PDA

View Full Version : Decent gun safe for under $600

BoJackUSMC
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Any member here have or seen decent gun safe under $600?
My max price range is $600 to $650.
thank you
As of now, I am leaning toward gun safe that Ammo Bros is having sale right now. They are selling one for $599 right now.
http://www.ammobros.com/images/F6-F19.pdf
Stack On safe.

sd_shooter
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
If you're willing to get a Stack-on, then this one should also qualify:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=523577&highlight=winchester

It's the Costco Winchester safe, $499, and always "on sale." Seems to be equivalent to the one you're looking at.

StratORcaster
02-08-2012, 1:00 PM
^^^^
this

SFgiants105
02-08-2012, 1:04 PM
now let's see if we can find a Kirkland Model 700. I have the perfect Trader Joe's 3-9 to go with it too. :D

Saym14
02-08-2012, 1:19 PM
Cannon from COstco

llamatrnr
02-08-2012, 1:38 PM
Cannon or Bighorn from Costco, 'nuff said...

JavaBrewer
02-08-2012, 2:59 PM
I decided to take the road less traveled. My biggest issue with a traditional safe is that it screams for attention. I picked up a used Knaack Model 60 on Craigs list for $200 (delivered).

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/knaack.jpg

It took a couple weeks before a really clean one came along. I bought some Knaack touch up paint and plan to integrate it into a custom workbench in my garage. It will be bolted to the wall studs on 2 sides. It is NOT fireproof but will keep stuff dry and secure. Unless the thieves come with power cutting tools or a torch I think this box is == in terms of security to a low/mid level ($700 or less) safe. Pry/breaker bars and cheap saws are a no go with a jobsite box like this. I am going to line the interior with some felt covered plywood and throw a desiccant system.

BoJackUSMC
02-08-2012, 3:05 PM
thanks everyone.. I am going to stop by Costco this weekend

mike_the_wino
02-08-2012, 4:17 PM
Nice setup JavaBrewer. I have seen that setup before.

roushstage2
02-08-2012, 6:30 PM
I decided to take the road less traveled. My biggest issue with a traditional safe is that it screams for attention. I picked up a used Knaack Model 60 on Craigs list for $200 (delivered).

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/knaack.jpg

It took a couple weeks before a really clean one came along. I bought some Knaack touch up paint and plan to integrate it into a custom workbench in my garage. It will be bolted to the wall studs on 2 sides. It is NOT fireproof but will keep stuff dry and secure. Unless the thieves come with power cutting tools or a torch I think this box is == in terms of security to a low/mid level ($700 or less) safe. Pry/breaker bars and cheap saws are a no go with a jobsite box like this. I am going to line the interior with some felt covered plywood and throw a desiccant system.
I actually thought about something like that too. Everyone says the 30 min. fireproof rating is meh anyways. Those jobsite boxes are pretty beefy!

Tractor Supply Co. has a 24-gun Cannon for $600.

drkphibr
02-08-2012, 6:35 PM
Cannon or Bighorn from Costco, 'nuff said...

This ^^^^ hands down. Best deal (and warranty) for the money. You will outgrow it though ;-)

drkphibr
02-08-2012, 6:37 PM
thanks everyone.. I am going to stop by Costco this weekend

The big safes are usually not in the Costco stores. Online order for the most part. Then wait about 3 weeks (they say 4-6 but are much faster from what you'll hear) for delivery. Still can't beat it.

bsg
02-08-2012, 9:38 PM
with consideration to your budget... i'd suggest you check out the secondary market for a used safe; with some patience and tenacity, your money can go twice (or more) it's "buy new" retail value.

imo CL is a good site to begin the hunt; check it out daily. some good deals come up on the forum here as well.

JavaBrewer
02-09-2012, 8:39 PM
Nice setup JavaBrewer. I have seen that setup before.

I actually thought about something like that too. Everyone says the 30 min. fireproof rating is meh anyways. Those jobsite boxes are pretty beefy!

Tractor Supply Co. has a 24-gun Cannon for $600.
Once I get started on the project I will create a new thread detailing the process. I have a couple other small projects to complete but the Knaack is in my garage waiting for some attention.

JavaBrewer
09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes I know the thread is really old but thought I would provide a conclusion for anyone interested in a similar approach.

I cleaned up the Knaack jobsite box that I scored from Craigs list and after sitting in my garage for too long I got around to integrating it into a custom workbench.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/DSCN0028.jpg

The entire workbench is 4x4 and 2x6 lumber assembled and attached to the home with 1/2" lag bolts. The Knaack is bolted from inside in multiple locations. Needless to say it's not going anywhere. I took the opportunity to paint my existing cabinets, toolbox, and mini refrigerator to match.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/Knaack/IMG_20120917_100928.jpg

I have two small work top sections that lift out for clearance when I need access. The handle is made with galvanized pipe. Now all I need to do is trim out the plywood liner I inserted and add some mounting points for stuff.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/Knaack/IMG_20120917_101009.jpg

Yes a LONG way around getting a normal safe but then I have been known to take the road less travelled. Now that I have the space I am going to wade into the reloading waters :)

Carson
09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
The Champion Model T is also a decent safe in that price range.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes I know the thread is really old but thought I would provide a conclusion for anyone interested in a similar approach.

I cleaned up the Knaack jobsite box that I scored from Craigs list and after sitting in my garage for too long I got around to integrating it into a custom workbench.

The entire workbench is 4x4 and 2x6 lumber assembled and attached to the home with 1/2" lag bolts. The Knaack is bolted from inside in multiple locations. Needless to say it's not going anywhere. I took the opportunity to paint my existing cabinets, toolbox, and mini refrigerator to match.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/Knaack/IMG_20120917_100928.jpg

I have two small work top sections that lift out for clearance when I need access. The handle is made with galvanized pipe. Now all I need to do is trim out the plywood liner I inserted and add some mounting points for stuff.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/Knaack/IMG_20120917_101009.jpg

Yes a LONG way around getting a normal safe but then I have been known to take the road less travelled. Now that I have the space I am going to wade into the reloading waters :)

That finished workbench area looks OUTSTANDING!

JTecalo
09-22-2012, 4:28 PM
that is a nice job!!

Braddah Jay
09-22-2012, 7:40 PM
Just found a Cannon 24 rifle gun safe for $597 at Wal-Mart and you can put it on layaway if that helps.

Bull's_eye
10-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Badass garage man. Good work.

NastyNate
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice bench and good idea to integrate the KNAACK.

llamatrnr
10-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Costco online has the Bighorn on sale for $569, delivered, beginning Oct 11; heck of a safe, heck of a deal . . .

harley66
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
What ever safe a person gets... be sure to read the small print in the warranty.. Cannon has one of the best around... read the small print.. also, Coscto and other big box stores that sell the Cannon - its the Scout series and is next to their bottom of their line, still a Cannon but go to their web site OR call them before you buy, if its still what you want, then go for it... just know before you buy..

with buying a Cannon... be sure IF you buy the Safari Cannon - understand that series does NOT carry the lifetime warr

roushstage2
10-02-2012, 3:20 PM
Just found a Cannon 24 rifle gun safe for $597 at Wal-Mart and you can put it on layaway if that helps.
That thing is tiny for $600. It looks to be about 2/3 the size of the $600 Cannon TSC sells (and the TSC Cannons are not the Safari models).

with buying a Cannon... be sure IF you buy the Safari Cannon - understand that series does NOT carry the lifetime warr

I thought that was always the case, but a reply in a different thread a little while back made me look at the warranty for the Safari models more in-depth, and the only difference there was is that Safari (and H1, H2 and Wall Vault) Models have a 1-year warranty for locks and mfg defects: The Safari Series, H1, H2 and Wall Vault offer a one year warranty for lock and manufacturing defects..It just says lock and mfg defects; nothing about everything else being limited. So, seeing the thread you posted about the keypad...you'd be effed in that case and would be paying for a locksmith and new lock/keypad if you had a 1+ year old Safari. :)

harley66
10-02-2012, 3:39 PM
That thing is tiny for $600. It looks to be about 2/3 the size of the $600 Cannon TSC sells (and the TSC Cannons are not the Safari models).

I thought that was always the case, but a reply in a different thread a little while back made me look at the warranty for the Safari models more in-depth, and the only difference there was is that Safari (and H1, H2 and Wall Vault) Models have a 1-year warranty for locks and mfg defects: It just says lock and mfg defects; nothing about everything else being limited. So, seeing the thread you posted about the keypad...you'd be effed in that case and would be paying for a locksmith and new lock/keypad if you had a 1+ year old Safari. :)

just a little confuese to your post... Yes, if my cannon safe was a Safari and I called 10 years down the road and said my touch pad is doing strange things, Cannon would NOT send me a free touch pad. And from what I understood while on the phone with Cannon,, IF the Safari is involved in a Fire, flood, or attempted break in After the year - you are on your own..

Are we talking the same here??

Jel
10-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Just curious as to why you left the front exposed? Why not cover it up so that people wouldn't even know it is there?

Looks great BTW and very cool stealth "safe"!!

sleepr66
10-03-2012, 2:09 PM
Great idea with the job-box. Never thought of that. And a safe does scream; "Hey, all the stuff you would want to steal is right here!". No safe is impenetrable. Also Javabrewer, awesome shop set-up. Very clean I am jealous!

roushstage2
10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
just a little confuese to your post... Yes, if my cannon safe was a Safari and I called 10 years down the road and said my touch pad is doing strange things, Cannon would NOT send me a free touch pad. And from what I understood while on the phone with Cannon,, IF the Safari is involved in a Fire, flood, or attempted break in After the year - you are on your own..

Are we talking the same here??
The touch pad part, yes. The fire, flood or attempted break-in, no. The lock and mfg. defects are the only part of the warranty that are different, at least, that I can see anywhere.

five.five-six
10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Knaack box is a great idea, but if you want a deal on a traditional safe, you can't beat last minute "gota move and the safe can't come with me " craigs list deals.

harley66
10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
The touch pad part, yes. The fire, flood or attempted break-in, no. The lock and mfg. defects are the only part of the warranty that are different, at least, that I can see anywhere.

So your thinking the lock / touch pad on a Cannon Safari has a LIFE time warranty. IF you are thinking of actually buying a Safari - I would suggest you call cannon and verify that thought... Iam saying the lock/touchpad = one year, period... after that NO warranty of any kind..

ON the other Cannons.. up to the year - all is covered, parts and labor after the year, parts only for LIFE of the safe + the fire, flood or break-in.. I know this because they just sent me a new lock for my 10 year old Cannon - actually UPS had it today, but I was not home, I will post a picture of it tommrow..

Kinda highjacked this tread and I am sorry,,, To get a safe Under 600 - you can find one but how secure??? thats the buyers choice... Warranty,, read the small print so you know what to expect if and when a problem comes up..

I have googled some of the bigger names mentioned here.. most have a life time warranty simular to Cannon for the ORIGINLA owner ONLY>>> NO TRANSFERE>.

Cannon allows the transfere.. buyer beware...

roushstage2
10-05-2012, 12:16 AM
So your thinking the lock / touch pad on a Cannon Safari has a LIFE time warranty. IF you are thinking of actually buying a Safari - I would suggest you call cannon and verify that thought... Iam saying the lock/touchpad = one year, period... after that NO warranty of any kind..

ON the other Cannons.. up to the year - all is covered, parts and labor after the year, parts only for LIFE of the safe + the fire, flood or break-in.. I know this because they just sent me a new lock for my 10 year old Cannon - actually UPS had it today, but I was not home, I will post a picture of it tommrow..

:confused: No, I'm not thinking that at all. I've said the opposite every single time.
Here's from my first post, that you were confused about:
Safari (and H1, H2 and Wall Vault) Models have a 1-year warranty for locks and mfg defectsThen you said that if you called Cannon 10 years later about the keypad on a Safari model that you would be SOL, and asked me if I was talking the same thing as you. I said yes on that. I said no about the 1-year for fire, flood and break-in on a Safari model.

Look at the warranty page: http://www.cannonsafe.com/warranty.html

Warranty
The best lifetime safe warranty out there, PERIOD!

*Excludes Safari Series, H1, H2 and Wall Vault *ONE YEAR WARRANTY DETAILS

The Safari Series, H1, H2 and Wall Vault offer a one year warranty for lock and manufacturing defects..

The lock, dial or keypad and any manufacturing defects are the ONLY thing that Cannon specifies as having a 1 year warranty on the Safari. Fire, flood and break-ins are not stated in that 1 year warranty caveat. On every other Cannon, except the excluded models which includes the Safari, the lock, dial or keypad is covered for life. Therefore, if you had anything except one of the excluded models, you would get a new lock free of charge however many years down the road it is.

Their lifetime warranty policy page mentions nothing about the Safari being excluded: http://www.cannonsafe.com/lifetime_warranty_policy.html

ETA: CLIFF NOTES of what I'm saying:
The Safari model has a 1 year warranty on mfg defects and the lock/dial/keypad.
The Safari model has a lifetime warranty for fire, flood and break-in.

harley66
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
:confused: No, I'm not thinking that at all. I've said the opposite every single time.
Here's from my first post, that you were confused about:
Then you said that if you called Cannon 10 years later about the keypad on a Safari model that you would be SOL, and asked me if I was talking the same thing as you. I said yes on that. I said no about the 1-year for fire, flood and break-in on a Safari model.

Look at the warranty page: http://www.cannonsafe.com/warranty.html

The lock, dial or keypad and any manufacturing defects are the ONLY thing that Cannon specifies as having a 1 year warranty on the Safari. Fire, flood and break-ins are not stated in that 1 year warranty caveat. On every other Cannon, except the excluded models which includes the Safari, the lock, dial or keypad is covered for life. Therefore, if you had anything except one of the excluded models, you would get a new lock free of charge however many years down the road it is.

Their lifetime warranty policy page mentions nothing about the Safari being excluded: http://www.cannonsafe.com/lifetime_warranty_policy.html

ETA: CLIFF NOTES of what I'm saying:
The Safari model has a 1 year warranty on mfg defects and the lock/dial/keypad.
The Safari model has a lifetime warranty for fire, flood and break-in.

Just got off the phone with "Kenny" at Cannon.... Here is what he said... ANY Cannon SAFARI safe bought 2009 and newer is ONLY covered for one year - PERIOD... after that year there is NO warranty on the Safari for ANYYTHING.. He said the Safair's BEFORE 2009 were build and warrantied different - even if you buy the Safair directly from Cannon, NO Warranty after one year for anything / No lock / No Fire / No Flood and No break-in attempt

Now if this is what you have been saying and I have had a brain lock - then I appoligize. I was only pointing out that people really need to completly understand safe warranties before they buy so there is not confusion in the future..

I know this is an old thread and I will not post anylonger here - Iam sorry for getting so far off topic -

Turk
10-11-2012, 2:07 PM
I just got a Homeland safe level V. There level II is in you price range.

http://www.homelandsafes.com/Gunsafes.html