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make oral arguments, but I should he able to join everybody for dinner at about 615.
Maybe that will get me there before they clean up dessert this time...

pitchbaby
03-17-2012, 5:53 PM
1-Pitchbaby PAID

Window_Seat
03-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Who's driving to the court, and who's taking BART? So far I'd doing BART, unless someone wants to ride with me. Anyone open to car-pooling?

(EDIT)

The closest BART Station is Civic Center.

Walking directions to courthouse from Civic Center BART to the after party dinner location (at Restaurant LuLu) (http://g.co/maps/zxbwk)

The court is the second building (the 3 in 94103 marks the building). If you exit the BART station from the staircase to Market Street & 7th Northeast that the placemark (yellow pin) covers, walk across the street, turn right, it's the 2nd building on the left.

(EDIT)

Map of Civic Center BART (http://www.bart.gov/stations/civc/map.aspx)

Take the far Northeast staircase to Market Street.

Erik.

wash
03-18-2012, 2:49 PM
New plan:

Since Techshop SF is close by, I'm going to park there and do some work on an AK parts kit I'm building up, then change in to my suit and attend the oral arguments.

SilverBulletZ06
03-18-2012, 3:20 PM
How soon can we expecting the oral arguments to be online?

Window_Seat
03-18-2012, 3:28 PM
How soon can we expecting the oral arguments to be online?

The argument audio can be accessed here (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/) when it is released, but it's hard to tell how long it will take to be posted.

Erik.

BigDogatPlay
03-18-2012, 4:33 PM
I'm thinking BART since I never much enjoy driving all the way into the city from SoCo. Depending on how things go I may get in a little early and have lunch downtown ahead of the hearing.

Window_Seat
03-18-2012, 4:53 PM
I'm thinking BART since I never much enjoy driving all the way into the city from SoCo. Depending on how things go I may get in a little early and have lunch downtown ahead of the hearing.

I might do the same thing, just to avoid delays. Who all wants to meet where before the arguments for lunch?

Erik.

meg
03-18-2012, 5:08 PM
Josh,

I should have a 2 by my name on the attendee list... Brett will be with me. I imagine we'll pay online later tonight.

jdberger
03-18-2012, 5:39 PM
Brett is listed separately.

keneva
03-18-2012, 7:39 PM
Busy day tomorrow. My dad is going in and maybe having 2 stints put in his heart tomorrow. We have to be at the Hosp. in Carmel at 6 AM. 2 hour drive from my house. If everthing goes like it is suppose to, He will spend the night and will probably sleep all day. If that's the case, we will be at the hearing. Hope to see ya'll tomorrow but pop comes first.

HumGuns
03-18-2012, 8:17 PM
Anyone want to car pool from Humboldt - NORDYKE - Humboldt in one day? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=549504

kcbrown
03-18-2012, 8:23 PM
I won't be able to make the orals, but will be able to make the dinner afterwards. My question is: what time will people start meeting up at LuLu?

BigDogatPlay
03-18-2012, 8:50 PM
I won't be able to make the orals, but will be able to make the dinner afterwards. My question is: what time will people start meeting up at LuLu?

Haven't heard anything on that detail, but I was going to start a rumor that we were gonna eat, run and leave the bar tab in your name.

chiselchst
03-18-2012, 9:06 PM
Haven't heard anything on that detail, but I was going to start a rumor that we were gonna eat, run and leave the bar tab in your name.

Really...

Wow - Now I might just have to make the dinner... :eek:

:hide:

MrBrent
03-18-2012, 9:25 PM
Is this being broadcast on the net or any other media so we can listen in from home?

Window_Seat
03-18-2012, 9:37 PM
Is this being broadcast on the net or any other media so we can listen in from home?

I highly doubt that the arguments will be streamed live, but they will be available on the ca9 website, and I have provided a link to the ca9 audio website in the previous page of this thread.

Once the audio/video is available, it will be posted by one of us in a new topic here on the 2A forum.

Erik.

Maestro Pistolero
03-18-2012, 10:26 PM
On one of these pivotal events someday, I will be able to join you all and put faces to names (or screen names, as the case may be)

For now, I can only be there in spirit, but the anticipation of tomorrows events have me feeling a little excited.

It's comforting to know that so many of you can attend and show support. I'll be tipping a glass to you all from NV, where my work keeps me for now.

My best regards to you all, and as they say in my business, break a leg.

-MP

jdberger
03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
The stoofer is paid #287.
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make oral arguments, but I should he able to join everybody for dinner at about 615.
Maybe that will get me there before they clean up dessert this time...

remind me and I'll have them hold your plate for you.

jdberger
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Busy day tomorrow. My dad is going in and maybe having 2 stints put in his heart tomorrow. We have to be at the Hosp. in Carmel at 6 AM. 2 hour drive from my house. If everthing goes like it is suppose to, He will spend the night and will probably sleep all day. If that's the case, we will be at the hearing. Hope to see ya'll tomorrow but pop comes first.

Prayers to your Pop.

jdberger
03-18-2012, 11:17 PM

4:30ish

I'll respond to emails and texts. If I don't get back to you immediately, it's because my phone is ringing off the hook.... :cool:

Paladin
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Might be able to make it.

Did not notice any info re parking in the OP. Will parking be an issue? If so, how best to resolve it?

JD, please add answer to OP.

jdberger
03-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Guest list on Post #2 has been updated again. If you've paid and you're not listed as paid, please send me your receipt number and I'll update you.

jdberger
03-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Did not notice any info re parking in the OP. Will parking be an issue? If so, how best to resolve it?

Done.

Simply, there are a number of public lots around the Courthouse (see OP) and LuLu has valet parking.

bwiese
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Wish I could make it.

Tied up at work.... small micro-chance I could make it up near end of dinner, but not sure...

E Pluribus Unum
03-19-2012, 1:22 AM
And.... I have to leave for the train station in 5 hours and I can't sleep in anticipation...

GOEX FFF
03-19-2012, 2:23 AM
Good luck and give em hell! :thumbsup:

wildhawker
03-19-2012, 2:53 AM
Don is going to rock the Ninth Circuit. Again.

For those who are interested, follow @donkilmer, @hoffmang, @the_quark, @bergerjd, @graycpeterson, and me (@combs_brandon) on Twitter for Nordyke and Peterson updates.

-Brandon

CaliforniaLiberal
03-19-2012, 6:38 AM
Mercury News article about the Nordyke Oral Arguments

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20202757/gun-shows-caught-crossfire

"....an 11-judge 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel is to hear arguments in the Nordykes' legal challenge to Alameda County's ordinance, which has outlawed gun shows at the fairgrounds in Pleasanton since 1999..."

"....the Nordyke case is being closely watched across the country. The showdown is considered a barometer of how far local and state governments can go in regulating guns following U.S. Supreme Court rulings expanding constitutional protections for the right to bear arms...."

"....The outcome could determine the fate of gun show regulations in California and other states within the 9th Circuit and may also shape ongoing legal challenges to other gun controls. With the Nordyke case pending, the 9th Circuit has put on hold two cases challenging California's strict limits on carrying concealed weapons and licenses for carrying loaded firearms in public...."

NoJoke
03-19-2012, 7:15 AM

For those who are interested, follow @donkilmer, @hoffmang, @the_quark, @bergerjd, @graycpeterson, and me (@combs_brandon) on Twitter for Nordyke and Peterson updates.

-Brandon

Never done it before, but I'm a tweetin' now! (whatever that is....) :oji:

Luieburger
03-19-2012, 8:18 AM
So what time should we show up at the courthouse to get a good seat?

I'll be there some time shortly after 12:00, so you'll likely see me poking around. Feel free to come say hi because chances are I'll be dying for some conversation. Look for a young punk hippie kid dressed exactly like this: http://tinyurl.com/76nrgv4

goldrush
03-19-2012, 8:24 AM
I worry that allowing an amended complaint may be a trap.

The defense seems to have the stronger position.

1. They are not barring gun sales in Alameda.
2. They are not barring gun stores in Alameda.
3. They are not barring gun shows held in private venues in Alameda.
4. They are not barring pro-gun rallies held in public buildings in Alameda, as long as guns are not present.
5. "Sensitive places" nearly perfectly equals "government places," thanks to Heller and, so "sensitive-place" gun possession may be legally banned.
6. To the extent that a remote parking lot owned by the county may not be a "sensitive place," the court is not going to require lists of every public building and property owned by each county in the country to determine what is and is not a "sensitive place."
7. There was a gun incident in a "sensitive place" regulated by the complained-of ordinance.
8. Legislative and Executive branches are entitled to engage in home rule, and their decisions are given great deference, as courts are not allowed to engage in policy decisions, and courts do not want to usurp the other branches of government, becoming a unicameral governing body.

I worry that since the original case was so roundly defeated, amending the complaint may be pressing a losing position. The court may be quite willing to allow Second Amendment claims to be included in an amended complaint:

1) to give the appearance that the plaintiff had a full and fair day in court;
2) to find that such claims have no bearing on the case, keeping the case a loser, even in the presence of the additional arguments;
3) Now that intermediate scrutiny governs Second Amendment cases, they can run almost anything you can throw at them through the intermediate-scrutiny atom-smasher and find nothing comes out the other side. This might be a convenient time for them to bolster the intermediate-scrutiny Second Amendment body of law.

This court seems quite willing to find that if a Second Amendment claim is found within valid public purpose limitation, the Second Amendment yields to the public purpose, if the public purpose is the type and manner that courts allow.

monk
03-19-2012, 8:55 AM

4. They are not barring pro-gun rallies held in public buildings in Alameda, as long as guns are not present.
5. "Sensitive places" nearly perfectly equals "government places," thanks to Heller and, so "sensitive-place" gun possession may be legally banned.
6. To the extent that a remote parking lot owned by the county may not be a "sensitive place," the court is not going to require lists of every public building and property owned by each county in the country to determine what is and is not a "sensitive place."
7. There was a gun incident in a "sensitive place" regulated by the complained-of ordinance.
8. Legislative and Executive branches are entitled to engage in home rule, and their decisions are given great deference, as courts are not allowed to engage in policy decisions, and courts do not want to usurp the other branches of government, becoming a unicameral governing body.

I worry that since the original case was so roundly defeated, amending the complaint may be pressing a losing position. The court may be quite willing to allow Second Amendment claims to be included in an amended complaint:

2) to find that such claims have no bearing on the case, keeping the case a loser, even in the presence of the additional arguments;
3) Now that intermediate scrutiny governs Second Amendment cases, they can run almost anything you can throw at them through the intermediate-scrutiny atom-smasher and find nothing comes out the other side. This might be a convenient time for them to bolster the intermediate-scrutiny Second Amendment body of law.

This court seems quite willing to find that if a Second Amendment claim is found within valid public purpose limitation, the Second Amendment yields to the public purpose, if the public purpose is the type and manner that courts allow.

I read an argument here recently that said that the initial loss was actually beneficial, or at least was a lemon to make lemonade with.

putput
03-19-2012, 9:15 AM
Guns aren't barred on this venue, just gun shows...

Additionally, shouldn’t your post read: “Though I personally have doubts about this case, since I support The People’s Fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms, I wish all involved good luck today.”? :rolleyes:

OleCuss
03-19-2012, 9:35 AM
3) Now that intermediate scrutiny governs Second Amendment cases. . .

As someone who has been following this case for a while (but has no lawyerly credentials) I don't agree with a fair bit of your assessment.

But the quoted part is the part with which I take the greatest exception.

While some courts have applied something with a resemblance to intermediate scrutiny, I consider it to be a gross overstatement to say that it governs 2A cases. Ezell certainly doesn't read that way. Heller and McDonald sure didn't say that.

It might be more accurate to say that in the 9th Circuit even rational basis is currently too high a standard and we should not expect too much from an en banc panel.

But SCOTUS seems disposed to apply a core right standard to 2A cases and when it is not clearly a part of the core right which is involved then they may eventually apply some form of scrutiny. Too early to see how it actually sorts out in detail, however.

But intermediate scrutiny does not currently govern 2A cases. And in the 9th Circuit (so far) even intermediate scrutiny is not required - a wimpy rational basis is all it takes.

A win in this round of the case would be huge but should not be expected. A loss might be even better!

jdberger
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Whoops. Looks like we forgot to call the Clerk to tell them we were coming - I just did.

meg
03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Paid, receipt number 291, for two. I didn't specify, but it should go for the_quark and I. Josh, being a bright lad and all, should be able to sort that out. =)

1911_sfca
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Parking is always an issue in SF, and the way you resolve it is with $$. :-)

There is a small parking lot half way between 5th & 6th on Howard, a medium lot on the corner of 5th & Howard, and a large lot on 5th & Folsom. All three of these are between Lulu and the court, closer to Lulu's. Allow 10-15 minutes to walk to the court and DON'T walk down 6th street unless you want to see some "action". Walk down 5th or 7th to Mission.

1911_sfca
03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
FYI parking tickets are $65.

monk
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
FYI parking tickets are $65.

WTF?! Is that average going price? I haven't been to SF for about 2 years now, don't remember how much I paid for parking.

jdberger
03-19-2012, 11:10 AM
WTF?! Is that average going price? I haven't been to SF for about 2 years now, don't remember how much I paid for parking.

That's for a ticket - not for ordinary parking which is slightly less.....

1911_sfca
03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
That's for a ticket - not for ordinary parking which is slightly less.....

Oh yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, I mean a parking ticket as in expired meter.n if you park on the street, be very careful about reading the signs. For this length of time, I highly recommend a lot. The one between 5 & 6 is $10 right now.

1911_sfca
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I was surprised to see a 20-second spot about this case that was just shown on the channel 2 news at noon.

NoJoke
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM

-Brandon

I wanted to be sure I have this tweet thing set up properly....any tweets yet (today)? :confused:

berto
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
See y'all soon

jdberger
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I wanted to be sure I have this tweet thing set up properly....any tweets yet (today)? :confused:

Just a couple.

Kicker0429
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm at the Court House Cafe. Is there a gathering location yet?

jdberger
03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Nope. Folks should start streaming in soon.

Drivedabizness
03-19-2012, 1:02 PM
Best wishes to the entire team. Wish I could be there!

NoJoke
03-19-2012, 1:25 PM
:beer::beer: to the TEAM! :43:

berto
03-19-2012, 2:18 PM
Overflow room has some seats

greasemonkey
03-19-2012, 2:22 PM
All 6 of us are holding down the overflow room.

rkt88edmo
03-19-2012, 2:28 PM
Overflow room says wut?

rkt88edmo
03-19-2012, 2:38 PM
Judge - what guns are sold? Facts not included in case from district. Judge - If these are tanks or ak47s I'm not sure rights for firearms for home defense would apply to the case w/o knowing what is sold.

taperxz
03-19-2012, 2:38 PM
Sounds like the 9th doesn't want to touch this hot potato.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
03-19-2012, 2:41 PM
Sounds like the 9th doesn't want to touch this hot potato.

Curious which judges are asking these questions and if that theme is going to continue when it's the county's turn.

Mr_Monkeywrench
03-19-2012, 2:41 PM
thanks for the blow by blow guys

pbreed
03-19-2012, 2:45 PM
Following twitter feed looks a lot like dodge and delay "lets send it back to district for more facts..." IE that way we can tie up this and the other four pending cases for another year or two... 13 years of delay is not enough we can milk this for another year or two easy.

mag360
03-19-2012, 2:46 PM
Down the rabbit hole :Chief: But the guns they had then were much less dangerous, so it's all different now

OleCuss
03-19-2012, 2:47 PM
Yeah, I agree that the Twitter feeds strongly suggest we either lose or just get delayed longer. Not sure if Nordyke could reasonably request SCOTUS cert if the 9th sent this back down to the district over what seem to me to be rather non-commonsensical questions.

rkt88edmo
03-19-2012, 2:50 PM
Discussion on what level of scrutiny to apply.

Chief justice scopes out what history means in context of gunshows. Makes joke about pre1930s gun bloggers.

I dont have the judges memorized. Sorry

rkt88edmo
03-19-2012, 2:52 PM
Return to discussion of facts of case and what scrutiny this case falls under given facts in relation to 2A

rkt88edmo
03-19-2012, 2:54 PM
Questioning on facts of case and scope analysis first raised by oscanlonSP?